The Friedberg Patrician Family Weisel
Die Friedberger Patrizierfamilie Weisel


by Justice Councillor Dr. Alexander Dietz
Published in the journal Hessiche Chronik, 1919




The Friedberg Patrician Family Weisel

This old "schoeffenbar free" (See notes) clan, written Weisel, Wissel, Wizele, and Wyssel[in], originated in Münzenberg in the Wetterau, where Arnold Wiselo was first named in 1253 and where considerably later more family members occur. The next news concerns Thilo Wyselin, who died in 1328, the canon at the newly erected Madonna Parish Church [Liebfrauenstift] in Frankfurt. In 1367 Henne Wyzele of Friedberg acquires Frankfurt citizenship by marriage, in 1368 Henrich Wyssel is named as a taxpayer in Friedberg, and in 1409 a Barbara Wissel[in] receives an order from Kaiser Ruprecht regarding a 100 fl. payment toward Friedberg reich's taxes. Paul Weisel was Junior Mayor in 1436, 1437 and 1441, and in 1444, 1449 and 1453 Senior Mayor.

I am not counting as part of this family the Nikolaus von Weisel who was named as Friedberg's schultheiss [appointive mayor] in 1308-1334 nor other bearers of the name von Weisel or de Wissel, who may have belonged to the knighted clan of this name that resided in Hoch-Weisel.

In the 16th century, Gerhard Weisel gained acclaim as mayor for having introduced the Reformation into his [paternal] hometown. In the year 1560 he brought about the treaty with the Ruprechtsberg Monastery of the Elector of Mainz, near Bingen, in which for an annual payment of 40 guilders he agreed to abjure forever his patronage right to the Friedberg town church and turned it over to the city. In this church there is also a commemorative plaque dedicated to the hospital master Konrad Weisel and his bequest in the year 1635.

The descendants of the mayor Gerhard Weisel started leaving Friedberg and became Hanau-Münzenbergish, Solmish, and Kurpfalzish mayor, financial officer, and learned council member, or becaume officiers (in the army). His son Adam and his grandson Gerhard were, for almost 100 years from 1841 onward, the Hanauish Superior Mayor and Finacial Officer in the neibouring town of Dorheim. The first hessian and rhinehessian officer-families were amoung their relatives. Dr. iur. Johannes Weisel became Bürger in Frankfurt through his marriage with Cassandra von Offenbach in 1621. He possessed the stately home "Haus zum Groll" in the old Mainzergasse [street] and the "Haus zur weißen Lilie" in the Roßallee (now Goetheplatz), in which his lived, and he let a nice grave be built for him and his wife on the grave yard of the Peterkirche.

In 1631 he played a part in giving accomodation to King Gustav Adolf of Sweden as council to the Swedish Geheimer Rat and Cavalry Major Philipp Reinhard Graf zu Solms-Lich. He visited, as a messenger, the Reichtag in Regensburg in 1636, and finally he, while retaining his residence in Frankfurt, was a Solmish officer in Rödelheim. In the still existing records, one can read about his possetions, houses, wine yards, fields and capital in Friedberg, Mansbach, Frankfurt, Bacharach, Trarbach and other towns. Among his debtors were the many Counts of Solms, with which the Weisel family has always has profound personal and business relations.

The only son of the deceased, doctor of law Heinrich Peter Weisel, entered the Palatine Electorate service and became the son-in-law of Chancelor Mieg. When he died at the youthful age of 27 years in the position of city mayor of Mannheim, the ruler of the country had a marble grave memorial erected in the church.

From 1613-1748 another branch of the family lived in Frankfurt on the Main, where also Johann Weisel became senator in 1648 and where his son played a role as a representative of the citizenry to the emporer's court in Vienna.

In the year 1737, Capitain Philipp Karl v. Weisel, as he called himself, in standing in French service, as inheritor of Marie Salome Leuchter nee Lady Schad v. Mittelbiberach, raised claims of fiefal ownership of the old, fortress-like houses "zum Paradies" and "Grimmvogel" at the Liebfrauenberg in Frankfurt on the Main.

In addition to already mentioned Friedberger Foundation of 1635, Sofie Weisel, a daughter of the official mayor Caspar Weisel of Gudensberg, founded a stipendium in 1769, which was under the auspices of the Kassel government and is directed to this day by the descendants of her niece, Arnoldine, who was married to the Electorate Hessian mining official Wolff.

The family carried since olden times the coat of arms in a blue field a griffon's talons between two golden stars.

The certain family line begins with: (See JPG scan of pages 2-6 for the family tree of Gerhard Weisel)


Die Friedberger Patrizierfamilie Weisel

Dieses alte, schöffenbar freie Geschlecht, Weisel, Wissel, Wizele, und Wysselin geschrieben, stammt aus Münzenberg in der Wetterau, wo zuerst 1253 Arnold Wiselo genannt wird un wo auch erheblich später noch Familienmitglieder vorkommen. Die nächste Nachricht betrifft den 1328 verstorbenen Thilo Wyselin, Kanonikus am neuerrichteten Frankfurter Liebfrauenstift. 1367 erwirbt Henne Wyzele von Friedberg durch Verheiratung das Frankfurter Bürgerrecht, 1368 wird Henrich Wyssel in Friedberg als Steuerzahler genannt und 1409 erhält eine Barbara Wisselin von Kaiser Ruprecht eine Anweisung von 100 fl. auf die Friedberger Reichssteuer. Paul Weisel war 1436, 1437 und 1441 jüngerer Bürgermeister und 1444, 1449 und 1453 älterer Bürgermeister.

Nicht zu dieser Familie zähle ich den 1308-1334 genannten Friedberger Schultheissen Nikolaus v. Weisel und andere Träger des Namens von Weisel oder de Wissel, welche dem in Hochweisel ansässigen Rittergeschlecht dieses Namens angehört haben mögen.

Im 16. Jahrhundert erwarb sich Gerhard Weisel als Bürgermeister Verdienste um die Einführung der Reformation in seiner Vaterstadt. Im Jahr 1560 brachte er den Vertrag mit dem Kurmainzischen Kloster Ruprechtsberg bei Bingen zustande, worin es gegen Zahlung einer Jahresrente von 40 Gulden auf sein Patronatsrecht an der Friedberger Stadtkirche für immer verzichtete und es der Stadt überließ. In dieser Kirche befindet sich auch eine Gedenktafel an dem Hospitalmeister Konrad Weisel und dessen Stiftung vom Jahr 1635.

Die Nachkommen des Bürgermeisters Gerhard Weisel verließen allmählich Friedberg und traten als Schultheißen, Rentmeister und rechtsgelehrte Räte in hanau-münzenbergische, solmsische, und kurpfälzische Dienste oder wurden Offiziere. Sein Sohn Adam und sein Enkel Gerhard bekleideten von 1581 fast 100 Jahre in dem benachbarten Dorheim das Amt als Hanauische Oberschultheißen und Rentmeister. Die ersten hessischen und rheinischen Beamtenfamilien zählten zu ihren Verwandten. Dr. iur. Johannes Weisel erwarb sich infolge seiner Verheiratung mit Cassandra v. Offenbach 1621 das Frankfurter Bürgerrecht, besaß hier das stattliche Haus zum Groll oder Gral in der alten Mainzergasse und das Haus zur weißen Lilie an der Roßallee (jetzt Goetheplatz), in welchem er wohnte, und ließ für sich und seine genannte erste Frau auf dem Peterskirchhof ein schönes Grabdenkmal errichten.

Im Jahre 1631 spielte er bei der Unkunft König Gustav Adolfs als Rat des Schwedischen geheimen Ratspräsidenten und Reiterobersten Philipp Reinhard Grafen zu Solms-Lich eine Rolle, besuchte September 1636 als Gesandter den Reichstag zu Regensburg und bekleidete zuletzt unter Beibehaltung seines Wohnsitzes in Frankfurt die Stelle eines Solmischen Amtmannes zu Rödelheim. Aus dem noch erhaltenen Nachlaßinventar ist sein erheblicher Besitz an Häusern, Weinbergen, A"ckern und Kapitalien in Friedberg, Mansbach, Frankfurt, Bacharach, Trarbach und anderen Orten zu ersehen. Zu seinen Darlehensschuldnern gehörten namentlich die verschiedenen Grafen von Solms, mit welchen die Familie Weisel stets lebhafte persönliche und geschäftliche Beziehungen unterhalten hat.

Der einzige Sohn des Verstorbenen, Dr. iur. [or "jur."] Heinrich Peter Weisel, trat in kurpfälzische Dienste und wurde der Schwiegersohn des Kanzlers Mieg. Als er im jugendlichen Alter von 27 Jahren in der Stellung eines Stadtschultheißen von Mannheim starb, ließ ihm der Landesherr in der Kirche ein Grabdenkmal aus Marmor errichten.

Von 1613-1748 lebte ein weiterer Zweig der Familie in Frankfurt am Main, woselbst Johann Weisel 1648 Senator wurde und sein Sohn als Bürgercapitain bei den mit dem Jahr 1705 beginnenden Verfassungskämpfen als Vertreter der Bürgerschaft am kaiserlichen Hof in Wien eine Rolle gespielt hat.

Im Jahr 1737 erhob der französischen Diensten stehende Capitain Philipp Karl v. Weisel, wie er sich nannte, als Erbe der Marie Salome Leuchter, geb. Freiin Schad v. Mittelbiberach, Lehensansprüche auf die alten, burgartigen Häuser zum Paradies und Grimmvogel am Liebfrauenberg zu Frankfurt am Main.

Uußer der bereits erwähnten Friedberger Stiftung von 1635 errichtete Sofie Weisel, eine Tochter des Amtsschultheißen Caspar Weisel zu Gudensberg, 1769 eine Stipendienstistung, welche der Uufsicht der Kasseler Regierung untersteht und von den Nachkommen ihrer an den Kurhessischen Bergrat Wolff verheirateten Nichte Arnoldine bis heute verwaltet wird.

Uls Wappen führte die Familie seit alten in Blau eine Greifenklaue zwischen drei goldenen Sternen.

Die feste Stammesreihe beginnt mit:


Notes:

[NOTE: Schöffenbarfreie were members of a lower level of nobility, in rank just below a baron, who either owned some land of their own or held a leasehold on some land. They also included certain free landowners who owned at least 3 "Hufen" (hides) of land. There is nothing like it in American history. For the English equivalent look up "Thane" and "Baronet". That's probably as close as you will come.]

The "-in" suffix is an archaic feminizing suffix used to designate the maiden name of an unmarried female. It is not part of the "real" family name, nor is it translated or used in American usage.


Source:


Acknowledgments:


This page was created March 5, 2001 and last modified 2020.

If you have corrections, additions, or other information you would like to see added to this web resource, please contact me.


Up