Thomas Miller, managing editor of the Moose Jaw Times, enjoys the
distinction of being the oldest newspaper man in Saskatchewan as regards
the length of his experience in this province, and he has been connected
with the Times for thirty years continuously. His career is inseparably
linked with the development of this city, where he has long exerted an
influence on the molding of public opinion and thought of the community.
Moose Jaw is proud, therefore, to claim Thomas Miller as one of her
Thomas Miller was born near Grand Valley, Ontario, on July 21, 1876,
the son of James and Ann (Collins) Miller, both natives of Ireland, their
birthplace being in County Armagh, near Belfast. They came to Canada
with their family in 1872, settling near Grand Valley, Ontario. In 1881
the father entered the employ of the Canadian Pacific Railway, making
his way to Winnipeg via St. Paul. In connection with his work in the
construction department of this transcontinental line he came out to Re-
gina in 1882 and was a section foreman there for twenty-seven years.
He and his wife were loyal members of the Presbyterian church, while
he was a Mason, an Orangeman and a supporter of the Conservative
party in politics. Mrs. Miller died in 1913, in Moose Jaw, whither they
retired to make their home in their latter years. Two years later the
father passed away.
Thomas Miller, the tenth of their thirteen children, was a small boy
when the family moved to Regina, so it was in that city that he obtained
all of his education. After completing the courses of the public and high
schools he became an apprentice on the Regina Standard in 1892, there
learning the printing trade in the course of the ensuing two years. The
Standard was owned by J. K. Mclnnis and Walter Scott at that time.
When Mr. Scott purchased the Moose Jaw Times in June, 1894, he took
the young printer with him to the new paper and made him foreman.
Mr. Miller has lived in Moose Jaw almost continuously since-a period of
thirty years. In 1896, however, shortly after Mr. Scott disposed of the
Times, he returned to Regina to become foreman on the Leader of that
city, which Mr. Scott had purchased in August, 1895, from the late Nich-
olas Flood Davine. When the ownership of the Moose Jaw Times re-
verted to Mr. Scott in July, 1896, Mr. Miller came back to this city, this
time as managing editor of the Times. He has held this responsible posi-
tion ever since, and upon the formation of the Leader-Times Company,
Limited, in 1902, he became a shareholder in partnership with Mr. Scott,
the principal shareholder, and W. F. Kerr, the third interested party.
With the formation of this company he retained his post as managing
editor of the Times, while Mr. Kerr of Regina held the corresponding
position on the Regina Leader. Seven years later the company sold the
leader to the Leader Publishing Company of Regina, which was organized
by Mr. Kerr, but continued to publish the Times. The Times is owned
and controlled by The Times Company, Limited, whose officers are: Hon.
Walter Scott, president; J. W. MacLeod of Regina, vice president; and
Thomas Miller, secretary, treasurer and managing director. Through all
these changes of organization Mr. Miller has continued to direct the
publication of the Times as its managing editor and it is due largely to
his indefatigible energy, wise foresight and ability that the paper has
had a successful history. In January, 1911, the Times lost its plant
through a distastrous fire, but the ashes were scarcely cool before the
officials of the paper had plans on foot for a better and bigger plant and
office building. The Walter Scott office building, a six-story structure of
reinforced concrete, was erected to take the place of the old building,
while at the same time the newspaper and job printing end of the busi-
ness was cared for by the construction of a reinforced brick building,
with a floor area of forty by one hundred feet, three stories in height.
This was equipped with modern rotary presses and all the other mechan-
ical devices in use in up-to-date newspaper establishments. The Walter
Scott building was the first fireproof structure erected in Moose Jaw and
is a great credit to the business section of the town. The Times Com-
pany Limited, which is capitalized at one hundred thousand dollars, owns
a considerable amount of farm land in addition to its valuable city prop-
erty. Lest in the contemplation of this material prosperity the real pur-
pose of the paper is overlooked, it is well to consider what a force the
Times has been in the journalistic circles of the province. That its in-
fluence in Moose Jaw and the surrounding community has ever been a
strong one and directed in support of the best things in public and pri-
vate life is acknowledged by all. This strength as a factor in developing
the life and thought of the community was increased when the Evening
Times was founded in September, 1906. For a time the Morning Leader
of Regina, founded by The Leader-Times Company Limited, in 1905, ex-
tended its influence to that city, but with the sale of that paper to the
Leader Publishing Company, as noted above, the company withdrew from
the Regina field and has since confined its attention to Moose Jaw and
the district. The latest development is the establishment of the Times
Morning Herald, a full-service morning paper, which will meet the needs
of the rapidly developing rural towns and farm population in the Moose
Jaw trading territory, and, along with the Evening Times, takes a high
rank among the leading metropolitan papers of western Canada.
Mr. Miller was married on the 31st of March, 1897, to Miss Grace
MacGregor Keay, a native of Perthshire, Scotland, and they have three
children; James MacGregor, who is in his fifth year as a medical student
in Toronto University; Lillian Grace, who became a nurse in the To-
ronto Hospital for Sick Children after finishing the course in the Col-
legiate Institute; and Dorothy May, who in 1923 graduated from the
Moose Jaw Collegiate Institute, with first-class and senior matriculation
Mr. Miller has been on the session of St. Andrew's Presbyterian
church since 1900, is a Royal Arch Mason, having been treasurer of his
chapter for nine years, and also a member of the Canadian Order of
Foresters. For a number of years he sat on the council of the local
Board of Trade, of which he has also been the president, and he is an
enthusiastic Rotarian. A Liberal in politics, he has always taken an active
interest in promoting the welfare of that party. He served as a member
of the school board for nine years and has been a member of the Board
of Governors of Moose Jaw College since it was founded in 1907. He
enjoys golf and is a member of the Moose Jaw Golf Club.
Visitor # [an error occurred while processing this directive]
Web Master: Sask Gen Webmaster,
for Sask Gen Web Project
Re-published ©: Wednesday, 27-Jan-2021 17:25:36 MST
We encourage links to this page.
These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format
for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons.
Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must
obtain the written consent of the contributor, or the legal
representative of the submitter, and contact the listed Web
master with proof of this consent.