Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content. Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024 (More info)
Malcolm Bull's Calderdale Companion : Pubs & inns : A

Pubs & inns



Abbey, Luddenden
Abbey Lane, Newlands. Mentioned in 1851. Rebuilt in 1873 (?).

The pub closed in 1911 following the Licensing Act [1904]

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Adega, Halifax
Bull Green. Formerly the Crown & Anchor, Halifax.

Aka Scratcherd's because Scratcherd & Company used to occupy The Adega building there

Ainley Top

Airborne, Sowood
Green Lane. Built in 1969 by the Dyson family.

The name comes from the family's connections with the Parachute Regiment.

For a time, it was renamed Marston's [in ????].

It reverted to the Airborne [in ????]

Albert, Hebden Bridge
Albert Street

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Albion, Brighouse
Lane Head / Halifax Road. Built in 1853.

The Brighouse Rangers held their early meetings here.

It was a Ramsden pub.

In 2007, the building was converted into a Chinese restaurant and takeaway.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Albion Hotel, Claremount
1 Horley Green Road / 167 New Bank / New Bank Top. It stood opposite the Beacon Tavern.

Opened in 1861.

It was a Whitaker pub [1926].

The pub closed on 29th November 1961.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two.

See Ancient Order of Foresters and Halifax North End Cricket Club

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Albion Inn, Halifax
Crossley Terrace / Pellon Lane. This was originally a beer house. In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the Albion Inn applied for, and was granted, a music and dancing licence.

Question: Does anyone know how the 1868 reference reconciles with the alleged opening date of 1891?


Opened in 1891.

The pub closed in October 1969

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Albion, Norland
25 Scarr Head Road. The pub was successively owned by John Naylor, Victoria Brewery, Cote Hill, Halifax Brewing Company [May 1898], Windmill Hill Brewery, and Ramsden's.

The pub closed in 1950.

It is now a private house

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1914: Albert Haigh
  • 1919: Albert Haigh
  • 1919: Arthur William Dixon
  • 1920: Arthur William Dixon
  • 1920: Fred Normanton
  • 1924: Fred Normanton
  • 1924: Noah Taylor
  • 1926: Noah Taylor
  • 1926: James Causton
  • 1928: James Causton
  • 1928: William Henry Mellor
  • 1937: William Henry Mellor
  • 1937: Robert Branson Maiden
  • 1950: Robert Branson Maiden
  • 1881: Joseph Heap
  • 1891: James R. Berry
  • 1901: James R. Berry
  • 1905: James R. Berry
  • 1911: James R. Berry


Alexandra, Halifax
In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Acts, the Alexandra Inn applied for, and was granted, a music and dancing licence.

From the licensing report, it is not clear whether the Inn was in Halifax or whether it was the Alexandra, Ovenden

Alexandra, Ovenden
The pub closed in 1869

Allan Fold, Halifax
King Cross. The pub was designed by Jackson & Fox for Samuel Webster. It opened on 4th March (or 5th April) 1939 to replace the nearby Brown Cow, Burnley Road.

Part of the retaining wall comes from Allan Fold House which stood on the site. The wall is dated 1654 and IMAW, and is listed.

In 1983, it was renamed Second Best. It reverted to Allan Fold when it was bought by John Smith's Tadcaster brewery in 1986.

In 2011, it was known as the Hills View Hotel.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs

Alma, Cottonstones
Four Lane Ends.

Opened in 18??.

Bought by Samuel Webster for £800 on 20th May 1931. Sold to James F. White on 31st March 1971

Named for Alma of the Crimean War

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Alma, Halifax
St James's Road. It was sold by auction in 1868

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1868: James Wrigley


Anchor & Shuttle, Luddendenfoot
Stood near the canal. Aka the Anchor, the Shuttle & Anchor.

A group of friends, including Branwell Brontë, met here and at other local pubs.

In May 1886, it was replaced by the Victoria Hotel which was constructed on the same site

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Anchor, Brighouse
62 Briggate [1911]. Built around 1758 [?] at Anchor Bridge for the boatmen on the newly-constructed Calder & Hebble canal.

In 1821, this, the Black Bull, the Black Swan and the Wellington were the only pubs in Brighouse.

The inn was rebuilt in 1859. The original Inn is the cellar of the present pub.

At the Brewster sessions in 1903, the police objected to renewal of the licences of this pub, the Black Swan, Brighouse and the White Swan, Brighouse, on account of the publican

habitually employing professional female musicians

The licence was renewed on the understanding that no female vocalists be employed and that no female pianist under the age of 21 be taken on.

The inn was again rebuilt and incorporated into the new Brighouse Assembly Rooms which opened in 1906.

In 1933, the pub was bought by Websters from Shibden Head Brewery.

The name was changed to The Bridge in 2000

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Anchor, Luddendenfoot
Aka the Anchor & Shuttle

Anchor, Mill Bank

The pub once claimed to have the largest inn sign in Britain, a large anchor which came from a boat in Whitby.

Now called the Millbank Inn.

This is discussed in the book Halifax Pubs Volume Two

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Anchor Pit, Rastrick
46 Anchor Place, Rastrick. Stood at Anchor Pit.

Opened in 1866. It provided stables and facilities for the boatmen on the Calder & Hebble canal and the Calder.

Closed on 31st December 1937

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1867: Mrs Sykes
  • 1882: John Kilburn
  • 1901: John Newton
  • 1901: George Crowther
  • 1905: Ann Crowther
  • 19??: A. Bennet
  • 19??: A. Beevers


Anchor, Sowerby Bridge
/ Triangle.

It was a Stocks pub [1898]

Anchor, Todmorden
Another name for the Rope & Anchor, Roomfield Lane

Anderson's Temperance Hotel, Halifax
Recorded in 1922, when it was at Horton Street

See Horton Street Temperance Hotels

Angel, Halifax
7 Lee Bridge. Opened in 1823 [?].

The sign from the Angel, Halifax was bought and used here.

Owned by Websters by 1874.

The pub closed in January 1967

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Angel, Halifax
2 Corn Market.

In 1738, the house known as Broadstones became a pub called the Angel.

John Metcalfe stayed here in 1747.

In 1793, after William Walker bought the property, closed the inn and began to redevelop the site, the inn sign was (possibly)  sold to the Angel at Lee Bridge.

In 1789, the Harmony Masonic Lodge was established here. In 1794, they moved to the Bacchus, Halifax

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:

  • 1708: Thomas Noble [?]
  • 1718: John Noble [?]
  • 1735: Anne Whittell
  • 1740: Mrs Mary Speight
  • 1790: William Walker – who closed the inn and redeveloped the site


Angel, Halifax
Parkinson Lane

Angel, Heptonstall

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Apollo's, Halifax

Armada, Halifax
122 Hanson Lane. The Castle Hotel was known as the Armada [1980s].

It changed its name to the Buccaneer

Armytage Arms, Clifton
Towngate / Clifton Common. The Clifton Common Toll Bar was nearby.

This is discussed in the books Down the Acres and Halifax Pubs.

See Clifton Bowling Green

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Ash Tree, Sowerby Bridge
Wharf Street. Formerly the Wharf.

An ash tree still stands in front of the building.

It became the Java ethnic restaurant [19??] and the Village Asian and Indonesian restaurant [2010]

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Ash Tree, Warley

Innkeepers, licensees and landlords:


Ashgrove Inn, Brighouse
/ Southowram.

Recorded on 21st April 1853 when the body of Thomas Holgate was taken here


© Malcolm Bull 2017 / [email protected]
Revised 10:48 on 10th October 2017 / p200_a / 45