"This house, now covered with green shingle siding, is
located just south of the Merrow post office and store on
a long driveway which 1eads off the road that crosses the
river to Coventry. It is between the railroad and Rte. 32.
Several persons have told me that the second floor and attic
are the original one-and-a-half story house The lower
floor and cellar were probably put in in the early 1900's.
In the east end are two attic windows, 9 over 6 panes and
above them in the peak of the gable is one of four small panes.
Altho there is a fireplace in the living-room, on the south
east side of the house, it definitely is not old. And the
folding, or rather sliding doors between the two parts of
the livingroom are similar to those installed about the turn
of the century.
The front door opens into a large hall with stairs to the
second floor. This is the door to the left end of the
The title history mentions a dwelling house in 1853. The survey suggests the
house was a boarding house in the early 19th century.
Further research is necessary to determine the date and style of this house.
* Town assessor's office: 3 Merrow Road is a 6 bedroom house on 9.956 acres on the south side of Merrow Road,
west side of Stafford Road, and east side of the railroad.
In 1963 the Society made a survey of old houses.
The form for this house includes architectural data and a title history back to 1853.
Also included is a deed and sketch for "The Spring" which fed water to a number of
Merrow Station houses through a complex piping system.
J.B. Merrow House
House faces north.
South side of house.
In 1857, William. C. Eaton and H. C. Osborn prepared a wall map of Tolland County. The map shows this house as the Merrow Homestead.
|1857 District VI|
In 1869, an atlas of Tolland and Windham counties was compiled by O. W. Gray. The atlas's Mansfield map indicates this house as the property of J.B. Merrow.
|1869 District VI|
District VI House 10, J[oseph] B[attell] Merrow (1869), Merrow Homestead, The Spring at Merrow Station.
A barn on this property is included at Historic Barns of Connecticut
Merrow: Joseph Battell Merrow (1819-1897) was the son of Joseph Makins and Mary (Woodbridge) Merrow of East Hartford CT. He
married Harriet L. Millard (1821-1921). They had five children and were buried in the New Storrs Cemetery.
He was listed in the 1870 census as Joseph Merrow, age 51, with wife Harriet and five children. The census showed he
had $1,000 real estate and $18,000 personal property.
The Illustrated popular biography of Connecticut, publ. 1891,
by John Augustus Spalding (p.328) has the following biography of J.B. Merrow:
Southwick's History of Merrow Station (an 8 MB file) contains many details of Merrow's
life and manufacturing interests.
The two photographs below may be of this house. They are located in the Society's Photograph File under "Merrow"
The first is labeled "Home of Joseph Merrow" and "95.9.2"
The second is labeled "Home of George Merrow" and "95.9.6"
Home of Joseph Merrow
Home of George Merrow
This file was created: 30 Jan 2010 by George Waller
This file was edited: