Malcolm Bull's Calderdale Companion : Q




Quainton, Rev Cecil Samuel
[1867-1938] BA.

Born in Lewknor, Oxfordshire.

He was Vicar of Christ Church, Pellon [from 13th June 1900-1909].

On 24th August 1905, he was Captain of a cricket team of local clergymen which took on a team from the Halifax Borough Police in a match at the grounds of the Halifax Cricket & Football Club. The result: Clergymen 205 for 4 wickets; Police all out for 69

In 1911, he was a Clergyman in the established church living at the Vicarage, Holmfirth.

In 1896, he married Minnie Collins [1866-19??] from Moreton Thornbury, Gloucestershire, at Keysham.


  1. Cecil Eden [b 1900]
  2. Eric Hugh [b 1902]

He died in Uxbridge

Quaker House, Sowerby Bridge


Quakers in Brighouse & Rastrick
There were many Quakers in Brighouse and Rastrick, notably members of the Clay, Cooper, Firth, and Fryer families, and also Thomas Dearnally, Richard Hanson, and John King.

Trustees of the Quakers here included

See Friends Meeting House, Rastrick, Newlands Meeting House, Rastrick and Snake Hill Meeting House, Rastrick

Quarlers, Northowram

Quarmby, Albert Erwin
[1896-1917] Son of Joseph & Annie Quarmby of Nunroyd, Heckmondwike.

During World War I, he served as a Private with the 21st Field Ambulance Royal Army Medical Corps.

He died 8th October 1917 (aged 21).

He was buried at Larch Wood (Railway Cutting) Cemetery [III C 8].

He is remembered on Bailiff Bridge War Memorial

Quarmby & Mills
In 1876, they established business as monumental masons at Stoney Royd Cemetery. In 1892, William Riley took over the business

Quarmby Brothers
Cotton spinners and doublers at Holywell Mills, Holywell Green [1905]. Partners included Joseph Quarmby

Quarmby, Charles Alfred
[1854-19??] Born in Holmfirth.

In 1884, he married Emma Haigh.


  1. Jonathan Irvin [b 1885]
  2. Arthur Haigh [b 1887]

In 1891, he bought the business of Henry Smith. By 1901, he was a painter, paper-hanger, general decorator, gilder, glass and sign writer with showrooms at Briggate, Brighouse. He had workshops and stores at Bull Fold.

He had contracts for redecorating several local churches and chapels, and with the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Company, and other railway companies, for decorating the local railway stations.

In 1906, the family emigrated to the USA on board the Carmania. In 1910, they were living at Lansing, Michigan

Quarmby Hall
Hugh de Quarmby of the Hall at Quarmby features in the Elland Feud

Quarmby, Hugh de
[1???-1341] Of Quarmby, Huddersfield.

See Elland Feud

Quarmby, John
[18??-19??] He was Chairman of the Stainland Local Board in 1891 when he cut the first sod of Cold Acre Reservoir, Stainland. He was presented with a silver spade to make the cut and a polished oak wheelbarrow to take it away

Quarmby, Joseph
[18??-19??] Partner in Quarmby Brothers

Quarmby, Lewis
[1893-1918] Son of Ada & Sam Quarmby, a power loom tuner, of 13 Myddleton Road, Ilkley.

He worked for Firth's Carpets at Flush Mills, Heckmondwike.

During World War I, he served as a Private with the 2nd/4th Battalion Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment).

He died 28th July 1918 (aged 25).

He was buried at the Marfaux British Cemetery [III B 7].

He is remembered on Firth's War Memorial, and on Bailiff Bridge War Memorial

Quarmby, R.
[18??-19??] He was landlord of the Ship Inn, Brighouse [13th June 1914]

Quarrel House, Northowram

Quarries & quarrying

Quarry Cottages, Walsden
A row of 5 cottages built by Robert Stevenson and his son John, between 1831 and 1835.

They stand on the canal bank at Upper Warland Lock, a few feet over the boundary in the township of Blatchinworth & Calderbrook (Littleborough).

See Warland Quarry

Quarry Hill, Sowerby
In 16??, Joshua Horton built a meeting house here. Eli Bentley, William Dawson, Oliver Heywood, and Timothy Root preached there

Quarry House, Elland
Church Lane, Lower Edge. Early 18th century house. A datestone is said to record 1710 IIB

It is now 2 dwellings.

Quarry House, Holywell Green
Owners and tenants have included

Quarry House, Northowram
Originally a farm-house.

It consisted of a barn and other outbuildings.

There was a coal mine in the valley below with a small house where coal was weighed and sold from the roadside next to the current mill property.

It has been known by various names at various times:

  • Quarlers [mentioned by Heywood]
  • Quarles
  • Quarrel House [1600s]
  • Wharlers [mentioned by Heywood]
  • Wharles
  • Wharllers [1447]

Owners and tenants have included

The old house was demolished and rebuilt 1853 only to be demolished in the 1970s.

A lodge house stood at the end of the drive that connected the property to the main Bradford road. This was demolished.

See William Bainbridge, Quarry House Colliery, Northowram and Quarry House School, Northowram

Quarry House, Ovenden
John Walsh and the Walsh family lived here from before 1881 until at least 1928

Queen Anne's Square, Brighouse

Queen at the Booth
The name given to Mrs Elizabeth Ramsden by poet John Collier

Queen's Court Apartments, Halifax
A part of Bull Green House

Queen Victoria Lodge, Todmorden
Masonic Lodge.

A Juvenile Lodge of the Todmorden District.

Queens Hall, King Cross
Queens Road / King Cross Street, just across from the Palladium Cinema.

Opened in 1890 as the King Cross Constitutional Club.

Queens of Dawson City
The popular name for Mrs Adams and Mrs Nolan who ran lodging houses at Dawson City.

In 19??, a competition was held to find which of them had the larger backside. The 2 women sat in a bath of flour and whoever displaced the most flour was the winner

Queens Road Co-Op, Halifax
Osborne Street. Branch number 18 of the Halifax Industrial Society opened in January 1870.

It had a boot and shoe department.

In 1937, there was a milk department here

Queens Road Economic Stores
Queens Road. A branch of Economic Stores (Halifax) Limited. Opened in 18??

Queens Road Health Centre, Halifax
Recorded in 1929 at Lemon Street School, Halifax

Queens Road Perseverance Building Society
Halifax. Recorded in 1882

Queens Road Post Office
Recorded in 1905 at 284 Queens Road, Halifax


Queensbury & Shelf Urban District Council
See Calder Registration District, Metropolitan Borough of Calderdale, Shelf UDC and Shelf

Queensbury Constitutional Club
Recorded in 1917, when Richard Burniston was secretary

Queensbury Cricket Club
Recorded around 1940

Queensbury Economic Stores
The second branch of Economic Stores (Halifax) Limited. Opened in 1923 [?]

Queensbury fountain
The 13th century-style drinking fountain by Black Dike Mills, a memorial to Prince Albert, was erected by John Foster and unveiled on 26th May 1863, the day that Queensbury changed its name

Queensbury Industrial Society
Recorded on 10th March 1905, when they held their jubilee celebrations

Queensbury Liberal Club
Recorded in 1917 at 20 Chapel Street, when Sam Wood was secretary

Queensbury Music Centre Band
Aka Queensbury Band. Formed in 1???. Disbanded in 1???

Queensbury Railway Station
Links to Holmfield Station via the Queensbury Tunnel.

The lines from Halifax and Bradford were opened in 1878/9, and from Keighley in 1884.

The Holmfield to Queensbury section of the line opened on 14th October 1880.

The lines were closed to passengers in 1955, and mostly taken up in 1966

Queensbury Tunnel
Built for the Great Northern Railway, to link Holmfield Station to Queensbury Station.

Work began on 21st May 1874. The tunnel was completed on 21st July 1878.

It was 2501 yards long. When it was built, it was the longest tunnel on the Great Northern Railway system, and one of the deepest in the country.

There were 5 ventilation shafts: the deepest was 379 ft.

Around 700 men were involved in the construction, and several of these were killed as a result of accidents on the site.

The Tunnel is in a parlous condition.

It is due to be lost to landfill [2012].

See Strines Cutting

Queensbury Working Men's Club
Recorded in 1917 at Small Page, Queensbury when William Moore was secretary

Quellyn Slate Quarry Company
Caernarfon, Wales. Recorded in 1864, when a large number of Halifax men were listed as directors and officers of the company, including

and the office was at 20 Cow Green, Halifax

Quest, Arthur Charles
[1858-1924] Son of Sophia (née Atkinson) [1834-1885] & Thomas Quest [1833-1892], innkeeper.

Born in Riby, Lincolnshire [19th April 1858].

He was Police Sergeant living in Barnsley [1881] / Police Inspector living in Pontefract [1891] / Inspector of West Riding Police [1896] / stationed at Sowerby Bridge [1896-1898] / Police Superintendent living in Barnsley [1901] / Police Deputy Chief Constable living in Wakefield [1911, 1916] / Acting Chief Constable [1918] / Police Deputy Chief Constable [1921] / awarded the King's Police Medal [1921].

On 13th June 1883, he married Jane Hannah Dales [1857-1935] in Bridlington.


  1. William [1884-1967]
  2. Jane Elizabeth [b 1885]
  3. Mary [b 1886]
  4. Arthur Charles [1888-1918]
  5. Thomas Percival [1890-1966]
  6. Harold

He died in Bridlington [30th September 1924]

Quest, Harold
[1894-1916] MC.

Son of Harold Quest.

Born in Pontefract.

During World War I, he served as a Captain with the York & Lancaster Regiment.

He died on the Somme [3rd November 1916].

He was buried at the Hebuterne Military Cemetery, France.

He was awarded the Military Cross

Quiby, H.
(Possibly) the pseudonym of Rev Hanley Pickersgill

Quick, Annie
[1886-1910] Born in North Wales, the daughter of a lead miner. Her parents died when she was young and she followed her elder sister into service in Yorkshire. In 1901, she and her sister were both working for a newspaper manager in Leeds.

Her sister died, and Annie moved to Oxenhope and then to the Halifax area [1907]. She went into service with Gerbacio Protacio Appleyard.

Towards the end of 1909, Annie met Joseph Pitchforth, and they fell in love.

She was pregnant and they were planning to marry. Joseph had lost his job and was having difficulty finding work.

In April 1910, the couple travelled to Barnsley where they committed suicide by swallowing poison.

She was buried at Stoney Royd Cemetery alongside Joseph

Quick, James
[1880-19??] Son of Mary [1840-1???] & Joseph Quick [1840-1???] of Southowram Bank [1881].

Born in Halifax.

He was a night watchman [1911].

In [Q2] 1901, he married Lillian Morley 1890-19?? in Halifax.

Lillian was born in Halifax


  1. Agnes [b 1902]
  2. Alfred [b 1904]
  3. Ethel [b 1911]
  4. Lewis

The family lived at 22 Malt Shovel Yard [1911]

Quick, Joseph
[1840-1???] Born in Tiverton, Devon.

He was a labourer at gas works [1881].

Around 1856, he married Mary [1840-1???].

Mary was born in Scotland


  1. Anne [b 1856] who was an unemployed [1881]
  2. Richard [b 1863]
  3. Isabella [b 1871]
  4. Jame [b 1880]

The family lived at Southowram Bank, Halifax [1881]

Quick, Lewis
[1916-1943] Son of James Quick.

Born in Halifax.

He was a member of Bethlehem Pentecostal Mission Church, Wheatley Road / a member of Salem Boys' Brigade / educated at Akroyd Place School / employed at Dean Clough Mills.

In [Q3] 1941, he married Elizabeth A. Brook in Halifax.

They lived at 22 St Thomas Street South, Halifax.

During World War II, he served as a Private with the 6th Battalion Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).

He died 24th April 1943 (aged 27).

He was buried at the Massicault War Cemetery, Tunisia [I H 6].

Quick, Richard
[1862-1900] Son of Joseph Quick.

Born in Aldershot.

He was a cotton spinner [1881] / a regular soldier with 7 years' service / a reservist.

He married Unknown.


  1. child
  2. child
  3. child

They lived at 27 Matlock Street, Lee Mount.

During the South African Wars, he was called-up [December 1899], and served as a Private with the 2nd Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment.

He died of pneumonia aboard SS Cymric on his way to South Africa [11th January 1900] (aged 38).

He is remembered on the Halifax Parish Church South African War Memorial, and on West View Park War Memorial

Quickstavers, Sowerby
Steep Lane. Aka Lower Quickstavers.

Samuel Wade lived here in 1593. His son, Richard, and Richard's son, Samuel subsequently owned the house.

From 1633, it was owned by ??.

For many years, until 1822, it was a pub called the Golden Fleece.

Owners and tenants have included

It is now 5 private dwellings.

See The Brigg family of Quickstavers and Upper Quickstavers, Sowerby

Quiggin, Rev George
[1844-1893] Son of Dorothy (née Clucas) [1814-1895] & Robert Quiggin [1812-1860], a clerk in a timber yard.

Born in Peel, Isle-of-Man [5th January 1844].

He was a watchmaker on the Isle of Man [1861] / a minister at Kirkoswald, Cumbria [1871] / a minister at Rotherham [1881-1884]

In 1891, he and Rev W. Calladine were Ministers at Salem Wesleyan Chapel, Hebden Bridge and Scout Road Wesleyan Chapel, Mytholmroyd

In 1872, he married Elizabeth Thompson [1851-1927] in East Ward, Westmorland.


  1. Edmund Crosby [1875-1920]
  2. Florence Thompson [1877-1968]
  3. Rhoda Frances [1883-1958]

The family lived at Woodleigh, Mytholmroyd [1893].

He died in Caistor, Lincolnshire [1893]

Quigley, Cecil
[1922-1940] Son of Mrs Quigley, a housekeeper at 18 Belvoir Gardens, Skircoat Green.

During World War I, he enlisted [1938], and served as an Ordinary Telegraphist with the Royal Navy aboard the aircraft carrier HMS Glorious,

He was lost [8th June 1940] (aged 18)  when his ship was shelled and sank in the Norwegian Sea with the loss of 1,207 of her crew of 1,247.

He is remembered on the Plymouth Naval Memorial [39 3], and on the Memorial at Halifax Town Hall Books of Remembrance

Quigley, Hugh
[1835-1884] He was a soldier [1884].

In [Q3] 1872, he married Agnes Mary Gray [1853-1943] in Halifax.


  1. Alice May [1884-1885]
  2. John Edward [1881-1885]

They lived at

  • 105 Queen's Terrace, Hanson Lane, Halifax [1884]
  • 36 Franklin Street, Halifax [1885]

He died 29th March 1884 (aged 49).

Members of the family were buried at Stoney Royd Cemetery

Quillby, John
[1800-1875] Of Bramley Lane, Lightcliffe.

He was buried at Mount Zion Chapel, Lightcliffe with his sister-in-law Ann Goldthorpe [1801-1878]

Quincey, Thomas de
[18??-18??] He kept a lodging house at Todmorden.

On 18th May 1857, a woman aged about 25 – referred to as Mrs Yates – came to lodge at his house. She gave birth to a little girl named Kate Smith. After a few days, Mrs de Quincey gave the child to a Mrs O'Brien of Shade who came and took the child away. Mrs Yates then left Todmorden. The child died on 22nd July. At the inquest, the jury returned a verdict of death by natural causes, and considered the conduct of the O'Briens objectionable, and that of Thomas de Quincey as reprehensible

Quinlan, Father Jerome
[18??-19??] Local Catholic priest. In 1894, he was assigned to oversee the building of Sacred Heart & St Bernard's Catholic Church, Halifax. In 1895, he encouraged the Sisters of the Cross & Passion to take up residence at Horley Green Convent

Quinn, Bartholomew
[1898-1917] Son of John Quinn.

During World War I, he served as a Gunner with "V" 66th Trench Mortar Battery Royal Field Artillery.

He died 14th April 1917 (aged 19).

He was buried at the Bethune Town Cemetery, France [VI D 14].

He is remembered on the Memorial at Saint Bernard's Catholic Church

Quinn, Eamonn
[19??-19??] He served in World War II.

He died in the conflict.

He is remembered on the Memorial at Saint Bernard's Catholic Church

Quinn, Father Edward
[19??-19??] Priest at St Alban's Catholic Church, Halifax

Quinn, John
[1830-1???] Born in Ireland.

He was a pensioner from the 34th regiment [1871] / a general factory hand at stuff works [1871].

He married Mary [1839-1???] from Colchester.


  1. Louisa [b 1864]
  2. Edward [b 1866]
  3. James [b 1868]

The family lived at 42 Green Terrace Square, Skircoat [1871]

Quinn, John
[1868-19??] Born in Halifax.

He was a cart driver (brick yard) [1901].

In [Q2] 1894, he married Catherine Killeen [1867-19??] in Halifax.

Catherine was born in Halifax


  1. Bartholomew
  2. Annie [b 1900]

The family lived at 2 Oates Court, Halifax [1901]

Quinn, John
[1868-1911] Born in Halifax.

He was a dyer's labourer [1891] / a dyer's labourer (cloth) [1901].

In 1889, he married Mary Lord in Halifax.

Mary was born in Soyland, the daughter of
Eli Lord


  1. Anorah [b 1890] who was a cotton twiner [1911]
  2. Clara Ellen [b 1891] who was a worsted spinner [1911]
  3. Thomas
  4. Winifreda [b 1900]
  5. Caroline Teresa [b 1902]
  6. Michael John [b 1906]
  7. Rose [b 1909]

The family lived at

  • 3 School Terrace, Ovenden [1891]
  • 19 Rake Bank, Halifax [1901]
  • 9 Holroyd Street, Halifax [1911]
  • 11 Back Albion Street, Halifax
  • 34 Holroyd Street, Halifax
  • 3 Tewitt Lane, Bradshaw

Quinn, Miss Mary
[1915-19??] On 9th December 1933, she set a new world women's non-stop skating record of 53 hours at the Victory Rink, Sowerby Bridge, breaking the previous record set by Mabel Hill. Arnold Binns presented her with a silver cup and a cheque

Quinn, Patrick Joseph
[1917-1944] Son of Hannah & Patrick Quinn of New Bank, Halifax.

He worked for James Robinson & Sons.

He lived at 62 Prospect Street, Range Bank, Halifax.

During World War II, he enlisted in the Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment)  [1940], and he served as a Private with the 1st Battalion Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).

He was killed in action in NW Europe [11th October 1944] (aged 27).

He was buried at the Mierlo War Cemetery, Nederlands [I C 10].

He is remembered on the Memorial at Halifax Town Hall Books of Remembrance, and on the Memorial at Saint Bernard's Catholic Church

Quinn, Thomas

Born in Calcutta, India..

In July 1899, he succeeded Emmanuel Dale as Brighouse postmaster. The Post Office in Park Street was then in operation.

He retired on 1st September 1910

In 1874, he married Jane Hempsall Bairstow [1846-1927] in Bradford.


  1. Reginald Guelph Douglas [1874-1947]
  2. Ethel Harriet Teresa [1877-1947]
  3. Percy Stowel Warburton [1880-1939]
  4. Mabel Maud Mitchell [1882-1935]
  5. Wilfred Amos Bairstow [1885-1963]
  6. Cyril Hubert [1888-1966]

He died in Blackpool [15th March 1925]

Quinn, Thomas
[1880-1916] He was a butcher [1911].

He was a career soldier.

In 1911, he was serving in India with the with the 59th Company Royal Garrison Artillery.

During World War I, he served as a Gunner with the 4th Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery.

He died of wounds [25th March 1916].

He was buried at the Ferme-Olivier Cemetery, Belgium. [2 C 2]

Quinn, Thomas
[1893-1915] Son of John Quinn.

Born in Wheatley.

He was a dyer's labourer [1911].

During World War I, he served as a Private with the 1st/4th Battalion Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment).

He died following a German gas attack [28th December 1915] (aged 22).

He died in the Red Cross Hospital, Paris-Plage, following a German gas attack [28th December 1915] (aged 22).

He was buried at the Le Touquet-Paris Plage Communal Cemetery, France [II A 37]

He is remembered on the Memorial at Halifax Town Hall Books of Remembrance, on the Memorial at Saint Bernard's Catholic Church, and on the Memorial at Saint Mary the Virgin, Illingworth

Quinsey, Thomas
[1863-1917] Born in Wexford, Ireland.

He was a baker & confectioner at 24 Woolshops, Halifax [1891, 1900] / a baker shopkeeper [1901] / a traveller chemical [1911]

A 1900 advertisement for the business announced

T. Quinsey
(Late Bennett) 
Baker & Confectioner
Milk Bread a Speciality

In 1888, he married Louisa Helen Chatterley Fisher, daughter of Frederick William Fisher, in Halifax.


  1. Frederick William [1889-1963] who probably emigrated to Canada
  2. Louisa [b 1891] who died in infancy before 1901
  3. Irene Mary Chatterley [1891-1970] who married Wilfrid H Wright

The family lived at

  • Woolshops, Halifax [1891]
  • 22 Woolshops, Halifax [1901]
  • 8 Church Street, Halifax [where Louisa was a boarding house keeper 1911]

Living with them in 1901 was brother Arnold Quinsey [aged 24] (bakery driver) 

Quirke, Rev J.
[19??-19??] Priest at St Mary's Catholic Church, Gibbet Street [1966]


© Malcolm Bull 2017 / [email protected]
Revised 15:35 on 18th December 2017 / q / 57