Pool Family
(Capt. Micah Pool family of Derby, Connecticut)

The following article appeared in the GENEVA TIMES, Geneva, Ashtabula County, Ohio in an issue dated Wednesday, September 28, 1898 (no page number). The article was forwarded to me in response to a research request for assistance from the Ashtabula County Genealogical Society, Geneva, Ohio, to learn the parentage of Betsey (Pool) Cooper, wife of Asael Holton Cooper.

Read at the last annual reunion held September 7, 1898

Away back in the dim and forgotten past, about one hundred and fifty years ago a Child was born who was called Micah Pool. We have not the date at hand to show whether he was born in America or not. Of his ancestry, we know nothing, but suppose he was born in New England. He became the father of a large family of children, the first of which, John Pool, was born April 25, 1761; then came Ruth Pool, born April 20, 1763; Samuel Pool, February 28, 1765; Isaac Pool, February 4, 1767; Betty Pool, August 20, 1768; Mary Ann Pool, August 20, 1770; Micah Pool, June 25, 1772; Nabby Pool, May 20, 1774 (she died October 30, 1774); the second Nabby Pool, September 6, 1775; Sally Pool, November 20, 1780; Joseph Pool, July 11, 1782-Eleven sons and daughters or branches of this great family tree of whom we have a trace, except one, that of Micah Pool, Jr., who was born in 1772. With what interest we could read the full history of this whole family, could we be permitted to do so. They, no doubt, all married and had families of their own, and likewise the second and third generations; and when we reflect upon the fact of the changes in names by marriage, we are cognizant of the fact that some of the descendants of the Pool family may be living in our midst unaware, even right here in Geneva, and we can realize the truth of the old maxim that we are all of the same family. But let us return to our branch of this great tree of life, the foundation of which was Micah Pool, Jr. He took unto himself a helpmate in the person of Sarah Ketchum, of whose ancestry we know nothing, but suffice it to say she was rather small of stature and possessed of a kind and amiable disposition, industrious and frugal, who helped him to bear the burdens of life with Christian patience and fortitude. They raised a large family of children, who grew up to become useful members of society and a blessing to them in their old age.

The first born of this family was Albert Pool, who was born April 25, 1795; then Garry Pool, May 21, 1797 (he died July 17, 1804); Sally Pool, September 21, 1790; Electa Pool, January 7, 1802; Stanley Pool, January 19, 1804; Amanda Pool, March 3, 1806; Betsey Pool, April 18, 1808' Chauncey Pool, May 28, 1810; Nelson Pool, June 5,1812; Harriet Pool, April 18, 1815; Nathan Pool, January 13, 1820.

Incidents connected with the early years of our grandfather and grandmother transpired prior to the Revolutionary war. Grandmother Pool was born in 1776, the same year of the Declaration of Independence. The writer remembers hearing her tell of having seen Gen. George Washington pass by the house where she lived when she was a little girl. At that time the United States were colonies of Great Britian, and at the time grandfather's marriage the money of the country was after the manner of England, denominated by pounds, shillings and pence. It was the custom of the land then when a young man got married and set up for himself for his father to give him a setout, or in other words, goods and articles of household furniture, which was enumerated on what was called a distribution paper, with the price of each article carried out in pounds, shillings and pence. Our grandfather had such a paper and it is in existence to this day, setting forth all the articles given to him to commence for himself. Among the article were a two-year-old colt, an old cracked Iron kettle, six pewter plates, knives, forks, etc. I suppose it was to show that he became lawfully possessed of the same.

They commenced their early life in Connecticut near the city of Derby. Often have I heard him tell about going down to "Darby." We do not know how many years they lived there, but they became dissatisfied and concluded to go West, and accordingly packed up and moved to Central New York and bought a farm near Syracuse, where they lived for several years. He again became restless and decided to go to Ohio. which was then "way out West." Ohio was then known as the Northwest Territory, and belonged to Virginia, and was an almost unbroken wilderness. They embarked on the Erie Canal at a place called Weedsport and came to Buffalo, thence by boat to Ashtabula. They settled in the township of Kingsville about the years 1835. Their next move was to the township of Harpersfield, on what is now known as Clay street, where he worked for one Hiram Hickok. Soon after that he bought a farm, about two miles north of East Trumbull, with a log house on it, where he lived contented and prosperous until the year 1846, when he again became restless and carried away with the glowing account of the Country in Indiana, given him by one Dudley Marsh, a neighbor who had already gone there.

Accordingly he sold his farm, packed up his belongings and set out in the spring of 1846. He embarked at Ashtabula Harbor for Toledo. (How well do I remember the time.) At that time there was only one building on the east side of the river, a little old rickety tavern where the steamboats landed and their passengers and freight. We had uneventful voyage to Toledo, where we disembarked. It was there we saw one of the first railroads built in Ohio. The rails were flat bars of iron spiked on top of timbers runing lengthwise of the road. The locomotives were also very crude at that time. Their speed was not more than six or eight miles an hour.

At Toledo we took the canal for Lafayette, Ind. It was a long and tedious journey, compared with the mode of traveling today. Our destination was a little town called Monroe, in Tippecanoe county, some fifteen miles south east of Lafayette; and such a country, low, flat covered and abounding with rattlesnakes and malaria. Then was a time to try men's souls. His family was sick all summer, and in the fall he was ready to come back to Ohio. He landed his family and such things as he had left at Fairport late in October, 1846, with hardly a dollar, and came up to near where Perry station now is and occupied a house owned by Morgan Crosby, an old acquaintance, where he stayed until the spring of 1847. He then moved to Northeast Hartsgrove, where he bought ten acres of land with a little money that his daughter Amanda had saved from her earnings at her loom. With all the trials, hardships and reverses of our grandfather, our dear old grandmother bore them uncomplainingly.

Our grandfather lived in this place in a little log house until June, 1854, when he passed to the great beyond, at the advanced age of 82 years. His family continued to live there for a few years more, when they moved to East Trumbull. Our grandmother passed away at the ripe old age of 99 years, lacking three days; and only one remains, Aunt Betsey Cooper. But a few more years, and perchance only a few more days with some of us, and we too will have passed on to that bright and happy shore. We are all on board the great ship of human life which shall safely waft us o'er this tempestuous sea of trouble, and will at last moor in that peaceful harbor where the wicked cease from troubling and the weary shall find rest. Then let us so live that at last we may enter that celestial mansion prepared for us, that house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

Respectfully submitted,

H. F. Hunt, Historian,

S.E. Damon, Secretary 

Personally submitted by Don Engstrom, [email protected]

Return to New Haven County Page

pages / text are copyrighted by
Elaine Kidd O'Leary & 
Anne Taylor-Czaplewski
May 2002