Malcolm Bull's Calderdale Companion : Schools & Sunday Schools : L

Schools & Sunday Schools



Ladyroyd School, Walshaw
Hebden Bridge. Aka Walshaw National School and Wadsworth Walshaw Non-Provided School. One of the first schools in the district, it was established around 1870.

In the 1940s, it was the smallest school in the country with 2 pupils and one teacher – Miss Margaret Greenwood, and its single classroom was in a former farmhouse. It closed in 1948.

Pupils at the school have included

Lancaster school
Aka British School

Lancastrian School, Shelf
Opened in 18??.

Closed in 1???

Lanebottom British School, Walsden

Lanebottom School, Walsden
It accommodated 138 adults [1917]

Lanebottom Sunday School, Walsden
The Sunday School for Lanebottom Wesleyan Methodist Church, Walsden.

When the new building opened in 1818, the trustees included Abraham Scholfield, James Scholfield and his son John the younger

Laneside School, Sowerby
Around 1850, John Mitchell kept a school at his home, at the top of Brocks, where it joins Sowerby Lane (above Luddendenfoot).

It started as an evening school and specialised in elementary subjects.

In 18??, he began to take day scholars.

He also taught half-timers from

His wife and daughter also taught at the school, and his wife continued the school after John's death.

Levi Haigh wrote a poem about the school, which by his time, was in ruins

Larkhill Academy
19th century school at Church Lane, Brighouse. Formerly known as Prospect Place Academy. May be named for nearby Larkhill Terrace, Brighouse.

In the 1870s, the Academy was run by Mr Nelson and Mr Young.

In 1877, a pupil won an exhibition to Owen's College, Manchester.

Leach Colour Works were later built on the site.

See Miles Sharp

Law Hill School, Southowram
A school for young ladies opened in the bottom floor of the former warehouse at Law Hill House in 1825 by Misses Patchett after they had moved from their earlier Patchett's Academy, Soyland

Law's Seminary, Sowerby Bridge
In 1861, Mrs Charlotte Law ran a seminary at Wharf Street, Sowerby Bridge

Lee's Day School
Established by Abraham Lee in 1851 and held at New Road, Brighouse

Lee Mount Board School
A board school opened in 1881.

Designed by J. F. Walsh.

Masters & teachers at the School have included

  • Thomas Parkinson [1881]
  • Miss Sarah E. Collins (infants) [1881]

The average attendance was 461 [1881], and 413 [1882].

It accommodated around 850 pupils [1894].

It accommodated 314 boys, 304 girls and 306 infants [1911].

It accommodated 314 boys, 304 girls and 284 infants [1917].

It accommodated 191 seniors and 384 juniors [1936].

See Evening Classes

Lee Mount Evening Continuation School
Recorded in 1905

Lee Mount Junior & Infant School

Lee Mount Primary School
On 29th November 1904, fire caused an estimated £1,500 damage and partially destroyed the school.

See Evening Classes

Lemon Street School, Halifax
Recorded in 1929, when Queens Road Health Centre was held there

Lewthwaite's: Joseph Lewthwaite & Son
A classical & commercial school established Joseph Lewthwaite.

It was at Woolshops [1822] and 5 Carlton Place, Halifax [1834]

In 1850, Joseph Lewthwaite & Son was listed at 5 Woolshops as

  • Jeweller, Silver Smith & Watch Maker – also at The Square
  • Pawn Broker

Leyland's Academy, Halifax
19th century private school run by William Leyland in a building in Church Street, Halifax, near the Parish Church.

When the buildings were demolished, the school moved to 27 Wade Street, Halifax.

In 1822, it was listed as Leyland & Son.

Francis Alexander Leyland and his brother, Joseph, were educated at the school. Francis ran the school for a time

Leyland's School, Halifax
Delia Leyland ran a private school at 4 Kent Street, Halifax [1838]

Lightcliffe British School
Bramley Lane. Built in 1868. It succeeded Mount Zion Voluntary School, Hipperholme. It closed in 1879

Lightcliffe Church of England (VA) Primary School
Originally the National School.

This was the gift of Evan Charles Sutherland-Walker.

There is a datestone: ECSW 1866 for Sutherland-Walker. It was built – on land called 5 days' work – at a cost of £5,000.

It was Sutherland-Walker's intention that it be a non-denominational school.

It lay empty for a time before opening in January 1869.

It opened in 1869 as two schools – one for boys, one for girls – and remained like this until the 2 amalgamated in 1906.

The school is still in use.

See John Brooke and The Story of a School

Lightcliffe High School
The High School. A popular name for Hipperholme & Lightcliffe Liberal Club

Lightcliffe Ladies' High School
A girls' finishing school organised by Sir Titus Salt. Around 1905, it occupied Bleak House, Lightcliffe. Miss Spencer was headmistress [1904]

Lightcliffe National School
A national school later known as Lightcliffe Church of England Junior School

Lightcliffe Preparatory School
Wakefield Road. The building was originally Hipperholme & Lightcliffe Liberal Club.

In 1955, Archibald Lionel Watkins, a mathematics teacher from Somerset, bought the school for £2,000. He ran the school with his wife, Maude. It accommodated 160 pupils.

In 1959, the school was taken over by his son, Philip. He ran the school with his wife, Joan.

In 1979, the school was taken over by their daughter, Jackie.

In 2009, the name was changed to Hipperholme Grammar Junior School

Lightcliffe United Reformed Church Sunday School
The Sunday School for Lightcliffe United Reformed Church opened on 9th September 1893

Lindwell Day School, Greetland
The school was established around 1840 and met in Lindwell Primitive Methodist Chapel, Greetland.

Each Saturday evening the school desks were moved into a nearby barn so that services could be held in the Chapel. The scholars replaced the desks on Monday morning

Ling Bob Junior, Infant & Nursery School
Pellon. The school opened in June 1954

Linsey's Ladies' School, Brighouse
A school is recorded in Commercial Street, Brighouse [1837]

Little Britain School, Ripponden
It has been said that there was a school at Hanging Lee Mill, Ripponden, run by Thomas Lees and his wife, Rachel.

See Black Field House, Soyland

Lockwood's School, Salterhebble
Around 1838, John Lockwood ran a private school at Salterhebble

Longfield Academy, Halifax
19th century private school run by Thomas Benjamin Greenwood and his wife Mary at Longfield House, Parkinson Lane.

Scholars here have included

Longroyd Board School, Rastrick
A board school opened in November 1883. It accommodated 318 boys & girls and 160 infants [1917]

See Longroyd House, Rastrick

Longroyde Evening Cookery School, Rastrick
Recorded in 1897

Lower Edge Elementary School, Elland
Built in 1869 and enlarged in 1895 for 276 pupils. Recorded in 1917

Lower Edge National School, Elland
A national school founded in 1850.

See Elland National School

Lower Edge School, Elland
Closed in March 1954

Luddenden Church of England Primary School
High Street. Aka Luddenden School / St Mary's Old School, Luddenden. The school was built by public subscription in 1825.

It was extended 1856. It was restored and extended in 1928.

It closed in 1993.

The Luddenden lockups were a part of the building.

See Luddenden School Pierrot Troupe

Luddenden Dene Church of England (VC) J, I & N School
Kershaw Estate, Luddendenfoot

Luddenden Junior School
Aka The Old School.

At the junction of High Street / New Road.

It is now a private house

Luddenden National School
A national school recorded 1858-1859.

It was rebuilt and opened on 8th December 1928

Luddenden Non-Provided Schools
Recorded in 1905

Luddenden Wesleyan Sunday School
Foundation stone laid on 5th September 1863

Luddendenfoot Board School
The board school was built in 1894. Prior to that, education was provided at Luddendenfoot Congregational Church.

It accommodated 293 children [1895]

Luddendenfoot C of E School
Morley Hall Lane.

It has been converted into private housing

Luddendenfoot Congregational School
The lower part of Luddendenfoot Congregational Church [1859] was built for use as a school for half-timers who worked in the Whitworth's mills.

Around 1860, Luddendenfoot Congregational Savings Bank was established at the School

Luddendenfoot Evening School
Recorded in 1905

Luddendenfoot Junior & Infant School
Burnley Road

Luddendenfoot National School

Luddendenfoot Sunday School
A Sunday School was run at Luddendenfoot Wesleyan Methodist Church for
the poorly-clad and poorly-fed of the community

It was John Whitworth's plan to build a new School at the Methodist Chapel, but he died before money could be raised for the project. In 1879, his brother William gave £153 10/6d towards the School.

See Boy Mill, Luddendenfoot

Lumbutts Board School
Established in 1878

Lumbutts Factory School

See James Travis Whittaker

Lumbutts National School
A national school. Built in 1880. It accommodated 298 children [1917]

Lumbutts School
Church of England school built in 1877. Financed by John Fielden

Lumley's: Mr Lumley's Boarding School for Ladies, York
School attended by Anne Lister and where she met Eliza Raine, Isabella Norcliffe, Elizabeth Patchett, Elizabeth Wadsworth, and Caroline Walker.

When teachers found Anne and Eliza passing love-letters, Anne was expelled and returned to Halifax.

Some sources call the school Manor House School

Lundy's Academy


© Malcolm Bull 2017 / [email protected]
Revised 18:11 on 28th November 2017 / s70_l / 34