Nicholas GEORGE
MAIN  PAGE Emigrants arrival Belgians in America links


C.W. Soldiers

Belgian Civil War soldiers in IOWA


Nicholas GEORGE
Comp. D, 5th Iowa Cavalry



13th of August 1862, in the 5 Iowa Cavalry commanded by Capt. J. C. Wilson


Nashville, Tennessee, 17th June 1865


5 feet 10 ½ inches








1836 (or 1837 ?), Hachy, Belgium

Son of GEORGE Pierre, Hachy (1803-1881) and DEVILLEZ Marguerite, Nobressart (1804-1885)


Catharine Laurent on the 11 Feb. 1866 in Perry County Indiana, by John P. Dion Pastor of Leopold
Born on the 25th of March 1840, Etalle, Belgium
Daughter of LAURENT Louis, Neufchâteau (1795-1861) and SCHWEIKER Antoinette, Stockem (1802-1854)


14th of June 1891




Biography :

For more information, see the story of the GEORGES family in Indiana.

At Guys Gap on the 25th of June 1863, contracted disease of the heart and lungs, had a sudden pain in his breast which was caused and brought on by hard [duty] and exposure, having at that time been engaged for three days in Battle and Skirmishing

Bellow, the letter sent by Nicholas George, to sustain is claim for a pension :


Nicolas Georges

Catherine Laurent

Thanks to Corrinna Kuebler Jennings, a descent of Nicolas Georges for providing the pictures of Nicolas Georges and Catherine Laurent

Leopold, Perry Co. Ind.

August 7th 79

Dear Sir

In claim of invalid pension N° 274.386 of Nicholas George, I report in answer of yours, as follows : Nicholas George was enlisted on the 13th of August 1862 in Bellvue, Jackson Co. Iowa. Five years previous to this, I Nicholas George was working in Ohio, Seneca Co. Berwick, at Mr. Nicholas Nick deceased about 6 years ago in the same Co. There, I worked on the Railroad & some cubberts. I had never any sickness except chill.

From there I started for Dubuque, Iowa & then to "Tête des Morts", Jackson Co. Iowa. There I worked as stonecutter at building the Roman Cath. Church, I worked there all summer. Our superor was Mr; Matthias Abend. & I worked there all winter of 1857 & 58 & helped to build many houses of that place.

In winter of 58 I came to Saint Louis & chopped cord wood. Then started for Ind. Perry Co. Leopold, & got sick & took a prescription of medicine, from Rev. Neiron of New Albany Ind.;

In 1859 I worked here at Leopold at all kind of work until perfectly restored to health. Then in March 1859, I started back to Andrew, Jackson Co. Iowa, there I took the contract to build their Court House & completed the job. After this, until I enlisted, I worked for Mr. Jacob Baker of Bellevue & Michael Weiss [mason & stone cutter] resident of Mill Creek Iowa, both contractors & Builders

From my work at Mr Weiss & Baker, I enlisted, & was sent to Camp Mac Clellan, Davenport Iowa.

There we were examined by three Doctors of U.S.A. & were mustered in by Capt. Henry Shot, & were found fit for the service. There we remained for six weeks, & were transported St Louis Mo. There we got our horses & were transferred from St Louis to Fort Donalson Tenn., we arrived shortly after the battle. As we were new recruits, then we were divided into the Company of the 5th Iowa Cavalry;

The whole regiment was transferred scouting & scrennaging, we had to stand pickets for Fort Donalson & Highman untill after the Battle of Stone River.

We still remainded there untill Forest & Wheeler tried to recapture Fort Donalson. After the Stone River fight we went on to Murfreesborough, Tenn. There they placed us between Rebel Bragg & Rosenkranz there we had to stand pickets & do the scouting - & attacked Rebel Bragg on June 23d, at Geiss Gap, it lasted 3 days, raining day & night! After being wet to skin, I took sick –

There our regiment was ordered back to Murfreesborough Tenn. To guard the Rail Road. And I was taken to the 5th Iowa Regimental Hospital in Murfreesborough & was treated by assistant surgeon Dewitte of the 5th Iowa. He is of Dubuque Iowa. After recovering I was sent to the regiment for a big raid. After travelling many days I took sick again, as we had no ambulances or accommodations for our sick, the surgeon sent us on horseback to Deckart Station to go to the Hospital.

After arriving there the Rebels had taken the place & had taken all our comfort with them.

Nothing to eat & nothing to sustain all the sick. The medical train arrived from Nashville & took all the sick & wounded to the Nashville Hospital, 2 weeks after this I & some worst of the sick were taken to Louisville Ky. Into Clay Hospital, after recruiting some I was put on guard about the Hospital. The night guarding was injurious to my health &ll was not able to stand it long. There I was put on Duty of Alex. D. Watson, surgeon in charge of all the Hospital & Doctors. He(Dr. Watson) had me examined evry now & then, & was found unfit for the regiment. After this we moved from Clay Hospital to general Hospital in Louisville Ky.

I remained until Doctor Major Green took Dr. Watson positive in charge of all the Hospitals – There I was kept as orderly in his Office until 65, & was sent to join the regiment in Gravel Springs Tenn. & before the big rate the capturing of Jefferson Davis.

I staid with the regiment about two weeks, & was not able to do any service. Then I was sent to headquarters of the Medical department of Major General Ouptan to serve as orderly for Major Green who had been transferred from the General Hospital in Louisville, to General Ouptans’staff.

Then we started on the big rate, to take way a Fort & City as : Mouts Valley, Sellma, ColumbusAu & Montgomery/Macon Ga & etc & ther same time we captured Jeff Davis on the Oomulgee River. That was the time of our mysteries the "End of the war". –

Evry man who was able sent to get his discharge at Nashville Tenn. And all were transferred by the Goverment to our Home -.

As soon as I got to Iowa I tried to work again at the stonecutting trade, but took sick again, right away,

There I had Doctor Miller of Bellevue Iowa, a Canadian Frenchman! He restored my health so that i could get about, & I took a trip for my health’s sake to Ind. I was sick nearly the whole year, & Doctored regular with Doctor Victor Keller of Leopold Perry Co. Ind. He,(Doctor Keller) has been Doctoring me ever since the war;

From my little earnings I bought ma a small farm & as I am not well, farming does not agree with me I have a wife & 7 children to support, & can hardly make a living i tried to work at St Meinrad, Spencer Co Ind. At Right Rev. Martin Martys & was bound to come to Leopold & the Doctor (Keller) tended to me again.

After being sick for over a year, I lingered until the beginning of May 1875 then I was so low that I was pronounced by all Doctors as "Insane" On the same month, May 24th 1875 I was taken to the Assylum for the Insane at Indianapolis Indiana & my family at Home had to suffer! I remained in the state of insanity over 6 months, under the superintendence of Mr Orpheus Evers, a very fine man who done me a great deal of good; (I thank him for it) After recovering my senses & after being strengthened I was taken Home by Sherriff Burkett of Cannelton Perry Co. Ind.

And now, though my senses are restored, but my health does not permit me to do much, Doctor V. Keller is tending to me all the while & pronounces me incurable.

Please refer to all the Doctors for information & especially to Doctor Keller of Leopold as also to Doctor Orpheus Everts of Indianapolis

Yours Respectfully

N. Georges

Leopold, Perry Co Ind.


On the 14 day of June 1891, Nicholas Georges attempted suicide, the cause of which was temporary insanity caused by general derangement of the nervous system. He died the same day. After Nicolas died, Catherine Laurent took her family to Ohio and lived with John P. George Sr., a brother to Nicolas. There she raised the rest of her children and saw them married.

Sources :

- P
ension file of Nicholas GEORGE at  the NATIONAL ARCHIVES
- Data sent by Corrinna Kuebler Jennings, a great granddaughter of Nicolas and Catherine's daughter Janie Eulia George. 

Traduction : 

Nicolas GEORGES. 

Pour justifier sa demande de pension d'invalide de guerre, Nicolas George envoya une lettre de Leopold, le 7 août 1879. Cette lettre est un résumé de son parcours entre son arrivée aux Etats-Unis, de son engagement dans les forces du Nord et de sa vie après la guerre. 

Cher monsieur, 

En réponse à votre souhait d'information concernant ma demande de pension d'invalidité n° 274.386, je peux vous dire que je me suis engagé, le 13 août 1862 à Bellevue, comté de Jackson, dans l'état d'Iowa. Cinq ans avant cette date [ soit en 1857 ], je travaillais en Ohio, à Berwick dans le comté de Seneca chez monsieur Nicolas Nick, mort il y a environ six ans. Ensuite, j'ai travaillé aux chemins de fer et autres " cubberts ???". Je n'ai jamais été malade, sauf des refroidissements. De là, je me suis rendu à Dubuque en Iowa et ensuite à "Tête des Morts" dans le comté de Jackson en Iowa. Là, j'ai travaillé comme tailleur de pierres pendant la construction de l'église catholique romaine. J'y ai travaillé tout l'été. Mon patron était Mr Matthias Abend et j'ai travaillé pour beaucoup de maisons de cet endroit pendant l'hiver de 1857 et toute l'année 1858. Pendant l'hiver de 1858, je suis allé à Saint Louis et coupé du bois en stères. Puis je me suis rendu en Indiana, à Leopold dans le Comté de Perry. J'y ai été malade et me suis fait soigné par le Père Neiron de New Albany en Indiana. En 1859, j'ai travaillé à Leopold à toutes sortes de choses, jusqu'à ce que la santé me revienne entièrement. Et en mars 1859, je suis retourné à Andrew dans le Comté de Jackson en Iowa et j'y ait fait un contrat pour construire leur tribunal, que j'ai terminé. Ensuite, jusqu'à ce que je m'engage dans l'armée, j'ai travaillé pour Mr Jacob Baker de Bellevue et Michael Weiss ( maçon et tailleur de pierres ) habitants à Mill Creek en Iowa, tous les deux entrepreneurs. Après avoir travaillé chez Mrs Weiss & Baker, je me suis engagé [ dans le 5ème de cavalerie de l'Iowa, le 13 aout 1862 ] et ai été envoyé au camp Mac Clellan à Davenport en Iowa. Là, j'ai été examiné par trois médecins de l'armée et ai été enrôlé par le capitaine Henry Shot et trouvé bon pour le service. Nous sommes restés là pendant six semaines puis avons été envoyés à Saint Louis au Missouri. Là, nous avons reçu nos chevaux et été envoyés à Ford Donelson au Tennessee, où nous sommes arrivés peu de temps après la bataille. Comme nous étions de nouvelles recrues, nous avons été dispersés dans les différentes compagnies du 5ème Iowa. Tout le régiment fut assigné au travail de reconnaissance et de protection, nous avons monté la garde aux forts Donelson et Highman jusqu'après la bataille de Stone River. Nous sommes restés là jusqu'après la tentative de Forrest et Wheeler de reprendre Fort Donelson. Après la bataille de Stone River nous sommes allés sur Murfreesborough, au Tennessee. Là, on nous a placés entre le général rebelle Braggs et [le général nordiste] Rosenkrans et nous devions monter la garde et faire les reconnaissances. Nous avons attaqué Braggs, le rebelle, le 23 juin à Geiss Gap [ Guy's Gap ]. Celà a duré trois jours, il pleuvait nuit et jour ! Après avoir été trempés jusqu'à l'os, j'ai été malade. [Il est attesté dans le dossier de pension de Nicolas Georges qu'il ressentit, le 25 juin 1863, une douleur soudaine dans la poitrine, sûrement une faiblesse cardiaque due a un service épuisant en campagne, ayant été sans interruption au combat pendant trois jours du côté de Guy's Gap.] Ensuite, notre régiment fut renvoyé à Murfreesborough pour garder la ligne de chemin de fer. Je fut emmené à l' hôpital dont dépendait le régiment dont faisait partie le 5ème Iowa à Murfreesborough et fut soigné par l'assistant chirurgien Dewitte du 5ème Iowa. Il est de Dubuque en Iowa. Après avoir récupéré, je fut renvoyé au régiment pour un grand raid. Après avoir voyagé plusieurs jours, je fut à nouveau malade, et comme nous n'avions ni ambulances ni aucune facilités pour nos malades, le chirurgien nous envoya à cheval à Deckart Station pour nous rendre à l'hôpital. Après notre arrivée, les rebelles ont prit la place et emporté notre matériel. Rien à manger et rien pour aider les malades. Le train hôpital est arrivé de Nashville et emmena tous les malades et les blessés à l'hôpital de Nashville. Deux semaines après, les malades les plus atteints et moi furent emmené à Louisville au Kentucky au Clay Hospital. Après avoir récupéré un peu, je fus assigné de garde à l'hôpital. Faire la garde de nuit fut néfaste pour ma santé et je ne pus le supporter bien longtemps. Ensuite, on me mit au service d' Alex D. Watson, le chirurgien en charge de tous les hôpitaux et des médecins. Il (le docteur Watson) m'examina à plusieurs reprises et me trouva impropre au service en campagne. Ensuite, nous avons été transférés du Clay Hospital vers l'hôpital général de Louisville au Kentucky. J'y suis resté jusqu'à ce que le major Green remplace le Dr Watson en charge des hôpitaux. J'ai alors été retenu comme ordonnance dans ses bureaux jusqu'en 1865 et ai été renvoyé au régiment à Gravel Springs au Tennessee juste avant la course pour la capture de Jeff Davis. J'ai accompagné le régiment pendant deux semaines tout en étant incapable d'assurer aucun service. Ensuite j'ai été affecté aux quartiers généraux du département médical du major général Ouptan, pour servir d'aide de camp au major Green qui avait été transféré de l'Hopital Général de Louisville à l' état-major du général Ouptan. Nous avons alors commencé cette fameuse course, allant de forts en villes : Mount Vallez, Selma, Colombus, Montgomery, Macon, etc. jusqu'à ce que nous capturions Jeff Davis sur la rivière Oomulgee. Ce fut la fin de notre service et la fin de la guerre. Tous ceux qui le pouvaient furent envoyés à Nashville, Tennessee, pour être démobilisé et renvoyés chez eux par le gouvernement. Immédiatement après être retourné en Iowa, j'ai repris le travail de la pierre, mais je suis aussitôt tombé malade. J'ai consulté le docteur Miller de Bellevue en Iowa, un canadien-français. Il m'a remit sur pied et j'ai fait le voyage vers l'Indiana dans l'intérêt de ma santé. J'ai été malade toute l'année et j'ai été soigné par le docteur Victor Keller de Leopold. Il m'a soigné depuis la fin de la guerre. Avec le peu que je possédais, j'ai acheté une ferme, mais comme je n'étais pas bien, le travail de la ferme ne m'a pas convenu. J'ai une femme et sept enfants à charge et peux difficilement les entretenir. J'ai essayé de travailler à St Meinrard, comté de Spencer, Indiana. At Right Rev. Martin Martys et fut obligé de revenir à Leopold et le docteur (Keller) me soigna à nouveau. Après avoir été malade plus d'un an, j'ai continué à m'affaiblir jusqu'au début de mai 1875. J'étais alors si bas que tous les docteurs m'ont déclaré "aliéné". Le même mois, le 24 mai 1875, j'ai été envoyé à l'asile de fous d'Indianapolis et ma famille à la maison a beaucoup souffert. Je suis resté dans cet état de folie pendant plus de six mois, sous la surveillance de Mr. Orpheus Evers, un homme très distingué qui m'a fait beaucoup de bien ( et je l'en remercie ). Après avoir retrouvé mes sens et avoir repris des forces j'ai été ramené à la maison par le shérif Burkett de Cannelton. Et maintenant, bien que j'ai retrouvé mes esprits, ma santé ne me permet pas de faire grand chose. Le docteur Keller qui continue à me soigner, me dit incurable. Le 14 Juin 1891, Nicolas George fit une tentative de suicide, la cause étant "une démence temporaire due à un dérangement général du système nerveux". Il mourut le même jour.