Malcolm Bull's Calderdale Companion : Churches & Chapels : W

Churches & Chapels



Wade House Primitive Methodist Chapel, Shelf
Built in 1822 on land belonging to Moses Bottomley. It accommodated 150 worshippers [1845].

The Sunday School opened in 1901.

The Chapel closed in the 1970s. It is now a community centre.

The family had a disagreement with the Chapel and moved to Bethel Methodist Chapel, Shelf.

See Wade House Primitive Methodist Chapel, Shelf War Memorial and Wade House Primitive Methodist Chapel, Shelf Graveyard Shelf United Methodist Church

Wade House Primitive Methodist Chapel, Shelf: Graveyard
The graveyard of Wade House Primitive Methodist Chapel, Shelf

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #3

Wadsworth, Parish of
See Wadsworth Parish Council and White Horse, Hebden Bridge

Wainsgate Baptist Church, Hebden Bridge
Boston Hill, Wadsworth Moor, above Old Town.

See Rev William Crabtree, Dove Chapel, John Sutcliff, Wainsgate Baptist Church, Hebden Bridge Memorial and Wainsgate Baptist Church, Hebden Bridge Graveyard

Wainsgate Baptist Church, Hebden Bridge: Graveyard
The graveyard of Wainsgate Baptist Church, Hebden Bridge.

See Fawcett tomb, Wainsgate

Wainstalls Wesleyan Reformed Chapel

Wainstalls Wesleyan Reformers Church
See Mount Pleasant Wesleyan Reform Chapel, Wainstalls and Wesleyan Reformers

Wall Nook Primitive Methodist Chapel, Greetland
/ Barkisland. The Chapel stands on the main road between Ripponden and Greetland.

Built in 1881.

On maps from 1963, it is shown as a Methodist Chapel.

Closed in 19??

The Chapel is now a private house

The name and other details on several datestones round the building have been deliberately obliterated.

See Wall Nook Primitive Methodist Chapel Memorial

Walsden Parish Church

Walsden, Parish of
In 1910, the Parish of Walsden was within the Lancashire Diocese of Manchester

Walsden Parsonage
The Vicarage for Walsden Church. The foundation stone was laid by John Crossley on 22nd August 1857

Walsden Wesleyan Chapel
Opened 13th February 1868. In 19??, the congregation merged with that of Trinity United Methodist Free Church, Walsden

Ministers at the Church have included


See Walsden Wesleyan Memorial

Waring Green Congregational Church
The Church and Sunday School were built in 1878 to extend the catchment area of Bridge End Congregational Church into Brighouse.

The original Church in Marion Street became the Sunday School in 1902 when a new the larger Church was built.

1702 square yards of land were bought for £406 and the building cost £1,400. The memorial stones were laid by Rev Angus Galbraith and Henry Sugden.

The roof used a new form of glazing and roofing which had been patented by T. W. Helliwell.

It did not have a minister until 1888.

Incumbents and Curates at the Church have included


In 1904, it became independent of Bridge End Congregational Church.

It closed in the 1940s.

It was converted into the Community Centre after World War II

Waring Green United Reformed Church

Warley Clough Primitive Methodist Chapel, Sowerby
Opened in 18??. Recorded in September 1896, when a harvest service was held.

It re-opened on 4th November 1905, after being closed for re-pewing and other alterations. Rev J. Marcus Brown presented Mrs Dilworth with a gold key on behalf of the Trustees.

Ministers at the Chapel have included


See Henry H. Howard and Warley Clough Chapel Memorial

Warley Congregational Church
In 1672, following the Declaration of Indulgence, Oliver Heywood obtained a licence to use the home of John Butterworth at Warley Edge as a Nonconformist preaching house.

This was one of the first authorised places of worship in Halifax outside the established church.

The society later moved to Sowerby.

Rev Matthew Smith preached alternately here and at his Moor End Congregational Church. Rev Nathaniel Priestley and others assisted him.

In 1705, Rev Matthew Smith was instrumental in establishing the first independent meeting house chapel in Warley.

Relatives of Archbishop Tillotson worshipped here.

It was rebuilt in 1805. Rev Thomas Hawkins was instrumental in building the Chapel, and travelled to many of the large towns in England, seeking contributions. He raised £187 of a total contribution of £438 13/3d. The cost of rebuilding was £454 17/11d.

A schoolroom was added [1818].

It accommodated 350 worshippers [1845].

In 1814, Mrs Elizabeth Worsley left a legacy of £500 towards a new Church. Other benefactors included the local Rideal, Milnes and Smith families.

A new Tudor-Gothic style Congregational Church was built at a cost of £1,270. The new Church opened in June 1846.

Rev Thomas M. Newnes gave land for a new schoolroom which opened in 1856.

On 31st July 1926, the organ was opened and dedicated.

In 1955, the 250th edition of Wilfred Pickles's Have a Go was broadcast from here.

Warley Maypole stood in front of the Church.

A list of some of the Ministers of Warley is given in a separate Foldout

The Church closed in 1975. It was converted into private dwellings – Chantry House.

This is discussed in the book Our Home & Country.

See Dr Benjamin Boothroyd, Thomas Edmondson, David Rideal, Warley Congregational Church Graveyard and Warley Congregational Manse

Warley Congregational Church: Graveyard
The burial ground of Warley Congregational Church

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #4

Warley Congregational Manse
Edgeholme Lane.

The Parsonage for Warley Congregational Church was built for Rev Thomas Hawkins around 1840.

The building cost £660.

Subscribers included Titus Rideal and his sister, Mrs Elizabeth Worsley who gave £500 for the building.

See Parsonage Cottage, Warley

Warley Town Cemetery
Paradise Lane. Established in 1818.

See Warley Cemetery Lodge, Warley Cemetery Board and Warley Community Association

Waterloo Hall Church of God, Halifax
Established in Waterloo Hall, Savile Park Road.

A non-sectarian church recorded in 1917

Watkinson Chapel, Lightcliffe
The Watkinson Chapel in St Matthew's Church, Lightcliffe commemorates the Watkinson family.

It is now known as St Aidan's Room

Weaver's Square Methodist Church, Heptonstall
In the 1830s, disputes within the local Methodist community led to a split. This resulted in one group holding their meetings at rooms in Commercial Street, and another holding theirs at Weaver's Square. These 2 subsequently joined together and established Cross Lanes United Methodist Chapel, Hebden Bridge which was halfway between the two

Wellington Road Baptist Church, Todmorden
General Baptist Church. The church here was formed on 9th November 1845 by a group from Shore Baptist Church, Todmorden. They held their first meetings at Todmorden Mechanics' Institute and then at Sobriety Hall.

The foundation stone was laid by Abraham Midgley on 29th May 1858. It opened in 1859.

In October 1868, a new organ was installed.

The Church was demolished in 1952

Pastors at the Church have included


Wesley Centre, Pellon
Stretchgate Lane. Built 1862

Wesley's Chapel, Halifax
This stood in Wesley Court just west of Halifax Town Hall at the corner of Broad Street and Waterhouse Street.

It was built for the Wesleyan Methodists to ease the South Parade Chapel. The cost was £4,000. It was the 2nd Methodist chapel to be built in Halifax.

Details of the organ in the Chapel can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register.

The first sermon was preached on 6th November 1829.

On 17th April 1861, William Rushworth, tailor from Mytholmroyd, was married to Miss Eliza Thomas, of Sowerby, by the Rev G. Mather. This being the first marriage at this chapel, a handsome Bible was presented to the newly-married couple.

Subsequent Ministers at the Church have included


It closed in 1949.

It was demolished in 1968. It is now a car park for Town Hall staff.

The small street which separates the site from the Town Hall is still known as Wesley Court.

There was a Roll of Honour remembering those who served/fell in World War I.

Wesleyan Chapel, Todmorden
Union Street. Built in 1827.

It accommodated 800 worshippers [1845].

Ministers at the Chapel have included


Wesleyan Chapel, Triangle
On 6th September 1924, a new chapel and school was opened.

See Triangle Wesleyan Methodist Church

Wesleyan Methodist Association Chapel, Todmorden
Recorded in 1839, when James Stansfield was Superintendent Registrar.

Recorded in 1861 at the Oddfellows' Hall, Todmorden

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Todmorden
York Street. Built in 1827. It closed in 19??. It was demolished in 19??

Wesleyan Reform Chapel, Greetland
On 15th August 1864, the foundation stone for a new Chapel was laid by Mr J. Mallinson of Huddersfield.

The new Chapel accommodated 300 workshippers.

A Sunday school room was also to be a part of the Chapel.

See Wesleyan Reform Church, Elland

Wesleyan Reform Church, Elland
At the junction of Coronation Street and Southgate [next to The Rex]. Built in 1855.

The Christadelphian Meeting Room, Elland was here [1894, 1905].

Closed in 19??.

The building has been converted into shops and retail premises.

It is currently known as the Central Hall.

See Wesleyan Reform Chapel, Greetland

Wesleyan Reform Preaching Room, Skircoat Green
On 10th January 1864, the chapel-keeper was badly burned and the school room – which was beneath Skircoat Green Wesleyan Church – was damaged when a boiler exploded

West End Congregational Church, Sowerby Bridge
West Street.

The Church was built on land bought from William Edleston. The cost of the construction was £2,500. The foundation stone was laid on 19th June 1839 by Rev John Ely. The church opened on 10th June 1840. It accommodated around 550 worshippers.

Ministers at the Church have included


In September 1909, Andrew Carnegie gave £200 towards a new organ for the church.

The building was used by Sowerby Bridge YMCA and Sowerby Bridge Golden Age Club.

The church closed in 1957.

West End Congregational Sunday School stands next door.

The Church was demolished in 19??. A garage was built on the site.

In February 2006, there were plans to convert the garage site into a 28 apartments and car park, and to convert the Sunday School into 23 apartments and a restaurant. The plans would require the reburial or cremation of the remains of those buried in the graveyard.

See Andrew Carnegie and West End Congregational Mutual Improvement Society

West End Methodist Chapel, Halifax
Spring Hall Lane. Opened in 18??,

Details of the organ in the Chapel can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register.

In the 1960s, there were a Sunday School, the 11th Halifax Scout Troop, and a youth club at the Chapel.

The Chapel was demolished in the 1970s.

Houses were built on the site

West End Methodist Chapel, Queensbury
A group of Methodists, known as the Blackmires Chapel, worshipped at Blackmires, West End in 1800.

The Chapel was built on land belonging to Swamp Farm, Northowram, was known as Swamp Chapel. It opened in 1887/1888.

The Chapel closed after the final worship on 7th July 2013.

See Blackmires Wesleyan Methodist Church, Northowram

West End Wesleyan Mission Church, Halifax
Begun in 1912. Memorial stones were laid on 13th July 1912

West Vale Baptist Chapel
Rochdale Road.

Stands next to West Vale Public Hall.

In 1863, Jonathan Horsfall and a group of Birchcliffe Baptists joined the Chapel at North Parade, on condition that a cause should be established at West Vale. On 16th August 1863, they leased a warehouse in Maude Street, West Vale.

They set up a schoolroom here in 1868.

On 10th April 1868, John Horsfall (cotton spinner) performed the ceremony of cutting the first sod for a new Chapel. Master Dempster, son of Robert Dempster, wheeled away the sod.

On 23rd May 1868, Edward Crossley laid the corner stone for the Chapel and Schools.

In July 1869, the new Chapel was opened as a branch of North Parade Baptist Chapel, Halifax. The Chapel and schoolroom cost £2,400.

The Chapel accommodated 150 persons. There were 2 vestries, schoolrooms and a minister's house beneath.

It 1871, it became independent of North Parade, and was licensed for the solemnisation of marriages.

Pastors at the Church have included


In 1905, a new institute for youth work opened in Maude Street.

There was [presumably] an organ in the 19th century [1852].

In 1909, an organ was installed by Rushworth & Dreaper, after there was a fire at the works of Conacher who were awarded the contract to build an organ. Details can be found in the National Pipe Organ Register. This is dedicated

To the glory of God and in loving memory of Charles Francis Fisher who, for 26 years, faithfully and zealously filled the office of organist at this Chapel [1852-1905]

A new organ commemorated those who served/died in World War II.

The Chapel closed and was up for sale [August 2014].

See West Vale Baptist Manse and West Vale Baptist Memorial

West Vale Free Church
Opened in 18??. The organ was renovated in March 1900.

Closed in 19??

West Vale Methodist Chapel

West Vale Vicarage
The Vicarage for St John the Evangelist, West Vale was built opposite the Church on Calder Street.

It was demolished in 19??.

The houses of Calder Close have been built on the site

Wheatley Community Church
Opened in 18??

Wheatley Mission Church
Recorded in 1905 at 19 White Birch Terrace

Wheatley Pentecostal Church

Wheatley Wesleyan Methodist Church
Wheatley Road. Recorded in 1905.

Ministers at the Church have included


Willeby Chapel
Chantry chapel at Halifax Parish Church endowed by John Willeby in June 1494

Witchfield Methodist Chapel, Shelf
Aka Shelf Wesleyan Chapel.

Built in 1785. The foundation stones have been placed in the original gateway, now filled in.

In 1814, it was enlarged. In 1854, a Sunday School was built. In 1864, a new organ was installed. In 1878, a new Sunday School was opened.

In 1887, a new chapel was built. In 1896, a new American organ was installed.

Subsequent Ministers at the Chapel have included


The chapel was demolished in the 1970s. The site is now a car park

See Shelf Wesleyan Methodist Chapel War Memorials and Witchfield Methodist Chapel, Shelf Graveyard

Witchfield Methodist Chapel, Shelf: Graveyard
The graveyard for Witchfield Methodist Chapel, Shelf

Some of the monumental inscriptions in the graveyard are shown in the CD entitled Halifax Monumental Inscriptions #2

Woodend Wesleyan Mission, Hebden Bridge
Lees Road, Nutclough. Recorded in 1905

Woodlands Catholic Church, Halifax

Wyke Congregational Church
Built by Rev Benjamin Firth


© Malcolm Bull 2017 / [email protected]
Revised 16:49 on 23rd November 2017 / c109_w / 47