Rishworth Independent Church, is also known as Independent Union Chapel, Park Nook Chapel, Parrack Nook Chapel, Parrock Nook Chapel, and Rishworth Congregational Church.
In November 1816, Isaac Norcliffe, John Whiteley and Jonathan Bottomley, who had all been members of Sowerby Independent Chapel, decided to establish a chapel at Parrack Nook.
The first services began on 13th May 1824, and were held in an upper room which was rented – at £3 per year – at a house at Parrack Nook.
In 1818, John Wadsworth and Joseph Norcliffe started a Sunday School. They taught the children in a room next to that used for services.
The Congregational society was formed in 1832.
In July 1832, Rev James Pridie laid the foundation stone for a new Church. Much of the work of building the Church was done by the members.
A lintel in inscribed
INDEPENDENT UNION CHAPEL 1832
The 19th century panelled gallery, organ, box pews, and panelled pulpit still remain. The Church opened on Easter Sunday 1833. The first service was attended by Rev James Pridie, Rev Robert Bell and Rev James Hatten.
In 1836, pews were installed.
In 1850, John Crossley paid off half of the Church's £120 debt, on condition that the congregation could pay the rest.
In 1858, the gallery was installed at a cost of £156. It accommodated
There was only one Minister at the Church:
At other times, the services were conducted by visiting preachers, laymen and ministers, including
Like Union Croft Chapel, Ambler Thorn and Zion Congregational Church, Ripponden, the chapel chose to remain independent after the Congregationalists and the Presbyterians merged to form the United Reformed Church in 1972
See Rev George Hunsworth, John Hunsworth, William Hunsworth, Harry Maslen, Parrack Nook, Rishworth Independent Church Memorials, Rishworth Independent Church: MIs, Rishworth Independent Church: Graveyard, Rishworth Baptist Church, The Story of Parrack Nook and Mr Worthing
Malcolm Bull 2017 /
Revised 15:41 on 2nd October 2017 / kk_31 / 8