→ Eagle Eye Cemetery
- Apache Junction
Apache Junction is located at the junction of US 60 (Superstition Freeway), US 89, and State Highway 88 (historically known as the Apache Trail). It is approximately 35 miles east of Phoenix and straddles both the Pinal and Maricopa county lines at the base of the Superstition Mountains. Read the writings of Tom Kollenborn and the legendary Superstition Mountains.
located about 40 miles west of Phoenix. Population was 470 in the 2000 census but is over 600 in 2008.
Avondale is located approximately 15 miles west of downtown Phoenix with the city of Tolleson on the east, the city of Litchfield Park on the north, the city of Goodyear on the west and the Sierra Estrella Mountains to the south.
→ Holy Cross Cemetery
→ Litchfield Cemetery
→ Liberty Cemetery
Buckeye is located approximately 30 miles west of downtown Phoenix and covers nearly 600 square miles, stretching north to the town of Wickenburg, south to the town of Gila Bend, east to the Hassayampa River, and west to Perryville Road. It is on the southwestern edge of Maricopa County and has a majestic view of the White Tank Mountains from almost every vantage point.
- Cave Creek
- El Mirage
Was a hay-loading station on the railroad and was located south of what is now West Elliot Road between North Arizona Avenue and South McQueen Road.
Its name was a contraction of alfalfa, which was widely grown around those parts.
Arizona Place Names, by Will Banes.
- Fort McDowell
In 1865, the army sent a small force of 300 volunteers from California to establish Fort McDowell. Fort McDowell was located 18 miles east of Cave Creek. One year after the Californians arrived, a regular army infantry unit settled into Fort McDowell. For 15 more years, skirmishes, ambushes, and bloody confrontations raged between the soldiers and the Tonto Apaches.
- Fountain Hills
Fountain Hills owes its origin to a lake that never came to be. As part of the Central Arizona Project, construction of Orme Dam, near Granite Reef Dam, would have created a lake at the Fort McDowell Indian Reservation. Robert P. McCULLOCH envisioned a community of 70,000 people similar to one of McCulloch Properties’ other master-planned communities - Lake Havasu City.
The lake would have flooded the homes of Fort McDowell residents. The Yavapai and environmentalists defeated the dam proposal, but the town of Fountain Hills had begun. The development was marketed with a “fly-before-you-buy” sales program, beginning in 1972. Prospective buyers were flown in from Midwestern and Eastern cities to tour the desert ridges in white Jeeps and select their properties.
The 560-foot-high “World’s Highest Fountain” was the concept of C.V. WOOD, Jr., a planner for McCulloch Properties, Inc., who had worked with Walt Disney on designing Disneyland. It was built to attract attention and buyers. It was turned on for the first time on December 15, 1970, the “birthday” of Fountain Hills. Today, the population is around 24,000, with build-out expected at around 35,000 residents.
- Gila Bend
The town of Gilbert is sandwiched between the city of Chandler and the city of Mesa. It is six miles southeast of Mesa and 22 miles southeast of downtown Phoenix.
Glendale is one of Arizona's largest cities. It is located 9 miles northwest of downtown Phoenix and covers 52 square miles.
→ Glendale Memorial Park Cemetery
Goodyear is located about 17 miles west of downtown Phoenix and covers nearly 115 square miles.
→ Goodyear Farms Cemetery
→ History of Estrella Mountain
Incorporated in 1975, Guadalupe is sandwiched between the cities of Tempe and Phoenix and has a population of about 5,000 residents. Guadalupe is rich in Hispanic and Yaqui Indian culture.
Kaka is a small town in the far southeastern corner of Maricopa County, about 115 miles from Phoenix. It is on one of the non-contiguous sections of the Tohono O'odham Reservation.
According to Arizona's Names: X Marks the Spot, by Byrd Howell Granger, Father Kino visited the village in 1698 and called it El Gaga.
Ka is a Pima word meaning "a clearing for a field." Kaka is the plural.
Lehi is a thriving settlement in bottom lands along the Salt River three miles northeast of Mesa. First known as Camp Utah, or Utahville, for years it was called Jonesville, but finally the post office name of Lehi was attached.
- Litchfield Park
The city is very small compared to most in the Valley of the Sun, covering only about three square miles.
→ Cemetery transcription Litchfield Park Cemetery
The city of Mesa is sandwiched between several city and towns in the East Valley. The City of Tempe is to its west, both the city of Chandler and the town of Gilbert are to the south, the Salt River Indian Community is to the north, and the city of Apache Junction is to the northeast. It is approximately 12 miles southeast of downtown Phoenix.
→ See Libraries
Mesa City Cemetery transcription
Eagle Scout Project of Christopher Beeson.
→ Cemetery transcription
- New River
- Palo Verde
- Paradise Valley
Peoria is one of the largest cities in Arizona both in land area and population. The town is located 15 miles northwest of downtown Phoenix in the West Valley. It covers 117 square miles.
- Queen Creek
Queen Creek was incorporated in 1989 and is in the far southeast corner of Maricopa County. In fact, part of the corporate town limits actually fall inside of Pinal County.
- Rio Verde
Paradise Memorial Gardens Cemetery
Eagle Scout Project of Derek Shields.
- Sun City
Established and built by the Del Webb Corp. in 1960, it is the largest retirement community in this or any other nation. The community is age-restricted with the requirement that one resident must be at least 55 years of age and no permanent resident under the age of 19.
- Sun City West
- Sun Lakes
For about six months every year, a large population of winter visitors resides in unincorporated east Mesa as well as the master-planned community of Sun Lakes south of Chandler.
The first settlers to move to the Tempe area, south of the Salt River and east of Phoenix, were Hispanic families from southern Arizona. In 1872, some of these Mexican settlers founded a town called San Pablo east of Tempe Butte.
Another settlement, known as Hayden's Ferry, developed west of Tempe Butte.
Both settlements grew quickly and soon formed one community. The town was named Tempe in 1879 by "Lord" Darrell Duppa who said the sight of the butte, the wide river and the nearby expanse of green fields, reminded him of the Vale of Tempe in ancient Greece.
→ Online Double Butte Cemetery
- Tortilla Flat
→ Wickenburg Sun Obituaries
→ Cemetery transcription
→ Cemetery Cemetery
If you have a suggestion or something you'd like to contribute, please
You can find the old Maricopa County Pages here:
Your AZGENWEB State Coordinator is Gail Meyer Kilgore and your Assistant State Coordinator is
Project Coordinator is Judy Wight Branson, and the Maricopa County Coordinator is Pat Wilson. If any of us can be of assistance please do not hesitate to email us.
© Copyright AZGenWeb 2004.
AZGENWEB-MARICOPA CO., ARIZONA: In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the internet, data may be used by non-commercial researchers, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may not be reproduced in any format for profit, nor for presentation in any form by any other organization or individual. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for purposes other than as stated above, must obtain express written permission from the author, or the submitter and from the listed Maricopa Co. Coordinator.