Bates County, Missouri American History and Genealogy Project


Obituaries published after 1923 will be abstracted to avoid copyright violations.

George W. Adams, the well known railroad contractor, died at Rich Hill on Sunday morning of kidney trouble, age 52 years. He had been engaged on railroad construction in Jasper County and was taken to Rich Hill for medical treatment. His remains were taken to Hume for burial. (The Pittsburg Headlight, Thursday, March 19, 1903)

Mrs. Fay Harriet Allen died March 22, 1966 in a Nevada hospital; born in Boone, Iowa on May 24, 1884, to John and Agnes Bain Jopling; graduated from the University Hospital School of Nursing in Kansas City in 1908; married Dr. Claude J. Allen on May 7, 1912 in Rich Hill; survived by her husband of the home in Rich Hill; a son, Mrs. W. H. Allen III of Nevada; two granddaughters, Cyndy and Toni Allen of Nevada; a brother, George B. Jopling of Newport Beach, Calif.; two sisters, Mrs. Bess Burton of Des Moine, Iowa and Mrs. Doris Crowder of Louisburg, Kans.; burial March 24 in Green Lawn Cemetery, Rich Hill.
(abstract, Nevada Daily Mail, March 22, 1966)

Died, at his residence in Lone Oak township, Bates county, Mo., on Thursday, Dec. 21st, 1876, John Anderson.
(The Bates County Record, Dec. 23, 1876)

William Apley died at the home of his sister, Mrs. G. H. Rains, of the Reavley neighborhood, of apoplexy. The funeral was held at the home of Mrs. Rains on Saturday and the remains were interred in Green Lawn cemetery. (Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday July 1, 1909)

Died, at the residence of her son, O. D. Austin, on Wednesday morning, Aug. 11, 1869, Mrs. F. A. Austin, in the 54th year of her age. She was the daughter of the Rev. Enoch Conger, and wife of Dr. H. Austin, formerly of Mansfield, Ohio, late a surgeon of the volunteer army of the United States, in the rebellion; he died about the close of the war. Mrs. Austin removed from her native state of New York, with her parents to Ohio, where she lived until about two years ago when she came to this place, where she has been living since that time. Her death was the result of a fall down the stairs at her home, from which she suffered severe injuries which caused her death less that 48 hours after the accident. She leaves two children, a son and a daughter, who with a large circle of friends, mourn her loss.
(The Bates County Record, Aug. 14, 1869)

Mrs. Arthur Bankson, who had been sick for some time, died at her home in the east end last Saturday evening. An operation was performed Saturday morning hoping to save her life but to no avail. Mrs. Bankson was about 37 years of age and leaves to mourn a mother's loss five small children besides her husband. Funeral services were held Monday and interment was in Greenlawn cemetery. (Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday Nov. 7, 1907)

Phillip Banner, age 69, of Butler, Mo., died at 11:55 o'clock Saturday night at the home of a friend, seven and a half miles south of Wichita, after a lingering illness. Mr. Banner was born in Berlin, Germany, and came to America when only a small boy. He lived in Kansas City for forty years prior to going to Butler, eleven years ago. Besides his widow, Louise Banner, he is survived by a brother, Henry Banner of Idaho. Burial will be in the Cartwright Cemetery. (The Wichita Beacon, Monday, Jan. 2, 1922)

Richard P. Blangy, an old border settler, died at his home a few miles west of Hume on April 4, 1909. The funeral service was conducted from the home by Rev. J. H. Boner on Monday afternoon, and interment was in the Fairmount cemetery. (Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday April 15, 1909)

Died, on Sunday, Jan. 6th, 1877, an infant son of Mr. and Mrs. C. F. Boxley, aged two months.
(The Bates County Record, Jan. 13, 1877)

Aula Jane Brown, 24 years old of Amoret, Mo., died early Sunday morning at a local hospital of peritonitis. She is survived by her husband, T. J. Brown, and parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Thomas of Amoret; also six sisters, Mary, Sadie, Louise, Minnie, Effie of Amoret and Mrs. Hussey of Montana; two brothers, Ed and Ben of Sedalia, Mo. The body will be taken to Fort Scott this morning for funeral services and burial. (Wichita Daily Eagle, May 21, 1917)

Louisa T. Brown, 74 years old, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Ed. Smith, at Arma, Monday night. The body was sent to Rich Hill, Mo., yesterday for burial. The deceased is survived by five daughters and two sons. The daughters are: Mrs. Smith of Arma; Mrs. George Watson of Pittsburg; Mrs. J. P. Hammond of Cherryvale; Mrs. W. J. Hunter, Joplin, Mo.; Mrs. John D. Moore, Rich Hill, Mo. The sons are Harry L. Brown of Cherryvale and Manly Brown of Eldorado, Kansas. (Pittsburg Sun, Wednesday Oct. 30, 1918)

Mrs. Margaret A. Bury died Saturday (March 26th) morning at her home on the East Side, aged 68 years. Mrs. Bury had been in poor health for a long time, and it was no surprise to her friends to hear of her death. Funeral services were conducted at the Pryor Creek Baptist church on noon last Friday. Rev. W. H. Miller of Sprague preached the sermon and the remains were interred at the church cemetery. She leaves a number of children, among them being Ab Bury of west of town and W. A. Shannon of Walla Walla, Wash. (Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday April 1, 1909)

Benjamin Caldwell, an aged and highly respected citizen of New Home township, died at the residence of William Burrows Saturday. Deceased was about 83 years of age and was buried Sunday in the Foster cemetery (Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday July 18, 1907)

John W. Chaney, formerly of Rich Hill, was fatally injured in a runaway Friday Nov. 20 and died Saturday, Nov. 21, at Sapulpa, Oklahoma. Deceased was an early settler of Rich Hill, coming here in 1882 from Butler. The body was brought here for interment on Sunday. He was 50 years old and leaves a wife and seven children. Relatives attending the funeral from out of town include his son, Lee, of Kansas City, and daughter, Mrs. Will McBride of Pittsburg, Kansas. (The Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday, Nov. 26, 1908)

Mrs. Ethel Belle Clayton, wife of L. W. Clayton of Hume, Mo., who has been taking treatments at the Fort Scott hospital, died yesterday afternoon. She had been there several weeks and previously underwent an operation for cancer in Kansas City. Mrs. Clayton was 41 years, 3 montns and 5 days old, and was born in Monmouth, Warren County, Illinois on Sept. 22, 1880. Besides her husband, she leaves a brother, Ross R. Ewan, and a sister, Amy Dorothy Ewan of Hume, Mo. Services will be held in Hume tomorrow. (Fort Scott Tribune and Monitor, Thursday, Mar. 30, 1922)

Funeral services for Mrs. Mary E. Coulter, 73 years old, mother of E. E. Coulter of Pittsburg, who died yesterday morning at the home of another son, E. M. Coulter of Roanoke, Va., will at the Hume Methodist church in Hume, Mo., her old home, Thursday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock. Mrs. Hume made her home alternately with her two sons. Her husband died nearly twenty years ago. She left Pittsburg last June to spend the summer and winter with her son in Roanoke. Besides her two sons, she is also survived by a daughter, Miss Clara May Coulter of Roanoke; a sister, Mrs. Clara J. Bame of Hume, and a brother, John J. Jones of Pueblo, Colo. (Pittsburg Sun, Wednesday, Nov. 17, 1920)

The remains of Otis Crowe, the young man who was drowned at Othick Park Thursday morning, were this afternoon shipped to Rich Hill, Mo., where burial will be made tomorrow. C. H. Crowe of Rich Hill, and J. P. Crow of Nevada, brothers of the deceased, came in last night to take charge of the body. (Fort Scott Daily Monitor, Friday, May 28, 1915)

Died, on Monday, Dec. 28th, 1874, Robert L. Cunningham, of dropsy. Aged 68 years, 8 months and 28 days.
(The Bates County Record, Jan. 2, 1875)

Died, at 9 o'clock A. M., Nov. 30, 1870, at the residence of Fifer Sacket, Esq., after a painful illness of five days, Mrs. Leodocia Davis, mother of Mrs. Sackett, aged 60 years.
(The Bates County Record, Dec. 3, 1870)

It was in a vain effort to save the life of his little grandson that Congressman David A. DeArmond of the Sixth Missouri district perished in a fire that destroyed his home in Butler yesterday morning. The heroism of the Congressman was made known yesterday afternoon when, with his arms locked around the blackened and burned body of the little boy, the Congressman's body was found. He had caught up with the six year old lad, David A. DeArmond, jr., and rushed with him through the leaping flames that filled his rooms. He fell with his unconscious burden and both sank to the floor to quick death. What makes the tragedy unusually pathetic is the fact that the grandson was the grandfather's idol. The two were inseparable, and Monday night the boy went to the grandfather's house as usual, and after a happy evening the two retired. The next the family heard of them was when, from behind the smoke and flames that enveloped the house, the boy screamed, "Oh, Grandpa, get me out of here quick. I'm burning to death." "Yes, son, don't be afraid. Grandpa will take you out," was the calm reply. It has been decided to hold a double funeral for them Friday afternoon, with burial in the Oak Hill cemetery. (The Ottawa Republic, Wednesday, Nov. 24, 1909)

After a painful illness of seven weeks, little Cecil Drown, age one year, passed peacefully away on the evening of the 17th. Services were conducted at the house by Rev. Andrew Wilson, and the little one was buried in Green Lawn Cemetery. (The Rich Hill Tribune, Aug. 22, 1901)

Miss Effie Duncan, daughter of Mrs. L. E. Duncan, died at the family home on North Havana street, at five o'clock, Thursday, Nov. 19th, after a lingering illness of tuberculosis. Miss Duncan had been a patient sufferer, and although every means possible had been used to stay the ravages of that dread disease which has fastened upon her, the loving ministrations of relatives and the skill of physicians availed not, and death came to relieve her of her sufferings. Funeral services were held from the home at 1:30 o'clock this afternoon and burial was made in Oak Hill cemetery. (Butler Democrat, Friday, Nov. 20, 1908)

John Frank, one of the pioneer settlers of Rich Hill, died after a severe illness of dropsical trouble. Mr. Frank was born in Wellinge, Germany in 1827, and came to Missouri in 1854. (Kansas City Gazette, Jan. 17, 1903)

Mrs. Mary R. Franklin, formerly of Hume, Mo., died of pneumonia fever at her daughter's residence in Richards on February 23rd. She was the wife of I. Franklin and was about 80 years old. She leaves a son and two daughters. Burial was in the Hume Cemetery. (Fort Scott Tribune and Monitor, Thursday, March 2, 1922)

Died, Dec. 19, 1878, Thomas Jefferson, son of Albertus and Margaret Fry, of pneumonia, aged 7 months and 4 days.
(The Bates County Record, Dec. 21, 1878)

Roy Gault was born near Rich Hill, Mo., on the 22nd of May, 1878. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. William Gault. When 18 years of age he moved to Kansas. He also lived in Illinois, Minnesota, Idaho and Colorado. While in Boise City, Idaho, he was seized with typhoid fever from the effects of which he never recovered. While in Pueblo, Colorado he received an injury necessatating the amputation of nearly all the toes of foot. Added to these afflictions came diabetes which eventually caused his death. This occurred at his parents' home on May 1st. Funeral services were conducted in the Sprague Christian church on Sunday. Interment was made in the Green Lawn Cemetery. A brother and two sisters preceded Roy to the "eternal realm." There are remaining here his father, mother, three brothers and four sisters. These have the heartfelt sympathy of the entire church and community. (The Rich Hill Tribune, May 6, 1909)

Died, on Wednesday morning, Dec. 20, 1876, Annie, youngest daughter of M. L. and J. C. Graves, aged 19 months.
(The Bates County Record, Dec. 23, 1876)

Died, on the morning of the 13th of Sept. 1871, Mr. Eli Green, of paralysis, in the 74th year of his age. Mr. Green had been a citizen of this county of the past two years, having moved here from Iowa.
(The Bates County Record, Sept. 16, 1871)

Died, in Linn county, Kansas, on the 6th of July, 1871, of consumption, Deacon Daniel Hall, aged 44 years. He had been a member of the Baptist church at West Point since just after its organization, in 1868, and in February, 1869, was chosen Deacon. He leaves a wife and nine children to mourn his absence.
(The Bates County Record, July 29, 1871)

Died, in Linn county, Kansas, on Aug. 1, 1871, of consumption, Laura, youngest daughter of Daniel C. and Sarah Hall, aged 8 months.
(The Bates County Record, Aug. 12, 1871)

Mrs. Zoe C. Hancock of Hume, Mo., who had been at the Strong home here for the past three months, died yesterday morning at the 10 o'clock of cancer. Her age was 50 years. The deceased is survived by one son, R. T. Hancock, of Hume; two sisters of California; three brothers in Illinois, Arkansas and California, and her mother, also of California. Her husband died two years ago. Mrs. Hancock had been a resident of Hume for the past 14 years. The funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon at Hume, and burial will be in the Hume Cemetery. (Fort Scott Tribune and Monitor, Wednesday, Feb. 22, 1922)

J. W. Baker attended the funeral of Mrs. Frances J. Hart, mother of Mrs. Baker, at Butler on Monday. Mrs. Hart was 79 years old and the widow of Edmund Hart; the couple were pioneer settlers of this county. She was buried in Rogers cemetery in Pleasant Gap township. (The Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday, Oct. 11, 1906)

News came to the city Tuesday that Joseph Helton, son of Alex Helton, formerly a baker in this city, died in Kansas City on Monday and was buried in that city Tuesday. He was married and leaves a wife. Eighteen months ago his sister Georgie died. They resided in Rich Hill for many years. (The Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday, March 9, 1905)

Dora Almeda Hereford was born May 20, 1889 in Arkansas. She died April 14, 1909 after an illness of only a few days. Early in life with her parents she returned to Vernon County, Mo., where she made her home until June 14, 1908 when she was united in marriage with William Burr Hereford of this city. Beside her sorrowing husband and infant daughter she leaves five sisters and one brother to mourn her loss. (The Rich Hill Tribune, April 22, 1909)

At Merwin on April 14th occurred the very sad ending of Mr. Andy House, father of Mrs. J. B. Rucker. Mr. House was one of Merwin's oldest citizens and at the time of his death in his 88th year. The old gentleman had become childish and the supposition is that he had temporarily become unbalanced in his mind. He threw a rope over the corn crib and twisted once around his neck, then threw a weight upon it, and was found in a sitting position by his daughter about 6 o'clock in the evening. The coroner was notified but instructed the justice at Merwin to hold the inquest. He was interred in his last resting place Thursday afternoon. (Asterdam Enterprise, April 23, 1903)

Little Harry Hurt died at his home near Butler last Tuesday and was buried at Oak Hill cemetery at Butler. (The Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday, Nov. 26, 1908)

Robert K. Jeffries died at Rich Hill, Mo. yesterday at the age of 33 years. He leaves a wife and three children to mourn the loss of a kind and loving father. He was engaged in the hotel business at Rich Hill and had come there from Salina three years ago. The body will be brought to Salina for burial. (Salina Daily Republican, Wednesday, Jan. 23, 1889)

Died, at the residence of Filer Sackett, on Monday evening, Jan. 8th, 1877, Miss Norah Jennison, aged 11 years, 11 months and 24 days. She was a frail, delicate child and her illness was but brief. She was devoutly attached to her mother and a loved scholar in the Sabbath School.
(The Bates County Record, Jan. 13, 1877)

Mrs. J. J. Jurd, an aged lady of Rich Hill, died at her home there Monday of dropsy, after a lingering illness. Mrs. Jurd, formerly Miss Elizabeth Hughes, was born in Pettis County, Missouri, in 1838. She was married to J. J. Jurd fifty four years ago next September. He survives her, along with two sons, R. A. Jurd of Rich Hill and W. E. Jurd of Salida, Colorado; two daughters, Dora Jurd of Rich Hill, and Mrs. C. W. McMillan of Fort Scott. The funeral was held here today at the Missouri Pacific depot, with burial in Evergreen Cemetery. (Fort Scott Semi-Weekly Tribune Monitor, Aug. 18, 1911)

The 11-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. J. N. Kern, of east of the river, died Monday afternoon at 4 o'clock and was buried Tuesday afternoon in the Papinville cemetery. (The Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday, Aug. 1, 1907)

Mrs. J. C. Leslie died at the home of her grandparents, Mrs. and Mrs. H. Huttanus, last Thursday, of spinal meningitis, and was buried Friday afternoon in Greenlawn Cemetery.(Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday Sept. 13, 1906)

Uncle John Lowder, aged 81 years, died at the home of his son, W. H. Lowder, Sunday, February 5th, near Shobe. His death was caused by the bursting of a blood vessel in the brain. He was stricken Saturday about noon and never regained consciousness, passing peacefully away Sunday evening. He was buried Monday in Greenlawn cemetery. (Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday Feb. 9, 1905)

James List was born in the state of Pennsylvania in the year of 1833. He was a farmer and followed this occupation until Aug. 7, 1862, when he enlisted as a private in Co. D, 13th infantry, and was discharged June 2, 1863 having served nearly 10 months. He again enlisted as a private, Feb. 11, 1864, in Co. I, 2nd Pa. Inf., and was discharged Jan. 19, 1866 by reason of General Orders, having served nearly two years, making his entire service 34 months. He joined Gen. Canby Post No. 10, G.A.R., Dec. 7, 1886 and was granted a transfer card Feb. 1, 1895. He died at his home in Vernon County, Mo., June 28, 1909 at the age of 75 years. He was buried in Green Lawn cemetery beside his only daughter who predeceased him to the grave many years ago. H. M. Booth had charge of the funeral arrangements and comrades of the Grand Army of the Republic performed the last sad rites at the grave. The deceased was survived by his widow, the last member of his immediate family, and she, with other relatives, attended the funeral. (The Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday, July 1, 1909)

Little Grace, the six year old child of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Mathews, died at their home Monday morning of typhoid fever. She was buried Tuesday. (The Rich Hill Tribune, Oct. 12, 1905)

The body of Mrs. Margaret Mattingly, age 78, who died at midnight Sunday, at her home her in Wichita, will be taken to Rich Hill, Mo., Wednesday for funeral services and burial. She was born in Richmond, Canada on January 6, 1844 and came with her parents to Omaha, Neb., at an early age. On January 6, 1866 she was married to Peter Mattingly; he died at Rich Hill in 1907. Mrs. Mattingly moved to Wichita in 1916. Surviving are her daughters, Miss Mary Mattingly of Wichita, principal of the Woodland School, Mrs. H. J. Manning of Denver, Colo.; Mrs. J. E. White of Sweet Springs, Mo.; and Mrs. J. J. O'Driscoll of Colorado Springs, Colo.; also two sons, James Mattingly of New Mexico and Frank Mattingly of Rich Hill; three sisters, one brother and ten grandchildren. (Wichita Beacon, Tuesday, Feb. 28, 1922)

Edward C. Maxwell died yesterday afternoon of heart failure at his home west of the city on route five. He was born in Virginia on Oct. 29, 1836. Mr. Maxwell has been in failing health for the last two years. The family came to Fort Scott from Hume, Mo. about five years ago. He is survived by his widow, a son, J. B. Maxwell of Fort Scott, and four daughters, Mrs. Frank Coon of Fort Scott, Mrs. E. Hibler of Springfield and Betty and Ora, still at home. The body will be taken to Hume, Mo. for burial in the cemetery there. (Fort Scott Tribune and Monitor, Saturday, Dec. 2, 1916)

Thomas McCombs Jr., died at Bloomington, Ill., Jan. 17th, 1909 of pneumonia, aged 38 years, 9 months and 22 days. At the time of his death Mr. McCombs was visiting relatives and friends at that place, and while there devemloped pneumonia. His sister, Miss Lizzie McCombs, was at his bedside at the time of his death, and his brother, Jack, left here Sunday noon but reached there after his brother died. The deceased was born in Bloomington, Illinois, March 25th, 1870.The remains arrived here Tuesday morning and the funeral will be held at the home this afternoon. His brother, David McCombs, Jr., of Los Angeles, Cal., and uncle, Thomas McCombs, who was at Houston, Texas, are here to attend the funeral. Interment will be made in Green Lawn cemetery. (The Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday, Jan. 21, 1909)

Glen, the little eight year old son of Mr. and Mrs. J. H. McElroy, died in this city last Thursday after a long and painful illness of an abcess of the liver. Mr. and Mrs. McElroy have the heartfelt sorrow in the loss of their dear little son, Glen. Among the mourners attending the funeral were Mr. Lon McElroy and Mrs. Drysdale of Butler, uncle and aunt of the deceased. (Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday Oct. 4, 1906)

Mrs. Junietta Lloyd Meals, wife of John Meals, died at her home this city last Friday morning, was buried in Greenlawn cemetery Saturday afternoon. (Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday Aug. 14, 1902)

Died, in Walnut Creek, Aug. 22, of congestion of the brain, Oliver Slater, only child of William B. and Mary Miller, aged 11 months.
(The Bates County Record, Sept. 16, 1871)

The little four-weeks-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bennett Nall died Tuesday, March 30th, 1909. She was a pneumonia victim at Hume. The father and mother have the sympathy of the entire community in their affliction. (The Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday, April 8, 1909)

There were many sorrowing hearts in Adrian Wednesday morning when it was announced that Mary Parish had died during the night. Mary had been ill some days with tonsilitis and there was a feeling of uneasiness on the part of her many friends lest she might not survive the attack but all hoped for her speedy recovery. (Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday Nov. 11, 1909)

William Phelps, an aged resident of the town of Papinsville, died last Friday night and was buried in the Papinsville cemetery, Sunday afternoon. He was highly respected and in his death the community loses an exemplary citizen. (The Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday, Sept. 13, 1906)

Helen, the five year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ed Phillips, died at their home in the northwest part of town last Thursday, of flux. The deceased was a bright, amiable little daughter, loved by all who knew her, and we sincerely sympathize with the bereaved parents in this, their sad ordeal. The funeral occurred Saturday morning at 10:30 o'clock and interment was made in Green Lawn cemetery. (Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday July 25, 1907)

Mrs. Benjamin Pickett died at the home of her son, Al Pickett, in this city Tuesday, aged 61 years. Funeral services were held yesterday afternoon and interment made in Green Lawn cemetery. (Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday April 1, 1909)

Died, on Monday, Nov. 28th, 1870, at the residence of Mr. Gregory, of this place, of intestinal hemorrhage, Mr. Benjamin Pitman. He was a resident of our county for over two years, but was called by the Destroyer before he made known the whereabouts of his relatives. He was a single man of considerable property, and although without relatives in this section of the state, his death will be mourned by a large circle of personal friends. We believe him to have been the noblest work of God--an honest man.
(The Bates County Record, Dec. 3, 1870)

The many friends, school and Sunday school mates of Miss Ollie Popenoe will regret to learn of her death from typhoid on Friday, Aug. 13th, 1878, in Dayton, Ohio. She had been sick for two weeks, but bore the illness with remarkable christian fortitude.
(The Bates County Record, Aug. 21, 1875)

The little daughter of Fred Putnam and wife, at the Holland mine west of town, was a victim of whooping cough Sunday. Funeral services were held at the home Monday and interment made in Green Lawn cemetery. (Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday May 20, 1909)

John W. Raulston, an elderly man, was struck by the Missouri Pacific passenger train No. 208 north-bound, Friday noon, and taken to the depot, where he was attended by doctors Delanater and Shafer, and later taken to his home where he died that afternoon. John Wesley Raulston was born April 6, 1850, near Bloomington. Illinois, and died Jan. 15, 1909, at his home in Rich Hill, Mo. He was married May 9, 1890 to Annie Wheaton at LaCygne, Kansas. He has lived in Rich Hill nearly three years. Deceased leaves a wife and three children: one son, Amos,, and two daughters, Mary Ann and Della. Services were held Jan. 16 from the Baptist church, with interment in Green Lawn cemetery. (The Rich Hill Tribune, Jan. 21, 1909)

C. Jane Reed, who lived west of the city on rural route No. 3, died at her home Wednesday evening of last week, in the 57th year of her age. Dropsy, the result of long confinement, being the cause of her death. Mrs. Reed was a widow, her husband having died some years ago, and left nine children surviving, most of them about grown. She was an energetic, good woman and served her day. She was buried in Greenlawn cemetery. (The Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday, June 23, 1904)

Mr. William Requa died at the family residence in Nevada on Monday morning, November 7, after a brief illness of pneumonia. Mr. Requa was born January 14, 1834 in Bates County Missouri, at what was the old Harmony Mission, near where Papinville now stands. He was the first white child born in that county. His parents, Rev. and Mrs. George Requa, were part of the original missionary band at that place. Mr. Requa attended school in Independence and from there went to Danville, Kentucky, where he entered Centre College, the noted Presbyterian institution, and graduated from that place. One the breaking out of the war between the states, Mr. Requa enlisted on the Union side and served as a soldier with distinction. On Nov. 11, 1868 he was married to Miss Cordelia Elliott in Bates County. Farming was his occupation until he found himself too feeble to perform all the duties required on a farm, so the family moved to Nevada, where they have made their home since. He leaves a widow and an adopted daughter, Mrs. Florian Lucaff of Leadville, Colorado. He is also survived by four brothers, Austin and C. J. Requa of Bates County, and James of G. H. Requa of Fort Scott, Kansas. A sister, Mrs. David Redfield, lives in Ardmore, I. T. Funeral arrangements have not yet been made. (Nevada Mail, Nov. 8, 1904)

J. B. Rucker, postmaster at Merwin, died Sunday morning, May 27th, at his home in Merwin. Mr. Rucker was a first class man and an excellent official. (Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday May 31, 1906)

Miss Inez Scott, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Scott, died at the family home south of this city and was buried at Carbon Centre Friday, the funeral conducted by J. M. Clark. (The Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday, April 3, 1902)

Thomas Serro, of Rich Hill, Mo., died while a passenger on a Missouri Pacific train near Wichita on Saturday. Serro was severly burned in an explosion of coal oil at his home in Rich Hill on last Wednesday. Knowing that he could not recover he expressed a desire to be taken to his old home in Hutchinson to die. He was placed on a cot in a baggage car and accompanied by his wife and Dr. C. J. Allen of Rich Hill. They passed through this city on Saturday morning. Death overtook him at Wichita, after practically all of the journey had been completed. (Fort Scott Tribune Monitor, Monday, Feb. 19, 1912)

Mrs. Betsy Sprague, consort of Thomas J. Sprague, departed this life, in Butler, at the residence of her son, on Monday, November 8th, 1869. Her maiden name was Chandler, and her birthplace Onondago county, New York. She and her husband, who survives her, early committed to the life of worthy pioneers, emigrating in 1825 to Steuben county, in western New York, comparatively a wilderness, when after a residence of nine years they again emigrated to Missouri, to the present city of Adrain. Here they continued to reside, until the past few weeks, when they again, in their old age, resumed their western march to make their home with their son, Charles Sprague, our fellow citizen.
(The Bates County Record, Nov. 20, 1869)

Mrs. Jesse Steele died at her home in this city last Friday after a long and painful illness beyond the power of medical skill to cure or even relieve. Death was inevitable from the beginning. She was a member of the Christian church, a devoted wife and a good mother, an excellent neighbor and a faithful friend. Her funeral was preached by Rev. C. A. Hedrick and a large concourse of friends followed the body to its last resting place in Green Lawn cemetery. Her maiden name was Martha J. Garrison. She was born in Mt. Morris, Pa., Dec. 21, 1836 and was in her 66th year when she died. She was married to Jesse Steele, who survives her, on July 3, 1863 at the home of her birth, came with him to Missouri in 1876 and to Rich Hill in 1881. Four children, beside her husband, survive her: Fred, of Kansas; Hamp of Arkansas; Mrs. W. V. Hanna of Wisconsin; and Miss Josephine Steele of the home. (Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday, May 1, 1902)

Died, near West Point, on the 6th inst., after a short illness, Mr. David Stewart, aged 86 years.
(The Bates County Record, Aug. 12, 1871)

Died, at the residence of his brother in law, O. D. Austin, in Butler, Mo., on Thursday, Aug. 17, 1876, Mr. S. A. Stobie, aged 24 years. Aleck was well and favorably known to all our old citizens, having been in the employ of Doctors Martin and Pyle for a number of years. Two years ago last spring he went to San Francisco, Cal., at which place he afterwards went into business for himself. It was during his residence on the Pacific slope that he contracted the disease (consumption) of which he died. His remains were accompanied to their last resting place yesterday by a large concourse of relative and friends.
(The Bates County Record, Aug. 19, 1876)

John D. Thomas, a well known farmer living four and one half miles south of Fort Scott, died this morning after a three months' illness of general debility. Formerly of Rich Hill, Mo., he had lived in Bourbon County for the last 23 years. Mr. Thomas was born in Jackson County, Mo., on Sept. 26, 1847; was married to Frances Pittman in 1868. They were the parents of one child, Will, of Rich Hill, and Mrs. Thomas died in 1869. On July 3, 1878 he married Mahala Kirkpatrick, to which union nine children were born, three of them preceding their father in death. He leaves his wife and the following children: Will of Rich Hill; Clarence of Fort Scott; George H. of Ottawa; Mrs. Marvin Lisher of Paonia, Colo.; Mrs. Daisy Thompson of Youngstown, Ohio; Mrs. R. E. Griffith and Mrs. Walter Moberg, both of Fort Scott. Burial was in the Deerfield Cemetery. (Fort Scott Tribune Monitor, Monday, Feb. 21, 1921)

The funeral of Stephen Thomas, brother of Aaron Thomas, will take place on Sunday, July 18th, at Requa's school house. Rev. T. S. Benefiel will preach the funeral sermon.
(The Bates County Record, July 10, 1869)

The funeral services for the late A. L. Turner, well known blacksmith of Prescott, Kansas, were well attended yesterday afternoon. Rev. L. M. Kelly, pastor of the M. E. church at Hume, Mo., paid an impressive tribute to his memory. Interment was made in the Lawrence cemetery near his former home at Hume, Mo. (Fort Scott Tribune Monitor, Tuesday, Sept. 12, 1922)

Mary Jane Bassett was born Nov. 4, 1849 in Richfield and died in Christ hospital, Topeka, Kansas, July 28, 1908, age 58 years, 8 months and 28 days. On Nov. 6, 1870, she was married to George C. Underhill at Rich Hill. To this union four children were born, three of whom survive her: Mrs. W. F. Bigler of Evanston, Ill., George and Earl Underhill of Baldwin, Kansas. In 1879 the family moved to Unadilla, Neb., and in 1890 came to Rich Hill, residing in the Carbon Center neighborhood. The family moved to Baldwin, Kansas, where they lived when Mrs. Underhill passed away. Mrs. Underhill had lived a consistent Christian life for many years and was loved and admired by all who knew her. (The Rich Hill Tribune, Aug. 6, 1908)

Alva Welch died at the home of his parents, Mrs. and Mrs. T. C. Welch, in this city Monday afternoon after a long illness of consumption. He was 33 years old and leaves two children, a girl and a boy aged 8 and 6 years, one brother and one sister, besides his parents. The funeral took place at the Latter Day Saints church, the funeral being preached by Rev. Lee Quick, and the burial was in Greenlawn cemetery. This is the third child of Mr. and Mrs. Welch that has died in the past three years, besides two grandchildren. The aged parents have the sympathy of the community in their loss. (The Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday, April 4, 1907)

Mrs. Anna Welch, wife of T. C. Welch, died suddenly at their home on the east side, early Saturday morning about 12:30 o'clock of heart trouble. She was apparently in the best of health the night previous, and at about 11 o'clock complained that she was smothering. Medical aid was bought, but she died soon after. The deceased was about 61 years and 8 months of age, and was the mother of seven children, five of which are dead. The family have been extremely unfortunate, as about 8 deaths have occurred in the last four years, a son dying only about a month ago. Deceased was a true and lovin wife, who was devoted to her home. She lived and died a Christian, saying in the last moment that she was prepared for the better home in the great beyond. The funeral was held at the Latter Day Saints' Church Sunday at 2:30 o'clock, p. m., the service being in charge of Elder Jenkins of Holden. The family have the sympathy of the community in their deep sorrow. (The Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday, June 13, 1907)

Mr. John Welch, son of Mr. and Mrs. L. C. Welch, died at the home of his parents in this city Monday evening after a sickness extending over several months with consumption. His age was 35 years and he leaves a widow and four small children, besides his parents, brothers and sisters. His funeral was preached by Elder W. H. Mannering at the Latter Day Saints' church yesterday afternoon, and he was buried in Green Lawn cemetery. (The Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday, April 14, 1904)

Died, of consumption on Monday, Aug. 4th, after an illness of two years, which she bore with Christian fortitude and resignation, Alcey C., wife of James F. White, aged 42 years, 7 months and 9 days.
(The Bates County Record, Aug. 14, 1869)

Mrs. Mary Whitfield died at her home six miles southeast of Hume, Mo. on Sunday afternoon, Oct. 6th. She was born in Belfast, Ireland eighty years ago this September, and came to the United States with her parents when 10 years old. She and her husband, who survives at the age of 82 years, were married 60 years ago. She is also survived by three children, Harry, Ben and Edyth, as well as a grandson and three great-grandchildren. A daughter, Mrs. Allie Thompson, and a son, Blake, preceded her in death. Burial was in the Hume Cemetery. (Olathe Mirror, Thursday, Oct. 17, 1918)

Ralph, the nine months old son of Mr. and Mrs. William Wilds, died at the family home in Nevada, Mo., Friday night, Oct. 29, 1909, after a brief illness of brain fever. The remains were brought to Adrian Sunday and laid to rest in the Crescent Hill cemetery. The parents have the sympathy of their many friends here in the loss of their only son. (Rich Hill Tribune, Thursday Nov. 11, 1909)

Mrs. Mary Willis, wife of Joe Willis, died yesterday morning at her home here in Pittsburg, after an illness of two months. Mrs. Willis was born in Scotland on Nov. 29, 1852. The family lived in Rich Hill, Mo., for many years but six years ago moved to Pittsburg. She is survived by her husband, a son, Tom, of Pittsburg, three daughters, Mrs. Hanah McMahan of Kansas City, Mo., Mrs. Nellie Burson of Liberal, Mo. and Mrs. Mabel Spraling of Kansas City. Burial will be tomorrow at Rich Hill.

Mrs. Ellen Wilson died Sept. 27, 1921 at the age of 73 years. Ellen Ann Fry was born Feb. 17, 1848 in Pike County, Illinois; she married B. F. Wilson on January 28, 1863. This union was blessed with four children: Frank Wilson of Topeka, Kansas; John Wilson of Des Moines, Iowa; Mrs. Lillie Gillis of Adrian, Mo. and Mrs. Minnie Delavan of near Bronson, Kansas; also ten grandchildren, two brothers and three sisters, one of whom, Mrs. Sarah Limpus of Archie, Mo. was with her at the end. The funeral services were held Sept. 29th at the Christian church in Adrian, with interment in the Crescent Hill cemetery. Pallbearers were Everett and Ray Wilson, Glen Delavan, and Charlie, Walter and Clifton Gillis, all grandsons of the deceased. (Fort Scott Tribune Monitor, Thursday, Oct. 6, 1921)

Mrs. Abner Wix, who formerly lived on the south side in this city, died Wednesday of last week at the home of her son, W. H. Berry, in Nevada, after a long illness. Her body was taken to Appleton City and from there to the Meyers cemetery, near her old home in the eastern part of the county, and buried beside her late husband, Abner Wix. She was aunt by marriage to Hon. Clark Wix and Ben R. Wix, and was highly respected as a good Christian. (The Rich Hill Tribune, Feb. 1, 1906)

Died, at her home in this city, Jan. 25, 1906, Mrs. Mary E. Young, widow of the late Lt. John C. Young, in the 55th year of her age. On Sunday morning, January 21st, Mrs. Young, while about her early morning household duties, was suddenly stricken with paralysis and never regained consciousness to the time of her death. She was a modest, motherly woman, devoted to her home and children, and of course one of best of God's creation. Those who knew her best loved her best, and those who live after her realize their loss, now that she is gone from them. She left surviving five children, four sons and one daughter: R. Cleveland in the railway service, Joseph C., William B, Lamar E. and Mary E. Young, all of whom were with her in her last hours. The funeral was preached by Rev. King Stark last Saturday and the body followed to Green Lawn by a large concourse of sympathizing relatives and friends. (The Rich Hill Tribune, Feb. 1, 1906)

This website created June 13, 2015 by Sheryl McClure.
2015 Missouri American History and Genealogy Project