Daniel T. Rogers(b. 1943) - all my relatives - pafc668 - Generated by Personal Ancestral File

Daniel T. Rogers(b. 1943) - all my relatives


Robert Day +

1John Hoyt Lockwood, Western Massachusetts; a History, 1636-1925, Vol. 3, p. 281 (1926).
"(I) Robert Day, immigrant ancestor of this line, was born in England about 1604 and at the age of thirty years brought his wife Mary, age twenty-eight years, to America. Making the voyage on the good ship "Elizabeth," they reached Massachusetts Bay in April of 1634 and settled in Newtown, now Cambridge. Robert Day was made freeman May 6, 1635, and in 1636 he pressed on through the wilderness to become one of the settlers of the city of Hartford. He probably spent the remaining years of his life there, for he was still there in 1639. His name is now on the Founders' Monument in the old cemetery at the rear of Second Church, on Main Street, in that city. Robert Day's first wife died in Cambridge, and he married, second, Editha Stebbins, daughter of Deacon Edward Stebbins of Hartford, and they were the parents of four children, one of whom was Thomas, of whom further.
(II) Thomas Day, son of Robert and Editha (Stebbins) Day, and next in line, married Sarah Cooper, and had a son John, of whom further.

URL = http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/john-h-john-hoyt-lockwood/western-massachusetts-a-history-1636-1925-volume-3-kco/page-74-western-massachusetts-a-history-1636-1925-volume-3-kco.shtml.".

Thomas Butler +

1James Savage, John Farmer and Orlando Perry Dexter, A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England: A-C, Vol. 1, p. 321 (1860-2).
"BUTLER, THOMAS, Hartford, s. of Richard, m. Sarah , d. of Rev. Samuel Stone, had, beside eight or nine ds., s. Thomas, Samuel, Joseph, and John.".

Richard Butler +

1James Savage, John Farmer and Orlando Perry Dexter, A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England: A-C, Vol. 1, p. 321 (1860-2).
"BUTLER, RICHARD, Cambridge 1632, freem. 14 May 1634, rem. to Hartford bef. 1643, was rep. 1656-60, a deac. and d. 6 Aug. 1684. By first w. he had Thomas, Samuel, and Nathaniel, by sec. w. Eliz. had Joseph; Daniel; Mary wh. m. 29 Sept. 1659, Samuel Wright; Eliz. wh. m. an Olmstead; and Hannah wh. m. a Green. His wid. d. 11 Sept. 1691.".

Reverend Samuel Stone +

1Charles Edwin Booth, One Branch of the Booth Family, Showing Lines of Connection with One Hundred Massachusetts Bay Colonists, pp. 213-216 (1910).
Reverend Samuel Stone came on the Griffin, reaching Boston after a voyage of eight weeks, Sept. 4, 1633. The passenger list included many men of means and high standing, among them Rev. John Cotton, Rev Thomas Hooker, John Haynes, who became Governor of Massachusetts, and later of Connecticut, and others who were afterward prominent in colonial affairs. Mr. Stone was made Teacher1 of the church in Cambridge on Oct. 11th and remained there until Hooker's party went to Hartford in 1636.
He was bap. July 30, 1602, in Hertford, Herts, Eng.
d. July 20, 1663.
m. , first,
b. in Eng. d. before Nov. 2, 1640.
m., second, Elizabeth Allen, of Boston, before July 25, 1641.
b. d. shortly before Jany. 4, 1682.
she m., second, Lieut. George Gardner2, of Salem and Hartford, about 1673.
Rev. Samuel Stone was the son of, John Stone of Hertford, Eng. He was baptized in All Saints church and educated at Hale's Grammar School in that town.
He entered Emmanuel College, Cambridge, April 19, 1620; was made B, A , 1624; M. A., 1627.
In 1630 Mr. Stone went as Puritan Lecturer to the large market town of Towcester in Northamptonshire, and while there he was invited "by the judicious Christians that were coming to New England with Mr. Hooker," to be "an assistant unto Mr. Hooker with something of a disciple also." Winthrop, in his Journal, mentions "a fast at Newtown where Mr. Hooker was chosen pastor, and Mr. Stone teacher," October 11, 1633, and adds that the ceremony of ordination was the same that he had seen in Boston the day before in the case of Rev. John Cotton.
Upon the arrival of the Hooker party at their destination, one of the earliest transactions was the purchase of the land from the Indians, Rev. Samuel Stone and Elder William Goodwin being selected to undertake the negotiations. The territory included in the purchase was about coincident with the territory subsequently known as the township of Hartford. A previous purchase of a part of the same territory, a mile, wide along the Connecticut, by the Dutch, who built a trading post at the mouth of Little River in 1633, seems to have been wholly ignored. The portion needed for the little village was divided into home lots averaging two acres each. Mr. Stone's was on the north side of Little River, between Hooker's and Elder William Goodwin's. The next year war was declared against the Pequots, Capt. John Mason commanding the little army of ninety men, and Mr. Stone went with the men as their Chaplain. Capt. Mason, in reporting his victory, says: "It may not be amiss here also to remember Mr. Stone (the famous Teacher of the Church of Hartford), who was sent to preach and pray with those who went out in those Engagements against the Pequots. He lent his best Assistance and Counsel in the Management of those Designs, and the night in which the Engagement was, (in the morning of it), I say that Night he was with the Lord alone, wrestling with Him by Faith and Prayer, and surely his Prayers prevailed for a blessing; and in the very Time when our Israel was ingaging with the bloud-thirsty Pequots, he was in the Top of the Mount, and so held up his Hand, that Israel prevailed."
It seems that when Mason's little army reached Saybrook, Lion Gardiner and Capt. John Underbill, who commanded a detachment of twenty men that the English company had caused to be sent from the Massachusetts colony for the defence and protection of the Saybrook settlement, both opposed the expedition. Each one had seen military service in the Netherlands, and looked upon an attack on the most warlike tribe in New England as a very hazardous undertaking for so small a band. Capt. Mason finally turned to Mr. Stone "and desired him that he would that Night commend their Case and Difficultyes to the Lord." The chaplain did so, and in the morning told Mason "that though he had formerly been against sailing to Naraganset and landing there, yet now he was fully satisfied to attend to it." This appears to have decided the matter, as "they agreed all with one accord " to go on.
The General Court3 at Hartford, Oct. 8, 1663, gave to Mrs. Stone and her son Samuel five hundred acres of upland and fifty acres of meadow, in lieu of a former grant to the husband and father of a farm, for "his good service to the Country, both in the Pequot war and since."
About six years after Mr. Hooker's death, a quarrel began in the Hartford church that attracted the attention of all the churches in New England, and which occupies a large place in the history of early ecclesiastical affairs in the colony. It began with a difference between Mr. Stone and his Ruling Elder, William Goodwin, either about the admission of some member to the church, or the administration of the rite of baptism, but soon involved many other points of ecclesiastical polity, and, at a general council of the Connecticut and Massachusetts churches held in Boston in June, 1657, no less than twenty-one questions were discussed in a session extending over two weeks. This Hartford controversy was, for its circumstances, duration and obstinacy, the most remarkable of any of its day.
It affected all the churches and made its way into the affairs of societies, towns and the whole commonwealth. Cotton Mather in his figurative manner says; "From the fire of the altar there issued thunderings and lightning and earthquakes, through the colony."
It was considered the more remarkable as the church at Hartford had been famous for its instruction, light, gifts, peace and brotherly love. It was one of the leading churches of New England, and its dissensions were a ground of great sorrow to all the good people in the country. On the whole, respecting the controversy itself, the impartial verdict of history must be that in spite of many irregularities and doubtless a good deal of ill temper on both sides, the general weight and justice was with the defeated and emigrating party (see page 166.)
Mr. Stone survived this passage in his experience four years. They were years of seeming harmony in the church and of comfort to himself. Within a year after the adjustment of the church quarrel an associate Pastor was settled in connection with Mr. Stone, the Rev. John Whiting, and from then on, by reason of Mr. Stone's advanced age, the main part of the ministerial work devolved on Mr. Whiting.
The unfortunate affair which occupies so large a chapter in Mr. Stone's ministry, and for which it must be admitted he was largely responsible, is liable to obscure the many admirable qualities of one who was certainly, in spite of all his imperfections, a man of marked abilities and sincere godliness.
In the few of his writings4 which have been preserved to us he appears as a somewhat tedious writer by reason of the scholastic method of his thought and composition. He was a good talker, fond of anecdote, and had capacity for pat and epigrammatic expression ; all accounts agree as to his conversational powers and his influence over men. He was a man of great clearness of thought and marked power in argument, of wit, and quickness as well as strength of mind ; he was a leader of force, though not of the ability or of the conciliatory skill of Hooker.
But he obviously entertained very high views of the prerogatives of his office.
His conception of ministerial authority belonged more to the period in which he had been educated in England than to the new era into which he had come in New England. His own graphic expression, "A speaking aristocracy in the face of a silent democracy" is the felicitous phrase which sets forth at once the view he took of church government and the source of all his troubles. Cotton Mather speaks enthusiastically of his religious feeling and his zeal for the Church's spiritual welfare.
That he must have been a man of popular quality is shown by the feeling toward him of the soldiers of the Pequot expedition, and the selection of the name of his home in England, rather than that of any other of the founders, as the name of the new settlement on the bank of the Connecticut, is a lasting memorial of him. He was buried on one side of his distinguished colleague, Rev. Mr. Hooker ; Gov. Haynes, who came over in the same vessel with them, lying on the other.
Sarah Stone, b. before 1640. d. after July 5, 1690.
m. Sergeant Thomas Butler."

URL = http://www.archive.org/stream/onebranchofbooth00boot/onebranchofbooth00boot_djvu.txt.

James Hubbard +

1Edward Warren Day, One Thousand Years of Hubbard History, 866 to 1895: from Hubba, the Norse Sea King, to the Enlightened Present, p. 53 (1895).
"* James and Naomi (Cocke) Hubbard, of Mendelsham, Suffolk, England, were the parents of ten children. Benjamin, James, Rachel, and Samuel came to America, but probably none of the others. Thomas, the eldest son, was born in 1604, and with his wife Esther lived in Freeman Lane, near Horsley, down in Southwark, London.
Sarah, the eldest daughter, married John Jackson, and lived in Yarmouth, Norfolk. She was born in 1591 and had a son Robert, who served four years under Oliver Cromwell.
Rachel married John Brandish, of Ipswich, Suffolk, England, and came to New England in 1633. They lived in Salem, Mass., Wethersfield, and Fairfield, Ct., and had children Mary (b in Ipswich, Eng., in 1628, and m Francis Purdy, of Fairfield, Ct.), John (b in Salem, Mass., in 1633, and lived awhile in Fairfield and then removed to Flushing, New Netherlands), Bethia (.b in Wethersfield, Ct., in 1637, m Timothy Knapp, of Greenwich, near Stamford, Ct.), and a posthumous son (b in 1639 in Wethersfield).
Rachel (Hubbard) Brandish, after the death of her husband, married Anthony Wilson, of Fairfield, Ct. The names of the other four children of James are unknown.".