Albert Beach Plant is one of the scientific fruit raisers of New Haven county, located at Branford, where he was born October 4, 1872, and where he owns a valuable tract of land which he is successfully devoting to horticultural pursuits. The family name is as old as the town of Branford and has long figured in connection with Connecticut’s history.
His parents were Albert Edwin and Betsy Woodward (Upson) Plant. The former was born in Branford, on the old Plant homestead on the West Main street road, and devoted his life to the occupation of farming until 1862, when he responded to the country’s call for troops and put aside all business and personal considerations. He joined the boys in blue of Company B, Fifteenth Connecticut Volunteer Infantry, and served for three years in defense of the Union. He then returned to Branford and was actively engaged in farming until about 1910, when he retired, and passed his last days on the old home place, where his death occurred December 21, 1914. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Betsy W. Upson, was a native of East Haven, Connecticut, and died in Branford in 1910. The family is related to Henry B. Plant, the founder of the Plant system of railroads, who was a native of Branford.
Albert Beach Plant acquired his education in the schools of Branford and took up the occupation of farming as a life work. he now owns the old homestead property, situated near his father’s place and formerly the summer residence of Henry B. Plant. For many years he has made a specialty of fruit growing and the raising of berries and a part of his farm has been especially adapted for that purpose. To this business he has given not only much time and attention but also has studied along scientific lines in order to gain expert knowledge concerning fruit growing. He has won a wide reputation in this connection and is regarded as one of the most successful fruit growers of his section of New Haven county. In order to put the business of growing fruit and vegetables on a business basis, the brothers, Albert B. and Ray Upson Plant, incorporated an operating company under the name of the A. E. Plant Sons’ Company, Incorporated, of which Albert B. Plant is treasurer and Ray U. Plant, secretary. The corporation does not own any farm land but operates the farms owned by Albert B. and Ray U. Plant and also leases adjoining land. They are engaged in growing fruit and vegetables for the New York, New Haven and Boston markets and raise farm products of the highest quality. Their strawberries and in great demand, being sought for by the best trade, and are sold to Huyler’s and other firms of like character. They have also won fame for their tomatoes.
On the 12th of May, 1904, Albert B. Plant was united in marriage at New Haven to Miss Luella Grace Russell, who was born in Seymour, Connecticut, and there began her education, which she continued in New Haven. She is a daughter of Frank and Lillian (Northrop) Russell, renowned Connecticut families of old origin, members of which have been prominent in the history of the state and nation. To Mr. and Mrs. Albert B. Plant has been born one child, Albert Morton, a native of Branford.
In his political views Mr. Plant is a republican but has never
sought nor desired office. He belongs to the First Congregational church
and he has membership in Widows Son Lodge, No. 66, F. & A. M., of which
he is a past master, having occupied the chair in 1910. He likewise has
membership with Mason Rogers Camp of the Sons of Veterans of Branford,
of which he is a past commander, and he belongs to the Connecticut Pomological
Society, thus keeping in touch with the advanced methods and expert knowledge
of the leading fruit growers of the country. His business affairs have
been carefully and wisely conducted and at the same time he has ever recognized
his duties and obligations of citizenship and has cooperated in all movements
which he has believed would prove of benefit to the community at large.
Modern History of
New York – Chicago
pgs 891 - 892
pages / text are copyrighted by
Elaine Kidd O'Leary &