Chute Family Detailed Military Service Records
Chute Family Extended Military Service Records

Page Last Updated:      Thursday, January 21, 2016

Military records of Chute men and women in the Armed Forces worldwide are normally confined to a brief list of enlistment and discharge dates, occasionally a fuller description of the rank and specific unit to which the veteran was assigned. Typically, these citations are in the History section of the web site. The result was that the single "History" page was becoming rather cumbersome.

Meant to be an adjunct to the History page, this is reserved for service records which are more detailed, or may have more detailed historical information attached to specific skirmishes or battles, which will help situate Chute family members within a stronger historical context. Links are provided for each entry to the Family Group page as well as the brief entry on the History page. The population of this page with extensive military service entries will be ongoing.

Service Record: Corporal George Washington Chute, III Civil War (U.S.)

Note    Detailed Service Record 1         Back to History        Back to Corporal George Washington Chute, III.

Corporal George Washington Chute, III: Company C, Massachusetts 53rd Infantry Regiment

Corporal George Washington Chute, III, Company C of the 53rd Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, Civil War. Photo courtesy of Pat Clevenger. Photo URL:

George Washington Chute was an engineer at the time of his enlistment; it is assumed he was assigned to the Engineer Corps. George was 21 when he enlisted in Leominster, Massachusetts; he was assigned as a Private in Company C and honorably discharged as a Corporal. Of special note: Took part in the Siege (and Surrender) of Port Hudson, in Louisiana.

"The 53rd Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry was organized at Groton, Mass., October 17 to November 6, 1862. Officers: John W. Kimball, Colonel; George H. Barrett, Lieutenant Colonel and James A. Pratt, Major. Duty in New York, November 1862 to January 17, 1863. Served in the 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 19th Corps, February 3 to August 12, 1863. Duty at Carrollton, LA, January 30 to March 6, 1863. Expedition to Bayou Sara, March 12. Demonstrations on Port Hudson, LA, March 13 to 20 Banks (General Nathaniel P. Banks) 1st Teche Campaign, from April 8 to May 22. Engagement at Fort Bisland and battle of the Teche, April 12 - 13. Actions near New Iberia, April 15 - 16. Siege of Port Hudson, May 24 to July 8. Actions near Port Hudson, May 24 - 25, Big Sandy Creek, May 26. Assaults on Port Hudson, May 27 and June 14. Engagements with sharpshooters, May 28. Action near Clinton, June 6. Capture of Port Hudson, July 8. Embarked for Donaldsonville July 15, reporting to General Grover operating in West Lousiana. Duty at Baton Rouge, August 2 - 12. Moved to Cairo, IL, August 12 - 19, to Massachusetts August 20 - 24. Mustered out, September 2, 1863.

A Brief History of the Service of the 53rd Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry

"The Fifty-third Regiment was in the Department of the Gulf. It arrived at New Orleans January 30, 1863, after a stormy passage. It encamped at Carrollton, reporting to Brigadier General Emory, and attached to the Third Brigade, Third Division; and was employed six weeks in improving the drill and discipline of the regiment.

On the 6th of March, the Fifty-third was ordered to Baton Rouge, and, on the 12th, was sent on a reconnoissance up the river, where it encountered, and drove in, the enemy's pickets. On the 13th, it marched with the division in the expedition to Port Hudson; but arriving after the object of the expedition was accomplished, it returned to Baton Rouge, where it remained till April 1, and was ordered to Algiers with the rest of the division, and, on the 9th, took passage for Brashear City, to join in the movement through the Teche country, which began April 11. The enemy having been encountered at Pattersonville on the 13th, the Fifty-third was engaged in supporting a battery, and skirmishing towards the fortifications, when it was under fire of musketry and shell [for] five hours. The flag of the Fifty-third was the first to be place[d] upon the ramparts of Fort Brisland.

The regiment lost in this action, one officer and thirteen privates, killed and wounded. But eight companies were engaged, two being on detatched service.

On the 15th, it marched with the division in pursuit of the retreating enemy, with an occasional skirmish, and reached Opelousas on the 20th, where it remained a fornight, employed in drill and picket duty.

May 24. - The army having moved towards Port Hudson, the Fifty-third was detailed as guard for the engineer corps, and led the column. Encountering the enemy's skirmishers, the regiment was immediately moved forward; three companies, thrown out as skirmishers, soon became engaged with the enemy, and succeeded in driving them back, so that the engineer corps could proceed in its labors.

May 27. - The day of the general attack upon Port Hudson, the regiment was ordered forward, and was soon under fire of shot and shell. It moved to the front to support a battery, and to the front line of skirmishers. It lost at this time thirty killed and wounded.

May 28. - It joined the brigade, and remained until June 1, engaged in picket duty, and fortifying the position; it was then ordered to occupy riflepits at the front, and sustained a loss of five men, killed and wounded.

June 5. - It marched as a part of the expedition to Clinton, which occupied four days, and resulted in driving the enemy from that locality. On the 13th it was ordered to join in the assault upon the fortifications at Port Hudson. This assault cost the regiment heavily. Of the three hundred officers and men (being but eight companies) who were sent in, seven officers and seventy-nine men were killed and wounded.

On the 19th of June, the Fifty-third was ordered to the front in support of a battery, where it remained till the surrender of Port Hudson, July 9. It was then ordered on picket duty five miles from Port Hudson, when it marched with the brigade to Baton Rouge. On the 15th it embarked for Donaldsonville and remained in camp, engaged in drill and picket duty until August 2 when it returned to Baton Rouge, and, on the 12th, was ordered to Massachusetts via Cairo. It arrived at Cairo August 19, and at Fitchburg, Mass., the 24th, where, after a public reception, it was furloughed one week, and mustered out of service September 2, by Captain I. R. Lawrence.

Died: 146; Killed: 18; Discharged: 54; Prisioners: 0; Deserted: 21

Source: From History of Massachusetts in the Civil War, by William Schouler, pp 471-473, E. P. Dutton and Co., publisher, 1868. Compiled by Walter G. Blenderman. Prepared 10/16/1996; updated 11/2/1997; code revised 5/2/2000

There are many excellent websites dedicated to providing historical information on the Surrender of Port Hudson.

Service Record: Lieutenant Frederick Russell Chute, World War I (U.K. and Canada)

Note    Detailed Service Record 2         Back to History        Back to Lieutenant Frederick Russell Chute.

From the Canadian Virtual War Memorial--Military Service:-Rank: Lieutenant, Age: 47, Force: Army, Unit: Canadian Machine Gun Corps, Division: 17th Motor Machine Gun Company. Additional Information:-A miner by trade and residing in Willows Camp, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, he enlisted in the CEF on 28 Nov 1916 in Victoria. Son of Edward Russell Chute and Mary Nina Chute; brother of Edward Leonard Chute of Southwick Place, Hyde Park, London, England. Lieutenant Frederick Russell Chute is commemorated on Page 216 of Canada's First World War Book of Remembrance.

Source: See Source Reference.

Lieutenant Frederick Russell Chute, son of Edward Russell Chute and Mary Nina Chute died on August 14, 1917, at the age of 47. Although British, he was a member of the Canadian Machine Gun Corps, the 17th Motor Machine Gun Coy (Army). He is buried in the Witley (Milford) Cemetery in Surrey (United Kingdom). His grave reference is listed as D. 28.

The date of his death suggests that he was one of the many casualties of the Third Battle of Ypres. Allied commanders had decided that they could not win the war without disabling the German submarine bases. According to General Sir John Davison,

"The objects before the British in delivering the offensive in Flanders were briefly, from a strategical point of view, to pin the German Army to the British front in the North and draw in their Reserves; and from a tactical point of view:

  (a) To free Ypres by gaining the Passchendaele ridge which lies in a semi-circle round the eastern side and dominates the town and surrounding country.
  (b) To gain the Passchendaele ridge, thereby commanding with long-range gunfire the enemy's communications through Roulers and his submarine bases at Ostend and Zeebrugge.
  (c) To exploit to the full any tactical success gained (for this special preparations were made).

This offensive was hampered by the late arrival of necessary equipment, the reluctance of the French in joining the Allied offensive and extraordinarily bad weather: the heaviest rainfall that the area had seen in years. The photos of World War I soldiers up to their hips in mud would have been taken during this period.

"The Third Battle of Ypres - commonly referred to simply as a 'Passchendaele' - is commonly cited today as an example (along with the July 1916 Battle of the Somme) of British Commander-in-Chief Sir Douglas Haig's enormously costly attritional war strategy. In heavy rain and glutinous mud predominantly British troops eventually succeeded in capturing the small village of Passchendaele in the autumn of 1917, often regarded as a minor gain albeit achieved at heavy cost in casualties.

The word "Passchendaele" was and has been used as a reproach to British generalship, and as a symbol of waste and useless suffering. To the men who actually fought, such an attitude might be intelligible, for their horizon was limited by the expanse of mud and waste on every hand, by the incessant fire to which they were subjected, by the comparatively insignificant gains of ground at great sacrifice, and by the abnormal fatigue and hardship.

Similarly to the wounded and to those who had lost their husbands, sons and brothers it appeared that heavy suffering had been inflicted and limbs and lives lost with little or no result so far as winning the war was concerned. To the gunner during the latter period of the offensive, day in and day out handling his mud-spattered ammunition with unspeakable fatigue, constantly endeavouring to save his guns from disappearing into the morass, serving his pieces clustered round the only solid means of approach, the duckboard pathway, under a concentrated and almost continuous hail of enemy projectiles; to the infantryman heavily equipped staggering through an interminable sea of mud towards what appeared to him as certain death, the physical and mental strain was well-nigh unbearable. A blank wall on every side and no apparent end to the misery." General Sir John Davison

Information courtesy of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Battles: General Sir John Davison on the Third Battle of Ypres, 1917

Service Record: Sergeant Herbert Alvin Murray Chute, World War I (Canada)

Note    Detailed Service Record 3         Back to History        Back to Sergeant Herbert Alvin Murray Chute.

Sergeant Herbert Alvin Murray Chute, son of Henry Chute and Martha Hagan Chute, and husband of Althea S. Bethel Chute of Lockeport, Nova Scotia, Canada, Service Number: 282507, died on September 27, 1918 at the age of 38. He is buried in the Quarry Wood Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France. Grave Reference: III. B. 36. He was a Sergeant in the Canadian Infantry (Nova Scotia Regiment), in the 85th Bn. Division.

The date of his death points to participation in the taking of Bourlon Wood by the Allies:

"On September 3, 1918, the day after the Canadian Corps breached the Drocourt-Qu�ant Line, a directive was issued for a general Allied offensive on the entire front from the Meuse to the English Channel, with four great hammer-strokes to be delivered at crucial points. The timetable for these blows called for striking the enemy on four successive days. The second of these assaults was to take place on September 27, and was a joint attack by the First and Third British Armies in the general direction of Cambrai to capture the northern part of the Hindenburg Line. Field-Marshal Sir Douglas Haig ordered the First Army to seize Bourlon Wood and cover the Third Army's left flank as the latter advanced on Cambrai and subsequently on to Valenciennes. The capture of Bourlon Wood was assigned to the Canadian Corps, which would then push forward to establish a defensive flank northeast of Cambrai. Farther south the British Fourth Army, supported by the French First Army, would join the battle on September 29 in an assault on the main Hindenburg position.

The first obstacle General Sir Arthur Currie's forces had to overcome was the Canal du Nord. Because the Canal du Nord was impassable on the northern part of his front, General Currie had his boundary with the Third Army shifted 2,377 metres to the south, and proceeded with preparations for the Canadian Corps to make its initial attack through a dry area between Sains-lez-Marquion and Moeuvres. It was an intricate operation introducing the difficult problem of moving the whole Corps through a narrow opening before fanning out with four divisions engaged on a battlefront that would rapidly expand to over 10,000 metres.

In the dusk of the evening of 26 September the Canadians moved forward. By midnight they were assembled opposite the dry section of the canal, huddled together for warmth, and for the most part in the open. The night wore on and there was no evidence of enemy counter-preparation. Suddenly, as dawn was breaking, the opening barrage flashed out, shocking the enemy into action. Be-fore they could retaliate, the initial waves had crossed the canal and were fanning out from the bridgehead. Nevertheless, the follow-up troops suffered casualties as the enemy, alive to the danger, subjected the canal bed to a violent bombardment. The results justified Currie's generalship. He acquired the canal at relatively light cost, but more than that, Bourlon Wood the essential objective, was also taken.

The Canadians then went on to free Cambrai. After leaving the Amiens front the Corps had liberated 54 towns and villages standing on more than 300 square kilometres of French soil. In its hard fighting the Corps suffered more than 20,000 casualties. On the night of November 10-11 the Canadians entered Mons. The return had been long and arduous and the hard years of the war a bitter experience. Then, on November 11 at eleven o'clock the Armistice was in effect, and hostilities ceased."

There is a memorial dedicated to the Government of Canada in Bourlon Wood. "The Canadian Bourlon Wood Memorial commemorates the attack across the Canal Du Nord on 27 September 1918. It is erected on ground donated by the Comte de Franqueville, who was Mayor of Bourlon at that time."

The Bourlon Wood memorial website provides several photographs of the surrounding area, and inadvertently also provides one of the more amusing warnings you'll read in a website about war memorials:

"Please be aware that there is a school at the bottom of the hill and therefore the danger of young children."

Gee, who knew that young French schoolchildren could be so dangerous?


Other Sources:

Bourlon Memorial, Veteran's Affairs, Canada

Burial information courtesy of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Service Record: William Henry Leicester Stanhope, 11th Earl of Harrington World War II (Ireland)

Note    Detailed Service Record 4         Back to History        Back to William Henry Leicester Stanhope, 11th Earl of Harrington.

Was a member of the King's Royal Hussars, "right hand man" to Major Rathdonnell of Lisnavagh, County Carlow, World War II.

Grand Admiral Karl Doenitz , President of the German Reich and Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, snapped his briefcase shut, sat down and awaited the knock. The banging and shouts were becoming louder, the words more discernibly English. Had it really only been 23 days since the F�hrer's suicide? He wondered how the Allies would treat him. He was, of course, Hitler's designated heir. And, as the mastermind of Germany's entire U-Boat campaign, the Admiral had already graced the cover of Time magazine on two occasions. But he had never been a member of the Nazi party. And perhaps, with the Russian Red Army running amok across Eastern Europe, the Allies would need a man of Doenitz's experience to rally a German army in defence against the inevitable Communist onslaught. Hitler himself had been convinced until the end that Britain would eventually side with Germany in this war. The door did not knock. It was pushed open. A tall, good-looking soldier in the uniform of the 15th-19th Hussars filled the gap. Doenitz noted the man's rank with dismay.

'I will not answer to a Lieutenant', he said haughtily. 'I wish to see your Commanding Officer'.

William Henry Leicester Stanhope, 11th Earl of Harrington, levelled his Enfield revolver at the Grand Admiral's chest and replied: 'You come with me, you bugger'.

At least that was the version of events Bill Harrington gave me when I called to visit him in October 2005. Since his demise, I have tried hard to confirm this tale. But alas I have failed. Bill was certainly in Flensburg when Doenitz was arrested. But the Grand Admiral was arrested, in private, when he stepped on board the house-boat Patria to negotiate with Eisenhower's deputy. Nobody from Bill's regiment was present that day. I've checked everything, including my grandfather's campaign diary. And Bill was my grandfather's No. 2 during the war.

But no matter. Old soldiers are like old fishermen and sometimes the size of the catch increases dramatically. And Bill was nothing if not dramatic. Anyone who knew Bill Harrington was greatly impressed by him. Perhaps it suited him to believe that he was the man who arrested the last President of the Third Reich. Or perhaps he was simply winding me up. He certainly had a wicked sense of humour and was constantly trying to make life more entertaining for those around him.

Source: "Heroes and Villians: Bill Harrington, 11th Earl of Harrington (1922-2009)". Author: Turtle Bunbury, of Turtle Accessed 28-Aug-10.
Cited as Additional Sources: Piers Dennis, Cilla Harrington, Charlie Murless, Ben Jellett, Hugo Jellett, Thady Dunraven, Ana Wyndham-Quin, Alan Lillingstone, Brendan McNally, Elizabeth Perez, Peter Duckers, Doug Mayman, Harold Peacock, Frankie Ward, Sue Craigie, Aylson Doyle and Karen Shanahan.

Service Record: James Robert Merge, World War II (State of West Virginia, United States)

Note    Detailed Service Record 5         Back to History        Back to James Robert Merge.

Son of George E. Merge and Margaret Elizabeth Chute Merge. Branch of Service: Army. Rank: 2nd Lt. Service Number: 0-717251. Date of Death: 1944/09/09. Place of Death: Dusseldorf. Cause of Death: KIA. Place of Burial: Mt. Calvary Cemetery, Wheeling. Source: WV Vet Mem Application;Death Certificate. Notes: Age at death: 22. Documents: West Virginia Veterans Database Record Detail. Source: West Virginina Division of Culture and History. James had enlisted in 1943 in the Army Air Corps. According to the combat chronology published in Air Force History for September 1944, "Eighth AF: 350-plus B-17's bomb M/Ys at Mannheim and Mainz, armament plant at Dusseldorf and 10 T/Os. 8 B-17's are lost, mostly to AA fire..." Another version of the events of September 9, 1944 appeared in an article written by Alicia P. Q. Wittmeyer for the Virginian-Pilot on August 11, 2008: "The Liberty Belle isn't just a working model of a B-17, built years after the war was over. It actually flew in WWII and saw combat. The 390th Bomb Group was attacking a target in Dusseldorf, Germany, on Sept. 9, 1944, when one of the planes was hit in the bomb bay. Its bombs exploded, and most of the planes in the formation were instantly destroyed. The Liberty Belle struggled back to its home base and managed to complete 64 more missions in the war." (Source:

Service Record: Gilbert Randall Chute, Civil War (State of Massachusetts, United States, Union Army)

Note    Detailed Service Record 6         Back to History        Back to Gilbert Randall Chute

Gilbert Randall Chute, enlisted as a private in the 2nd Heavy Artillery Regiment, Massachusetts on 22 DEC 1863, at the age of 43. He was assigned to Company M, Unit 881.


"The recruiting of the 2d Regt. Mass. Vol. Hy. Arty. was authorized by Governor Andrew as early as May, 1863, and Major Jones Frankle of the 17th Regt. Mass. Vol. Inf. was designated as its colonel.

It was originally intended as a veteran regiment to be recruited from the members of nine months organizations whose terms of service were about to expire, but in the end its recruits were gathered from a much wider field. At its rendezvous, Camp Meigs, Readville, recruiting proceeded slowly through the summer and fall of 1863. In July and August, Companies "A", "B", "C", and "D" were enlisted and mustered into the service, and on Sept. 5, these four companies sailed from Boston on the steamer GUIDE bound for Newbern, N. C. Companies "E" and "F" were mustered largely in October and were sent, Nov. 7, to the same destination.

The remaining six companies, "G", "H", "I", "K", "L", and "M", were mustered in December, and were sent to Fort Monroe to report to General Butler. The six companies sent to Newbern were assigned to do guard and garrison duty at various places in eastern North Carolina, while the last six were held during the fall and winter in the vicinity of Norfolk.

The monthly reports for March, 1864, show that Companies "A" and "D" were stationed at Fort Macon, N. C., Company "B" at Newport Barracks, Company "C" at Morehead City, Companies "G" and "H" at Plymouth, N.C., and Companies "I", "K", "L", and "M" at Norfolk, Va.

After a brave resistance Companies "G" and "H" at Plymouth, N. C., were made prisoners almost to a man on April 20 by a Confederate force under General Hoke, about 275 being carried into captivity, a very large majority of whom died in Confederate prisons.

In May, 1864, of the eight companies in North Carolina, all were at Newbern excepting Company "B", which was still at Newport Barracks, while the companies in Virginia were stationed near Portsmouth. The headquarters of the regiment were now at Newbern. In July all the companies with the exception of "B" and "K" were at Newbern. During the months of August and September a large number of recruits arrived, raising the total number of men in the regiment to nearly 2000. By various orders of the War Department, issued during the winter of 1864-65, all the men in excess of the legal maximum standard, about 435 in number, were transferred to the 17th Regt. Mass. Vol. Inf.

In the fall of 1864 an epidemic of yellow fever visited Newbern, and the 2d Hy. Arty. lost a large number of men who contracted the disease while doing guard duty in the stricken city.

At the beginning of the year 1865 six companies, "B", "C", "F", "G", "I", and "M", were in the vicinity of Newbern, N. C., four, "A", "D", "E", and "H", were at Plymouth, N. C., while Companies "K" and "L" were in Virginia. These two companies joined the main body at Newbern in April.

Meanwhile on the 8th of March, 1865, Companies "B", "C", "F", "I", and "M" had participated in the battle of South West Creek, near Kinston, losing five men killed, 20 wounded, and two missing. June, 1865, found the entire regiment at Camp Chattanooga, near Newbern. In July it was transferred to Wilmington, N. C., and during the month of August it garrisoned Fort Fisher and other defenses of the Cape Fear River. On Sept. 2 the regiment was ordered home, and on the following day, Sept. 3, it was mustered out of the service and embarked for Boston. Arriving at Galloup's Island, Boston Harbor, Sept. 15, on the 23d the regiment was disbanded and the members departed for their homes.

Source: Historical Data Systems, comp. Military Records of Individual Civil War Soldiers. [database online] Provo, UT:, 1999-. Copyright 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 - Historical Data Systems Inc.P.O. Box 196 Kingston, MA 02364

Service Record: Sgt. Elias Chute, Civil War (State of Michigan, United States, Union Army)

Note    Detailed Service Record 7         Back to History        Back to Sgt. Elias Chute

Elias Chute enlisted as a Private on 15 January 1862 at the age of 23 in Ionia, Michigan. Enlisted in Company Battery E, 1st Light Artillery Regiment Michigan on 24 Mar 1862. Promoted to Full Corporal on 1 Jul 1864. Promoted to Full Sergeant on 15 May 1865. Mustered Out Company Battery E, 1st Light Artillery Regiment Michigan on 30 Jul 1865 at Jackson, MI. Side served: Union; State served: Michigan

American Civil War Regiments
Regiment: 1st LA Batty E Light Artillery Battery Michigan
Date of Organization: 6 Dec 1861
Muster Date: 30 Jul 1865
Regiment State: Michigan
Regiment Type: Light Artillery
Regiment Number: 1st LA Batty E
Officers Killed or Mortally Wounded: 0
Officers Died of Disease or Accident: 0
Enlisted Killed or Mortally Wounded: 0
Enlisted Died of Disease or Accident: 33
Regimental Soldiers and History: List of Soldiers

Regimental History
First Light Artillery.
(Three Years)

It has been deemed expedient in compiling the history of this regiment to place each battery by itself. The companies of a regiment of infantry or cavalry usually serve together as an organization, but the character of a regiment of artillery is such that the different batteries are seldom, if ever, assembled as one organization. The batteries composing this regiment were assigned to separate armies in the field and took a conspicuous part in the western army and the army of the Potomac.

The Colonel of the regiment was Cyrus 0. Loomis, formerly Captain of Battery A, commissioned Colonel Oct. 8, 1862, and the field officers of the regimental organization were as follows: Lieutenant Colonel Luther F. Hale, Lieutenant Colonel William H. Ross, Major Josiah W. Church, Major John J. Ely, Major Albert F. R. Arndt, Major John C. Schuetz.

For some reason unexplained, the field returns of the batteries composing the regiment were not made as full and complete as the cavalry and infantry organizations. The records of the Adjutant General's department show but meager returns for batteries that took conspicuous parts in many of the hardest fought battles of the war. The history of these organizations cannot be written as their merits and distinguished services deserve, because such history was not reported at the time it was made.


Battery E was organized at Marshall and was mustered into service Dec. 6, 1861, with the following officers: Captain, John H. Dennis, of Grand Rapids. First Lieutenant, John G. Ely of Grand Rapids. Second Lieutenant, Jerome Burns of Marshall, and Second Lieutenant Peter De Vries of Adrian. The Battery left Marshall Dec. 17, 1861, for service in the western department and was engaged at Pittsburg Landing, Tenn., in April and in September at Fort Riley, Tenn. In November, 1862, it went into garrison at Nashville, Tenn., and was ordered to Murfreesboro in June, 1863. It returned to Nashville again in September, where fifty-seven of the men re-enlisted and went home on veteran furlough. In July, 1864, one section accompanied General Rosseau in his march into Alabama and Georgia. In December the Battery helped to defeat General Hood in his attack upon Nashville and pursued the Confederates upon their retreat. The Battery remained at Nashville until Feb., 1865, when it was ordered to Decatur, Ala., for garrison duty. It returned to Michigan July 16 and was paid and disbanded at Jackson, July 30, 1865.

It had encountered the enemy while in service at Pittsburg Landing, Tenn., April 7, 1862; Fort Riley, Tenn., September 20, 1862; Coosa, Ala., July 15, 1864; Cheraw, Ala., July 20, 1864; Nashville, Tenn., December l2 to 16, 1864.

Total enrollment............................................349
Died of wounds................................................1
Died of disease...............................................3
Discharged for disability (wounds and disease)...............48

Battles Fought
Fought on 15 Jul 1864 at Coosa, AL.
Source Information: Historical Data Systems, comp.. American Civil War Regiments [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Operations Inc, 1999. Original data: Data compiled by Historical Data Systems of Kingston, MA from the following list of works. Copyright 1997-2000 Historical Data Systems, Inc./PO Box 35/Duxbury, MA.

Chute, Elias (Veteran). Enlisted in Battery E., Jan. 15, 1862, at Ionia, for 3 years, age 23. Mustered March 24, 1862. Re-enlisted Jan. 18, 1864, at Nashville, Tenn. Mustered Feb. 4, 1864. Corporal July 1, 1864. Sergeant May 15, 1865. Mustered out at Jackson, Mich., July 30, 1865.

Source: Record of Service of Michigan Volunteers in the Civil War, 1861 - 1865. Record compiled by Department of Michigan Grand Army of the Republic, per Act 147, Public Acts of 1903, Adjutant General and Compiler Brig. Gen. George H. Brown. Ihling Bros & Everard, Kalamazoo, Michigan. 1903. Page 92.

Service Record: 1st Sargeant George Albert Chute, Civil War (State of Massachusetts, United States, Union Army)

Note    Detailed Service Record 8         Back to History        Back to 1st Sargeant George Albert Chute

George Albert Chute, born in Orland, Maine, enlisted in the Massachusetts 59th Volunteer Infantry, Company K, in Boston, Massachusetts on 13 Apr 1864 and mustered out in Readville, Massachusetts on 29 Jun 1865. He was wounded on 24 May 1864, placing him in the midst of the battle at Quarles' Mill, at the North Anna River in Virginia.

American Civil War Regiments Regiment: 59th Infantry Regiment Massachusetts
Date of Organization: 1 Apr 1864
Muster Date: 26 May 1865
Regiment State: Massachusetts
Regiment Type: Infantry
Regiment Number: 59th
Officers Killed or Mortally Wounded: 7
Officers Died of Disease or Accident: 1
Enlisted Killed or Mortally Wounded: 83
Enlisted Died of Disease or Accident: 93

Regimental History

The 59th Regt. Mass. Vol. Inf., the Fourth Veteran Regiment, was the last of the four units composed of men a majority of whom had had at least nine months' service. Like the others, it was recruited during the winter of 1863-64. Its first commander, Col. Jacob P. Gould, had formerly been major of the 13th Regt. Mass. Vol. Inf. The companies were mustered on various dates between Dec. 5, 1863, and April. 21, 1864. On the 26th of April, the regiment left the State, arriving at Washington City two days later. After two or three days spent in the vicinity of Alexandria, Va., on May 2, the regiment entrained for Bealeton Station on the Orange and Alexandria Railroad. Thence it marched to Rappahannock Station where it bivouacked until May 4. On this day it advanced to Brandy Station, and on the 5th marched to Germanna Ford on the Rapidan River. Here it was assigned to Carruth's (1st) Brigade, Stevenson's (1st) Division, Burnside's (9th) Corps.

On May 6, only ten days after the regiment left Massachusetts, it was engaged in the battle of the Wilderness, in the vicinity of the Plank road, losing 12 killed, 27 wounded, and five missing. Colonel Gould being seriously ill, Lieut. Colonel Hodges now took command of the regiment.

Joining in the flank movement to Spottsylvania, the 57th was heavily engaged on the Union left, May 12, losing 11 killed, 45 wounded, and three missing, among the killed being 1st Lieutenant George J. Morse. Moving now to the North Anna, the 59th crossed at Quarles' Mill, May 24, and advanced toward Ox Ford, becoming sharply engaged and losing two killed, 20 wounded, and 16 missing. Among the killed was 1st Lieut. George C. Burrill.

At Cold Harbor, near Bethesda Church, June 3, the 59th lost two killed, 15 wounded, and about the same number captured or missing. Crossing the James River, June 15, and advancing to the front on the 17th, on the afternoon of that day the regiment joined in the assault made by the 1st Division, losing 13 killed, 49 wounded, and eight missing. Among the mortally wounded was Capt. Samuel A. Bean.

Six weeks later, July 30, 1864, the 59th was engaged in the "Crater" fight, near Petersburg, losing eight killed, 25 wounded, and 47 prisoners. Here Lieut. Colonel Hodges and 1st Lieut. Dunlap were killed. After this disastrous experience the regiment remained in the trenches until the movement to the Weldon Railroad in August. Here, on the l9th, an action took place in which only a portion of the regiment was engaged, but a serious loss was incurred in the death of Adjutant Warren who was mortally wounded and died of his injuries the same day. A few days after this engagement Colonel Gould was mortally wounded while in command of a brigade.

The 59th remained in camp near the Weldon Railroad until the last of September when it joined in the movement to Poplar Grove Church. Here, on Sept. 30, the regiment lost one killed, eight wounded, and two missing. Not far from this field the 59th went into winter quarters, but was soon ordered to the right of the Petersburg lines near Forts Haskell and Stedman. In February, Lieut. Colonel Colburn, who had Commanded the regiment since August, resigned, and after that time Major Ezra P. Gould was senior officer of the command.

In the battle at Fort Stedman, March 25, 1865, the 59th was engaged near Battery XI on the left of the fort and narrowly escaped capture. From this time until the evacuation of Petersburg the regiment lay between Battery XI and Fort Stedman. On April 3, it entered the city of Petersburg, then did duty for over a fortnight guarding the Southside Railroad. About May 1, the 59th was ordered to Washington, and was stationed first at Alexandria and later at Tenallytown. Here, June 20, 1865, the remnant of the 59th was transferred to the 57th, the transfer to be effective as of June 1, and the officers and men were mustered out as a part of that regiment, July 30, 1865. At Readville, Mass., August 9, 1865, the men were paid off and discharged.

Source: Massachusetts Soldiers, Sailors & Marines in the Civil War
Battles Fought
Fought on 5 May 1864 at Wilderness, VA.
Fought on 6 May 1864 at Wilderness, VA.
Fought on 12 May 1864 at Spotsylvania Court House, VA.
Fought on 15 May 1864.
Fought on 18 May 1864 at Spotsylvania Court House, VA.
Fought on 19 May 1864 at Spotsylvania Court House, VA.
Fought on 21 May 1864 at Guinea Station, VA.
Fought on 24 May 1864 at North Anna River, VA.
Fought on 27 May 1864 at North Anna River, VA.
Fought on 28 May 1864 at By Enemy While Absent.
Fought on 31 May 1864 at Totopotomoy Creek, VA.
Fought on 1 Jun 1864 at Cold Harbor, VA.
Fought on 2 Jun 1864 at Cold Harbor, VA.
Fought on 3 Jun 1864 at Cold Harbor, VA.
Fought on 6 Jun 1864 at Cold Harbor, VA.
Fought on 13 Jun 1864 at Cold Harbor, VA.
Fought on 15 Jun 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 15 Jun 1864 at Near James River, VA.
Fought on 15 Jun 1864.
Fought on 16 Jun 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 17 Jun 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 20 Jun 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 21 Jun 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 22 Jun 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 29 Jun 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 30 Jun 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 3 Jul 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 4 Jul 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 7 Jul 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 8 Jul 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 15 Jul 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 18 Jul 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 29 Jul 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 30 Jul 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 1 Aug 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 10 Aug 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 15 Aug 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 19 Aug 1864 at Weldon Railroad, VA.
Fought on 23 Aug 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 30 Sep 1864 at Poplar Grove Church, VA.
Fought on 15 Oct 1864.
Fought on 1 Dec 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 15 Dec 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 22 Dec 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 11 Jan 1865 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 12 Jan 1865 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 3 Feb 1865 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 17 Feb 1865.
Fought on 25 Feb 1865 at Near Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 27 Feb 1865 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 23 Mar 1865 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 25 Mar 1865 at Fort Stedman, VA.

Service Record: Captain Richard Henry Chute, Sr., Civil War (State of Massachusetts, United States, Union Army)

Note    Detailed Service Record 9         Back to History        Back to Captain Richard Henry Chute, Sr.

Captain Richard Henry Chute, born in Woburn, Massachusetts on Mar. 14, 1843 enlisted into Company C, 35th Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry on Aug. 7, 1862, was promoted to 2nd Lieut. of Company F of the Massachusetts 59th Volunteer Infantry on Dec. 4, 1863; 1st Lieut., Feb. 14, 1864; and Captain June 23. He was taken prisoner at North Anna, Va., May 24, 1864; paroled Dec. 10, and discharged for disability Mar.1, 1865.

Coincidentally, he was made 2nd Lieutenant, 1st Lieutenant and Captain in the same company (Massachusetts 59th Volunteer Infantry) in which George Albert Chute (see next entry) was wounded, so it is quite possible that the two of them crossed paths during this encounter; He was taken prisoner on 24 May 1864, the same day that George Albert sustained his wound and in the same general location, at the North Anna River in Virginia.

Regiment: 35th Infantry Regiment Massachusetts
Date of Organization: 1 Aug 1862
Muster Date: 9 Jun 1865
Regiment State: Massachusetts
Regiment Type: Infantry
Regiment Number: 35th
Officers Killed or Mortally Wounded: 10
Officers Died of Disease or Accident: 1
Enlisted Killed or Mortally Wounded: 138
Enlisted Died of Disease or Accident: 100

Regimental History

The 35th Regt. Mass. Vol. Inf. was organized at Camp Stanton, Lynnfield, and was composed mostly of men enrolled in eastern Massachusetts. It was recruited during July and the early part of August, 1862, and its members were mustered into the service largely between August 9 and 19. Under Col. Edward A. Wild the regiment left for the seat of war August 22, reaching B. Washington on the 24th. On Sept. 8, it was assigned to Ferrero's (2d) Brigade, Sturgis' (2d) Division, Reno's (9th) Corps.

Joining the Army of the Potomac it took part in the battle of South Mountain, Sept. 14, 1862, where Col. Wild lost his left arm. At Antietam, Sept. 17, under command of Lieut. Col. Carruth, the regiment lost 214 officers and men, of whom 69 were killed or mortally wounded. At Fredericksburg, Dec. 13, 1862, it again suffered severely, losing Major Willard, who was in command. It camped during the early part of the winter near Falmouth.

On Feb. 9, 1863, it was transferred to Newport News, Va., and, after a few weeks stay at this place, was sent with the 9th Corps into Kentucky, being stationed at Mount Stirling, Lancaster, Stanford, and other places. Lieut. Col. Carruth now became colonel of the regiment. It was next ordered to Vicksburg, Miss., to reinforce Gen. Grant, remaining about four weeks, until the surrender of the city, July 4. It participated in the pursuit of Johnston's army to Jackson, Miss., and was present at the capture of the city, then returned to its old camp near Vicksburg. From here it proceeded by boat and train to Cincinnati, reaching there the 14th of August.

Proceeding to Knoxville, Tenn., which it reached Oct. 22, it participated in the defense of the city against Longstreet. After the close of the siege, Dec. 4, the 35th soon proceeded to Blain's Cross Roads, where it remained, enduring great privations, until January, 1864. After various movements to Knoxville, Morristown, and elsewhere - the regiment returned to Cincinnati. Here, April 1, it entrained for Baltimore, Md., from whence it took boat for Annapolis.

In the reorganization of the 9th Corps the regiment, now commanded by Major Nat Wales, became a part of Carruth's (1st) Brigade, Stevenson's (1st) Division. During the battle of the Wilderness, May 5 and 6, and the first part of that of Spottsylvania, May 8 to 12, the 35th was in charge of the supply train of the 1st Division, and was not engaged. Returning to its brigade, May 17, on the following day it was in the last assault on the Confederate lines at Spottsylvania, moving thence to the North Anna River, where it was again engaged, May 25.

It was now detailed as an engineer corps for the 1st Division. At Cold Harbor, June 3, it was posted near Bethesda Church and suffered light loss. Crossing the James on June 15, the regiment participated in the siege of Petersburg. At the Crater fight, July 30, it was heavily engaged, losing 12 killed and 34 wounded. At Weldon Railroad, Aug. 19, it was again engaged with loss. It was now reduced to two officers and about 100 men present for duty. In another reorganization of the 9th Corps early in September it was assigned to Curtin's (1st) Brigade, Potter's (2d) Division. About this time there were added to the regiment 385 German and French substitutes, recently arrived in this country and ignorant of the English tongue. Major Hudson now commanded the regiment. At Poplar Spring Church, Sept. 30, it was severely engaged, losing 163 prisoners. For two months it was now posted near Forts Fisher and Welsh. During the midwinter it was stationed in the rear of Fort Sedgwick (Fort Hell). From March 7, 1865, until the fall of Petersburg, April 2, it formed a part of the garrison of this fort. It then joined in the pursuit of Lee's army and was at Farmville when the news came of the surrender.

Arriving at Alexandria, Va., April 28, it remained as a part of the garrison of the District of Columbia until June 9, when it transferred its recruits to the 29th Regiment and was mustered out of the service. Returning to Readville, Mass., on June 27, the men were paid off and discharged.

Source: Massachusetts Soldiers, Sailors & Marines in the Civil War

Battles Fought
Fought on 1 Sep 1862.
Fought on 14 Sep 1862 at South Mountain, MD.
Fought on 17 Sep 1862 at Antietam, MD.
Fought on 14 Nov 1862 at Near Fauquier White Sulphur Springs, VA.
Fought on 13 Dec 1862 at Fredericksburg, VA.
Fought on 11 Jul 1863 at Jackson, MS.
Fought on 12 Jul 1863 at Jackson, MS.
Fought on 15 Jul 1863 at Jackson, MS.
Fought on 16 Jul 1863 at Jackson, MS.
Fought on 15 Oct 1863 at Campbell's Station, VA.
Fought on 16 Nov 1863 at Knoxville, TN.
Fought on 16 Nov 1863 at Campbell's Station, TN.
Fought on 19 Nov 1863 at Knoxville, TN.
Fought on 24 Nov 1863 at Knoxville, TN.
Fought on 28 Nov 1863 at Knoxville, TN.
Fought on 29 Nov 1863 at Knoxville, TN.
Fought on 1 Dec 1863 at Knoxville, TN.
Fought on 22 Jan 1864 at Knoxville, TN.
Fought on 4 May 1864 at Near Rapidan River, VA.
Fought on 5 May 1864 at Wilderness, VA.
Fought on 6 May 1864 at Wilderness, VA.
Fought on 15 May 1864.
Fought on 18 May 1864 at Spotsylvania Court House, VA.
Fought on 24 May 1864 at North Anna River, VA.
Fought on 31 May 1864 at Cold Harbor, VA.
Fought on 2 Jun 1864 at Cold Harbor, VA.
Fought on 3 Jun 1864 at Cold Harbor, VA.
Fought on 6 Jun 1864 at Cold Harbor, VA.
Fought on 30 Jun 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 1 Jul 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 4 Jul 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 20 Jul 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 30 Jul 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 12 Aug 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 19 Aug 1864 at Weldon Railroad, VA.
Fought on 21 Aug 1864 at Weldon Railroad, VA.
Fought on 30 Sep 1864 at Poplar Springs Church, VA.
Fought on 2 Oct 1864 at Peebles' Farm, VA.
Fought on 11 Dec 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 15 Dec 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 27 Dec 1864 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 4 Jan 1865 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 19 Feb 1865 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 2 Apr 1865 at Petersburg, VA.
Fought on 2 Apr 1865 at Fort Sedgwick.

Source: Historical Data Systems, comp.. American Civil War Regiments [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Operations Inc, 1999.

Service Record: 1st Sgt Melvin Douglas Chute, United States Army, 82nd Airborne, Paratrooper

Note    Detailed Service Record 10         Back to History        Back to 1st Sgt Melvin Douglas Chute.

"In 1957, the 82nd Airborne underwent reorganization for the Pentomic structure. The Division consisted of 5 Airborne Battle Groups that were capable of independent operations on a nuclear battlefield. Fortunately, that concept did not have to be tested in a real war. In 1964, the 82nd Airborne was again reorganized under the ROAD concept, which called for 3 brigades of infantry, each with 3 battalions, and a brigade of artillery with 3 battalions, plus the usual division support elements. Life in the 82nd during the 1950s and 1960s consisted of intensive training exercises in all environments and locations to include Alaska, Panama, the Far East and the continental United States. When President Kennedy came to Fort Bragg, North Carolina to inspect the Division for a check on its state of readiness and to get a briefing on the air-mobility tests, the Commander divided the Division into 5 groups, each group in a different uniform to show how versatile the division was to take on assignments in any part of the globe. One group was in standard fatigues, ready to fight in Europe. A second group was in jungle camouflage fatigues, ready to deploy to Vietnam. A third group was in desert camouflage fatigues, ready to go to a desert operation. A fourth group was in winter uniforms, similar to those used during the Korean War. The fifth group was dressed in white ski suits and carried skis, showing that we were ready to fight in the Arctic. It was a hot day and those dressed in jungle or desert suits were quite comfortable. However, the groups dressed in winter clothing were very uncomfortable."

Location: 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, NC 28310
Source on Fort Bragg:
Service Record: George Albert ("Bert") Chute, R.C.A.F.

Note    Detailed Service Record 11         Back to History        Back to George Albert ("Bert") Chute.

In the Second World War, George Albert (Bert), enlisted in the R.C.A.F. Basic training in Toronto, Ontario. Posted May 11, 1943. E.F.T.S. (Elementary Flying training school) at Pendleton, Ontario, flying "Tiger Moths". July 10th, 1943 he was posted to Brantford, Service Flying Training School (S.F.T.S) #5 where he graduated and received his wings. October 7th, 1943, he flew "Mark II Ansons".

November 28th, 1943, posted to Penfield Ridge, New Brunswick where he flew "Lockhead Venuras"1 practicing low-level bombing. His air gunner was Vincent Wright, Brantford. Gordon Thomas, Toronto was wireless operator. Howard Larkin was navigator.

March 22, 1944, he was sent to R.A.F. Ferry Command flying B25 Venturas and Mosquitos. April 27, 1944, he was posted to Nassau B.W.I. to fly for R.A.T.T.C. (Transport Command). He flew Dakotas, B26's, C47's flying to Africa, Egypt, India, India via Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Trinidad, Guyama, Brazil, Asension Islands, Azores, Belgium Congo, Nigeria, Jordan and many other countries.

Bert was being posted to the United Kingdom, March 22, 1945, so he went A.W.O.L. and got married March 20, 1945 to Doris Fowler of Hamilton, Ontario, He was sent overseas two days later. While in leave in England he met his cousin Ada Fisher who was in the Land Army. He met his uncle Hugh Fisher, Aunt Becky and cousins. He also met his wife's grandparents, Mr. & Mrs. Harry Walker and her Aunts and Uncles.

With his posting in England he delivered C47's via Labrador, Greenland, Iceland and Scotland.

June 2, 1945 he was posted to R.C.A.F. #437 Squadron flying Daktas on passenger flights, freight flights and V.I.P. servoce. Flying passenger runs landing at most of the countries controlled by Eastern Allies. His last run for the Air Force in Europe was January 2, 1946. Bert had eleven hundred and ninety three flying hours to his credit. He was released from active service and transferred to the R.C.A.F. Special Reserve March 1946. Bert has never been officially discharged.

January 27, 1951 commenced flying for R.C.A.F. reserve chipmunk exercise. He was issued his commrvial license, instructing license and radio and instrument endorsements. He continued training civilian students until August 2, 1953. He was screened and picked to fly Jets but he sold his home and moved to Rochester, New York, September 7, 1953. He lived in the United States for 2 1/2 years, then returnd to Brantford. While in Brazil, Bery brought back a marmoset monkey called Roger by the screw, to Pearl, who kept it for 2 1/2 years.

1This was transcribed exactly as originally typed. However, Ruth may have meant "Lockheed Venturas" here.


Source: "The Expositor", Brantford, Ontario, Canada, 14 Aug 1944
PO Bert Chute, photo attached to article, left

Pilot Officer Bert Chute, son of Mr. & Mrs. E.A. Chute, 108 Clarence Street, was one of a rescue party of three who went to the aid of the crew of an aircraft that was "ditched" somewhere in the South Atlantic, according to a "With the R.C.A.F. in the Middle East" dispatch, which reads as follows:

Not so long ago, three young Canadians found themselves confronted with a spot of bother. Trouble had developed in their aircraft and they were headed straight for the restless waters somewhere in the South Atlantic.

They sent out an SOS and managed to clamber aboard their dinghy when the aircraft ditched.

The SOS got through and, quite promptly, three more Canadians arrived on the scene in another aircraft and soon the situation was well in hand.

The lads ditched were: Flt.-Sgt. Stu McKay, Turner Valley, Alberta; FO Bert Johnson, Marlborough, Ont., and PO Colin Judges, Toronto.

The rescue party was made up of PO Bert Chute, Brantford; FO Howard Larkin, Toronto; and WO Gordon Thoms, Toronto.

The incident occurred when a ferry command aircraft piloted by Flt-Sgt McKay developed trouble on the South America to Africa run. The other aircraft, which had set out a short time before, heard the SOS and turned back to spoty the dinghy and guide a rescue party to it.

The crew who ditched spent about 30 hours in the dinghy but suffered no worse effects than acute sea-sickness.

Service Record: Elmus Arthur Chute, Canadian Armed Forces

Note    Detailed Service Record 12         Back to History        Back to Elmus Arthur Chute.

Joined the 181st Batallion on the 7th Day of December 1916 at the age of 18. He served in Canada, England and France, with the 44th Batallion. He was wounded twice. He was discharged the 19th day of March 1919. His conduct and character while in the service were good. He had British War and Victory medals. At the time of discharge he was:

Age - 20 years
Height: 5'6"
Complexion: Fair
Hair: Fair
Eyes: Blue

While in the service he met an English girl - Emily Fisher - who he later married, and as he was not yet 21 years of age, he had to get permission from his father in Canada. Granted permission, they were married January 18, 1919. There is a cenotaph in Port Burwell, Ontario with area men who fought in the war and Elmus' name is there.

Service Record: Clinton Melville Chute, Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF)

Note    Detailed Service Record 13         Back to History        Back to Clinton Melville Chute.
Clinton Melville Chute
Flight Sergeant, RCAF, Service Number: R/85421. Dauphin and Brantford, Manitoba Province, Canada. Son of Stanley and Muriel Chute. A pilot for the Royal Canadian Air Force. Died in combat on 30 MAY 1942 and is buried in the Ware New Cemetery, Hertfordshire, Great Britain, Section 265; Grave 4.

"Clinton Melville, born February 12, 1921 in Dauphin, died May 30, 1942. Clinton joined the R.C.A.F. and became Flight Sergeant. One night after a bombing mission, they were returning to the base when the plane crashed, in England. He is buried there."

Source: Chute, Max; Brazier, Pearl Chute; Gambacort, Ruth Emily Chute, Herbert, James and Elmus Chute Families, 1984-1986, unpublished. Facsimile edition transcribed by Jacqueline Chute, 2011

F/S Clinton Melville Chute, second son of Mr. & Mrs. Stanley Chute, 804 Colborne Street, lost his life on active service on May 30, 1942 when the plane on which he was pilot crashed when the starboard motor failed. He was buried in Hertfordshire, England. F/S Chute was born in Dauphin, Man., on February 12, 1921, and was educated at Regina, Sask. He was outstanding as an all-round athlete, particularly at field meets and as a pitcher on the hardball diamond. He enlisted in the R.C.A.F. on his 20th birthday and trained at Brandon and Regina and graduated as a pilot and received his wings at Calgary in September, 1941. He proceeded overseas during the next month and served in England until his death.

Source: See Source Reference.

May 30, 1942 was marked by a massive bombing raid undertaken by the Allied forces against Germany. According to Wilfried Braakhuis, Associate Professor of History, University of Twente, "1047 bombers of the Royal Air Force above Cologne, took off from 52 airfields, dropped 1455 1-ton bombs; 460 killed and 45,000 homeless. British losses: 40 bombers, 45 heavily damaged of which 12 were lost in landing. Canterbury, England attacked by the Luftwaffe."

It is quite possible that this is where Clinton Melville Chute died.

Source References:
Website: The World at War, History of WW 1939-1945
Author: Wilfried Braakhuis, Associate Professor of History University of Twente, The Netherlands

Photo courtesy of the Second World War Book of Remembrance, Veteran's Affairs, Canada.

Service Record: Herbert Chipman Cornwell, Private, Canadian Infantry (Nova Scotia Regiment), Division: 25th Battalion.

Note    Detailed Service Record 14         Back to History        Back to Herbert Chipman Cornwell.

Son of James Cornwell, of Rossway, Nova Scotia and Jessie Elizabeth Chute Cornwell, of Digby; husband of Vera M. Cornwell, of Goodwater, Saskatchewan.
In memory of Private Herbert Chipman Cornwell
May 15, 1917
Military Service:
Service Number:    733205
Age:  28
Force:  Army Unit:  Canadian Infantry (Nova Scotia Regiment)
Division:  25th Bn.
Cemetery:  BEEHIVE CEMETERY (WILLERVAL); Pas de Calais, France
Grave Reference:  B. 7.

Commemorated on Page 220 of the First World War Book of Remembrance.

Circumstances: Was one of a party of four detailed to carry a wounded officer to the Vimy Dressing Station, when a shell exploded close to the party a piece of it hitting Private Cornwell in the forehead and instantly killing him.

Source: Canada War Graves Registers (Circumstances of Casualty)
Beehive Cemetery, Willerval
Location of unit at time of casualty: South of Acheville
25th Batallion
HQ File no.  649-C-12124
Religion:  Baptist

General Military History for the Timeline:

Service Record: Lawrence Wallace Chute, Technician Fourth Grade, United States Army.

Note    Detailed Service Record 15         Back to History        Back to Lawrence Wallace Chute.

Chute, Lawrence Wallace, son of Edward Manning Chute and Emma J. MacInnis Chute of Berwick, Nova Scotia Province, Canada. He may have enlisted in New York, as other records reflect him living in or about New York City at the time of his enlistment. He enlisted in the United States Army on 12 NOV 1942 and was ranked as a Technician Fourth Grade. A Technician Fourth Grade (abbreviated as T/4 or TEC4) was one of three United States Army technician ranks established on January 8, 1942 during World War II. Those who held this rank were often addressed as Sergeant. Technicians possessed specialized skills that were rewarded with a higher pay grade. These skills could be directly related to combat, such as those skills possessed by a tank driver or combat engineer, or skills possessed by those in support functions such as a cooks or mechanics. Depending on his or her function, he or she might be called upon by an officer to command a group of men for a specific task. They were non-commissioned officers, as were sergeants. Initially, they shared the same insignia but on September 4, 1942, the three technician ranks were distinguished by a block "T" imprinted below the standard chevrons. Unofficial insignia using a technical specialty symbol instead of the T were used in some units. As Lawrence was a Canadian citizen, he was required to be naturalized as a U.S. Citizen and did so on 23 JAN 1943 in Greenville, Greenville County, South Carolina, USA. It is supposed that he was in Greenville on the Greenville Army Air Base, which was in operation at that time. See History Record.

Service Record: 2nd Lieutenant Augustus S. Chute, 56th Ohio Infantry, Company D, Union Army, Civil War.

Note    Detailed Service Record 16         Back to History        Back to 2nd Lieutenant Augustus S. Chute.

2nd Lieutenant Augustus S. Chute, brother of Job Phillips ("Phillip") Chute (above) and son of Andrew Hossom Chute, Sr. and Almira B. Phillips Chute enlisted as a private on 08 October 1861 at the age of 21, and enlisted in Company D, 56th Infantry Regiment Ohio on 08 October 1861. He was promoted to Sergeant 1st Class and then Full Lieutenant 2nd Class on 03 October 1862, and killed while still in Company D, 56th Infantry Regiment Ohio on 16 May 1863 in Champion Hill, Mississippi. He is buried in the Vicksburg National Cemetery, Vicksburg, Mississippi.

A. S. Chute (First_Last) Regiment Name 56 Ohio Infantry Side Union Company D Soldier's Rank_In Pvt. Soldier's Rank_Out 2 Lt. Alternate Name Augustus S./Chute Notes Film Number M552 roll 18.

The Battle of Champion Hill, Saturday, 16 May 1863

This brutal and very costly battle has been called "the most decisive battle in The Vicksburg Campaign" by many sources, and is considered one of the battles that helped to decide the outcome of the Civil War. The set-up to this battle has been best described by Kathy Weiser, writing for the Legends of America website in February, 2013:

"Also called the Battle of Baker's Creek, this large conflict led by Union Major General Ulysses S. Grant and Confederate Lieutenant General John C. Pemberton took place between Edwards and Bolton in Hinds County, Mississippi on May 16, 1863. Following the Union occupation of Jackson, Mississippi, both Confederate and Union forces made plans for future operations. Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston retreated with most of his army, up the Canton Road; but, he ordered Lieutenant General John C. Pemberton, commanding about 23,000 men, to leave Edwards Station, located about 27 miles west of Jackson, and attack the Union troops, who were then situated at Clinton, about 10 miles northwest of Jackson.

Pemberton and his generals felt that Johnston�s plan was dangerous and decided instead to attack the Union supply trains moving from Grand Gulf to Raymond. On May 16th; however, Pemberton received another order from Johnston repeating his former directions. Pemberton had already started after the supply trains and was on the Raymond-Edwards Road with his rear at the Crossroads, one-third mile south of the crest of Champion Hill. Thus, when he ordered a countermarch, his rear, including his many supply wagons, became the advance of his force."1

2nd Lieutenant Augustus S. Chute was attached to the 56th Ohio Infantry, under the command of Lt. Col. W. H. Raynor. The 56th Ohio was part of the 2d Brigade, under the command of Col. James R. Slack. The 2nd Brigade also included the 47th Indiana Infantry (Lt. Col. J. A. McLaughlin), the 24th Iowa Infantry (Col. E. C. Byam) and the 28th Iowa Infantry (Col. J. Connell). Both Slack and Raynor have recorded their recollections of the Battle, Slack in his official account and Raynor in his diary. Some excerpts:

Col. James R. Slack

From Col. James R. Slack
"During this terrific charge, Maj. Edward Wright, of the Twenty-fourth, was wounded in the abdomen, immediately after which he captured a stalwart rebel prisoner and made him carry him off the field. The Forty-seventh Indiana, Fifty-sixth Ohio, and Twenty-eighth Iowa were all engaged at the same time against most powerful odds, which seemed to me to be five times their number, and held them in check for at least two hours, re-enforcements not reaching us. Our ranks being badly depleted, I directed the whole command to retire gradually from the field and take position near the crest of the hill where the rebel lines were first formed, which was done in good order, at which time a re-enforcement of one brigade came to our support, and after a few well-directed volleys, with the aid of the batteries, which General Hovey had massed on the extreme right, the enemy was routed, and fled in great confusion and disorder from the field."2

From Lt. Col. W. H. Raynor
"May, Sunday, 17. History and reports will in the main give correct accounts of this severe battle and its glorious results. Our own regiment numbered 364 in the morning and but 226 in the evening, having suffered a loss of 24 killed, 89 wounded and 25 missing -- total 138. Capt. Jno. Cook, Lieut. [George] Manning and [Augustus S.] Chute were killed, Capt. [George] Wilhelm severely and several other officers slightly wounded. The regiment was in the extreme advance and suffered more severely than any in the division or in the whole army. Our division having done almost all the fighting yesterday, was left to take care of the wounded and bury the dead. To the 1st brigade was this duty entrusted while the 2nd took up the line of march and arrived at Edwards Depot where we encamped on a high hill and in a very pleasant location. I found a tent along the road, had it brought along and put up. The main body of our army at daylight this morning, pressed forward, fought at Big Black Bridge where the enemy offered but feeble resistance. Thousands of them were captured with several pieces of artillery. The Rail Road Bridge was burned by the enemy, together with 3 or 4 steamboats�..the Paul Jones, Dot, and Charm, the remains of which lay below us. These boats were run up from Grand Gulf and fearing they might be made useful to us, the enemy Confederates burned them."3

An excellent battle map can be found Although too large to be reproduced on this site, you will find Slack's 2d Brigade, including Raynor's Ohio 56th, located in the tan area of the map, directly to the left of the compass rose, which is located on the right side of the map, putting Augustus Chute and Company D on the front lines of this battle, or as Raynor described it, "in the extreme advance".

He is also listed in the website, under 56th Ohio.

Other online resources where you can read about this battle. All are well worth reading: This is a copy of Dyer's Compendium4, listing all of the battles and activities of the Ohio 56th.

1Kathy Weiser/Legends of America, February, 2013.
2Battle Report: Col. James R. Slack, Forty-seventh Indiana Infantry, commanding Second Brigade. HDQRS. SECOND BRIG., TWELFTH DIV., THIRTEENTH A. C., Camp at Edwards Depot, Hinds County, Miss., May 18, 1863.
3The Diary of Colonel William H. Raynor, 56th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Excerpts from May 15- 16, 1863. Courtesy of the Vicksburg National Military Park.
1Dyer, Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion (Des Moines, IA: Dyer Pub. Co.), 1908.

Service Record: Andrew M. Chute, Company B, 23rd Regiment, Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, Union Army, Civil War.

Note    Detailed Service Record 17         Back to History        Back to Andrew M. Chute.

Andrew M. Chute, identifying himself as a shoemaker, enlisted in the 23rd Regiment, Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry on 18 FEB 1864. Regimental records show that the 23rd Massachusetts had been organized in September of 1861, and were already in the field in Portsmouth, Virginia and at Getty's Station, on the Norfolk & Suffolk Railroad, at the time that Andrew enlisted. He would have traveled to join them there and joined them in these duties, through May 14-16, 1864. He was taken prisoner on 16 May 1864 during the battle at Drury's or Drewry's Bluff, and sent to Andersonville Prison, where he died on 3 September, 1864. He was posthumously given a "Distinguished Service" award.

Following the conclusion of their duties in Portsmouth, the activities of the 23rd Massachusetts in which Andrew M. Chute participated were:

Demonstration on Portsmouth March 1-5.
Expedition to Isle of Wight County April 13-15.
Action at Smithfield, Cherry Grove, April 14.
Moved to Yorktown April 26.
[Union Major General Benjamin F.] Butler's operations on south side of James River and against Petersburg and Richmond May 4-28.
Port Walthal Junction, Chester Station, May 6-7.
Swift's Creek, Swift Creek, May 9-10.
Operations against Fort Darling May 12-16.
Drury's Bluff May 14-16. Drury's Bluff, or Drewry's Bluff. Andrew was taken prisoner and taken to Andersonville Prison, where he died.

Why Drury's Bluff Is Important
[Photo, right: Drewry's Bluff in 1865, photo by Levy & Cohen from collection of U.S. Library of Congress. At the top of the photo, just below the tree line, is the fortified embankment of Fort Darling. The lighter area to the right, visible behind tree branches, is the bend of the James River.]

"Drewry's Bluff is located in northeastern Chesterfield County, Virginia in the United States. It was the site of Confederate Fort Darling during the American Civil War. It was named for a local landowner, Confederate Captain Augustus H. Drewry. At Richmond, Virginia, location of the fall line at the head of navigation, the generally east-west course of the James River turns almost due south for a distance of about 7 miles (10 km) before turning eastward again towards the Chesapeake Bay. At this sharp bend, Drewry's Bluff on the west side of the James River rose 90 feet (30 m) above the water, commanding a view of several miles distance downstream and making it a logical site for defensive fortifications."

What Happened on May 16, 1864

"On May 5, 1864, Union Major General Benjamin F. Butler and his Army of the James landed at Bermuda Hundred, a neck of land north of City Point at the confluence of the James and Appomattox Rivers, only 15 miles (25 km) south of Richmond. Marching overland, they advanced within three miles (5 km) of Drewry's Bluff by May 9. While several Union regiments did manage to capture Fort Darling's outer defenses, delays by Union generals spoiled the success. Confederate infantry under General P.G.T. Beauregard seized the initiative and successfully counterattacked on May 16. Once again a Union drive on Richmond had been defeated at Drewry's Bluff."

"Gen. [Charles] Heckman's command was now known as the Star Brigade - 1st Brigade, 2d Division, 18th Corps - and was ordered up the James to Bermuda Hundred. It was in action at Port Walthall Junction, May 6 and 7, and at Arrowfield Church, May 9. At Drewry's Bluff (also spelled Drurys Bluff), May 16, the Star Brigade was outflanked in the fog which enveloped the field, Gen. Heckman was taken prisoner, and the 23d lost 23 killed and mortally wounded, 20 wounded, and 51 prisoners."

[Note: General P.G.T. Beauregard (photo, left) is Pierre Gustave Toutant-Beauregard, born near New Orleans, Louisiana on May 28, 1818. In 1864 he was commanding defenses at Petersburg, Virginia and providing support to General Robert E. Lee near Richmond. Times change. In 2004, he was apparently prognosticating the early arrival of spring in the south ... in the form of the groundhog named after him, "General Beauregard Lee". Because he was also well known for his popularity with the ladies of he south, he was the inspiration for the name of the character Beau/Bo Duke in the "Dukes of Hazzard" television program.]

"The Drewry's Bluff unit of the National Park Service's Richmond National Battlefield Park includes 42 acres (170,000 m�) of this historic land off Interstate 95 south of Richmond. Visitors can stand in the former defense works overlooking what is still a commanding view of the James River. Two Virginia Historical Highway Markers, # VA-012 and # VA-013 are located on Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway (US Highway 1 and US Highway 301) nearby commemorate Drewry's Bluff."

Conditions at Andersonville Prison

Andrew's death at Andersonville was not surprising, considering the conditions that existed in the prison at the time. Built to house 10,000 prisoners, it held 33,000 of them by August of 1864. It was under these conditions that Andrew died.

"The Confederate government could not provide adequate housing, food, clothing or medical care to their Federal captives because of deteriorating economic conditions in the South, a poor transportation system, and the desperate need of the Confederate army for food and supplies.

These conditions, along with a breakdown of the prisoner exchange system between the North and the South, created much suffering and a high mortality rate. �There is so much filth about the camp that it is terrible trying to live here,� one prisoner, Michigan cavalryman John Ransom, confided to his diary. �With sunken eyes, blackened countenances from pitch pine smoke, rags, and disease, the men look sickening. The air reeks with nastiness.� Still another recalled, �Since the day I was born, I never saw such misery.�

After the war, as word of the horrific conditions in the prison camp became well known, Captain Henry Wirz, the prison�s commandant, was tried in Washington, D.C. for war crimes against the Federal prisoners in his captivity. He was convicted and hung.

Source: Adapted from National Park Service brochure "Andersonville".

Other sources of information about Andersonville Prison:

Service Record: Wayne Loyd Chute, United States Navy, World War II.

Note    Detailed Service Record 18         Back to History        Back to Wayne Loyd Chute.

Wayne Loyd Chute, son of Vaughn Augustus Chute and Edna Blanche Einfeldt (of Iowa) enlisted in the U.S. Navy in San Francisco on 24 NOV 1942. He was assigned to the USS Munsee, redesignated as ATF-107 on 15 May 1944. From there he served on the USS Reno, Spica and Walsh, but spent the bulk of his time on ARD-1 or ARD-ONE.

If you're in a sea battle in the middle of the huge South Pacific, you've just been torpedoed by the Japanese, you're taking on water and in danger of taking on too much water, there is nothing that a U.S. sailor was happier to see than an ARD coming to his rescue.

The ARD-1, passing through the Panama Canal. Photo courtesy of the US Navy Memorial, Stan Svec, photographer. URL:

An ARD, or Auxiliary Repair Dock, was really an impressive ship. It was designed to flood its lower hold to sea level, allow a ship to be guided into the hold, and then pump the water in the lower hold back into the sea, leaving the damaged ship secured in the hold, to be repaired. When you think of all the skills needed to build the ship in the first place - everyone from welders to electricians, to plumbers to artillery experts and blueprint interpreters - the ARD employed a battery of sailors with the same skills who were capable of making the damaged ship seaworthy again.

At the same time, the ARD needed to be able to defend itself against attack as well, so it needed a crew capable of defensive warfare. There are numerous examples of an ARD coming to the rescue of a disabled American ship, taking it out of the water, and fleeing for safer waters ... all the while successfully fending off a Japanese assault. Lastly - and here's where Wayne Loyd enters the picture - an ARD would not only be taking on an additional extra ship needing to repaired at sea, it would be taking on the crew of that ship as well. If the damaged ship was uninhabitable, they also needed to provide enough berths for full two full crews, although they tried to keep the rescued crews on the disabled vessel while being repaired. Depending on what had caused the damage in the first place, they had to be ready to take on a crew that may have had injuries that needed to be dealt with, and if none of the disabled ship's kitchen components were working, they needed to have enough supplies to feed not just their own crew, but the crew from the damaged ship as well.

Wayne Loyd was a skilled and experienced Bkrc3 - a rather bland term ("Baker") for what he did. He would have been the one who could operate the ARD's huge ovens, and be able to pull together meals for two full crews at a moment's notice. He was skilled enough at what he did that he was used to train others - note that in one assignment he was a (T), or a teacher.

"Complete statistics have not been compiled of the total number of vessels of all kinds from the mightiest battleship and carriers to the humblest patrol craft that were salvaged, repaired, and overhauled in this armada of floating drydocks. The most dramatic demonstration of the importance of the mobile drydocks was given during the long drawn-out naval support of the invasion of Okinawa, when the fleet was subjected for weeks to continual and desperate "Kamikaze" attacks by Japanese suicide-bombers. The fleet suffered great damage, but the ready availability of the mobile drydocks at nearby advance bases, and the yeoman service rendered by their own crews and the ship repair components at these bases, saved many ships and minimized the time ships were out of action for repairs, to such an extent that these docks may well have represented the margin between success and failure."

Source: Building the Navy's Bases in World War II: History of the Bureau of Yards and Docks and the Civil Engineer Corps, 1940-1946
Volume I, Part II, Chapter 9, page 209
Department of the Navy, Bureau of Yards and Docks
United States Government Printing Office
Washington, D.C.

Full Service Record

Muster Date Ship, Station or Activity Ship Number or Designation Rank
16 Nov 1943 Munsee AT-107 S2c: Seaman 2nd Class (World War II), Seaman Apprentice
31 Dec 1943 Munsee AT-107 S2c: Seaman 2nd Class (World War II), Seaman Apprentice
19 Apr 1944 Reno CL-96 S2c: S2c: Seaman 2nd Class (World War II), Seaman Apprentice. V-6: a person who volunteered for service in World War II. You volunteered and they had to discharge you by six months after the war was over.
31 May 1944 Munsee ATF-107 S2c: Seaman 2nd Class (World War II), Seaman Apprentice.
30 Jun 1944 Munsee ATF-107 S2c: Seaman 2nd Class (World War II), Seaman Apprentice.
30 Jun 1944 ARD 1 ARD-ONE S2c (Bkr) - Seaman 2nd Class (World War II), Baker.
30 Sep 1944 ARD 1 ARD-ONE S2c (Bkr) - Seaman 2nd Class (World War II), Baker.
30 Sep 1944 ARD 1 ARD-ONE Bkr3c - Baker, Third Class.
21 Dec 1944 Spica AK-16 Bkr3c - Baker, Third Class.
31 Dec 1944 ARD 1 ARD-ONE Bkr3c(T) - Baker, Third Class: Specialist (T) (Teacher).
6 Jan 1945 Spica AK-16 Bkr3c - Baker, Third Class
11 Jul 1945 Walsh APD-111 Bkr3c - Baker, Third Class V-6 - V-6: a person who volunteered for service in World War II. You volunteered and they had to discharge you by six months.
11 28 Jul 1945 Walsh APD-111 Bkr3c - Baker, Third Class.

Source: National Archives at College Park; College Park, Maryland, United States; Muster Rolls of U.S. Navy Ships, Stations, and Other Naval Activities, 01/01/1939 - 01/01/1949; Record Group: 24, Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel, 1798 - 2007; Series ARC ID: 594996; Series MLR Number: A1 135. Source Information: U.S. World War II Navy Muster Rolls, 1938-1949 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Operations Inc, 2011. Original data: Muster Rolls of U.S. Navy Ships, Stations, and Other Naval Activities, 01/01/1939-01/01/1949; A-1 Entry 135, 10230 rolls, ARC ID: 594996. Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel, Record Group Number 24. National Archives at College Park, College Park, MD.

Service Record: Major John Lincoln Chute, United States Army, World War II.

Note    Detailed Service Record 19         Back to History        Back to Major John Lincoln Chute.

Major John Lincoln Chute, son of Abraham Lincoln Chute and Anna ("Annie") Henson (of Oregon) enlisted in the U.S. Army Infantry (162 Infantry, 41 Infantry Division) in Oregon. The details of his service were as follows:

"Major John L. Chute, formerly in command of the Bend national guard company, and well known in Prineville, died January 29, in the southwest Pacific war area, according to official word received by his family in Bend. News of the death of Major Chute was published in the Bend Bulletin Tuesday.

Major Chute was known to many Prineville residents as Captain Chute, commanding officer of Company I, Oregon national guard, a unit which enrolled several men from Crook county. The national guard unit was transferred to federal service in September, 1940. The unit went overseas a year ago, and Captain Chute was advanced to the rank of major several months ago."

Source: Oregon news source, date unknown

He was transfered from the Ipswich USAF Cemetery, Brisbane, Australia to the Golden Gate National Cemetery, San Bruno, San Mateo County, California, USA in 1949.

Service Record: Haller Tracy Chute, United States Army, 1st Calvary, Indiana, Company B, Civil War.

Note    Detailed Service Record 20         Back to History        Back to Haller Tracy Chute.
Haller Tracy Chute. Photo courtesy of Susan Pratt Habermann, 29 JUL 2013

Enlisted in Company B, 1st Calvary, Indiana, in Helena, Phillips County, Arkansas, USA, although it is unknown why Arkansas was his state of enlistment, if he were enrolled in an Indiana calvary. [May be an inaccurate portion of the record]. The 1st Calvary Indiana was very active; at some point he was promoted from "Private" to "Hospital Steward"; and mustered out from military service in Evansville, Indiana on 31 MAY 1865.

1st Regiment Cavalry (28th Regiment Volunteers): Organized at Evansville, Ind., and mustered in August 20, 1861. Left State for St. Louis, Mo., August 21; thence moved to Ironton, Mo. Duty at and near Ironton until February, 1862. Skirmish at Black River, Ironton, September 12, 1861. Operations about Ironton and Fredericktown October 12-21. Skirmish at Fredericktown October 18. Action at Fredericktown October 21. Attached to Dept. of Missouri to February, 1862. District of Southeast Missouri to May, 1862. 1st Division, Army of Southwest Missouri, to July, 1862. District of Eastern Arkansas, Dept. of Missouri, to December, 1862. 1st Brigade, 3rd (Cavalry) Division, District of Eastern Arkansas, Dept. of the Tennessee, to April, 1863. 1st Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division, 13th Army Corps, Dept. of the Tennessee, to April, 1863. 1st Brigade, Cavalry Division, District of Eastern Arkansas, to June, 1863. Clayton's Independent Cavalry Brigade, District of Eastern Arkansas, to July, 1863. Clayton's Cavalry Brigade, 13th Division, 16th Army Corps, to August, 1863. Clayton's Cavalry Brigade, Arkansas Expedition, to January, 1864. Clayton's Cavalry Brigade, 7th Army Corps, Dept. of Arkansas, to September, 1864. 1st Brigade, Cavalry Division, 7th Army Corps, to February, 1865. Mouth of White River, Ark., and St. Charles, Ark. 7th Army Corps to June, 1865. Company "C" detached and with 12th Division, 13th Army Corps, Army of the Tennessee, to August, 1863. Cavalry Brigade, 13th Army Corps, Dept. of the Gulf, to September, 1863. 2nd Brigade, Cavalry Division, Dept. of the Gulf, to November, 1863. 3rd Brigade, Cavalry Division, Dept. of the Gulf, to December, 1863. Defenses of New Orleans, La., Dept. of the Gulf, to July. 1864. Rejoined Regiment at Pine Bluff, Ark.

Role of a Hospital Steward: "Temperate, Honest And Reliable"

The lowest ranking member of the Union and Confederate Medical Departments during the Civil War were usually hospital stewards- noncommissioned officers who received the pay and allowance of a sergeant major. Each regiment was authorized to have one hospital steward, who was often chosen by the regimental surgeon from the enlisted men in the unit. Hospital stewards were also assigned to permanent military hospitals.

Army regulations specified that men selected as hospital stewards had to be of good character: "temperate, honest, and in every way reliable, as well as sufficiently intelligent, and skilled in pharmacy." Temperance was an important quality since one responsibility of the hospital steward was controlling and dispensing medicinal whiskey. As he was responsible for keeping many medical records, the steward also needed to be literate and intelligent.

His other duties included assisting the field surgeon in operations, supervising hospital cooks and nurses, and even prescribing drugs and performing minor operations during emergencies. Army doctors relied heavily on hospital stewards for the day-to-day management of their department.

Regulations called for Union hospital stewards to wear the red-trimmed uniform of artillerymen. Their uniform insignia consisted of an emerald green, yellow-edged, half-chevron that bore a two-inch-long yellow caduceus (staff with two entwined snakes and two wings at the top). Hospital stewards of volunteer regiments, however, were known to wear a variety of different uniforms and insignia. Confederate hospital stewards' uniforms and insignias were not officially regulated, but one surgeon recalled that on the uniform many wore, "the chevrons on the coat sleeves and the stripe down the trousers... were similar to those worn by an orderly or first sergeant, but were black in color."


Service Record: William Albert Chute II, Canadian Armed Forces, Company A, 28th Battalion, World War I.

Note    Detailed Service Record 21         Back to History        Back to William Albert Chute II
William Albert Chute II

Here we have Corporal William Albert Chute, with his daughter, Mae; his father Frank A., and his grandfather William Albert Chute. The photograph was taken on his return to Grand Rapids after the World War, when he joined his father at the American Seating Co.

As Private Chute, our hero enlisted in the 28th Battalion, Canadian troops, in 1914, and is one of the half-dozen survivors of Co. A. He is the recipient of a score of English war medals.

Under the title, �Horrors of Hoode�, a battle in which he was made a captive by the Germans and kept in German prisons for months thereafter, the official report reads in part:

�Up to the end of May, 1916, the fortunes of the Battalion had fluctuated, for though they had suffered severely in October 1915, through the enemy�s mining activities at Kemmel, their part in the St. Eloi engagement was attended with comparatively light casualties. In the next action, however, the battle of Hooge on June 6, they suffered even worse losses than those sustained by the other battalions of the brigade in April. The companies A and B were all but wiped out � the former being victims of more German mines, while the latter came under one of the most terrific bombardments of the war. The 6th was the blackest day in the history of the unit, and while the casualties in the ranks were exceptionally high, some of the noblest and most experienced officers were lost.

The Germans attacked in overwhelming force and carried the Canadian line, despite a most gallant and heroic resistance during which the battalion machine gunners inflicted heavy losses upon the advancing masses until they were finally surrendered, overcome and taken prisoners.�

Source: 1923 American Seating Co. Added to Find-A-Grave memorial by Richard Howell 3/30/2014

 | Home | Chute Family Index | Full Surname Index | Contact | Citation Information Most recently revised on Wednesday, October 18, 2017. Contents ©2001 through 2017 in the AllChutes.ged. All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part or in any form by the Chute Family. Send corrections or additions to this record, or requests for reproduction in any form to The Chute Family. Core web site originally generated on Saturday, Mar 10 2001 using  GedHTree Version 2.08 ©1999, 2000 by Gary Welker (software developer), all rights reserved.
KEY TO SELECT EVENT ABBREVIATIONS: EMIG=Emigration, naturalization    MILI=Military Registration, Draft or Activity    POLI=Political office, elected or appointed  CITI=Applied for or obtained Citizenship    CENS=Census Record    ALT=Conflicting or Alternate Record    RESI=Residence    AKA=Alternate Name   IKA=Incorrectly known as   AWRD=Award    TRAV=Passenger Record not related to Emmigration    LAND=Land Purchase    GRAD=Graduated    ORDN=Ordained    BUSI=Business related event   DOCU=Document signed    NEWS=Newspaper date   INTN=Marriage Intention    MAR2=Remarriage    MOVE=Change of Address    WILL=Event assoc with own or other's will    ORDN=Ordained   PROB=Probate    SCHL=School Record    NAME=Name Change
ADMN=Admitted, Admission    DIVR=Divorce