Penders, John F.
JOHN F. PENDERS

Since taking up his duties as postmaster of Meriden, John F. Fenders has instituted many improvements in the administration of the office, and his work has received the hearty commendation of the business men of the city.

He was born in Hartford, Connecticut, but when six months old was taken by his parents to Mcriden, where his father, Edward Fenders, is still living. The mother, who bore the maiden name of Mary Lyons, passed away in 1913. The other living members of the family are: James, a resident of Hartford; and Andrew J., Mrs. Julia Kenney, Mollie and Helen, all residents of Meriden.

John F. Fenders received his education in the public schools of Meriden. While yet in school he sold newspapers and thus earned his way in part, and his life has been one of continual effort, so that the success which he has gained is attributable entirely to his own industry and good management. During school vacations he worked as a clerk in a grocery store but later took up the study of telegraphy. He became a good operator, but not finding conditions to his liking, he entered the employ of the Meriden Britannia Company, with which he remained for about ten years. He then became connected with the Journal Publishing Company and after traveling for a time in the interests of the job department became identified with the circulation department and later with the advertising department. He advanced until he became the head of both the advertising and circulation departments, which indicates the high estimate placed upon his business ability by the officers of the company. For a decade or more he was identified with the business management of the Journal but on the 6th of July, 1914, was appointed postmaster of Meriden and severed his connection with the Journal Company and on the 1st of August took charge of the postoffice. He has in many ways improved the service since taking office and has applied business principles to the handling of the mails. There are now fifty-six employes in the postoffice, not counting the sixteen substitutes, and there are in addition to the main office eight substations and one classified station. To successfully supervise the work of those under him and to keep in touch with the various departments and substations demands of the postmaster a high order of executive ability and this Mr. Fenders has manifested to a marked degree. The same qualities which enabled him to win rapid promotion in the management of his private business interests have made him more than usually efficient in the discharge of his official duties.

On the 20th of October, 1914, Mr. Penders was married to Miss Agnes A. Conway, of New Haven, and they have two sons, John F., Jr., born December 6, 1915, and Edmond, born November 14, 1918.

In politics Mr. Penders is a democrat but has ever been nonpartisan in spirit, placing first the welfare of his community. It is well known that all forward movements receive his heartiest support and he has cheerfully given much of his time to work for the benefit of the city. He is a director of the public library and is active in the work of the chamber of commerce. His religious faith is indicated by his membership in St. Joseph's Roman Catholic church and for nine terms lie was president of the Young Men's T. A. B. Society, of which he is now a trustee. His fraternal connections include membership in Silver City Council, No. 2, K. of C., of which he is chancellor, and in the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. Along strictly social lines he is connected with the Colonial Club, one of the leading organizations of the kind in the city.
 
 


Modern History of New Haven
and 
Eastern New Haven County

Illustrated

Volume II

New York Chicago
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company 
1918

pgs 131 - 132

 
Return to New Haven County Page

THANKS FOR VISITING
NEW HAVEN 
COUNTY BIOGRAPHIES
pages / text are copyrighted by
Elaine Kidd O'Leary & 
Anne Taylor-Czaplewski
May 2002