Malcolm Bull's Calderdale Companion : Foldout

The Halifax Joint Stock Banking Company


Halifax Joint Stock Banking Company

The Halifax Joint Stock Banking Company was founded by a meeting at the White Lion, Halifax on 31st August 1829. It opened for business in November 1829.

There were 178 partners, and shares were restricted to people living in the Halifax parish, and with no individual holding more than 50 shares. All shareholders were required to keep their accounts with the bank.

The first chairman was William Rothwell, and the first Manager was John Caw.

This was the 3rd joint stock bank in Yorkshire, and the 12th in the country.

In 1836, the bank merged with Rawson's Bank.

The partners in 1853 are shown partners

On 27th January 1864, a piece of silver plate – each valued at £200 – was presented to each of the following 5 directors of the Company in acknowledgement of their services on the board. The recipients were John Abbott, William Edleston, Joshua Appleyard, John Haigh, and George Whiteley.

It became a limited liability company in 1880.

In 1881, the bank acquired the Midland Banking Company of Huddersfield.

In 1898, the bank merged with the Halifax & Huddersfield Union Bank.

In 1910, it merged with the Halifax & Huddersfield Union Banking Company to become the West Yorkshire Bank Limited with a capital of £1 million.

Question: Can anyone clarify the mergers of 1890 and 1910?


On 17th June 1911, the name was changed to West Yorkshire Bank


Partners in 1853

The following list of partners in the Halifax Joint Stock Banking Company was published in The Leeds Mercury of 19th February 1853

See John Abbott, Joshua Appleyard, George Beaumont, Beckwith's, John Caw, Herbert Fielden, John Fisher, William Haigh, John Holdsworth, Joint Stock Bank Court, Halifax, John Edward Longbottom, Michael Stocks, John Henry Swallow and The Commercial Bank of England

search tips advanced search
search engine by freefind

© Malcolm Bull 2017 / [email protected]
Revised 14:54 on 14th May 2017 / kk_202 / 18