"Shown on 1869 map as owned by Eliakim Jones.
Located on the westerly side of Rte. 32, at the junction of
Old Tolland Turnpike. Turnpike on westerly side of Rte. 32
has been closed.
The house which is now standing is about 38 feet long, has
two rooms and a big hall downstairs, with same on the second
floor and an attic above. There is a cellar under the whole
house. It did have hand-hewn beams with wooden pegs, wide floor
boards, old metal latches on the doors and windows with 12 over
12 panes. The flooring has now been replaced with oak.
There are no fireplaces in this part of the house.
In 1919 when Mr. and Mrs. Charles Zemek purchased the property,
the ell, about 32 x 24 feet was still in use. This was at the
back of the present house and at right angles to it.
In this ell was a big stone chimney and fireplace with crane
for the kettles and a Dutch oven. There was also a mantel
over the kitchen fireplace, but not over the one in the other
room of the ell.
Mr. and Mrs. Zemek found many old shoe lasts in the attic of
the main house when they moved there. One wonders how many
pairs of shoes may have been pegged beside the old fireplace.
Sometime after 1942 the ell, which had fallen into disrepair
was completely demolished.
The 1978 survey (below) suggests construction c1830 and calls the house a Greek Revival.
* Town assessor's office: 1673 Stafford Road is a four bedroom house on 1.700 acres on the west side of
Stafford Rd (Route 32), the south side of Old Tolland Turnpike, and the east side of the railroad; it is a little
south of Storrs Road (Route 195).
In 1963 the Society made a survey of old houses. The form for this house includes architectural data and a title history back to 1813.
Around 1978 a survey resulted in 332 completed forms on individual houses.
This house is on Form #317.
E. Jones House
Merrow Road [?]
Original house stood
where foundation is
South side of buildings
Mrs. Charles Zemek
and her flock
Front of house
facing Merrow Road [?]
Ell, which was the
This is the north side
facing Old Tolland Turnpike
Note: "-older photos, courtesy of Mrs. Charles Zemek." Visit to this site 29 Jan 2010 clarifies that the
house is not on Merrow Road but at the SW intersection of Stafford Road (Route 32) and Old Tolland Turnpike.
The demolished ell has been replaced with an addition to the larger house.
In 1857, William. C. Eaton and H. C. Osborn prepared a wall map of Tolland County. The map shows this house as the property of E. Jones.
|1857 District VI|
In 1869, an atlas of Tolland and Windham counties was compiled by O. W. Gray. The atlas's Mansfield map indicates this house as the property of E. Jones.
|1869 District VI|
District VI House 11, E[liakim] Jones House (1869)
Jones: Eliakim Jones (1788-1871) was the son of Eliakim and Rebecca (Webster) Jones of Andover CT. He
married 11 Jun 1812, Betsey Tilden (1787-1869). They had no children and were buried in the Tilden Cem.
Eliakim was mill superintendent for four years (Society's Old Houses computer database.)
He was listed in the 1870 census: aged 82, in the family of Charles Tilden [who bought the house in 1869]
This file was created: 28 Jan 2010 by George Waller
This file was edited: 30 Jan 2010 by Donna Clouette