Malcolm Bull's Calderdale Companion : Foldout

SideTrack : Heptonstall ...

Entries beginning Heptonstall ... and The Heptonstall ... are gathered together in this Sidetrack.

Village in north-west Calderdale, in a good defensive position above the later Hebden Bridge.

See Parish statistics

Heptonstall Band Room
Main Street. Recorded in 1905

Heptonstall, Battle of
During the Civil War, Heptonstall was held by the Parliamentarians under Colonel Bradshaw. On 1st November 1643, they successfully defended the township against an attack by Mackworth and the Royalists.

During skirmishes at Heptonstall, the Royalists took no account of a raging storm and many were swept away. Others were killed by boulders rolled down on them by the Parliamentarians. Part of the town was burned to the ground by the Royalists as a reprisal.

See Samuel Priestley

Heptonstall Book Society
Literary and lecture organisation founded in 1769 by John Fawcett and Dan Taylor

Heptonstall Brass Band
Recorded on 14th February 1891, when they had a social evening at White Horse Hotel, Heptonstall.

Members and Officers of the Band have included

Heptonstall British Restaurant
British restaurant opened in 1941. This was one of the first local British restaurants to open

Heptonstall Cattle Fair
An annual cattle fair which was held on Easter Tuesday.

Recorded in 1861

Heptonstall: Churches & Chapels

Heptonstall constables
The Foldout lists some of the people who have served as Police Officers in Heptonstall

Heptonstall Co-operative Society
Established in 1860 by a group who rented premises in Church Street. At first, they bought goods from the Hebden Bridge Co-operative Society.

A new store was built in 1866.

In 1909, the Society acquired the Stag, Heptonstall and converted it back into cottages.

In 19??, they amalgamated with the Hebden Bridge Co-operative Society

Heptonstall Drum & Fife Band
Recorded in 1854, when they played at a gala at Heyhead, Todmorden

Heptonstall Eaves
Aka Eaves

Heptonstall Female Friendly Society
A friendly society recorded in 1810.

See Heptonstall New Female Friendly Society

Heptonstall Glee Club
Church choir group. Members of the group are said to have written On Ilkley moor baht 'at whilst on a walking excursion to Ilkley Moor in 1886

Heptonstall Handbell Ringers

Heptonstall lockup
The arched cellar of what is now Stag Cottage, Heptonstall, was used as a lockup or dungeon in the 19th century. The original heavy oak dungeon door is still in place

Heptonstall Male Union Benevolent Society
Recorded in 1831

Heptonstall, Manor of
Mentioned in Domesday Book as being held by Gamel and Ilbert de Lacy.

Heptonstall Manor was obtained (created) in 1534 and formally dissolved around 1769.

Lords of the Manor have included Sir Henry Savile, Charles Greenwood, and the Earl of Scarbrough.

Lord George Halifax Lumley-Savile auctioned off the title of Lord of the Manor in the 1990s

Heptonstall Mechanics' Institute
Church Street. Founded into 1868.

Recorded in 1874, when S. Fielding was Secretary

Heptonstall: Mills

Heptonstall Moor

See Clegg Foot, Heptonstall Moor, Raistrick Greave, Heptonstall, Red Carr Clough, Heptonstall Moor, Rough Hey Farm, Heptonstall Moor and Whinberry Stones, Heptonstall Moor

Heptonstall Museum
Originally Heptonstall Grammar School, the building was given to the Council in 1954, and is now a museum with exhibits of local interest, including

Heptonstall New Female Friendly Society
A friendly society recorded in 1848.

See Heptonstall Female Friendly Society

Heptonstall New Friendly Society
A friendly society recorded in 1805.

See Heptonstall Female Friendly Society

Heptonstall Old Friendly & Mechanical Society
A friendly society recorded in 1776.

See Heptonstall New Friendly Society

Heptonstall Overseers of the Poor
The Foldout lists some of the people who have served as Overseer of the Poor for Heptonstall

Heptonstall parish
The parish comprised the 5 townships of Heptonstall, Erringden, Langfield, Stansfield, and Wadsworth

Heptonstall Parish Church
Saint Thomas à Becket, Heptonstall was Heptonstall Parish Church until it was abandoned after storm damage in 1847.

The new St Thomas the Apostle, Heptonstall was built in 1850-1854

Heptonstall Parish Council
The Parish council has 9 seats

Heptonstall, Parish of
See Heptonstall Parochial Chapelry and St James the Great Church, Hebden Bridge

Heptonstall Park
Another name for Erringden Park

Heptonstall Parochial Chapelry
This referred to the 5 townships of Erringden, Heptonstall, Langfield, Stansfield, and Wadsworth within the Chapelry of Heptonstall Parish Church.

See John Brigg, Elland Parochial Chapelry, Halifax Parochial Chapelry, Parish of Heptonstall and Poor Law Union

Heptonstall pinfold
The village pinfold is now a recreation area

Heptonstall Players
Established in 1913 by Rev Percival Gough, Vicar of Heptonstall. Many of the members were worked in the local fustian industry. They performed a range from farce to Shakespeare

Heptonstall Police Station

Question: Does anyone know if there was a Police Station here? Can anyone tell me anything about it?


Heptonstall Post Office
The first Post Office opened in 1849 at Ivy Cottage, the home of Thomas Uttley, the first Postmaster.

Business was restricted to the sale of stamps. There were no deliveries at that time

Postmasters at Heptonstall have included

Heptonstall Prosecution Society
Aka Heptonstall Society for Prosecuting Felons. Prosecution society recorded in October 1855 when an advertisement in the Hebden Bridge Chronicle & General Advertiser announced


WHEREAS on Saturday night 29th ult, or early the following morning, some daring villain or villains unlawfully entered Mr. James Cockroft's Orchard at Hawksclough and STOLE therefrom upwards of Fifteen Stones Weight of APPLES and PEARS, besides breaking and seriously damaging several of the fruit trees therein.

NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that whoever will give information leading to a conviction shall receive Two Pounds Ten Shillings from the above named Mr. Cockroft and the like sum of Two Pounds Ten Shillings from the Treasurer of the Heptonstall Society for the Prosecution of Felons.

By Order of J. P. & W. Sutcliffe, Law Agents to the said Society, Hebden Bridge. 3rd October 1855

Heptonstall: Pubs & Inns

Heptonstall Red Star AFC
Recorded in 1914

Heptonstall Royal Union Society
Recorded in 1805

Heptonstall Rural District Council
See Boston Hill, Wadsworth

Heptonstall: Schools

Heptonstall Service Reservoir
Smithwell Lane

Heptonstall Slack
Called Slack locally, this is a district just to the north-west of Heptonstall. It stands 970 ft above sea-level.

There was a serious outbreak of typhus here in the winter of 1843-1844.

Ted Hughes lived here for a time.

The Mount Zion Baptist Church stands here next to a house also known as Heptonstall Slack. See Draper Corner, Hebden Bridge, Dr Robert Howard and Reading & Mental Improvement Society

Heptonstall Slack Chapel
In 1711, Thomas Greenwood converted a barn for use as a Baptist Church. This became Stone Slack Particular Baptist Church, Heptonstall

By 1806, this had fallen into disuse and Mount Zion Baptist Church, Heptonstall Slack was built

Heptonstall Slack Mechanics' Institute
Opened on 1st September 1863

Heptonstall stocks
The town stocks stood near the Stocks Inn.

In September 1875, the stocks were moved to the top of Northwell Lane when the owner of

adjacent property wished to make certain improvements

One of the posts still remains. The east face is inscribed


There is a copper tablet engraved


Heptonstall Surveyor of the Highways
All residents had to keep the highways – which were near to them – clear of stones.

During the late 18th century, detailed records were kept of all households, so that the Surveyor might see who was liable.

Those who held the post of Surveyor of the Highways for Heptonstall included:

Heptonstall, Vicars of

Heptonstall village pump
There were several pumps in Heptonstall, including

Heptonstall Well
A large stone trough.

See James Holt

Heptonstall Workhouse
Heptonstall workhouse was established at Everhill Shaw, Heptonstall / Workhouse Green Farm, Heptonstall in 1749. It could accommodate 15 inmates. The workhouse was discontinued around 1780

Heptonstall Working Men's Club
They used the former Black Bull, Heptonstall until 1972

© Malcolm Bull 2017 / [email protected]
Revised 20:38 on 1st October 2017 / mmh4053 / 23