Chute Family Notes: Notes 88-1624 through 88-1650

Note    N88-1624         Back to Index        Back to Henry Junior Chute and Katherine Sue Hebb Chute.
Notes on Henry Junior Chute and Katherine Sue Hebb Chute:

Obituary, Henry Junior Chute

CHUTE, HENRY JUNIOR. BLOUNTVILLE -- Henry Junior Chute, 67, formerly of Stollings, W.Va., died Friday, Jan. 11, 2002, at Bristol Regional Medical Center. He was born March 24, 1934, in Fairmont, W.Va., the son of the late Henry and Lena Murl Corbin Chute. He was a member of Sunbeam Chapel in Logan, W.Va., and attended Gospel Tabernacle Church in Abingdon. He was a member of the UMWA for 46 years and a retired mechanic from Elkay Mining Co. He was preceded in death by two sisters, Irene Cottrill and Francis Shingleton. He is survived by his wife of 46 years, Katharine Sue Hebb Chute; one son, David and wife, Mary Chute, of Abingdon; one daughter, Rebecca and husband, Allen White, of Bristol, Tenn.; one granddaughter, Hannah Leigh White of Bristol, Tenn.; several nieces and nephews; and a host of friends. Funeral services will be conducted at 11 a.m. Monday, Jan. 14, 2002, at Farris Funeral Chapel in Abingdon with the Rev. Darrell Henley officiating. Interment will follow at Forest Hills Memory Gardens. Pallbearers will be Ronald Lambert, Rodney Noland, Craig Sharps, Michael Sharps, Allen White and Danny White. The family will receive friends at the funeral home from 6-9 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 13, 2002. The family will also receive friends and family following funeral services on Monday at the home of David and Mary Chute, 19255 Sterling Drive, Abingdon. Farris Funeral Service is serving the Chute family."

Source: BRISTOL HERALD COURIER JAN 13, 2002. Bristol, Sullivan County, Tennessee, USA.

CHUTE, HENRY JUNIOR. BLOUNTVILLE -- Funeral services for Henry Junior Chute will be conducted at 11 a.m. Monday, Jan. 14, 2002, at Farris Funeral Chapel in Abingdon with the Rev. Darrell Henley officiating. Interment will follow at Forest Hills Memory Gardens. Pallbearers will be Ronald Lambert, Rodney Noland, Craig Sharps, Michael Sharps, Allen White and Danny White. The family will receive friends and family following funeral services on Monday at the home of David and Mary Chute, 19255 Sterling Drive, Abingdon. Mr. Chute, 67, formerly of Stollings, W.Va., died Friday, Jan. 11, 2002, at Bristol Regional Medical Center. Farris Funeral Service is serving the Chute family."

Source: BRISTOL HERALD COURIER JAN 14, 2002. Bristol, Sullivan County, Tennessee, USA.

Obituary, Katherine Sue Hebb Chute

Katharine Chute, age 76, of Bristol, TN went to be with the Lord on Monday, July 2, 2012 at Wellmont Hospice House. She was born June 29, 1936 to the late Howard Hebb and Etta Gay Lewis Hebb and lived in Logan, West Virginia where she was a member of Sunbeam Chapel for twenty-five years. She later moved to Bristol in 2001 and was a member of Charity Baptist Church. Mrs. Chute was a homemaker. In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her husband, Henry Chute in 2002 and by two brothers and five sisters.

Survivors: Children: David Chute and wife Mary, Rebecca White and husband Allen; Grandchildren: Hannah White, Rachel White; Several nieces and nephews

Funeral services will be conducted at 8:00 PM on Thursday, July 5, 2012 at Charity Baptist Church with Rev. Charles Brooks officiating. The family will receive friends from 6-8 prior to the service. The committal service and burial will be at 11:00 AM on Friday at Forest Hills Memorial Gardens in Abingdon, VA. Pallbearers will be Bill Sharps, Craig Sharps, Ronnie Lambert, Marty Stewart, Bobby Parks, and Zeb Cross. Honorary pallbearers will be Michael Sharps and Mark Findley. The family would like to say a special thank you to Dr. Claybrook and staff and to Paula from hospice. Online condolences may be registered at

Source: Weaver Funeral Home and Cremation Services online.


Note    N88-1625         Back to Index        Back to William Chute and daughter of Archdekne.
Notes on William Chute and the daughter of Arcdeacon or Archdekne:

7. Edmond, 1379, m. Dyonice, da. of Henry Stourton.
8. i. William, m da. of Archdeckne.
ii. Henry, ab. 1420; m Joane, da. of Edward Baskerville.
iii. Anthony, m. da. of Sir John Clifton. Kt., and had Christopher of Dorsetshire; m. Amancha, da. of Richard Wellgrove, Esq.
iv. Robert Sergeant at Law, and baron of the Exchequer in time of Henry VI. d. 1435. [See notes on this entry]

Source: Chute, William Edward. A Genealogy and History of the Chute Family in America: With Some Account of the Family in Great Britain and Ireland, with an Account of Forty Allied Families Gathered from the Most Authentic Sources. Salem, Massachusetts, 1894. Page 9.

Edward7 and Dionis had Henry, 8 1420, m. the dau. of Edward Hasherfield, Esq.; William8 m. , and d.s.p.

Source: The Heraldic Register Recording the Armorial Bearings and Genealogies of American Families, page 142

" ... Edmond Chute, living in 1379, who espoused Dyonice, daughter of Henry Stourton and had, with three other sons, viz., William who m. a daughter of ___ Archdekne; Anthony who wedded a daughter of Sir John Clifton, knt and Robert, a baron of the Exchequer, temp Henry VI*, Henry Chute who m. Joane, daughter of Edward Baskerville; and had a daughter Anne, the wife of Sir John Scutley, knt., and a son and heir, Robert Chute."

*This is incorrect. This individual was Robert Shute of the Shute family, not a Chute. At this point we're not sure there was a Robert Chute in this generation, or if only his occupation was in error.

Source: A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland, Enjoying Territorial Possessions or High Official Rank But Uninvested with Heritable Honors, John Burke, Esq., Volume I. Published for Henry Colburn by R. Bentley, New Burlington Street, London. 1833. Page 633.

[For a discussion between Lionel Chute, Francis Chute and Steve Chute on "William Chute" records, see the ongoing research on Arthur Chute.] May also be a son of Anthony Chute.


Note    N88-1626         Back to Index        Back to Roger Roy Chute and Rita Lorraine Erickson Chute.
Notes on Roger Roy Chute and Rita Lorraine Erickson Chute:

Roger Roy Chute: Military Service: was a U.S. Army Sergeant in Vietnam.

Source: Karen Marie Chute-Kilgallin, Chute Family Data Worksheet, 30 JUN 2006.


Note    N88-1627         Back to Index        Back to Dale Arlen Chute, Jr. and Sheila Ratzlaff-Chute.
Notes on Dale Arlen Chute, Jr. and Sheila Ratzlaff-Chute:

"We met at the St. James Theatre; I worked there. I was cleaning the windows, outside, when he walked by and said 'your windows are dirty'. I couldn't speak. He walked by again, after 30-minutes, and I blurted out 'Yes they are'. He hung around and we got to know each other. He said the same day, he went and picked out the wedding rings. He wooed me from July thru November, asking me to marry him. I kept saying 'no' because I'd been hurt so much before. On my mom's birthday, Nov. 14, 1985, He said, 'The only thing I want for my birthday is your heart' and then walked downstairs where my mom was. My cold heart melted. I discovered that I was already in love with him, and I agreed to marry. We married, with my whole family there and a few of his sisters; it lasted 18-yrs. I never gave up on him, even thru the ups and downs. But, On February 14th, 2004, the marriage ended. On 02/15/2004, I moved home to St. James, with our 14-yr old daughter, Alicia.

One more thing: I chose Alicia because at that time, the name meant from God, and she is. Plus, Alicia (pronounced: Alesha) is like 'sheila' spelled (sounded) backwards. That how I knew it was the perfect name.

My last name is Ratzlaff-Chute, I kept the Chute for my daughter's sake so she wouldn't get questions about how come your name is Chute, and your mom's is Ratzlaff. And, I needed to change it to Ratzlaff because my niece, Sheila Victoria Chute, lives in St. James, too. And is also living in the same building as me, and the same floor! So for sanity: I'm Ratzlaff-Chute."

Sheila Ratzlaff-Chute, Chute Family Data Worksheet, 7/5/2006


Note    N88-1628         Back to Index        Back to Norman Shaw Jackson and Hazel Chute Jackson.
Notes on Norman Shaw Jackson and Hazel Chute Jackson:

Their marriage license includes the information that Norman Shaw Jackson's occupation was "Baker" at the time of the marriage, and that he was a Presbyterian. Hazel listed her mother as "Susan Kinsman", as opposed to "Susannah", and her religious denomination as Methodist. Witnesses to the marriage were J.E. Grundy and K.B. Grundy, both of St. Thomas, while J.R. Grundy officiated at the ceremony.

There is some discrepancy in family records as to the name of Norman Shaw Jackson's mother: his marriage license identifies his mother as "Jennie" Springstead; the Family Genealogical Database used to flesh out this allied family identifies his mother as Liveria Jane ("Lillie") Springstead. While both shortened forms of the given name could apply to the same individual; there may be other reasons for this discrepancy.

Also, the individual "Irene Vesey" or "Vasey" appears in the Family Genealogical Database as Norman Shaw's first wife, while in the "Internet Inquiry Posting", she is listed as the wife of Norman and Hazel's son, James II.


Note    N88-1629         Back to Index        Back to Captain Myles or Miles Standish, Rose Standish and Barbara Allen Standish.
Notes on Captain Myles or Miles Standish, Rose Standish and Barbara Allen Standish:

"Myles Standish was born probably in Lancashire, England, probably in the vicinity of Chorley and Duxbury. There have been several attempts, generally unsuccessful, to place his origins on the Isle of Man, but the weight of the historical evidence leans towards the more probable Lancashire origin.

Myles Standish is alleged to have joined Queen Elizabeth's army and attained the rank of Lieutenant, but the documentation for this claim was lost in the 1920s without having been published or transcribed, so may be suspect. In any case, Standish was certainly a part of Queen Elizabeth's army, and was stantioned for a time in Holland where he eventually met and became well acquainted with John Robinson and the Pilgrims who were living in Leiden. Standish was hired by the Pilgrims to be their military captain, to establish and coordinate the Colony's defense against both foreign (French, Spanish, Dutch) and domestic (Native American) threats.

Standish led or participated in all the early exploratory missions sent out to explore Cape Cod, and was heavily involved in selecting the site where the Pilgrims would settle. He was one of the few who did not get sick at all the first winter, and is recorded as having greatly helped and cared for those who were sick. He organized the deployment of the colony's cannons and the construction of the fort at Plymouth. He led both trading expeditions and military expeditions to the various Indian groups in the region. He led the party that went in pursuit of the alleged killers of Squanto (who was later discovered to be safe). He led the revenge attacks on the Indians in the Massachusetts Bay after they were caught in a conspiracy planning to attack and destroy the Plymouth and Wessagussett colonies; several Indians are killed or executed, for which Standish received some criticism, even from his friends, for being too heavy-handed.

Standish was heavily involved in numerous aspects of Plymouth Colony, from defense to keeping the law. He was on the receiving end of John Billington's verbal wrath in 1621 (Billington refused to follow the captain's orders), and was called a "silly boy" in a letter that was sent out during the Oldham-Lyford scandal of 1624, and was noted for his short stature and for his quick temper. He was sent to arrest Thomas Morton in 1628, for which he received the nickname "Captain Shrimp" from Morton. William Hubbard reported Standish's temper was like a "chimney soon fired".

Despite the heavy criticism by his enemies, Standish was well respected within the Plymouth Colony, and held a number of positions of authority. He made several trips to England to bring trading goods back and to negotiate with the Merchant Adventurers who had financially sponsored the joint-stock company that funded the Pilgrims' voyage. In the mid-1630s, Standish moved his family and helped found the town of Duxbury, which may have been named after his ancestral home. Standish is an heir to a fairly sizeable estate in Lancashire, but his lands are lost during the English Civil War, and neither he nor his son Alexander were ever able to legally regain control of the estate.

Myles Standish's first wife Rose came with him on the Mayflower, and died the first winter. His second wife, Barbara, arrived on the ship Anne in 1623, and they were apparently married before the year was out. Nothing is known about either of his wives: there is absolutely no indication they were his cousins, as has sometimes been claimed.

Standish lived out his later years in Duxbury, dying in 1656 "after his suffering of much dolorous pain," apparently from kidney stones."

Author: Kenneth Linwood Shaw, III
John Shaw of Plymouth Plantation in Progress
Additional Source Referenced:
Mayflower Families through five Generations; Pilgrim Myles Standish, edited by Robert S. Wakefield, compiled by Russell L. Warner. Publication: General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, Massachusetts, 1997, Volume Fourteen.


Note    N88-1630         Back to Index        Back to Hugh Edwin Chute.
Notes on Hugh Edwin Chute:

According to his brother, Eli Herrold Chute, Hugh was living on RR#3 and employed as a "Sanitarian" in Logan Falls, in 1951, although records also have him living in Dayton. His World War II enlistment records show his occupation as "automobile serviceman", with two years of college.


Note    N88-1631         Back to Index        Back to Ralph General Chute and Catherine B. Knights (Harris) Chute.
Notes on Ralph General Chute and Catherine B. Knights (Harris) Chute:

Obituary, Catherine B. Knights (Harris) Chute

"CATHERINE B. CHUTE, CORINNA - Catherine B. Chute, 76, died November 12, 2003 at a Bangor hospital. She was born November 27, 1926 at Stetson the daughter of Fred and Bertha (Wakefield) Knights. She attended Stetson schools and worked for many years in Corinna area mills. She was also employed at Mountains of Food in Dexter, and Shorette's Restaurant in Newport. She was a member of Corundel Riders Snowmobile Club.

She is survived by 2 sons, Fred Harris, Jr. and his wife Sally, and Ricky Chute, all of Corinna; 2 daughters, Sally Chambers of Shawmut, and Ramona Brown of Hartland; 7 grandchildren; several great grandchildren. She was predeceased by her husbands, Fred Harris, Sr., and Ralph Chute, and 2 sons, Terry Chute and Dale Harris.

Friends may call from 2-4 P.M. Saturday at Crosby & Neal Funeral Chapel, 68 Exeter Road, Corinna, A graveside funeral and committal service will be held 2 P.M. Sunday, November 16th, at Morses Corner Cemetery, Corinna, with the Rev. Edward Jaworski officiating. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to a local humane society or animal shelter."

Source: The Daily ME (Daily Maine, online), November, 2003


Note    N88-1632         Back to Index        Back to Colin Campbell Chute and Christie Craig Clark Chute.
Notes on Colin C. Chute and Christie Clark Chute:

Obituary, Christy Craig Clark Chute. Photo courtesy of Gregory Chapman in the Chapman Family Tree

"Christy C. Chute" is listed as the sole surviving parent of George Edward Chute, recorded within the World War II "Book of Remembrance":

"In memory of Pilot Officer GEORGE EDWARD CHUTE who died on March 26, 1944.

Military Service:
Service Number: J/89451
Force: Air Force
Unit: Royal Canadian Air Force
Division: 49 (R.A.F.) Sqdn
Additional Information:
Son of Christy C. Chute, of Stewiacke, Colchester Co., Nova Scotia, Canada.
Commemorated on Page 273 of the Second World War Book of Remembrance.
Burial Information:

"May 31, 1931 - Sabbath. It was dark and cloudy. We were all at church. I sat in Roy's pew. Mr MacDonald preached from Psalm 119:59 - "I thought on my ways and turned my feet unto thy testimonies". Harry, Nellie, Donald, June and Lee came out from Truro in the p.m., leaving Louise Flemming, who was also with them, to visit at Edna's for a short time. They then went on to Musquodoboit to see Mr and Mrs Flemming. Glenn and Alice and family were up at Elwood Graham's to tea. Roy called to see Mrs C.D. Creelman and Mr Creelman, who are very ill. Colin Chute, Middle Stewiacke, is dead."

Source: The Journals of Elmira Blaikie 1870-1945
Year: 1931

Pedigree of Christie Clark Chute
Alexander Clark (son of Alexander and Charlotte Vetch Clark) md. 1st Susan White. They had 1 son and 5 daus.
1. Nora (Mrs. Levi Wentzell of Glenmore)
2. Emma (Mrs. Muir McCabe of Greenfield, Col. Co.)
3. Maude (Mrs. Byers Whidden of Greenfield, Col. Co.)
4. John md. Marion McCabe of Greenfield, Col. Co.)
5. Nellie (Mrs. Richard McCabe of Greenfield Col. Co.)
6. Elizabeth (Mrs. Turner McCabe of Greenfield, Col. Co.)

Alexander Clark md. 2nd Mrs. Ida Fisher, a widow in Upper Musquodoboit. They had 1 son and 4 daus.
7. Bertha md. 1st M. Fleck, md. 2nd Scott Forbes of Stewiacke.
8. Violet (Mrs. Wm. Stewart of Elmsvale)
9. Christie (Mrs. Colin Chute of Middle Stewiacke)
10. George md. 1st Thelma Redden md. 2nd Gladys ------.
11. Florence died young.

Source: Musquodoboit Pioneers: A Record of Seventy Families, Their Homesteads and Genealogies, 1780 - 1980
Volumes I & II. original text by Jennie Reid


Note    N88-1633         Back to Index        Back to Richard Chute, III and Agnes Bateman Chute       and Elizabeth Maunsell Chute.
Notes on Richard Chute III, Agnes Bateman Chute and Elizabeth Maunsell Chute:

Name: Richard Chute, esq. of Chute Hall, in the county of Kerry, b. in Oct 1763 ; m. first, in 1785, Agnes, daughter of Rowland Bateman, esq. of Oak Park, and has issue. Mr. Chute espoused, secondly, in 1798, Elizabeth, daughter of the Rev. Dr. William Maunsell, D.D. of the city of Limerick, and by her has two sons and three daughters.

Mr. Chute, who succeeded his father in Mar 1782, acted for many years as a magistrate of the county of Kerry until, from declining health, he was compelled to retire from the bench. He served the office of high sheriff, shortly after his attaining majority, in 1786."

Source: Burke, Bernard. A Genealogical and Heraldic History of The Commoners of Great Britain And Ireland Enjoying Territorial Possessions or High Official Rank: But Uninvested With Heritable Honours.: Chute, of Chute Hall.

Rowland Bateman, Esq., of Oak Tark, M.P. for the co. of Kerry, and also for the borough of Tralee, m. in 1758, Letitia, eldest dau. of Sir Thomas Denny, Knt. of Tralee Castle, by Agnes, his wife, dau. of John Blenncrha&sett, Esq. of Ballyseedy. The issue of this marriage was,
Rowland, b. 1760, d. young.
Rowland, successor to his father.
Thomas, b. 1767, d. young.
Agnes, m. to Richard Chute, Esq., of Tullygarron, and had issue, two sons, Francis and Rowland, and three daus.

Source: Burke, J. Bernard, Esq. A Genealogical and Heraldic History of The Commoners of Great Britain And Ireland for 1852, Comprising Particulars of Upwards of 100,000 Individuals: Volume I, A-O, Colburn & Co., Publishers, Great Marlborough Street, London 1852. Bateman of Oak Park, Page 68.


Note    N88-1634         Back to Index        Back to Reverend Robert Wade and Elizabeth Chute Wade.
Notes on Reverend Robert Wade and Elizabeth Chute Wade:

WEC: "Reverend Robert Wade was the Rector of Milltown, County Kerry."

He was later the Vicar of Christchurch in Norfolk (1861) and the Vicar of New Catton, Norwich (1881). Elizabeth's sister Margaret lived with the household at the time of the 1861 census and 1881 census; her sister Elizabeth died a year after the 1861 census, but Margaret remained in the Vicar's household and was still living with him in 1881.


Note    N88-1635         Back to Index        Back to Edwin Belle Heath and Alice Jane Chute Heath.
Notes on Edwin Belle Heath and Alice Jane Chute Heath:

"I have heard Mother tell so much about my great grandfather Chute and his family. Aunt Alice (your mother) was the youngest of the family and mother said she only weighted 1 1/2 lbs when born, they had to carry her in (or on) a pillow for quite a while she was so tiny. Mother was very close to all her aunts and uncles as she spent a lot of her time when a child at their place. They must have had a large farm and were quite well off, it seems, but whether there would be any of that place standing now or not its hard to tell. I was 18 when we left N.S. and went to Maine to live. We lived very near Cape [illegible] where the amethyst is found it is really very beautiful scenery down there, the land is very fertile and they have quite big farms all through the Cornwallis Valley. Yes! A good many of your mother's people were diabetics and it has come down through the family. Aunt Mimie Phillips has had it for years and Vesta Reese's daughter has it."

Letter dated 1968 from Alice Cassaboom, granddaughter of Amoret R. Chute about Amoret's sister, Alice Jane. Chute. Letter courtesy of Nancy A. Jones.

Nancy added the comment, "It's a small miracle that Alice survived such a low birth weight considering it was 1863 and I would think there would be a record of it somewhere. My Aunt Dell told me her tiny baby clothes were in a museum in Nova Scotia at the time."


Note    N88-1636         Back to Index        Back to Richard Harding Sanford and Rebecca Potter Sanford       and Jerusha Chute Sanford.
Notes on Richard Harding Sanford, Rebecca Potter Sanford and Jerusha Chute Sanford.

The three children attributed to Richard Harding Sanford and Jerusha Chute Sanford have been moved to the Sanford-Potter marriage. William Edward Chute wrote that Jerusha was a "postmistress and merchant", but an even more wonderful tribute to Jerusha Chute Sanford was provided in an anonymous database, and was attributed to "Jack Sanford", who may have been Zenas ("Jack") Sanford, son of Edward Pryor Sanford:

"Jerusha was one of God's wonderful women. Not only did she step in and take over the bringing up of the 10 children not her own, but she was an active Church Member, ran the store and yet always had her home open for visiting clergymen and others. I well remember Mother telling me of how she was respected and how much she seemed to be able to accomplish with what they had to do with in that day. It has been said that all her step children loved her; to accomplish that she must have been a diplomat and a most wise woman".

If the speaker is Zenas ("Jack") Sanford, the "Mother" mentioned in this passage would have been Serena Edith Minard, wife of Edward Pryor Sanford and daughter of David Minard and Louisa A. Chute. Louisa was Jerusha's younger sister - as well as her step daughter-in-law!

Source: database, unattributed; author and researcher unknown.


Note    N88-1637         Back to Index        Back to Peter Weare, Ruth Gooch Weare and Mary Weare.

Notes on Peter Weare, Ruth Gooch Weare and Mary Weare:

"Peter Weare, b. in England, 1618, came over to America about 1638, and was settled at York, Maine, about 1650. He is said to have been a prominant man at York, recorder of deeds, 1667, etc., and may have been a brother or cousin to Robert of Dedham, and the same also of Nathaniel of Hampton, N.H. And it is possible that they came of a family that has lived in Devonshire and Somersetshire, England, since the 14th century. Peter married Ruth, daughter of John and Ruth (Hammond) Gooch; she died about 1664; he married 2nd, Mary, daughter of Dep. Governor John Davis of York, Maine, 1666, and was killed or captured by Indians, January 25, 1692, when over 100 of the settlers perished. The widow died January 28, 1718-19, aged 85."

Source: A Genealogy and History of the Chute Family in America: With Some Account of the Family in Great Britain and Ireland, with an Account of Forty Allied Families Gathered from the Most Authentic Sources
William Edward Chute, published Salem Massachusetts, 1894
Page ccxxiii

"His father was probably another Peter of Charfield. Was here approximately 1638 when he and Thomas Brooks, alias Basil Parker, bought John Wilcox's land at Great Works. In early years he traveled to Winnipesaukee and the Merrimack for furs, settled at York by 1643, and on the homestead on Cape Neddick River by 1650. Favoring Mass., he was often a storm center and is now considered unqualified for some of his public positions, but York evidently found him useful, as he was chosen selectman 18 times 1653-1683. Trial jury first time 1640, grand jury 1645; York commisioner (in place of selectman) 1657, 1660, 1664; town clerk; Representative 1660, 1665, 1669; Recorder; County Treasurer Imprisoned by the Royalists in 1668, and had been in prison for some reason in 1675 when George Norton sued the prison keeper for letting him out. In 1685, as the executor, he went to England to prove the will of his brother Thomas of Charfield. In 1688 had Cape Neddick ferry license.

In 1730 administration on Peter Weare's estate was given to heirs of son, Elias, heirs of older sons having declined, Elias' heirs to pay the others' shares, each �41, 6s. 7p."

Source: The Noyes Family
Author/Researcher: Paul M. Noyes
Comments: "In part based on the two-volume set by Col. Henry E. Noyes, Genealogical Record of Some of the Noyes Descendants of James, Nicholas and Peter Noyes, published in 1904. Nearly 700 additional sources have been added over the years with literally thousands of citations to these various sources."

Note that son Elias was reported to have died during an Indian attack on the road between Cape Neddick and York.

There is considerable discrepancy on the names, birthdates and places and dates of marriage of the two wives of Peter Weare. Some sources identify Weare's second wife as "Mary Purrington" or "Puddington", the daughter of John Purrington or Puddington. WEC has identified her as Mary Davis, the daughter of Deputy Governor John Davis (I then needed to assume that her first husband may have been a Purrington or Puddington.) As to his first wife, some sources have given her place of birth as "Slymbridge" or "Slimbridge" in York County, Maine, but I suspect the town in question was actually located in Gloucestershire, Great Britain, in the same county where Peter Weare was born. Given the uncertainty as to when and where the two marriages occurred, it is also uncertain as to which child is connected with which mother. Son Elias has been attributed to both Ruth and Mary in different records. I've attributed him to Ruth here, but this is not a confirmed connection, by any means - his mother may have been Mary.

The Candlemas Raid/Massacre, January 25, 1692, York, Maine
The incident related by William Edward Chute, "when over 100 of the settlers perished" is also known (depending on who is speaking) as the "Candlemas Raid" (or, as the settlers called it, "The Candlemas Massacre") which took place on January 25, 1692. At that time, the area of York, Maine was under the control of the Massachusette Bay Colony, and was considered the "frontier" of Massachusetts. Twenty years earlier, Massachusetts had been the site of one of the bloodiest wars in their history, King Philip's War - James Chute, Sr. had participated in this battle - and settlers in the frontiers of Massachusetts were uneasy.

By "Indians", he is referring to a confederation of Algonquin tribes, the Wabanaki Confederacy (consisting of the Abenaki, Maliseet, Passamaquoddy, Mi'kmaq, and Penobscot) which, prior to the arrival of Europeans, had often banded together against the Iroquois. Many of these tribes had already been decimated by diseases brought by European mariners, and by this point were also banded together in an effort to survive. They had been pushed to the breaking point by, among other things, an order issued by Governor John Leverett of Massachusetts: tribes along the frontier of Massachusetts were to be forcibly disarmed. This was essentially a death sentence - how could they hunt for food without arms? - and the tribes reacted angrily. In fairness, the colonists who had lived side-by side with the Wabanaki Confederacy also argued with the Massachusetts Governor on their behalf:

"Sir, these Indians amongst us, live amongst us by hunting as your honor well know it. I do not see how we can take away their arms whose livelihood that depends upon it they may be forced to go to the French for relief, or to fight against us." Commander Thomas Gardiner, Pemaquid, to Governor John Leverett of Massachusetts

Governor Leverett did not rescind his order, and it was Madockawando, a Penobscot, who chose to fight, rather than ask the French for aid and it was he who led the war party from the Wabanaki Confederacy into battle against the garrison settlement at York. The colonists viewed it as a massacre. The Wabanaki viewed it as a raid to regain their own confiscated arms and supplies. Of Madockawando, Bruce Bourque, Maine State Museum Chief Archaeologist, says,

"Madockawando should have the status of all the usually important native Chiefs and warriors in North America. But because consciousness of the frontier only rose in the American psyche after American colonists began to spill over the Alleghenies all of the conflicts east of the Alleghenies kind of got rolled up into this folklore Indian Wars category. And the remarkable individuals who played roles in that are sort of forgotten to history. Madockawando's clearly one of them."

The tragedy of this incident is that, to some degree, the residents of the York settlement, who had lived in relative peace with the Wabanaki Confederacy, actually supported the Indian right to bear arms, and were taken by surprise when they were attacked. Governor Leverett, in ignoring the frontier colonists' requests to revoke the order, helped to set this tragedy in motion. Peter Weare was one of the colonists who probably died (or he may have been taken into slavery, although this is extremely unlikely as he was in his 70's) when Madockawando's war party attacked. Other Chute and Allied family members impacted by this event: Richard Bankes or Banks, ancestor of many of our Banks allied family members.

Compiled from:

Transcript of The Frontier Wars | Violence on Maine's Frontier
Part of the PBS series, "The Story of Maine". Additional information from The Maine State Museum and Northeast Historic Films.

"York commemorates Candlemas Raid". Author Nancy Cicco, Portsmouth Herald. 1 FEB 2001

The Sarah Orne Jewett Text Project, Terry Heller 2003-2004. Information on the York garrison was provided by the Michelin Guide to New England, 1993.

Research by Emerson W. Baker and James Kences (from Maine History, Volume 40, Number 3, Fall 2001, pages 159-189) of the North Shore Community College suggests that the Candlemas Raid may have had a direct impact on the outbreak of the Salem Witch Trials, which took place later that same year.

Abenaki History�, written by Lee Sultzman. Latest Revisision 9.29.04.

Abenaki Tribal History, Culture, Language and Information

For further information on Madockawando:

Genealogical Dictionary of Maine and New Hampshire, 5 parts in 1:
Sybil Noyes, Charles T. Libby and Walter G. Davis
Note: not the same book as sourced, but may have some similar data.
Western Abenakis of Vermont, 1600-1800: War, Migration, and the Survival of an Indian People
Western Abenakis of Vermont, 1600-1800:
War, Migration, and the Survival of an Indian People
French Baron of Pentagovet: Baron St. Castin and the Struggle for Empire in Early New England
French Baron of Pentagovet:
Baron St. Castin and the Struggle for Empire in Early New England
(For those readers thinking, "Huh?", the Baron St. Castine married Madockawando's daughter and was a key participant in this struggle.)
Reclaiming The Ancestors: Decolonizing a Taken Prehistory of the Far Northeast, Vol. 1
Reclaiming The Ancestors:
Decolonizing a Taken Prehistory of the Far Northeast, Vol. 1


Note    N88-1638         Back to Index        Back to Richard Bankes or Banks, and Elizabeth Alcock Bankes or Banks.

Notes on Richard Bankes or Banks and Elizabeth Alcock Bankes or Banks:

From William E. Chute: "Henry F. Waters of Salem, in his Gleanings from English Records, 1880, mentions the will of John Bancks of London probably 1630, in which the testator remembers William, Richard, Thomas, George and Mary, children of his uncle, William Bancke, deceased; also cousin Ralph Fogg.

Richard Banckes, who came to America and settled at Scituate, Mass., about, or before, 1640, may have been connected with the family mentioned above. In 1643 he was a settler in York County, Me., where he was a Provincial Councilor for 1651-2, under Gov. Edward Godfrey; Selectman off and on twenty years; Trial Justice or Commissioner several years; Court Appraiser the best part of thirty years, to 1691; besides other appointments, as Tax Commissioner, 1652; Overseer of County Prison, 1673; etc. He was made a freeman 1652, and in 1681 appears in a list of inhabitants swearing allegiance to the King. He died, or was carried off by Indians, early in 1692, when 187 of the people of York were either killed or carried off captive to Canada. He married Elizabeth, daughter of John and Elizabeth Alcock, of York, who survived him several years."

Source: A Genealogy and History of the Chute Family in America: With Some Account of the Family in Great Britain and Ireland, with an Account of Forty Allied Families Gathered from the Most Authentic Sources
William Edward Chute, published Salem Massachusetts, 1894
Pages ix-x

The following notes have been compiled by Jim Eakins, sources cited where known:

"Richard Bancks: The English ancestors of Richard Bancks, in spite of much research by many people, including Dr. Charles Banks, the Maine Historian, are still in considerable doubt. The difficulty would not appear to be a lack of information about the Bancks family but, rather, the impossibility of determining which of the Richards came to America. Frederick Lewis Weis, the well-known Genealogist, in tracing the Tillinghast family gives the following: "Thomas Banckes, merchant and Alderman of London. His daughter Joan Banckes married Robert Tichborne. Their daughter, Elizabeth, married Pardon Tillinghast, Jr."

It is quite possible that Thomas had other children besides Joan, but since Mr. Weis was only interested in the Tillinghast family she is the only one mentioned in this instance. Several genealogists, including William E. Chute, have pointed out another possibility: some even considering it proven. Dr. Banks was not entirely in agreement with this conjecture as the records he found did not indicate what happened to this particular Richard. Dr. Banks found:

"John Bancks, who made his will in London, England, circa 1630, mentioned the children of his Uncle William Banks (wife unknown) as William, Richard (possibly our immigrant ancestor), Thomas, George, and Mary".

Dr. Banks was sure that he had identified Richard as living in the parish of Alkham, County Kent, since he came to America with his brother-in-law, Thomas Curtis, and with Abraham Preble and John Twisden, Senior, both of the same vicinity. It is not out of the bounds of possibility that his first move might have been from London to Alkham, and he may have been the same man mentioned as the son of William. At the time of his marriage in England, Richard was listed as a tailor. Just prior to his migration there had been an epidemic in which many people died. There was also trouble in the textile industry. Being a widower, with all three of his children dead, it is not surprising that he decided to seek a new life far from the scene of his misfortunes.

Richard, the immigrant ancestor of this genealogy, came to America and settled at Scituate, in the Plymouth Colony. He took the Oath of Fidelity, in Scituate, circa 1642. Theodore Leslie Banks (TLB) notes that Richard returned to England briefly to marry Elizabeth Curtis. TLB notes that:

"In 1641 Oliver Cromwell was called upon to savagely subdue a bitter Irish rebellion. In 1642 civil war erupted in England, with Cromwell leading the rebellion against Charles I. In 1644, when Richard returned to England to marry Elizabeth Curtis, the civil war between Cromwell's party and the King's loyalists was in full swing". Richard was sent out from Scituate to organize and lay out townships in what is now the state of Maine. He settled at York which was originally called Agamenticus, on a grant which was given Sir Fernandez Georges in 1622, and he named it the "City of Georgeana". Thomas Gorges was its first mayor. In 1652 Massachusetts gained control and changed the name to York. Richard had twenty acres of land laid out to him and signed submission to Massachusetts at the dwelling house of Nicholas Davis at York, on 22 November 1652. Roland Young, the ancestor of the Young family of Annapolis, Nova Scotia, signed this paper at the same place and date. Mr. Banks was Assistant at the Court in 1652; Selectman for 7 years; juror 12 times; a Trial Justice; Court Appraiser; Tax Commissioner; and Overseer of the County Prison.

Theodore Leslie Banks notes that:

"In 1655, when Richard married his third wife, Cromwell was in his second year a Lord Protector of England, and that Charles I had been beheaded 6 years previously". In 1673, Richard Banks, along with Edward Richworth, was a joint signer of a letter to the churches that invited deligates to a council to select the Rev. Shubael Dummer as pastor of York. This was the first church gathered in Maine and Rev. Dummer was the first settled minister. Rev. Dummer, a brother-in-law to Richard Banks, was shot, and killed, at his own door by Indians in Massacre of 1692. Richard was killed York Raid of 1692 when Indians and French raided, killing 48 and capturing 70 others. This raid was but one of a continuing series of raids and counterraids. There is no mention of his sons Samuel and Job after that date so they may have likewise perished. His widow and two remaining sons made an agreement, on 22 April 1696, for the division of his estate see "History of the Indian Wars of New England" by Sylvester (Vols.2,pp.462-465).

[Notes from Eleanor Banks Vines] Richard Bankes in his day and generation lived the life of an average man, assuming his share of the burdens and responsibilities of office as a citizen. It will be only necessary to group those public functions which he performed; - Provincial Councillor 1651, 1652, under the administration of Governor Edward Godfrey; Selectman, 1653, 1654, 1656, 1659, 1676, 1679, 1680; Juror, 1649, 1653, 1655, 1656, 1658, 1661, 1662, 1664, 1665, 1666, 1671; Trail Justice or "Commisioner," 1669, 1672, 1679; Court Appraiser, 1659, 1663, 1671, 1676, 1679, 1681, 1686, 1691, besides several other special appointment, as Tax Commissioner 1652, Overseer of County Prison, 1673. He became a Freeman of Massachusetts at the time of the usurpation proceedings 1652, and in 1681 appears in a list of inhabitants swearing allegiance to the King. He figures once in Court (1654) as a defendant in a suit of respass, involving the title to some marsh land in York, and was defeated and muleted for cost of the suit. In 1673, with Edward Rishworth, he was the joint signer of a letter to the Churches inviting delegates to a council to settle the Rev. Shubaal Dummer, H.C., 1656 (his brother-in-law, they having married sisters) as pastor of the CHurch at York. His last public act was an appraiser, 3 April, 1691. The date of his death is not positively known, except that it occured in 1692; and as that was the year of the terrible Indian Massacre, January 25, 1691-92, when 137 inhabitants of York were either killed or carried captive to Canada by the savages, his pastor and and relative being among the dead, it is extremely probable that he met his fate also in that tragedy which sent such a shudder throughout New England.

[More notes from Eleanor Banks Vines] In our family, the original immigrant was Richard Banks, who came to Scituate, Massachusetts, and moved before the summer of 1643 to York, Maine. He was born in Alkam Parish, Enland, and married Elizabeth Alcocke of York. Richard died in 1692, the year of the terrible indian raids and massacre that nearly destroyed the York settlement, and left 137 dead or taken captive into Canada. It is probable that he was among the victims. Elizabeth survived him several years. They had four sons - John, married Elizabeth Turbat, Joseph, Samuel and Job.

[Still more notes from Eleanor Banks Vines] Richard Bankes, the emigrant ancestor of this family in Maine, was an early settler of Agamenticus (York), undoubtedly before the summer of 1643, living in that part of the town known as "Scituate," the other division being designated "Scotland." These local names are probably derived from the previous residence of the people who settled there, and in the case of Richard Bankes, it appears that in company with Abraham Preble and Thomas Curtis, at sometime prior to his settlement in Maine, he took the oath of fidelity at Scituate, Mass. With one of these fellow emigrants, for such I judge them to be, he appears in Georgiana (York), purchasing in partnership, July 19, 1645, with Abraham Preble, John Tivisden, his brother-in-law, and Thomas Curtis; and November 20th of the same year, tracts of land of Sir Ferdinando Gorges, The Lord Proprietor, and of William Hooke, one of the patentees. Finding no evidence of the residence of Richard Bankes in Scituate, I assume that the record of his oath of fidelity in that town is merely the result of a temporary sojurn there, perhaps among friends, before he chose his final home in New England; and it is of interest to note in this connection that his companion Abraham Preble married Judith Tilden of Scituate, daughter of the emigrant Nathaniel, and that an Elizabeth Bankes, who may have been a sister of Richard, married William Blackmore of Scituate in 1666, and for her second husband Jacom Bumpers of the same place. This seems to explain the local origin of the name "Scituate" as a section of the old town of York, Maine. Richard Banks, the immigrant ancestor of this family, came to America and settled at Scituate, in Plymouth Colony. He may be the nephew Richard, son of William, mentioned in the will of John Banckes, of London, 1630. He was afterward sent to lay out and organize new townships in what is now Maine, settled in York County in that province, and held several important public offices there. He married Elizabeth, daughter of John and Elizabeth Alcocke, of York. From them through John, who married Elizabeth, daughter of Peter Turbat, Moses, who married Ruth, daughter of Elias and Magdalen Weare, came Joshua, born September 13, 1713, married September 18, 1737, Mary Muchmore, who, with all his family, came to Annapolis County in 1760. His son Moses, on his marriage, settled in Wilmot, and Joshua followed him some years later.

[Notes by Everett P. Inman] A planter, York ME, he had 20 acres land laid out 19 Jul 1645. Was mayor 1643- 1644. An asst. at the court held at Mr Guillison's, 7 Nov 1652; he took an oath of allegience to the Mass. govt. 22 Nov 1652. Sold land 7 May 1664. Married 1st in Eng.; married 2nd to Eliz. Curtis, 3rd to Elizabeth Alcock. Was prominent in public offices; killed in Massacre of 1692.


Note    N88-1639         Back to Index        Back to John Bankes or Banks, and Elizabeth Turbat Bankes or Banks.

Notes on John Bankes or Banks and Elizabeth Turbat Bankes or Banks:

From William E. Chute: "Born about 1657; Selectman, 1693; Grand Juror, 1692-3, and 1701; m. twice; the second wife was Elizabeth, daughter of Peter and Sarah (Saunders) Turbat, of Wells, and d. 1726; she d. 1738."

Source: A Genealogy and History of the Chute Family in America: With Some Account of the Family in Great Britain and Ireland, with an Account of Forty Allied Families Gathered from the Most Authentic Sources
William Edward Chute, published Salem Massachusetts, 1894
Pages ix-x

Notes courtesy of Jim Eakins: "John was a Selectman, in 1693; a Grand Juror, in 1692-93 and in 1701; and removed to York, Maine. He built his home in the York Beach area, a mile or two away from the town and this edifice, with some additions, was still standing, but was known to be vacant, in 1975. It was rumoured, in 1976, that the town had bought the 15 or 20 acre homestead property for school purposes with intentions of renovating the old building for offices."

Notes by Eleanor Banks Vines: "John, the oldest son of Richard and Elizabeth Alcocke Banks, was born in York, in or before 1657. He apparently lived his life in that locality, as his name appears occasionally in town records. He married twice, but the name of his first wife is unknown; the second marriage was to Elizabeth Turbat of Wells. He died between September 1724 and April 1726. Elizabeth survived him, her will being dated 1737 and probated in 1738. Their children were Moses (married Ruth Weare), Hannah, Aaron, Mary."


Note    N88-1640         Back to Index        Back to Lieutenant Moses Bankes or Banks, and Ruth Weare Bankes or Banks.

Notes on Lieutenant Moses Bankes or Banks and Ruth Weare Bankes or Banks:

"Moses Banks b. about 1600; lived upon the family homestead in York through life. He had various offices on land and sea, and was called Lieutenant on the town book. He was in Colonel Thomas Westbrook's company, 1722-5, to fight Indians. He m., 1712, Ruth, daughter of Elias and Magdalen (Hilton) Weare, and d. 1750. She d. 1763, aged 66-7."

Source: A Genealogy and History of the Chute Family in America: With Some Account of the Family in Great Britain and Ireland, with an Account of Forty Allied Families Gathered from the Most Authentic Sources
William Edward Chute, published Salem Massachusetts, 1894
Page x

Note by Jim Eakins: he was an envoy to the Indians to negotiate for the return of captives.

Again, by "indians", William Edward Chute is referring to the Wabanaki Confederation, who were also involved in the York Candlemas Raid/Massacre in 1692. This war is known by a number of different names, and it isn't clear whether this is the Second, Third or Fourth Indian War.

Lovewell's War, Dummer's War, Fourth Indian War, Lovell's War, 1721-1725

"Dummer's or Lovewell's War: Conflict erupted again in 1721, after further hostilities during peace time over land use. Angered by the increasing encroachment of the English settlers, some Wabanaki had killed several cattle and burned crops and buildings. Massachusetts retaliated by taking four Wabanaki prisoner, as well as a Frenchman--Joseph d'Abbadie, the son of the French Baron de St. Castin. D'Abbadie lived in the Penobscot Valley, among a Wabanaki tribe there, and had married Pidimamiska, the daughter of a powerful Wabanaki chief. Fighting continued for six years. Father Sebastian Rale, a French Jesuit priest that had established a mission in Norridgewock, was slaughtered in this war, as were many of his neophytes. Another battle in the upper Saco River Valley took the lives of twenty Wabanaki Indians and twenty Englishmen, including their commander, John Lovewell. Lovewell's War brought destruction to most remaining Wabanaki villages, forcing most of the Wabanaki further northward into Canada or eastward, away from the English. While the Wabanaki tribes had been a strong military force during the first three colonial wars, this war depleted much of their power."

Source: Maine Public Radio, A TIMELINE OF MAINE HISTORY: through 1820
"Start of Lovewell's War (Second Indian War). Supported by the French in Quebec, this Indian War probably caused more trouble to the people in Casco Bay and Little Sebascodegan Island than any other. Many bay area settlers were killed or taken captive. 1726, end of Lovewell's War."

Source: Curtis Memorial Library, Brunswick and Harpswell, Maine

"Lovell's War. Fourth �Indian� War. In 1722 a declaration of war against all the hostile tribes of Indians was published at Portsmouth and Boston, and a bounty of 100 pounds was offered for every Indian scalp. This, which was called Lovell's war, was bloody and distressing, and continued until Dec. 15, 1725, at which time articles of peace were signed at Falmouth.".

Source: The Gazetteer of the State of New Hampshire (in three parts), compiled from the best authorities, by Eliphalet Merrill and the Late Phinehas Merrill, Esq.,
Printed by C. Norris & Co. , Exeter, NH, �1817, pg 61

"By all these names has this war been called. The quarrel was between the two provinces of Massachusetts and New Hampshire and the Eastern Indians, especially those of Norridgewock.

The French openly had no part in it for the two Crowns were at peace, but when in 1724 the Norridgewocks asked for help Louis XIV wrote that while it is not expedient that France appear in this war, yet it is proper that Sr. de Vaudreuil "do secretly encourage the other nations to assist the Abenakis" by telling them that the English intend to become masters of the whole continent and to enslave all the Indian nations.� In revenge for the attempt to capture Father Rale the Indians burned the village of Brunswick, and then Massachusetts declared war. People were killed and prisoners taken from the eastern settlements and from far-away Northfield. Norridgewock was burned and Father Rale killed, although orders had been given to spare his life. Three of the four officers in command of the little troop had been captives in earlier wars. They were Captains Harmon and Moulton and Lieutenant Bean or Bane.

There were fewer atrocities in this war. The priest's intervention may have prevented some, but the chief reason was Governor Shute's order that non-combatants be removed from exposed places. One instance of compliance was at Kittery, where thirty six houses were made "defencible" and all the families were ordered to "Lodge therein."

When M. de Vaudreuil was consulted about a peace he answered that it did not concern the French, and the Mission Indians of his country refused the belts of peace because they "wished to continue to harass the English." Nevertheless, in the Council Chamber at Boston in December, 1725, Dummer's treaty - now in the State House - was signed by four eastern sagamores and Lieutenant-Governor Dummer, who had been acting since 1723, when Shute ran away to England. Were these the four Indians who were presented two years later with elegant clothing? "A Broad Cloth Coat Trim'd with Silver Lace" and three blankets similarly adorned; with ruffled shirts and "a hatt with gold lace?"

�N. Y. Docs., IX, 936.

Additional Information:


Note    N88-1641         Back to Index        Back to Anthony Tracy-Keck, Esq. of Great Kew, and Lady Susan Hamilton Keck.
Portrait of Anthony Tracy-Keck, Lady Susan Hamilton Keck, with daughters Susan and Charlotte. Artist unknown

Notes on Anthony Tracy-Keck, Esq. of Great Kew, and Lady Susan Hamilton Keck:

Anthony Keck Date: 1708 - 1767 Racehorse breeder

Anthony Keck or Anthony (Tracy) Keck is recorded as the owner and occupier of Richmond House in Twickenham between 1744 and 1766 (Anthony Keck Esq. in the Churchwardens' Accounts). Cobbett (Memorials of Twickenham, 1872) states that he bought the property from Viscount Montague. He also acquired three adjoining cottages from Lady Torrington, the daughter-in-law of the Earl of Bradford. He was the grandson of Catherine, eldest of nine daughters of Sir Anthony Keck (1639-95). Catherine married, first, Ferdinando Tracy of Stanway House in Gloucestershire, and secondly, Edward Chute of the Vine, Hampshire. By her first marriage she had two sons, John and Anthony. John married Ann, daughter of Sir Robert Atkyns, Baron of the Exchequer. They had 4 sons: Ferdinando, Anthony, Thomas and William, and 5 daughters. In 1729 Anthony took the name of Keck, his grandmother's maiden name by a condition in the will of his great-uncle Francis Keck, which enabled him to inherit the manor of Great Tew, Oxfordshire.

He married Lady Susanna (Susan) Hamilton (1706-55), 7th child of the 4th Duke of Hamilton & 1st Duke of Brandon on 3 August 1736 and there were two daughters of the union, Charlotte and Susan.

An Ann Keck, daughter of Ann, who was baptised at St Mary's Church on 11 January 1745 may have been a family member, but has not been traced. Lady Susan was an energetic and prominent political manager of the time. Although he was elected MP for New Woodstock in 1754 through the influence of the Duke of Marlborough, his interest was in horse racing rather than politics and it cost him a lot of money. He was, according to Jackson's Oxford Journal,

"A Gentleman universally admired for the ingenuous openness of his disposition, engaging Affability, and peculier Integrity towards his Friends."

He died of happiness (apoplexy) at Epsom Races when his horse won its heat, in 1767. Richmond House Little is known about his life in Twickenham although he apparently came to the attention of the Manor Court in 1751 (London Metropolitan Archives, ACC1379/43, pp 143 & 188). On 2 October that year it was reported at a Court Baron that he had encroached on public land by the erection of a new wall beyond the old foundation and had erected a building on part of the footpath next to the Thames. At the same Court it was reported that he had trespassed by "lopping several elm trees on waste ground of the Manor near his dwelling house". There is no further word of this matter in the manorial records.

The family of Anthony Keck: The Keck family
Many Kecks were drawn to the law: eleven admissions to the Middle and Inner Temple alone are recorded between 1650 and 1720. Anthony was a popular Christian name, probably used as a tribute to the first recorded Anthony. Sir Anthony Keck, barrister of the Inner Temple, of Great Tew and, later, Blunsdon in Wiltshire enjoyed a distinguished career in the previous century. He was knighted in 1689 by William III and made one of three Commissioners of the Great Seal. He was the fifth son of Nicholas and Margaret, living variously at Mickleton, Glos; Swalecliffe, Oxon; and Broom Court, Warks. He married Mary, daughter of Francis Thorne. A son, also Anthony is recorded as buried "in ye round" (that is, the Temple Church) on 18 May 1688. This may have been the son recorded as baptised on 2 March 1683 at St Olave, Old Jewry. His will of 2 May 1696 (PCC Prob11/433) describes him as of St Dunstan's in the West. He left one son, Francis (1660-1728), born at Great Tew, as well as the nine daughters. Thomas, an older brother of Sir Anthony was admitted to the Inner Temple on 11 November 1651 having previously been admitted to Gray's Inn in 1641. He became a Master of the Bench of the Middle Temple in 1669, dying in 1671. Samuel, his eldest son was also admitted, becoming, in 1669 a Master in Chancery. Dying in 1725 he was buried in the Temple Church. Four other sons of Thomas: Nicholas, Morris, Anthony and John were admitted to the Middle Temple, though none were actually called to the Bar. An Anthony Keck (1726-97) practised as an architect in Gloucestershire and surrounding counties during the 18th century. He was born either at Great Tew, or at Mickleton, suggesting that he was of the same family. He was buried at St George's Church, Kings Stanley, Gloucestershire where there is a plaque recording this.

Mr Keck of the Temple and the Chandos portrait of Shakespeare
According to George Vertue, writing in 1719, a "Mr Keck of the Temple" had owned the Chandos portrait of William Shakespeare, having bought it from a Mr. Betterton for 40 guineas. This was Robert Keck (?1686-1719), FRS whose admission to the Inner Temple is recorded for 1701. His father, yet another Anthony (1660-1714) was s son of Nicholas who was, possibly, an older brother of Sir Anthony Keck. When Robert died in 1719 the picture came into the possession of his cousin Francis of Great Tew, Sir Anthony's son. Francis died in 1728 and his son John inherited. John died the following year and his widow kept the picture. She then married again, within the family, John Nicoll the son of Winifred Nicoll (nee Keck), Sir Anthony's eighth daughter. Their daughter, Margaret (1734-68), married James Brydges(1731-89), Marquess of Carnarvon and 3rd Duke of Chandos. So, the picture, like the widow, migrated within the extensive family by inheritance and this would explain how it acquired its name. The portrait was presented to the National Portrait Gallery in 1856, the year of the founding of the gallery.

Further reading:
Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
Pedigree Roll of Anthony Keck of Blunsden (Wiltshire), c1770, Glamorgan Record Office, CL/Ped 16
Pedigree of Keck of Long Marston, co. Glouc. & Great Tew, co. Oxon. (1857)
The Inner Temple Admissions Database Records of the Middle Temple
Howard Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1660-1840, Yale, 1995
PCC Wills: Anthony Keck of the Inner Temple, 9 January 1714, Prob11/539 Anthony Keck, Gent of Bloomsbury, 29 November 1736, Prob11/680 Anthony Keck, Sergeant at Law of Cheshunt, Hertfordshire, 4 Mar 1786, Prob11/1140. Anthony Keck of Great Tew, 9 July 1767, Prob 11/930 Anthony Keck, architect, 10 February 1798, Prob11/1302

Source: The Twickenham Museum
Online URL:


Note    N88-1642         Back to Index        Back to Charles Chute, Abigail Worster Chute, Emma Fleet Chute and Margaret G. Sederquist Chute.

Notes on Charles Chute, Abigail Worster Chute, Emma Fleet Chute and Margaret G. Sederquist Chute:

"Born April 19, 1811; married Abigail, daughter of George Worster, Feb. 7, 1838, and lived in Lower Granville, a singing teacher. Mrs. Chute died May 12, 1869, aged fifty-two; he married 2nd, Emma Fleet (William, James), widow of Richard Mott Marshall (William, Anthony), 1872; she died 1874, aged about fifty-four; he married 3rd, Margaret G., daughter of John Sederquist Jr., and widow of Captain William Mussells, Dec. 7, 1876, and died Aug. 14, 1881. The 3rd widow is the eldest of nineteen children, two mothers; Rev. George W. Sederquist, born 1838, is her half-brother."

Source: Chute, William Edward. A Genealogy and History of the Chute Family in America: With Some Account of the Family in Great Britain and Ireland, with an Account of Forty Allied Families Gathered from the Most Authentic Sources. Salem, Massachusetts, 1894. Page 102.

By the 1881 Census, he and Margaret (Sederquist) Chute were living in Broad Cove, Annapolis County. His occupation at this time was "Boat Builder" and both listed their religious affiliation as "Adventist". Her half-brother, wrote a book, Life and Labors of G. W. Sederquist, still available from the Adventist Christian Church.

To purchase the book:


Note    N88-1643         Back to Index        Back to Daniel Jamous and Margaret Ellen Chute Jamous.
Notes on Daniel Jamous and Margaret Ellen Chute Jamous:

WEDDINGS;Margaret Chute and Daniel Jamous
Published: New York Times, March 17, 1996

"Margaret Ellen Chute, a daughter of Jane and Mortimer Chute Jr. of Garden City, L.I., was married yesterday to Daniel Jamous, a son of Kari and Haroun Jamous of Draveil, France. Jane Chittick, a justice of the peace, performed the ceremony at the French Library and Cultural Center in Boston.

Ms. Chute, 32, is keeping her name. She is a program officer at World Education Inc. in Boston. She graduated from Dartmouth College and received a master's degree in education from Harvard University. The bride's father is the senior vice president of development at the Memorial-Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York.

Mr. Jamous, 31, was until recently a researcher in oceanography for the Centre Nationale de la Recherche Scientifique in Paris, where his father is a senior researcher in sociology. The bridegroom graduated from the University of Paris, where he also received a doctorate in oceanography. His mother is a psychologist for the Centre Medico-Psycho-Pedagogique in Draveil."


Note    N88-1644         Back to Index        Back to Herman Apel and Caroline Chute Apel.
Notes on Herman Apel and Caroline ("Carrie") Chute Apel:

"Herman Apel ranks high among the successful business men and substantial citizens of Ebensburg. He was born in Carroll Township, Cambria County, June 29, 1864, and is the son of Justus and Catherine (Raemer) Apel.

Justus Apel was born in Hesse Cartassel, Germany, Jan. 7, 1832, and died Sept. 21, 1917. When a mere boy he learned the tanning trade and his reputation for making leather of a superior quality found for him a ready market for all the product he could produce. He emigrated to this country in 1854 and settled in Ebensburg. After two years he purchased what was known as the Half Way House between Ebensburg and Carrolltown, where he operated a tannery. In 1882 he bought what is now known as the Miller farm, situated near the site of the old tannery. He was equally successful in this undertaking and when he left the farm on account of the death of his wife, he had one of the best equipped farms in this community, having erected splendid and commodious buildings thereon. His wife died in July, 1892, and with her husband is buried in Lloyd's Cemetery, Ebensburg. To Mr. and Mrs. Justus Apel the following children were born: Ernest, deceased; Albert, lives at Ebensburg; John, a retired merchant, lives at Murraysville, Pa.; Sophia, deceased; and Herman, the subject of this sketch.

Herman Apel spent his boyhood in Carroll Township and attended the district schools of Carron and Cambria townships. After completing a course at Ebensburg Normal School he engaged in teaching in the district schools of Cambria County. He later farmed and in 1891 became interested in the coal and drayage business at Ebensburg. Mr. Apel is widely known as a wholesale and retail dealer in bituminous coal, sand, lime and brick.

In 1887 Mr. Apel was united in marriage with Miss Carrie Chute, of Ebensburg, Pa., the daughter of D. M. and Mary Elizabeth (Atkins) Chute. Mr. Chute is deceased and his widow resides with the Apel family in Ebensburg. Six children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Apel, as follows:

Florence Harriet, born Nov. 23, 1888; Merrill Raemer, born Aug. 29, 1890; Ernest Chute, born Jan. 1, 1893; Mary Lillian, born July 23, 1895; Herman Justus, born Oct. 14, 1899; and Edward Eugene, born Nov. 25, 1907.

In politics Mr. Apel is identified with the Republican party. He has served as a member of the City Council for 28 years and as president for eight years. He holds membership in the Congregational Church and is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

Source: History of Cambria County, Pennsylvania, John E. Gable. Two volumes. Historical Publishing Company, Topeka and Indianapolis, 1926. pages 1000-1001.


Note    N88-1645         Back to Index        Back to Frederick Elmer Chute and Geneva Hill Chute.
Notes on Frederick Elmer Chute and Geneva Hill Chute:

Frederick Elmer Chute is the Chute who has no doubt generated the most number (4) of inconsistent official death records and locations: Portland, Scarboro, South Berwick and Biddeford, and even the Maine and Federal authorities are at odds with each other. At this point, the only thing I'm sure of is that he probably died somewhere in the State of Maine.


Note    N88-1646         Back to Index        Back to Harry Samuel Chute, Sr. and Edith Drowns Chute.
Notes on Harry Samuel Chute, Sr. and Edith Drowns Chute:


Harry Samuel Chute: Electrician, Lyman Selectman
SANFORD - Harry Samuel Chute, 91, died Nov. 12 at Goodall Hospital.
Born in Saco, a son of Harry C. and Ellen Young Chute, Mr. Chute lived in Biddeford and Lyman before moving to Sanford 10 years ago. He was a former member of the Saco Fire Department and a selectman of Lyman. He had been an electrician for York County Electric in Biddeford and retired from American Cyanamid Co. in Sanford.

Mr. Chute enjoyed sports, including Red Sox baseball. His longtime friend was Beverly Libby of Gorham. A son, Harry Jr., died in 1969. Surviving is a daughter, Jean Chute Nash of Pawtucket, R.I., four grandchildren, 10 great-grandchildren and one great-great-granddaughter. At his request, there will be no funeral services.


Note    N88-1647         Back to Index        Back to Roger William Chute, Mary Mentus Chute and Verna Berdge Chute.
Notes on Roger William Chute, Mary Mentus Chute and and Verna Berdge Chute:

Letter from Roger William Chute to George Maynard Chute, Jr.

524 Geo. Waterman Rd.
Johnston, R.I.
September 28, 1966

Dear Mr. Chute,

We are very happy to give you the information you require about our family. We would be very interested in having a copy of the records which you are compiling to place in the Hamilton, Mass. library, along with the records which they have there.

Our son Larry was in the Navy Air Force and was stationed in Iceland for two deployments. From there he went to London, England, and visited the College of Arms, and looked up all he could about our family, the coat of arms, etc. He says the family home is still in existance. He did not see it, but there was a picture of it in the library. He is very interested in ancestry and would enjoy talking with you if it could be arranged.

He works for a management consulting firm and his work takes him all over the eastern half of the country. At present he is in St. Louis, and expects to be in Indianapolis soon. If he does get to Michigan, he would like to look you up.

Do you have a picture of the Coat of Arms? If so, could we arrange thru you to purchase a copy of it, either a photograph or a drawing. I saw it in a book my Uncle had a few years ago. I don't know where it is now.

It was very nice hearing from you, and knowing the family name is being brought up to date. I hope we can keep in touch with each other once in a while. Thank you for your interest in us, and good luck with what you are doing.

Roger W. Chute

[Annotation, written by George M. Chute, Jr: "Answered Oct 5, 1966. Sent copy of Coat of Arms."]

Verna C. Wladkowski, Obituary
Member of several RV organizations

Verna Chute Wladkowski, 84, of Manchester, died April 26, 2004, at the Hospice House in Concord after a long illness. She was born in Beverly, Mass., on March 14, 1920, the daughter of Leon and Blanche (Lamkin) Berdge. She had lived in Rhode Island from 1940 to 1973, and had resided in this area since then. She worked as a secretary for eight years for the state of New Hampshire Nursing Department. Mrs. Wladkowski was a member of the Chichester Garden Club, the Family Motor Coach Assoc., the Granite Staters RV Club, and the Green Mountain RV Club. She also was a member of the Graniteville Baptist Church and the Greenville Grange. She was involved in sewing and knitting clubs. She enjoyed square dancing and traveling. She visited every state, except Hawaii.

She was predeceased by a son, Larry R. Chute. Family members include her husband, Edward Wladkowski of Chichester; one son, Rev. Bruce Maxwell Chute of Danville, Ky.; one daughter, Judith Louise Spitz of Merrimack; five grandchildren; five great-grandchildren; two sisters, Natalie Gadbois of Beverly, Mass., and Mrs. George (Ethel) King of Salem, Mass.; and nieces, nephews and cousins.

There are no calling hours. A memorial service will be held Saturday, May 8, at 11 a.m., in Perkins Funeral Home, Memorial Gallery & Monument Co., Inc., 60 Main St., Pittsfield. Burial will be held at the family's convenience at North Beverly Cemetery, Beverly, Mass. Memorial donations may be made to the CRVNA Hospice Program, 250 Pleasant St., Concord, NH 03301.

Source: Verna Chute Wladkowski obituary - The Milford Cabinet(May/16/2004)


Note    N88-1648         Back to Index        Back to Barton Lee ("Bart") Kilgallin and Karen Marie Chute Kilgallin.
Notes on Barton Lee ("Bart") Kilgallin and Karen Marie Chute Kilgallin:

Son Kyle graduated from United States Air Force Basic Military Training (BMT) at Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, USA, and in 2006 received notification of his assignment to Turkey in early 2007. He had attended Olympia Highshool in Windermere, Orange County, Florida and West Orange College before enlisting.

Source: Chute Family Data Worksheet, 13 NOV 2006, Karen Marie Chute Kilgallin


Note    N88-1649         Back to Index        Back to Challoner St. Clair Chute and Jeanne Negar ("Jan") Bolles Chute.
Notes on Challoner St. Clair Chute and Jeanne Negar ("Jan") Bolles Chute:

The following includes mention of Jeanne Bolles Chute's father Randolph. She is cited as a reference.

Henry B. Yates

The family of my grandfather Edward and my great uncle William Maxwell has Scottish origins. "The ancient and honourable house of Maxwell, so conspicuously connected with the history of Scotland, and considered one of the most distinguished ... is generally believed to have been founded by Maccus, son of Undwyn, in the twelfth century." (1) In 1824, a Presbyterian marriage took place in Jedburgh, Scotland, between Edward Maxwell (1805-1876) Agnes Reid. Edward, a joiner and carpenter, emigrated to Montreal with his wife in 1829. (2) They lived on Saint-Gabriel Street near the waterfront. Several children were born to the couple, and one of them, Edward John, became a builder. In 1862 this son founded E.J. Maxwell & Co., lumber dealers specializing in hardwood and black walnut. "The yard was located on Craig Street (today's St. Antoine St.), a little to the east of Victoria Square and Beaver Hall Hill". (3) This business prospered for three generations, remaining in the family until it was sold in the early 1970s.

After his marriage to Johan MacBean, Edward John lived in a large house with a garden on C�te-Saint-Antoine Road, which at that time was in the country. Two daughters were born and then two sons, Edward (1867-1923) and William (1874-1952) (cat. 2c). The sons were exposed to the basics of building and fine lumber; their father even made violins. Clearly this home environment influenced the decision of both young men to become architects. >P>

Edward and William studied at the High School of Montreal, played sports and enjoyed a happy home. Their parents emphasized the importance of family life, diligent work and integrity. After returning from his employment in Boston in 1891, Edward lived with his parents on C�te-Saint-Antoine Road until his marriage five years later. According to family lore, when he was recovering from an illness, he spied an attractive young lady through a crack in his bedroom door. She was his third Cousin Elizabeth Ellen Aitchison, of Scottish origin, from Madrid, New York. In 1896 they were married. Edward then built a small house attached to that of his parents; several years later a house he designed on Peel Street became their home. Edward and Elizabeth had four children between 1900 and 1908: Blythe, Jean, Stirling and Elizabeth (cat. 2e).

Just before William was to write his final-year exams at the High School of Montreal, he became ill and decided not to write them, Following this, William chose to join an architectural firm in Boston. There his talent for drawing was recognized, and he was assigned detailed architectural drawings, especially cornices. His daughter, Mary Maxwell Rabbani, has remarked: "I am sure that he must have bettered the design because he had such a marvellous sense of proportion." (4) At the turn of the century William studied along with American and British students at the Atelier Pascal in Paris. Mary Rabbani recalled two humorous episodes that occurred there. New students were subjected to hazing, which sometimes resulted in being stripped and entirely covered with watercolour paint. William was not spared. The second was a prank involving William and a few other students who lived in a house where the Parisian landlady owned a baby tortoise. Every week or so the students would acquire a larger tortoise and replace the incumbent. The landlady was amazed at the rapid growth and enthusiastically reported it to all her friends.

While in Paris William met Randolph Bolles, an American architectural student also studying at the Atelier Pascal. William and Randolph became devoted friends, and in 1902 William married Randolph's sister May in London. (5) That same year William became a partner in the architectural firm of Edward & W. S. Maxwell in Montreal. The brothers' varied talents combined to make an excellent team. Edward was not only a fine architect but also had a keen business sense. He developed contacts with and entertained the many influential people he knew in business and government. William, the other hand, had a remarkable ability for fine drawing and design. According to his daughter Mary, he was "fundamentally ... a scholar and a creator and very much of a recluse. He wasn't interested in social life, but he had a passion for everything to do with art and architecture. He had a knowledge that was literally encyclopedic."

In 1899 Edward was summoned to Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, by Sir William Van Horne, president of the Canadian Pacific Railway, to help with the building of his summer house on Minister's Island. At Sir William's suggestion, Edward purchased a choice piece of land nearby, on the sea, and built a modest summer house, "Tillietudlem" (fig. 1), the name perhaps inspired by Tillietudlem Castle in the Walter Scott novel Old Mortality.

In 1908 Edward bought one hundred and sixty acres (65 ha) of farmland in Baie-d'Urf� on Montreal Island. Here he built "Maxwelton", a large fieldstone house (fig. 2), and developed a choice herd of Jersey cattle.

Edward and William knew many leading artists in Montreal, and studio space above their office on Beaver Hall Hill was occupied by artists such as the three Des Clayes sisters, Laura Muntz and G. Horne Russell. (6) An important employee in the office for many decades was Amelia M. Parent, who performed many duties as administrative assistant. Although she was a frail lady, her great ability and sense of loyalty "kept the firm together". (7) William's daughter recalls that the Maxwell firm was the largest and most prominent in Canada before World War 1, and she believes that at its height it employed as many as fifty-six draftsmen. However after the war, with the death of Edward in 1923, the firm never regained its former prominence.

Both Edward and William were elected to the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts. William also served as president of the Arts Club in Montreal and belonged to the Pen and Pencil Club of Montreal. (8) Every Friday he would go to the Arts Club with his friends, mostly architects and artists, and spend "the whole evening in a big cloud of blue smoke. There he talked of the subjects that interested him, played poker and billiards." (9) Many leading figures in the art and academic world frequented these clubs, including artists William Brymner, Maurice Cullen, Clarence A. Gagnon, Robert Harris and Robert W. Pilot, and humourist Stephen Leacock. (10)

Over the years William avidly collected books on art and architecture as well as antiques. On one occasion, soon after his marriage, he was taking a streetcar home from work and spotted an auction of carpets. He leapt off the trolley, spent the $ 100 and more he and his wife had for the next month's living expenses, and happily arrived home with a roll of carpets under each arm. (11)

Edward developed cancer and died in 1923, whereupon William formed a partnership with Gordon Pitts of Montreal. In 1940 William's wife died, and the next year he moved to Haifa, Israel, to live with his daughter Mary, who had married Shoghi Fffendi Rabbani, head of the World Bah�'� Faith. It was here that William designed his most unique building, the Shrine of the B�b, located in extensive gardens on the slopes of Mount Carmel. In poor health, William returned to Canada in 1952 and soon died in the city of his birth.


(1) Florence Wilson Houston, Laura Cowan Blaine and Ella Dunn Mellette, Maxwell History and Genealogy (Indianapolis: C.E. Pauley, 1916), p. 1.

(2) Maxwell family papers, private collection, Montreal.

(3) "Montreal Then and Now", The Gazette (Montreal), October 24, 1987, p. K- 11

(4) Mary Maxwell Rabbani, interview by France Gagnon Pratte and Rosalind M . Pepall, Haifa, April 1, 1989.

(5) Randolph Bolles worked for Edward & W.S. Maxwell from 1912 to 1926 and then retired to Washington, Connecticut, a small town near New Haven (Jan Bolles Chute [daughter of Randolph], interview by the author, Haifa, March 28, 1989).

(6) Mary Maxwell Rabbani files, Haifa.

(7) Rabbani interview, April 1, 1989.

(8) Canadian Newspaper Service, National Reference Book on Canadian Men and Women, 5th edition (Montreal: H. Harrison, 1936), pp. 510-511.

(9) Rabbani interview, April 1, 1989.

(10) Leo Cox, "Fifty Years of Brush and Pen: A Historical Sketch of the Pen and Pencil Club of Montreal" (unpublished manuscript, 1939), pp. 8-10.

(11) Rabbani interview, April 1, 1989.



Note    N88-1650         Back to Index        Back to Captain Joseph Noble Chute and Rose Virginia Ladnier Chute.
Notes on Captain Joseph Noble Chute and Rose Virginia Ladnier Chute:

Obituary, Rose Virginia Ladnier Chute

"Mrs. Rose Virginia Ladnier Chute Wife Of The Late Capt. Joseph N. Chute Native Of Jackson County, Mississippi A Resident Of Mobile, Alabama For The Past 40 Years Died At A Local Hospital Friday Afternoon March 29, 1957 At 12:40 o'clock. She Is Survived By Three Daughters, Miss. Elva V. Chute, Miss. Alexandrie Chute, And Miss. Alice Chute All Of Mobile, Alabama, Two Sons, George H. Chute Of St. Louis, Missouri And Raymond M. Chute Of Poplar Bluff, Missouri And Other Relatives. Funeral Services Will Be Held From The Chapel Of The Higgins Mortuary Monday April 1, 1957 At An Hour To Be Announced. Interment Will Be In The Magnolia Cemetery. Funeral Arrangements By Higgins Mortuary, Inc. Mobile, Alabama."

The Mobile Register, March 30, 1957

Below are two reports involving Captain Chute: the first is his report of the founding of the schooner Uruguay, and the second is the report of his murder aboard his own ship. Information on the founding of the Uruguay courtesy of Ellen Miller and the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic.

"The ship Uruguay, a four masted schooner, was built in 1889 at Windsor NS, by Shubael Dimock. She was 170 feet long, 36.8 feet breadth and had a depth of 17.4 feet. She was 726 tons net. The ship went down on Oct. 24, 1891 at 4:30pm. Halifax Herald, Oct. 30, 1891.

Which Was Seen to Flounder by Captain Chute, of the Bear River Schooner Seraphine

Disaster to Shipping Reported at St. Pierre. (Special Dispatch to the Halifax Herald) Windsor, October 30. - On Wednesday the Herald published a dispatch from Boston stating that Captain Chute, of the Bear River schooner Seraphine, at that port, had reported having seen a four-masted schooner flounder. The unfortunate vessel is believed to be the Windsor schooner Uruguay, 736 tons, commanded by Captain William Parsons and owned by Dimock & Co. She sailed from this port about ten days ago with a cargo of plaster for New York, and carried Edward Glosson as a passenger. Captain Chute's story of the disaster was as follows:

The Seraphine was in company with the ill fated vessel all day, Saturday. She made no attempt to signal and we took no notice of her name. During all this time it was blowing a violent gale from the northwest and a fearful sea was running. About 4:30 o'clock when 35 miles south from Matinicus, Me., a passenger called the attention of the man at the wheel to distress signals displayed in the vessel's masthead. Without delay all possible speed was made towards the doomed vessel, but before the Seraphine had gone any great distance the schooner took a sudden lurch to starboard and gradually disappeared, going down bow first. On reaching the point where the vessel was seen to flounder, no sign of her was visible, nor was there any wreckage of any description seen in the vicinity. Captain Chute thought she was about 800 tons register, painted black, and had bright mastheads. This corresponds with the Uruguay.

The ill-fated vessel carried a crew of nine men, including James Morris and Elias Cochrane, mates, R. Henry, cook; and Archibald Hunter, Herbert Crowe, and four foreigners.

Following is a poem that was written and printed in an unknown NS newspaper:

On stern New England's rock bound coast
the Storm King in his play
came rushing forth upon the blast
one wild October day
He hurled the fierce waves on and on
like wolves upon their prey
They leaped with foam upon their lips
one wild October day.
They snarled and snapped, they romped and roared
formed up in large array
they leaped against the frowning rocks
one wild October day.
And from the "Uruguay's" black sides
recoiled in foam away
and wolf like snarled at their repulse
one wild October day.
But still the gallant ship rode well
beneath the hovering sky
and still the Storm King laughed in scorn
one wild October day.
The day grows wilder, fiercer yet
her sails are blown away
and still the fierce wolves leap and roar
one wild October day.
William Parsons was the Captain's name
a brave and pious man
but it's afeared he met a watery grave
beneath the shifting sands
God help the captain and the crew
erstwhile so blithe and gay
the widows and orphans made
one wild October day.

Captain Joseph Chute 1922 Mobile, Texas
Posted by: Ann Coldwell
Date: March 21, 2002 at 06:40:02

Captain Joseph Chute, son of David and Alice Chute of Harbourville, NS, was murdered aboard the schooner "Lewis Brothers" in the Straits of Florida in 1922. His family lived in Mobile, Ala. A Halifax newspaper," The Morning Chronicle" reported "Captain Chute is survived by his widow, four sons: Roland L. of Mobile, George H. and Raymond M. of St. Louis, Moko L. M. Chute of Houston, Texas: three daughters, Elv, Alexandria and Alice, of Mobile. I am a gggrandaughter of his sister, Anna Lovena, m. Obed Coldwell of Gaspereau/ Wolfvile, NS, Canada. I would be happy to hear of/from any descendants of Joseph.

Ann Coldwell, Wolfville, NS.

Previous Page
Next Page