Shown on 1869 map as owned by Asa Thomas. This house was 'modernized' in the early 20th Century and then 'restored' in the late 20th Century. A 1969ish narrative describes the original work by the Houston's and comments on Mr. Houston's cider at "Barny's Place" as a must-do for a Fall Frolic from the Campus into the Forties. It reports on the restoration in 1967 with the attendant "broken fingernails, blood blister, mashed thumbs and such trivial wounds."
"Dates of 1801, 1808, 1833 nd 1836 are written in careful script on the bricks above the lintel." from the 1967 Report. Further research is necessary to determine the date and style of this house..
In 1963 the Society made a survey of old houses. The form for this house includes architectural data and a title history back to 1816.
|1963 - Front Route 44-A near Hunting Lodge Road.||1963 - East end showing original window in attic.||1963 - Back of House, from Baxter Road. The three upstairs windows are original|
|1963 - North wall shows marking "^M 99" of "66 VW".||1963 - Living-room, southeast corner. 1966 renovations and construction.|
In 1857, William. C. Eaton and H. C. Osborn prepared a wall map of Tolland County. The map shows this house as the property of John M. Turner.
|1857 District VI|
In 1869, an atlas of Tolland and Windham counties was compiled by O. W. Gray. The atlas's Mansfield map indicates this house as the property of Asa Thomas.
|1869 District VI|
District VI House 7, Asa Thomas House (1869), Turner Family
This file was created: 24 Feb 2010 by Patrick McGlamery
This file was edited: 00 Feb 2010 by