1T. R. Marvin, Gen. Sketch of the Descendants of Reinold and Matthew Marvin, Who Came to New England in 1635, NEHGR Vol. 16, pp. 250-251 (Jul 1862).
"DESCENDANTS IN THE LINE OF MATTHEW MARVIN, ONE OF THE FIRST SETTLERS
II. MATTHEW MARVIN came to New England in 1635. He was one of the original proprietors of Hartford, Conn., and was also among the pioneers in the settlement of Norwalk, Conn. He d. in 1687. The Christian name of his 1st wife, who came with him from England, was Elizabeth. Late in life he m. for his 2nd wife, Mrs. Alice Kellogg of Norwalk.
Children, all by first wife:
1. Elizabeth, b. about 1624, came to New England, with her father, in 1635, m. Dr. John Olmstead of Hartford and afterwards of Norwich. She d. at Norwich, without issue, at an advanced age.
2. Matthew, b. about 1627, came to New England, with his father, in 1635. He was also one of the original proprietors of Norwich, which town he represented in the General Court in 1696 and 1697. His wife's Christian name was Mary.
3. Mary, b. about 1629, came to New England with her father in 1635. She d. in Norwich, March 29, 1713, a. 84. She was m. 1st, in 1648, to Richard Bushnell of saybrook. Their children were: Joseph, b. in Saybrook, May, 1651, m. Mary Leffingwell of Norwich, 1673, d. Dec. 23, 1748, a. 97; Richard, b. Sept., 1652; Mary, b. Jan., 1654-5; Maria, b. 1657. She was m. the 2nd time in 1660, to Dea. Thomas Adgate of Saybrook, and was his 2nd wife. Their children were: Abigail, b. in Norwich, Aug. 1661, m. Daniel Tracy, 1682; Sarah, b. 1663-4; Rebecca, b. June 1666; Thomas, b. March, 1669-70, d. 1761, a. 91.
4. Sarah, b. in 1632, m. 1st, William1 Goodrich of Weathersfield, Conn., Oct., 1648. 2nd Capt. William Curtis of Stratford, Conn., son of John Curtis, one of the first settlers of the town, by whom she had no children. She d. at Stratford, near the close of 1702. Children by first husband: Sarah, b. 1649, m. John Hollister, Junr.; William, b. 1651, d. young; John, b. May 20, 1653, m. Rebecca Alden; Elizabeth, b. 1658, m. Robert Welles; William 2d, b. Feb. 8, 1661, m. 1st, Grace Riley, 2d, Mrs. Mary Ann Ayrault; Ephraim, b. June 2, 1663, m. 1st, Sarah Treat. 2nd, Mrs. Jerusha Welles; David, b. May 4, 1667, m. 1st, Hannah Wright. 2d, Prudence Churchill; Mary, m. Joseph Butler; Abigail, m. Thomas Fitch.
5. Hannah, b. in 1634, m. Thomas Seymour of Norwalk, Conn., Jan., 1653. Children: Hannah, b. Dec. 12, 1654, m. Francis Bushnell, Oct. 12, 1675; Abigail, b. Jan. 1655-6; Mary and Sarah, twins, b. Sept. 1658; Thomas, b. Sept. 1660.
6. Abigail, b. at Hartford, Conn., m. John Bouton of Norwalk, Jan. 1, 1656, being his 2d wife. Children: John, b. Sept. 30, 1659; Matthew, b. Dec. 24, 1661; Rachel, b. Dec. 15, 1667; Abigail, b. April 1, 1670; Mary, b. May 26, 1671.
7. Rachel, b. at Hartford, Dec. 30, 1649, m. Samuel Smith of Norwalk. Children: Rachel, who m. Thomas Benedict; Lydia, who m. James Lockwood.".
1Donald Jacobus Lines, Smith Number, William Smith of Jamaica, The American Genealogist, Vol. 25, pp. 75-76 (Apr 1949).
"* 10. Samuel2 Smith, born [say 1649], died at Norwalk, Conn., between 8 May 1730 (will) and 18 Nov. 1745 (probate); married Rachel Marvin, baptized 30 Dec. 1649, daughter of Matthew and Mary Marvin. If he died shortly before his will was proved, he must have lived to be almost and perhaps more than 95 years old. He was apparently the youngest son, and accompanied his mother to Norwalk upon or following her second marriage.
44. i. Rachel3, b. (say 1677); m. at Norwalk, 13 May 1697, Ens. Thomas Benedict, son of Thomas and Mary (Messenger) Benedict.
ii. Sarah, d. before 1730; m.
iii. Lydia, b. (say 1682); m. at Norwalk, 23 Oct. 1707, James Lockwood.
v. Samuel, b. (say 1686); d. 25 Jan. 1764.
vi. Nehemiah, b. (say 1689); d. 1757.
vii. Ruth, b. (say 1692); m. at Ridgefield, 5 Nov. 1713, Jonah Keeler.".