Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content. Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024 (More info)
Wickenburg obituaries, Maricopa County, Arizona - GenWeb

Wickenburg Obituaries

  A     B     C     D     E     F     G     H     I     J     K     L     M     N     O     P     Q     R     S     T     U     V     W     X     Y     Z

Oct 2, 1936
Funeral services for GEORGE H. BARNEY, age 70, who passed away at his home here Wednesday, were to be held at the Presbyterian church at 4 o'clock this afternoon, with Rev. Reese E. SCULL in charge, and members of the Elks lodge as pallbearers. Mr. Barney has been a resident of Wickenburg for the past five years and of Arizona for over 40 years. He was engaged in the trucking business. A wife and daughter living in California were not expected to be able to attend the services. Two brothers, both of *Octave, and a sister, living in El Paso, Texas, also survive. Burial will take place in the Wickenburg cemetery. Headstone at Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ p. 1

Dec 18, 1936
Funeral services for CHARLES G. BILD, of Vulture, were held at the Coffinger mortuary chapel last Saturday, with Rev. HENSHAW of Salome in charge. Mr. BILD died Wednesday following a lingering illness. He was unmarried and was 68 years old. He was a miner. He is survived by two brothers. Interment was in the Wickenburg cemetery. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ p. 1

Aug 20, 1954 p. 1
George BRANDT Of Aguila Summoned
Graveside services were to be held this morning (Friday) at 9 a.m. in Aguila for George Washington BRANDT, 73, who passed away Monday, August 16, at Community Hospital. Rev G. B. HUTHMACHER of the Church of Christ in Aguila will conduct the services. The body laid in state at Wickenburg Chapel Thursday from 3 to 6 p.m. An Arizona resident for the past 12 years, Mr. BRANDT had lived in Aguila for at least three years. He was born in Missouri. Survivors include a daughter, Mrs. Inez HATCH of Los Angeles. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ

April 3, 1936 p.1
James CAMERON, Resident of Hassayampa Valley For 60 Years. Dies at Ranch
Funeral services for James CAMERON, one of the oldest settlers on the Hassayampa river in point of continuous residence, took place at the Community Presbyterian church Sunday afternoon and were impressive and largely attended. Mr. CAMERON, who first settled on the river at Walnut Grove in 1876, passed away at his home 12 miles above Wickenburg last Friday. He was 87 years old, having been born in February, 1849 in Illinois. He first emigrated to Texas, where he engaged in the cattle business, driving cattle over the Old Chisholm trail and engaging in many fights with the Comanche Indians, who were on the warpath at that time. Upon removing to Arizona he continued in the cattle business, with some interests also in lumbering. His long residence on the river made him familiar with all the residents of the vicinity. The widow, two sons, a daughter, and eight grandchildren survive. The funeral services were presided over by Rev. Reese SCULL. J. R. BARNETTE, a close and long standing friend of Mr. Cameron, gave a scripture reading and obituary at the request of the family. The pall bearers were W. F. MORGAN, Alfred PURDY, Bert SCHOOF, Albert BALDWIN, John BOETTA and George CADY. Burial took place at the Wickenburg cemetery. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ

Jan 31, 1936 p. 8
The unidentified youth who was killed in an auto accident near Aguila January 13, and whose body was held at the Wickenburg Funeral Home for two weeks was claimed last Saturday by Mr. and Mrs. W. J. CARTER of Mesa, who returned the remains to that city for burial. The Carters made five trips to Wickenburg before making final decision that the dead boy was their son, who is alleged to have been on the road for several years but who was said to have visited the parents on the night of January 9. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ

Feb 7, 1936 p. 1
Schools are Dismissed and Teaching Staff Attends Services in Phoenix.
Funeral services were held at 1:30 o'clock Thursday afternoon at Memory chapel of A. L. Moore & Sons, Phoenix for the Rev. Oliver Lee CORBIN, who passed away here Tuesday night after a long illness, at the home of his son, Oliver L. CORBIN, Jr. The Rev. Fred LINE, pastor of the First Congregational church of Phoenix spoke, and two hymns, "O, Love That Will Not Let Me Go" and "O Master, Let Me Walk With Thee" were sung. Burial was in Greenwood Memorial cemetery. The pall bearers were R. S. EIMICKE, J. R. BARNETTE, John O'BRIEN, L. P. JOHNSON, L. F. COOR and H. K. MACLENNAN. The Wickenburg schools were dismissed out of respect to Reverend CORBIN, and the teachers attended the services in a body, as well as many friends of the family in Wickenburg. Mr. CORBIN, who was 72 years old, was born in Highland, West Virginia, and had been a minister in the Congregational church for 45 years at the time of his resignation, three years ago. He and Mrs. CORBIN came to Wickenburg two and one-half years ago from Wichita, Kansas. Mr. Corbin was a graduate of the Theological Seminary at Adrian, Michigan, and a member of the Masonic lodge and the I. O. O. F., holding membership in both lodges at Anthony, Kansas. During his years of service, he was a pastor of churches in Douglas, Wyoming, Creed, Colorado, Buena Park, Perris and San Francisco, Calif.; Anthony, Kansas, Manchester and Waynoka, Oklahoma. The survivors are his wife, Anna B. CORBIN, two sons, George E. of Wichita, Kan., and Oliver L., who has been a teacher here for the past five years; two grandchildren, Joan Lee CORBIN, Los Angeles, and Lee Lelatour CORBIN, Wickenburg, and a brother and two sisters in the east. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ

Jan 3, 1936 p. 1
Popular Musician and W. P. A. Agent Suffers Fatal Attack After New Year Dance
Tragedy trailed the heels of merriment early New Year morning. When CLAUD (SLIM) CRAWLEY well known in Wickenburg as a musician and employment agent for the W.P.A. suffered a sudden hemorrhage after returning from a dance and expired in the arms of his wife at their home six miles west of town. He had been furnishing music for a New Years eve party at a ranch house, and reached his home after midnight. Feeling the attack coming on he went outdoors and there Mrs. CRAWLEY found in a critical state. She was alone with him and little could be done to help his pitiable condition. He passed away murmuring the prayers which Mrs. CRAWLEY repeated as she held the dying man. Funeral services were held Thursday afternoon at the Presbyterian church, conducted by Rev. Reese SCULL, and interment took place in the Wickenburg cemetery. The services were largely attended and many floral offerings were received. The pall bearers were Jesse YOUNGBLOOD, Dr. KAISER, Earl STEWART, Ethel WILMETH, J. F. MAPP and John PERRIN. Claud CRAWLEY was born in Mississippi March 26, 1892. For a numbers of years he followed the trade of oil derrick building and Wickenburg in 1928. His sunny rigging in Texas. He came to disposition and ability as a singer and musician made him a host of friends. He survived by his wife, Bertha, three sisters, living in Denver, Colorado, and a brother in Houston, Texas Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ

   Return to Top

April 24, 1936
Los Angeles Salesman, Father of Eight, Fails to Make Curve at Foot of Overpass at Terrific Rate of Speed
With a song on his lips and his new Dodge sedan humming smoothly at 75 miles per hour, BYRON S. DEXTER, age 36, Los Angeles, father of eight, topped the overpass south of Morristown a little after midnight Monday and zoomed down the incline with the speedometer indicator creeping still higher. The bankless turn at the foot of the ramp was under his wheels before he realized, his hubcap caught a post, and the sedan plunged from the road, turning over six or seven times before it finally came to a stop, far from the road. Dexter was dying as rescuers pulled him from the smashed car, and his passenger, Paul FILING, of Akron, Ohio, was hurt. An unidentified woman tourist tried to give DEXTER first aid while the ambulance was being summoned from Wickenburg and worked heroically to help him, but to no avail. He died, of a crushed chest and abdominal punctures shortly after researching the hospital. The passenger, miraculously, escaped with a few scalp wounds. DEXTER was a salesman of automobile accessories. Witnesses declared he had been traveling the dangerous curves between Wickenburg and Morristown at the same terrific rate of speed with which he tried to cross the overpass.
Body Taken To Los Angeles
Thursday evening, a brother, Byron DEXTER, and father-in-law, W. M. MAUCK, of Los Angeles, accompanied the body back to the coast, where funeral services will be held. The wife of the slain man, it was said, had undergone an operation the previous Saturday, and was unable to leave her bed. The only consoling fact in the sad tragedy was that DEXTER, three months ago had taken out several insurance policies, which were in effect at the time of his death, it was said and which will protect his large family. The injured passenger, FILING, was a rubber worker, from the Ohio city who had gone to Los Angeles to look for work, and had been unable to find it. DEXTER picked him up there to give him a lift on his way back home. The accident was investigated by Highway Patrolman Jack PETERSON who interviewed a motorist who stated that DEXTER had passed him "as though he was standing still", although the motorist was traveling at a rate of 50 miles per hour. No inquest was held. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ p. 1

Nov 12, 1935 p.2
Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ
PRESCOTT, Nov. 9 -- CLARENCE DOWDY, 42, shaftman employed in a mine operated hy Harry K. GROVE near Chloride, fell 75 feet last week in a shaft and died Sunday morning. Only the barest details were learned by relatives here find by a brother and sister-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Roy DOWDY, who arrived this morning from Florence in response to a message. They understand the accident happened a week ago. A 14-year-old son of the accident victim. Clarence DOWDY, Jr., died June 28 in Kingman a few hours after a self-inflicted accidental gun shot wound while hunting near Chloride. Another tragedy in the fami1y occurred in 1921 when a half-brother of Dowdy, Elza PRUITT, was killed in an accident at the Hidden Treasure mine in the Groom Creek district Prescott. Survivors, besides the Florence brothers, are the widow, Pauline, who has been living at Chloride for a year; four children, Mrs. Edith CAMPOS of Prescott, and Jimmy VIOLET and Ray DOWDY of Chloride; two sisters, Mrs. Mae DOWDY of Prescott and Mrs. Vivian SYNES of Octave; brother, Mack DOWDY of Chloride; mother, Mrs. M. F. DOWDY, Octave and a half- brother, Bill ,Pruitt, Octave. Clarence DOWDY was horn in El Paso, Texas, but had lived in Arizona since childhood, the first 20 years Prescott, the rest of the time in *Octave, Kingman and Chloride.

Jan 17, 1939
Mrs. BESSIE DRAPER passed away at the Wickenburg hospital Monday. She is survived by her husband, Albert W. DRAPER, of * Octave, Arizona: parents, Mr. and Mrs. Grover GRAY, Hillside; two sisters, Mrs. Veda CHAPMAN, Prescott; Glenice GRAY of Coolidge dam; brother Grover of Hillside. The body was sent to Prescott yesterday for burial by J. T. Whitney. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ

Apr 10, 1936
Refugio ESCOBEDO, aged 63, of Congress Junction, died at the local hospital after a stroke of apoplexy, suffered while he was working on a road gang. Funeral will take place at the Wickenburg Funeral Home Thursday. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ p. 1

Dec 18, 1936
JOHN ALLEN GIBSON, five-month old son of Mr. and Mrs. John R. GIBSON, of Kansas City, Missouri, died suddenly at a local tourist camp Wednesday, and was buried in the Wickenburg cemetery following services at the Coffinger Mortuary, conducted by Rev. Reese E. SCULL. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ p. 1 Headstone at

April 24, 1936, p. 1
Beautiful services at the Community Presbyterian church marked the last rites for Mrs. Pink Mae Hamilton, of Morristown, who passed away at the Wickenburg hospital Sunday after a long illness. Mrs. HAMILTON had observed her seventy-second birthday the Thursday before she died. The services were conducted by Rev. Reese SCULL. A quartet composed of Mrs. C. O. SHRIDE, Mrs. C. C. BILLINGSLEY, Lester MISSALL and George WENTWORTH sang "Face to Face" and "It Is Well With My Soul." Interment took place in Wickenburg cemetery. Mrs. Hamilton was born in Goodland, Oklahoma, when it was the Indian Territory, April 16, 1863. She came to Morristown in 1921. She is survived by her son and daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Jack HAMILTON, four grandchildren, Jerry, Jean, Jacie and Rupert, all of Morristown and a sister, Mrs. S. T. BURCH of Covington, Okla. Mrs. Ruth THOMPSON of Barstow, California, a sister of Mrs. Jack HAMILTON attended the service. The pall bearers were Floyd WACHTER, W. L. RICHARDS, J. R. BARNETTE, B. C. STRAUGHAN, J. A. ROHRER and Ernest ROBERTS. The services were largely attended, attesting the esteem in which Mrs. HAMILTON was held and there were many beautiful floral offerings. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ

Dec 28, 1945 p. 1
Edward HERHOLD of Chicago, retired furniture manufacturer who came to Wickenburg as a guest at Monte Vista Ranch early last week, died unexpectedly in a Phoenix hospital Saturday noon. He had entered the hospital for observation and treatment of a minor ailment. He died while having lunch with Mrs. HERHOLD at the hospital. Mr. HERHOLD, who was 65 years of age, maintained his residence in Dundee. Illinois, where he had purchased a home built by Rush SMITH, now a resident of Wickenburg, in a real estate development there. Mr. and Mrs. HERHOLD had planned to spend the winter here and were seriously considering establishing their permanent residence in this section. The remains were taken to Chicago Sunday night for burial. Besides the widow, Mrs. Helen HERHOLD, the deceased is survived by a sister, Miss Amelia HERHOLD, also of Chicago. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ

November 27, 1936
Many Wickenburg residents were shocked this morning by news of the death of JIM HOLLAND and the serious injury of Mrs. HOLLAND and the two children, Carl and May Lou, in an automobile accident on Fish Creek hill on the Apache Trail, Mr. Holland was the first manager of the Pay'n Takit store in Wickenburg. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ p. 1

   Return to Top

February 28, 1936
Funeral services for LUELLA CULVER JAYCOX, who died early Thursday morning, will be held at eleven o'clock Saturday morning at the A. L. Chapel in Phoenix with Rev. Reese SCULL conducting the services. Mrs. JAYCOX is survived only by her husband, being the last of her family. She was born Feb. 17, 1859, in Minnesota, and had been a resident of Wickenburg for the past 12 years, where she had a host of friends, drawn to her lovable an energetic character. She was stricken by an attack of pneumonia about four months and confined to the Wickenburg hospital, where she recovered sufficiently to be removed to her home, but she never regained her strength. Mrs. JAYCOX got up earlier in the night to get some medicine and was assisted back to her bed by Mr. Jaycox. She passed away quietly in her sleep. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ

July 24, 1936 p. 1
The many Wickenburg friends and acquaintances of RALPH JONES assistant superintendent of the Albuquerque division of the Santa Fe were shocked this week by the news of his death Wednesday afternoon in a Los Angeles hospital, where he had gone for treatment of a stomach ailment. He had passed through Wickenburg only a few days before. Mrs. Jones' duties gave him supervision of the Santa Fe lines between Ash Fork and Phoenix, including the Parker division and the Jerome branch. He had occupied the position since 1924, following a long series of promotions of the road's service. He began as a rodman. Mr. Jones was 48 years old. His wife and two sons, Ralph Jr., 19, and James, 14, survive. Their home is in Phoenix. Funeral services were held yesterday afternoon in Los Angeles, and burial was to take place in San Francisco. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ

Dec 18, 1936 p.1
Many members of the Wickenburg chapters of the Masonic and Eastern Star lodges attended the last rites for George W. KUNS, veteran Santa Fe employe, held at the Church of the Bretheren in Glendale Wednesday, with Rev. F. H. MILLER, officiating. Following the church service the Masonic ritual was exemplified by the Hassayampa lodge, of which he had been ruler since its organization. Mr. Kuns died suddenly Monday afternoon at Glendale, where with his wife, he had stopped of a load of lettuce. As he started up the car he slumped over the wheel and attempts to revive him failed. Mr. Kuns was 68 years old and had lived in Arizona since 1896. The wife and two daughters survive. At the time of his death Mr. Kuns was section foreman for the Santa Fe Date Creek, where he made his home. He had been employed by the railroad for almost 40 years, and was known and loved by a wide circle of friends. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ (Note: spelling of employe and Bretheren as it is in the obit.)

May 29, 1936 p. 1
Husband is Injured Severely and Car Demolished in Collision With Truck.
ELIZABETH MOYLAN, 23 years old, was killed and her husband, J. S. MOYLAN, was critically injured last Saturday when their new sedan and a truck sideswiped seven miles east of Salome on U. S. Highway 89. C. BRUSH of Harvard City, Calif., the only witness to the accident, declared to W. W. WITT, the investigating highway patrolman, that MOYLAN was traveling at a very high rate of speed and suddenly veered toward the truck, which as east bound. The Moylan car was west bound, the couple being on their way home to Harbor City, California, after making a trip to Baltimore, Maryland, to purchase the car and visit with Mrs. Moylan's family, who live there. The truck, driven by Robert SHELTON of Phoenix, was uninjured, although the truck was knocked off the highway and damaged to the extent of about $300. The Moylan car was spun around by the impact until it faced east, the opposite direction in which it had been traveling. Mrs. MOYLAN was thrown clear of the car, her body cut up horrible. Shelton was exonerated by a coroner's jury. The MOYLAN car was completely demolished. MOYLAN, who was taken to the Salome hospital for treatment and later removed to St. Joseph's hospital in Phoenix, had one leg almost cut off and suffered many cuts and abrasions. It was at first thought it would be necessary to amputate the leg, but it was learned this week that such was not the case, but that he will have to remain in the hospital for several weeks, and possible months. Up until noon Thursday it was not known where nor when Mrs. Moylan's body would be shipped. It was brought to the Wickenburg Funeral Home by Patrolman WITT. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ

   Return to Top

Aug 25, 1939
Passes Away in Wilshire Hospital, Hollywood, Following Brief Illness; Funeral Held Here Monday.
Funeral services were conducted at 6 o'clock Monday evening for, Martha Gertrude PARRISH, 23, who passed away early Friday morning in the Wilshire Hospital, Hollywood, Calif., following a brief illness. When word reached here Thursday that Miss Parrish was critically ill, her mother and sister rushed to her bedside, but the girl never regained consciousness. Death was attributed to cerebral apoplexy, caused, the doctors stated, by high blood pressure. Born at Thebes, Ill., December 17, 1915, Miss PARRISH came to Wickenburg at the age of three years and lived here until entering Gregg's Business school in Phoenix, two years ago. After graduating she worked in Phoenix a year, then obtained a position in the legal department of the RKO studios in Hollywood, eight months ago. She made her home with her aunt, Mrs. Merle Bruce at Hollywood. A multitude of grief-stricken friends of the girl assembled at the Wickenburg Chapel to attend the last rites, which were conducted by the Rev. J. C. MENEFEE, Mrs. Carl SHRIDE and Mrs.. W. C. PAIGE, accompanied at the organ by Mrs. William HELME, sang "The Beautiful Isle of Somewhere." The services were largely attended, attesting the esteem in which the young girl was held, and there were many magnilicent floral offerings. Pallbearers were six of Miss Parrish�s classmates: Johnny FUGATT, Raleigh BARNETTE, Tinao CAMBRES, Charles SHONTZ, Sr., Anthony O'BRIEN and Tom KERKES. In addition to her mother, Mrs. Bob C. STORNS and her father, H.0. PARRISH, she is survived by a sister, Mrs. Willard HOPKINS, all of Wickenburg. A half-sister, Loid Louise PEACE, resides at Decatur, Ill., two aunts, Mrs. Merle BRUCE and Miss Frances HOWELL, of Los Angeles, who were with her when she was stricken, and her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. L. B. GAMEWELL, of Teague, Texas, also survive. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ Interment was made in the Wickenburg cemetery with H. L. COFFINGER in charge.

Oct 22, 1937
Dr. Charles F. Perkins, widely-known Arizona physician and surgeon and author of several works on anatomy and medicine, died early yesterday in a Phoenix hospital after a brief illness. He was 75 years old and had resided in Arizona 14 years. A native of Illinois, Dr. Perkins was associated two years with the Wickenburg Hospital before retiring two years ago because of ill health. Previously he practiced medicine for eight years in Miami and was prominent in fraternal affairs there. He was graduated from Rush Medical college in Chicago and later was an instructor there. He went to Phoenix after the death of his wife, Edith, two years ago. His only survivor is a brother, George, in Iowa. Funeral services will be held at 2 o'clock this afternoon in the Community Presbyterian church, with the Rev. A. G. STEWART, officiating. Interment will be beside his wife in the Wickenburg cemetery. Coffinger's Mortuary will be in charge. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ

Jan 3, 1936 p. 1 & 8
Beautiful Services Mark Last Rites for Beloved Woman at Presbyterian Church
Simple but impressive services marked the last rites for Mrs. Charles F. PERKINS at the Community Presbyterian church Wednesday afternoon. The esteem in which she was held was evidenced by the many magnificent floral offerings and the large number of friends who were present. Mrs. Perkins passed away early Sunday morning following an attack of heart ailment. She had some time previously written out her obituary and directions for the final services, which were carried out according to her wishes. A quartet composed of Mrs. E. B. KELLEY, Mrs. Carl SHRIDE, W. W. SLATER and Oliver CORBIN, sang two hymns selected by Mrs. PERKINS, "Oh Love That Will Not Let Me Go." And "Saviour, Like a Shepherd Lead Us." Rev. Reese SCULL gave scripture readings and the obituary prepared by the deceased giving evidence of deep personal feeling. Mrs. PERKINS was a loyal and valued member of the congregation over which he presides. Following the services interment took place in the Wickenburg cemetery. Bert FOX, Russell JOHNSON, Roy RICHARDS, George WENTWORTH, Dave JONES and W. L. RICHARDS acted as pall bearers, with J. R. BARNETTE as alternate. Mrs. W. J. HELME played many of the old hymns previous to the service and accompanied the quartet. Floyd WACHTER acted as usher. A large number of out of town friends and relatives attended the services, including Dr. and Mrs. Frank B. YOUNG of Long Beach, Calif., Mr. and Mrs. Guy STAFFORD of Los Angeles, Mr. DAVID of Phoenix and sister, Mrs. Philip HARTMAN of Mesa and Dr. and Mrs. Nelson D. BRAYTON and daughter of Miami. EDITH CLARKE PERKINS was born in Macomb, Illinois, July 19, 1870. She was the last of a family of 10. She united with the Christian church at the age of 13. She was married to Dr. Charles F. PERKINS June 5, 1895 in Chicago, Ill. They moved to Miami in 1923 and from there to Wickenburg in 1933. She united with the Community Christian church in March 1934. The funeral arrangements were in charge of Howard Coffinger. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ

August 7, 1936 p. 1
Phoenix, Aug 4. � Bitten on both hands by a sidewinder rattlesnake at her home near Tonopah, Mrs. MAIE MARY SIMMONS, 39 years old, died shortly after 8 o�clock Tuesday morning in the home of a Buckeye physician. Her death followed 24 hours of unceasing work by the physician, a nurse, members of her family, and friends to maintain the tiny spark of life that existed when Mr. and Mrs. Frank SMOTHERS, neighbors, rushed her to Buckeye by automobile. The small treacherous snake struck without warning when Mrs. SIMMONS knelt to gather wood near her home, three miles northwest of Tonopah. She said she pulled the snake�s fangs from her hand and beat the reptile to death with a stick of wood. Then she ran to her home and slashed both hands with a razor to induce bleeding, while one of her daughters, Lois, 12, ran two miles to the Smothers home. Unconscious when neighbors arrived, Mrs. SIMMONS was placed in their automobile and started on the hour-long ride here. Mrs. SMOTHERS kept the injured woman�s hand in a pan of kerosene. Administered a stimulant when she arrived, Mrs. Simmons revived and then the long but futile vigil to save her life was begun. A tourniquet was applied and pressure relieved every 14 minutes and the blood was suctioned from the wounds at regular intervals. She died with her family at her bedside. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ

November 2, 1936 p. 1
Mrs. MAE SELLER, Victim of Tragic Accident
on Mountain Road; Tossed Baby Girl to Safety.
The host of friends of Mrs. MAE OLIVER SELLERS, shocked and saddened by her tragic death Wednesday, were to pay their last respects this afternoon as the remains lay in state from 3 to 6 o�clock at the Coffinger mortuary. Tonight the body will be taken to Mesa, where funeral services will be held at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon, with interment in the Mesa cemetery. Death lashed suddenly at a mother and daughter on steep Wade hill, 10 miles east on the Constellation road shortly after noon Wednesday but mother instinct and mother sacrifice were even quicker and Mrs. Mae SELLERS tossed her child to safety while she herself was caught. When Norman HANSON, stage driver, came upon the spot, little Betty SELLERS, age 2, was sitting by the body of her mother, pinned beneath the automobile, patting the cold face and sobbing "Mother�s asleep, mother�s asleep." Mother and daughter had started to visit R. P. SELLERS, father-in-law about 11 o�clock Wednesday morning. Mrs. Sellers was driving the father-in-law's car, an Essex roadster. Hanson, who with his wife and two children had been delivering the mail to Constellation, passed the spot at 12:30. Returning at 1 o�clock they came upon the pitiful scene. Hanson, after ascertaining that life was extinct, at once turned back and brought Mr. Sellers and his son Tom, who lived a quarter mile away from the scene. They jacked up the overturned car and pulled the body of Mrs. Sellers from beneath it. While Tom remained with the body Hanson and Mr. Sellers rushed to Wickenburg with the baby. Highway Patrolman Jack PETERSON and Judge Bob STORNS were notified. The sheriff of Yavapai county, Bob ROBERTS, and Justice of the Peace John CONNERY of Congress were summoned and the official party went to the scene of the accident, accompanied by the Coffinger ambulance and the Wales wrecking car.
Babe Falls to Safety
At the scene a coroner�s jury was impaneled and an investigation conducted. As far as could be determined, Mrs. Sellers was descending the hill, where the road is very steep, dangerous and crooked, when the car apparently began to get out of control because of loose grave or brake failure. The mother either tossed the babe from the car and attempted to follow, or tried to get out with the child in her arms. The car rode up the steep cliff a short distance and then fell back on it side, pinning Mrs. Sellers beneath it on the road and crushing her across the chest. The baby sustained bruises and a slight cut on the head. The car was practically undamaged, and when tested out by Dick WALES, was found to have fair brakes. The gear shift lever was in reverse when it stopped. A verdict of death by accident was returned. The husband, Clarence SELLERS, local agent for the Standard Oil company, went to the scene with the official party and was almost prostrated by the frightful tragedy. Later he rallied and was meeting the shock courageously. The remains were brought to the Coffinger mortuary. Neighbors and friends rallied quickly to the support of the stricken family until relatives could be notified. Mrs. SELLERS was 34 years old,. Besides the baby Betty, there are two other children, Gail 11, and Jimmy, 10 years old. In addition to the immediate family, the father and mother, Mrs. And Mrs. Franklin D. JOHNSON, of Mesa, survive, also a sister, Mrs. Mabel ROSE, of Phoenix and four brothers, Lew, Howard, William and Walter all of Mesa. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ

Jan 17, 1936
C. F. SULLIVAN, a former resident of Wickenburg and well remembered by many friends here, died Sunday at the Good Samaritan hospital in Phoenix. Funeral services were held at the St. Francis church with interment in St. Francis cemetery.Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ

Jan 17, 1936, p. 1
F. E. Timmerman of Lincoln, Nebraska, died of diabetes Tuesday night in the Wickenburg hospital. He is survived by his wife, and one son, Douglas, of Lincoln, who came here last week to be with his father and mother. Mr. TIMMERMAN, who was 60 years old, had been interested in the mining business in Arizona, and was joined by his wife for the holidays. The body is in charge of the Wickenburg Funeral Home and will be shipped to Lincoln for burial. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ

Jan 31, 1936 p. 1
Mrs. F. E. Timmerman, Western Nebraska, died Wednesday night in the Wickenburg hospital, where she has been a patient for several weeks, suffering with cancer. Her husband, who has been interested in mining work in this state, died on January 15. Both were in the hospital almost from the time Mrs. Timmerman joined her husband here for the holidays. A son, Douglas TIMMERMAN, went back to Nebraska with his father�s body. Mrs. Douglas TIMMERMAN will leave Friday night with Mrs. TIMMERMAN�s body for Western Nebraska, where burial will take place. Mrs. TIMMERMAN was 54 years old. The Wickenburg Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements. Note: Mrs. Timmerman�s given name was Lovina, information from her Death Certificate at website Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ

   Return to Top

Feb 7, 1936 p. 1
Funeral services for Hugo WALTERS, 33, who died Tuesday from the effect of injuries received in an accident at the Humboldt smelter at Humboldt, were held this afternoon at the Presbyterian church, Rev. Reese SCULL officiating. Mr. WALTERS is survived by a brother, living at Vulture camp and a sister, Mrs. CRABB, living in Wickenburg. He was engaged in wrecking a mill Monday and fell from a scaffold a distance of 35 feet. He was rushed to a hospital at Prescott, where he passed away the next day. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ

March 20, 1936 p. 1
A military funeral under the auspices of the Hassayampa post of the Veterans of Foreign Wars was accorded Harry WALTON, age 48, employee of the Vulture mill, who died at the Wickenburg Hospital Wednesday after a short illness with pneumonia. Mr. WALTON was unmarried and no relatives were known. Funeral services were conducted from the Wickenburg Funeral home, with many members of the post present. At the cemetery a short service was said by Reverend SHOOK, and the committal service of the V. F. W. read by Commander J. E. WATSON and Chaplain Frank BARTEE. A firing squad composed of Comrades ROBERTS, BALDWIN and ALLEN fired a last salute over the grave. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ

Feb 21, 1936
Funeral services for MYRON WEBB, who passed away Thursday morning at a Phoenix hospital, were held this morning at the home three miles south of town on the Phoenix road, conducted by Rev. Reese SCULL. Interment took place on the homestead. The father, Ernest WEBB, survives. Myron WEBB came here two years ago and had made many friends in Wickenburg. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ

August 21, 1936 p. 3
Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at the Presbyterian church for Mrs. Earnest WHEAT, who passed away last Friday afternoon at her home here after a short illness. Surviving Mrs. Wheat are her husband and four children., Burta Lee, Burton, Bonnie and Janie; also three brothers living in Wickenburg, Nathan G. SLADE, W. B. BOND and A. W. BOND. The mother and father, another brother and three sisters reside in Mississippi. Mrs. WHEAT came to Wickenburg from Gulfport three months ago. Mr. Wheat is employed at the Wickenburg Ice Co. Many beautiful floral offerings attested the esteem in which Mrs. Wheat was held. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Reese E. SCULL. Interment took place in the Wickenburg Cemetery. Wickenburg Sun, Wickenburg, AZ

Home Page Many Thanks to Sharon for transcribing and contributing these obituaries to AZGenWeb.

Rootsweb : Genforum : More AZ Obituaries : Birth Certificates to 1931 : Death Certificates to 1956 : Contact Us

Your AZGENWEB State Coordinator is Mike Jarvis and your Assistant State Coordinator is Gail Meyer Kilgore if either of us can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to email us.

© Copyright AZGenWeb 2004.
AZGENWEB-MARICOPA CO., ARIZONA: In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the internet, data may be used by non-commercial researchers, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may not be reproduced in any format for profit, nor for presentation in any form by any other organization or individual. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for purposes other than as stated above, must obtain express written permission from the author, or the submitter and from the listed Maricopa Co. Coordinator.

Website template design by: