1Rev. Jacob Chapman, Thomas Philbrick and Family, 1583--1883, NEHGR Vol. 38, pp. 279-281 (1884).
"THOMAS PHILBRICK* is said to have come from Lincolnshire in England. Old records preserved in the family state that he and his family came in 1630 in the Arabella.
. . .
His wife Elizabeth died 12th mo. 19th, 1663, and in March, 1664, he calls himself "very aged." He died in 1667.
1. THOMAS PHILBRICK, by wife Elizabeth, had born in England:
2. i. JAMES, of Hampton in 1644, a mariner, who [m. 1st, Jane (daughter of Thomas) Roberts of Dover]? and 2d, her sister Ann Roberts. "In 1670 he was chosen, with others to run the Exeter line." In 1671 he had a grant of Lot 52, 40 acres, in the So. of Hampton, called "The new plantation" (now Seabrook). He had 10 children. He was drowned in the Hampton river, near the mouth of Cole's Creek, 16 Nov. 1674. His widow married 8 July, 1678, William Martin.
3. ii. JOHN, who m. Ann [Palmer ?] and was settled in Hampton in 1639. He had 7 children. On the 20th 8th mo. 1657, as they were going out of the harbor on their way to Boston, he, his wife and daughter Sarah and 5 others, were cast away and drowned.
4. iii. Dea. Thomas, b. 1624, m. 1st, Ann, daughter of William Knapp, Sen., of watertown, and settled about 1651 on the land in Seabrook now owned by George A. Philbrick. He was a prominent man, often chosen as selectman, representative, &c. His wife Ann died 17 May, 1667, leaving four children. On the 22d 7th mo. 1669, he m. 2d, Hannah, widow of John White of Haverhill, Mass., and daughter of Edward French, of Hampton, by whom he had three children. He died 24 Nov. 1700, a. 76.
5. iv. ELIZABETH, m. in 1642, 1st, Thomas Chase, who d. 1652, leaving 1. Thomas, 3 b. 1643, d. Oct. 1714; 2. Joseph,3 b. 1645, d. 12 Jan. 1718; 3. Isaac,3 b. 1647, m. Mary Perkins, and d. 1727; 4. James,3 b. 1649, m. Elizabeth Green; 5. Abraham,3 b. 1651, "slaine in ye wares in 1676." She m. 2d, Oct. 26, 1654, E. P. Garland, and had: 6. John,3 b. 1655; 7. Jacob,3 b. 1656; 8. Peter,3 b. 1659. Mr. Garland d. 4 Jan. 1661, and she m. 3d, Judge Henry Robey. She d. 11 Feb. 1677.
vi. MARY, m. about 1648, Edward, son of Robert Tuck, of hampton, who d. 1652, and had: 1. Edward,3 b. 1649, d. young; 2. Dea, John,3 b. 1651-2, m. Bethia Hobbs and had sixteen children. Mary2 m. 2d, James Wall, and had: 3. Mary,3 b. 1656, wife of John Marston; 4. Hannah,3 b. 7 March, 1658, m. Benjamin Moulton. James Wall d. 1659. His widow Mary lived until 1699.
vii. MARTHA, b. Watertown, 1675; m. 1st, 1657, John Cass, who d. suddenly in bed, 7 April, 1675. Their children were: 1. John3; 2. Samuel,3 b. 13 July, 1659, m. Mary Sanborn; 3. Ebenezer3; 4. Jonathan3; 5. Abigail3; 6. Mercy3 7. Mary.3 Gen. Lewis, son of Jonathan Cass, b. Exeter, 1782, was one of her descendants (REGISTER, vi. 246.) She m. 2d, William Lyons, of Rowley, Mass.".