Written by Linda Temple Acrey
Daughter of Mary Louise and W. D. Temple
"So all can be remembered"
October 14, 2000

Thanks, Linda

                                  A REASON TO REMEMBER                    

 My grandfather who was Dock Harper (1888-1953) grew up at Tomberlin and England, Arkansas, having moved into Lonoke County from Floyd in White, County.  Among his memories was camping at Central on the way to Tomberlin.  He was six years old and the year was 1894.  Dock was the name his older brothers and sisters had given to him, as it was necessary to have the doctor come for his birth.  Dock Harper was to have been named Pleas Loyd in honor of his grandfather, a CSA veteran of the 36th Arkansas who actually made it home but died soon afterward leaving a motherless little girl.  The little orphan girl, Mary Ann Loyd, who became Dock's mother, was raised by her grandmother, Mary Price, whose husband, Fielding Price had died in the Yankee Prison in Little Rock.  Times were terribly hard for them.  Dock's dad, James Thomas Harper, was also a CSA veteran of the 5th Tennessee left with a bad leg after having been wounded at the Battle of Shiloh in April of 1862.  After his first wife died in Jackson,  Tennessee he brought four of his five children to Arkansas with him.  In Searcy on July 4, 1883, he married Mary Ann Loyd Allen who already had a young son herself,  Benny.  Jim Harper stood six feet tall, had red hair and a beautiful singing voice. Mary Ann stood right at five feet and always called Jim "Mr. Harper".  They would have a houseful of kids and not a whole lot else except for pride, hard work ethic, and a belief that you should trust in the Lord. These were good Baptist folks.  Jim Harper was already, 48, when Dock was born so Dock and his brother, James Claude, had to go to the fields and plow from the time they were very small children.  The Harper family raised five little boys in addition to their own brood.  They lost two daughters, Cecile and Oberah, in the, 1918, flu epidemic.  Oberah died calling for her beloved sister,  Cecile, not knowing that Cecile had died the week before.  Little Harry who was the youngest son, died from typhoid fever while visiting his older half sisters in Little Rock.  When young Harry died during a hot summer, his little footprints could still be found in the dust long after he gone.  Besides Dock, James Claude who was always called Claude,  Clydie Bell, and Mag (a short name for Margaret) reached adulthood in England, Arkansas.  Claude married Ila Bradley. Clyde married Marion Massie and Mag married Lee Buffalo.
Dock did not marry until later in life at the age of 28.  Then, he married Ethel Adams Pond, the daughter of Joe B. and Ella Adams of England (a young widow) and the little sister of his childhood friend, Marcus, who had died with the swamp fever in 1910. They married in 1920 and were over the years blessed with three daughters, Mary Louise (1924),  Margaret Ann (1929) and Betty Jo (1931). Dock was 5ft. 11 and Ethel was exactly a foot shorter, standing 4ft. 11.  Dock was fair and blonde with an Irishman's pug nose.   Ethel had an olive complexion with high cheekbones, big brown eyes and dark hair that would turn silver by the time she was 30 years old.  They loved each other dearly.  Ethel died of a broken heart as much as heart trouble only two years after Dock's death.
One of Dock Harper's greatest wishes was for his children to have an education.  He was a person who valued an education and had none.  That is probably the reason the Harper girls all finished high school at Stuttgart.  Dock was the president of the Isbell Township school district back in the 1930's that covered the communities of Geridge, Snake Island, and Brummitt in southeastern Lonoke County. All the teachers were paid with checks that were backed by real money.  (The teacher could get real money and not have to take a discount when cashed as was the custom of the 1930's.)  The value of an education was passed on to his grandchildren through his daughters. Of Dock and Ethel Harper's seven grandchildren, all have advanced schooling with four of the seven having completed a four-year college diploma.  Of the four girls who were their grandchildren, three became schoolteachers.  Dock also believed in taking an interest in politics. He was a staunch Democrat and always voted.  In many of the elections, he worked the polls.  Dock always said, "If you don't vote, don't squawk."  He truly believed in being a good citizen.  As he lay dying, the sin of omission was his greatest regret.  It was not the things he had done, but the things that were left undone that worried him the most.  One of Dock's fondest wishes was to live to see the paved highway come through Brummitt, Arkansas that is in the southeastern most part of Lonoke County just prior to crossing the Bayou Meto Bridge.  It did not happen.  Dock died of heart trouble in 1953 before the age of really good health care and before the nice easy riding road could be built.    
Sometimes what a person leaves, as a lasting legacy is not silver and gold, but a way of life. That is what Ethel and Dock Harper did.  That showed in their daughters, grandchildren and even great grandchildren who are starting to show real promise.  This is a tribute to a hard working family man.  Not only did he love his family, but also his community and nation. Dock was an active community leader without thought of why, but just because it needed to be done.  He was also very patriotic and led by good example. He considered himself to be just a normal person, but actually was much more.  Dock Harper has now been dead for forty-seven years and his wife  Ethel for forty- five,  But I still remember my grandparents with their kind and gentle ways. A good name lives long after the soul has passed on to its reward, and that is so very true for Ethel and Dock Harper. They are both buried in Mulberry Cemetery out from England, Arkansas near their parents, family members and friends from long ago.

Andrew Jackson Clements

My great-grandfather, "A. J." Clements, was born in New Hartford, Illinois to Abner B. Clements and Susan Brown Clements on February 15, 1851. His father was a riverboat pilot on the Mississippi. He had two brothers, James Franklin and Charles Eugene, and two sisters, twins Lenora and Senora. His mother died when he was six years old. His father remarried, and they had eight additional children.

A. J. had an adventurous childhood traveling to and from Illinois and Tennessee where family lived. His stepmother’s father was Lewis Adams, a minister in Tennessee. I am sure he learned many morals and developed his character while listening to sermons from this wise and respected man.

On April 5, 1870, at the age of nineteen, he married Susan Lucinda Galbreath, the daughter of Dr. James and Nancy Adams Galbreath in Tipton County, Tennessee. They had three daughters: Minnie, Mittie and Nannie. Shortly after my Grandmother Nannie’s birth in 1876, the family moved to Lonoke, Arkansas.

A newspaper ad gives the next clue to his whereabouts as well as his personality. Dated August 9, 1880, it read, "Clements and Wilson est. 1873 Dry Goods and Groceries. Mr. Jack Clements is the clerk, whose smile the customers will catch upon entering their store on Center Street." The little family was happy and prospering in this new community.

The following years brought many changes. Susan died and was buried in Lonoke City Cemetery. A. J. married her sister, Mattie Florence, in 1882. A new family was started. Grace, Lettice, Andrew Jackson, Jr., and Floy were born, making a total of seven children. Success in business mingled with personal loss. A. J. started a lumber business—Lonoke was building up literally.

Sadly, little Grace died. My Great-grandfather was a member of the Methodist church, and I am sure his faith in God sustained him during this difficult time. Several years later in 1911, his daughter, Nannie, would name her daughter (my mother) Grace Clements.

Jack, as his friends called him, decided he was going to use his own lumber, and built the Majestic Hotel in Lonoke, employing many citizens in this grand little hotel according to newspaper write-ups. He must have been very happy; his brother James F. Clements was the mayor of Lonoke, and much of his family had moved to Lonoke including many cousins from Tennessee.

With his successes, there was more personal loss. His father, Abner Clements, died; that grand old man who was such an adventurer. He had traveled the Mississippi River for thirty-five years, which included those of the Civil War. He had left his inheritance in Tennessee to his brother and had set off to unexplored territory in Illinois. He had raised his children to be strong, hardworking, God-fearing men and women. Lettice, his beautiful daughter, died as well as his beloved brother, James.

His hotel prospered, and his children adored their "Papa." Minnie Clements King, a widow, helped her father run the hotel. Mittie Clements Crumpton lived in Nashville and had three children—their descendants live in various states. Nannie Clements Corn had three children—two survived. Her "Papa’s" namesake, Jack, died in infancy. Nannie owned her own millinery shop in Lonoke.

Jack Jr. took over the Majestic Hotel. He was married but had no children.

Floy Clements became a successful actress in musical theater on Broadway, where her stage name was Melissa F. Crosman. She had married Forrest Crosman in lived in New York City. She left money in her will to the City of Lonoke for the care of her father’s grave.

My great-grandfather died on January 18, 1919 in Lonoke from complications of chronic nephritis and influenza.

It has been said that as long as one is remembered, they are never really gone. I have included just one of many write-ups that were done at my great-grandfather’s passing.

Submitted by Dr. William R. Boone, Jr.

Thanks, Dr. William

March 5, 2002

Daniel Ratcliffe Boone

It is my privilege to write about my family in Lonoke; one of its early pioneers. My great grandfather was Daniel Ratcliffe Boone. He arrived in Arkansas sometime before 1883 and served the town and its people, ministering to the town's needs at a time when doctors were scarce and money was not plentiful. He was known simply as Doc Boone to the townsfolk during those times and was well known in business and civic circles until his death at the age of 69, June 9, 1923.

He began life in Hernando, DeSoto County, Mississippi on September 11, 1854. His family had themselves been pioneers of early Mississippi, arriving from Johnston County, North Carolina in 1830. He was named for his grandfather, General Daniel Boone, a planter who brought his family to the Mississippi territory during the great western migration after the Choctaw land treaties made land available to the early settlers. His grandfather was prominent during his life as one of a small group of Baptist civic leaders who established Wake Forest College, and also establishing the Baptist Church in Hernando. Dan's father was Capt. William J. A.. Boone who attended Wake Forest's first class and married Dan's mother Augusta Ann White in Goldsboro, North Carolina. Dan's older sister was Louise Miller Boone. She too came to Lonoke after her brother, later to marry Capt. Pat Wheat upon the death of his second wife, Ms. Reynolds. Louise was a devoted wife who proved to be a blessing to him in his last years.

Dan's earliest memories must have been of war ravaged Mississippi during and after the Civil War. His father had been commander of Company D in the First Mississippi Regiment and had suffered injuries during the numerous campaigns he fought, ending at his capture at Fort Donnellson. His 1st Lieutenant was none other than Lemuel Hall, M.D. who was to become Lonoke's first physician a couple of decades after the war. In fact, Capt. Boone permanently settled in Lonoke in 1884 perhaps invited by Dr. Hall before the arrival of his son Dan.

He remained in Lonoke until his death July 13, 1885 at his son's home of what was then termed a "malignant carbuncle" Dr. Hall cared for his medical needs, even providing him a space in his family plot at the new City Cemetery where he now rests besides Dr. Hall and his son.

When Dan arrived in Arkansas he had been a widower following the untimely death of his first wife, Anna Moore Jones in 1877. His daughter by this marriage, Eulalie Lee Boone was now grown and married. Alone and unencumbered he moved about teaching school in Texas before his move to the new town of Lonoke to be near his father and establish a pharmaceutical business. It wasn’t long after he arrived that he struck up a close relationship, with Martha (Mattie) Jane Munroe, one of 9 daughters of Major and Mrs. L. W.. Munroe. He was he was 31 and she 19.

Major Munroe was a respected and wealthy businessmen and land owner in the county. After the Civil War he loaned money to many people in Prairie County in need when there was a shortage of capitol for farmers and merchants to recoup loses. His reputation was held high in the community. Even the original tree that was the town's namesake stood in his front yard. No doubt he was suspicious when a newly arrived, unemployed early middle aged widower from Mississippi took an interest in one of his teenaged daughters. He was not eager for anyone to take his daughter's hand in marriage that couldn't provide adequately for her as she was accustomed. As dowries were still common practice in 19th century America, perhaps he couldn’t help but be suspicious of his motives. He was philosophical and pragmatic and must surely have known that he couldn't hold his daughters indefinitely. It was good that he was well off as he was because he gave a substantial sum for all his children. In resignation he advised someone moving to Brownsville that the town was to blame for giving him 9 daughters and no sons. He was said, "if you live and drink the water in Brownsville you'll only have daughters"!

As he was sure that he would not get the Major's approval Dan, Mattie and several of the townsfolk hatched a plot. When the date of the secret elopement arrived a lookout was posted to watch Mr. Munroe as he walked home for lunch and a nap. During his afternoon absence Dan and Martha were quietly married. When he discovered their betrothal after the fact it was said he exclaimed, "Ah....that man from Mississippi....when he’s done with her he'll probably throw her in the Mississippi River"! All worked out well in the end. The families were close and had worked together in many ventures. Dan Boone's son (Dan Munroe Boone) would be involved in settling Mr. Munroe's estate after his death in 1911.

Dan Boone's earliest business relations in Lonoke was with F. G.. Swaim, whom he co-partnered with by 1883 as the town was in need of a druggist. This announcement was made in the paper on April 19, 1883.

Swaim and Boone, Having opened a new drug store on North main Street, three doors west of A.G. Ragland's store.  All kinds of goods generally kept in the drug store.  As cheap as the cheapest.  All we ask is give us a trial. Swaim & Boone, Lonoke ***********Arkansas.

Brownsville was still a viable but fading town after the railroad came through Lonoke. Many people were already moving in to town while Mr. Boone quietly and ambitiously built his business. The first store was located in a small wooden building at the site was to become the Bank of Central Arkansas. The drug store was such a success that he bought out Mr. Swaim's interest in 1893. He sold many popular tonics and potions that were the rage at the time. Advertisements in the paper of 1890 extolled the benefits of:

Try Boone's Bilious Buttons *******

"C. C. C.. Certain Chill Cure" is pleasant to take and harmless. Children like it.  Guaranteed to cure Chills and Fever.  Large bottles 50 cents.  *******

His business prospered well that he would eventually build his brick building on Front Street. An ad in the news on March 30, 1905 proudly announced:

The work on the new store houses of Joe P. Eagle and D. R.. Boone is progressing rapidly, the second story wall being about completed. Such structures make a wonderful improvement in the view of the business part of town and we hope at no great distance in the future to see every building on the corner of Main and South Front street of some such material and proportions.

And on April 20, 1905:  The brick masons have completed their work on the new storehouses of Joe P. Eagle and Dan R. Boone on South Front street and the carpenters are busy with the inside work. In the fronts of the buildings, just above the second story, each firm has its name in gilt letters on a white marble background. These will be the handsomest storehouses between the cities of Little Rock and Memphis when completed.

The Grand Opening was May 25, 1905.

Today the building has been lovingly kept by Mr. Boyette and enjoys the status as being listed in the National Historic Register.

Dan and Martha built their home on Front St. which stood until a fire claimed it in the early 1950's. It was in this home that their 6 children were born; Dan Jr., Louise, Wellington, Lem, William, and Allie Mae Boone. Louise would marry James Boyd whose family were longtime Lonoke residents. Dan would marry into the Laferty family from Little Rock. Lem would marry my grandmother Ledora Couch. Allie Mae would marry James Abraham. William Boykin Boone never married as his life was cut short at the age of 21 during World war I.

Dan Boone was elected Mayor in 1889 and served until 1892. Among the many ordnances that were passed to make the town more civil was one that was personal. Dan would take a nap leaning his chair against the drug store covered by his newspaper. Animals which roamed the streets freely were a constant nuisance. One afternoon while napping, a goat running down the boardwalk knocked him out of his chair from behind sending him clattering to the walk. An ordinance was passed banning stray animals.

He continued to serve the community as President of the Central Bank of Arkansas and the Lonoke School Board. His son Lemuel White Boone joined him in partnership following his graduation from Tulane University Pharmacy College. Aside from time spent during WW I he saw the drug store prosper. His surviving children; eldest son, Dan Jr. became a banker in Little Rock, Louise married James Boyd and lived in Phoenix, Arizona, and Allie Mae married James B. Abraham, both were a noted teachers and educators.

When Daniel Ratcliffe Boone died of cancer in June 1923 the Lonoke Democrat reported:

A large number of people attended the funeral and not only was the large residence filled with relatives and friends, but the lawn contained more than a hundred people who had come to pay their last respects to the deceased. Many floral offerings gave evidence of the sincere friendship and esteem in which the deceased was held in the minds of his neighbors and acquaintances. A long line of automobiles followed the remains to Lonoke Cemetery, which were the last earthly resting place of one of Lonoke's loyal citizens and a friend to the needy.

Submitted by: Juanita Ann Booth

Thanks, Juanita

Adeline Perry Wooley


Adeline (Addie) Perry Wooley was born in Lonoke County near Cabot Arkansas  Oct, 28 in the late 1800s.  She died Feb, 1959, in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Submitted by: Juanita Ann Booth

Thanks, Juanita

Hubert Perry Wooley


Hubert Perry Wooley was born in Lonoke County about three miles from Cabot, Arkansas on Nov. 13, 1904. He died Nov. 17, 1970 in Jacksonville, Arkansas. His father name was Edwin or Edward Wooley his mother was Adeline (Addie) Perry also from that area. His father died when he was about 13 of rupture appendix.  His mother lived to 87 years.  She died in February, 1959, in Little Rock, Arkansas.  Hubert as a young boy was nicknamed Peanut because of size which even though he grew always stayed with him.

Submitted by: Cam Pyburn

Thanks Cam



William H. Pyburn: Prominent among the citizens of Lonoke County is William H. Pyburn.  a native of Arkansas, born in Monroe (now Prairie) County on March 11, 1840 and a son of Richard and Nancy (Kellem) Pyburn, formerly of  Missouri and Kentucky respectively. Richard Pyburn came to Arkansas in 1823, and located at Indian Bay on the White River where he engaged in the mercantile business.  Also following the occupation of steam boating, and piloted the first boat up the White River, he became a very popular citizen, and represented Prairie County in the General Assembly of Arkansas His death which occurred in 1855 at Pyburn's Bluff was deeply felt by the entire community.

Submitted by, William Radcliffe Boone

1756 Lake Breeze Dr.
Rockwall, Texas 75087
A-United States

Thanks, William

Family of Nicholas Boon


Family of Nicholas Boon who arrived in Isle-of-Wight County, Virginia sometime before 1670. Though his English roots and route of immigration are not clear much research by other Boon family descendants is ongoing. It is therefore recommended that you bookmark this page and check back from time to time as it is in constant evolution.

The son of Nicholas, Thomas Boon, who was born about 1648, arrived in the Virginia Colony around 1663. Thomas marries Elizabeth Ratcliffe, daughter of a prominent Virginia family, and lives in the Isle of Wight County or Southampton County area of Virginia. It is yet unknown how many children Nicholas had or his wife name, but the genealogy of Thomas has been fairly well documented. I will stay with the line that eventually immigrated to settle during the early 19th century in Virginia, then Arkansas, and finally Texas.

One of Thomas and Elizabeth's children, Joseph Boon was born about 1677. He married Anne Axtell, daughter of David Axtell, in 1714 in Chowan County N.C., and lived in eastern North Carolina. His family was one of the early pioneers of North Carolina, and specifically Johnston County.

One of his children, Joseph Boon II was a prominent planter in Boon Hill of Johnston County with his wife Mary. His son, Joseph Boon III rose to prominence serving as a Colonel during the Revolutionary war, State representative and ultimately Senator of North Carolina at the time of the ratification of the United States Constitution. He had many children with his wife Sarah Bass. His son General Daniel Boon too was a prominent figure of the time. He too was a large landholder. He was one of the founders of Wake Forest College and a member of its first Board of Regents. His first two sons, William and Joseph, were in the first class in the early 1830's.

Daniel married Sarah Boykin whose father Major Simon Boykin, was a noted officer in the Revolutionary War. They traveled with their children and slaves to the newly opened Mississippi Territory to settle in DeSoto County, Mississippi around 1835.  A staunch and prominent Baptist, he was a founding member of Hernando's Baptist Church. The church's' archives preserve his legacy.

Daniel and Sarah had many children whose numbers are posted here. His oldest son William John Abner Boon was my great-great grandfather. He had a large plantation in DeSoto County, served in the Mississippi legislature, and organized the "DeSoto Gray's" to become Company D of the First Mississippi Regiment under General Beale. He was wed in North Carolina to the daughter of Edward White, Augusta Ann at the young age of 16. After their move to Hernando she bore him several children, one of whom was my great grandfather, Daniel Ratcliffe Boone. His generation added the "e" to the last name to give its present spelling.

Daniel was a pharmacist, schooled at Tulane and University of Arkansas, settled in Lonoke County, Arkansas sometime before 1885. He married one of 13 daughters of Major Lewis Wellington Munroe, a wealthy and prominent landowner, merchant, and financier.

Daniel married Martha Jane (Mattie) Munroe while Major Munroe was taking his customary afternoon nap as he was not in favor of a Mississippian to wed his daughter. A lookout was posted to alert the couple should the Major awaken early and return to his office. As he napped they were joined in union. They were a pioneer family in Lonoke raising a fine family. He was one of Lonoke' early mayors and was president of Arkansas National Bank, and a superintendent of Lonoke's Public Schools. His Drug store still stands in old downtown Lonoke with his initials displayed D. R.. Boone. Among his five children was my grandfather, Lemuel White Boone. Lem was in the class of 1912 of Tulane University's School of Pharmacy. He took over Boone Drugs after his father's death in 1922.

Submitted by, Rosa Cline
Thanks, Rosa

Mary Belle Case

Descendants of Mary Belle Case

Generation No. 1

1. MARY BELLE2 CASE (ANDREW JACKSON "JACKSON"1) was born July 30, 1892 in Fallsville, Newton County, Arkansas, and died June 01, 1924 in Lonoke County, Arkansas. She married ANDREW HILEY "HILEY" COFFELT in Johnson County, AR (possibly Oark), son of JOHN COFFELT and CLEOPATRA WILLIS. He was born November 30, 1887 in Arkansas, and died October 04, 1974.

Notes from Otis McElhaney says:

Hamilton Cemetery, Carlisle, Lonoke County, Arkansas: Section C, Row 14, Grave 48, Deceased ID # 2120. Cemetery records show her birth date as July 30, 1892.

Census: 1920, Card # C143 Vol 35, E.D. 160, Sheet 18 line 52 at the age of 26

Notes below from James Bullard:
He and his father was farmers (not to good of ones). He had some carpenter skills and he had made some of the coffins for family who had passed on. After the death of Mary, He had settled in the community of Hamilton, about 8 miles South of Carlisie, Arkansas. along with his parents. His mother Clementine took over the duties of taking case of the children.

Occupation: Farmers (share croppers) and had some carpenter skills

Children of MARY CASE and ANDREW COFFELT are:
2. I. CECIL JASPER3 COFFELT, b. June 23, 1912, Hamilton Community, Lonoke County, Arkansas; d. August 08, 1996, Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas.

3. ii. ANDREW HOMER COFFELT, b. August 20, 1913, Hamilton Community, Arkansas; d. February 13, 2002.

iii. SILAS HENRY COFFELT, b. July 26, 1916, Hamilton Community, Lonoke County, Arkansas; d. July 03, 1994; m. DELLA, Private; b. Private.

Burial: Unknown, Hamilton Cemetery, Carlisle, Lonoke County, Arkansas

Census: 1920, Card # C143 Vol 35, E.D. 160, Sheet 18 line 52 at the age of 3 years 5 months

Social Security Number: 432-46-3634

iv. INESS ROSE COFFELT, b. Private; m. BEN EUGENE CARPENTER, Private; b. Private.


4. vi. GORDON PINK COFFELT, b. March 25, 1924, Cottonwood Community, Lonoke County, Arkansas; d. July 30, 1988, Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas.

Generation No. 2

2. CECIL JASPER3 COFFELT (MARY BELLE2 CASE, ANDREW JACKSON "JACKSON"1) was born June 23, 1912 in Hamilton Community, Lonoke County, Arkansas, and died August 08, 1996 in Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas. He married SADIE VIOLA DANIEL June 16, 1934 in Hamilton Community, Lonoke County, Arkansas, daughter of JAMES DANIEL and GRACIE WEST. She was born October 06, 1910 in Carlisle, Lonoke County, Arkansas, and died March 10, 2000 in Lonoke, Lonoke County, Arkansas.

Census: 1920, Card # C143 Vol 35, E.D. 160, Sheet 18 line 52 at the age of 7 1/2

Social Security Number: 432-28-3190

5. i. CECILY FAYE4 COFFELT, b. Private.

3. ANDREW HOMER3 COFFELT (MARY BELLE2 CASE, ANDREW JACKSON "JACKSON"1) was born August 20, 1913 in Hamilton Community, Arkansas, and died February 13, 2002. He married CORA MAE GRANDGEORGE Private. She was born Private.

His obit as it appeared online from The Carlisle Independent:

Andrew Coffelt, age 88, died Feb. 13, 2002.
He was retired from Layne Arkansas Co. He served many years as a volunteer for the Carlisle Fire Department. He is survived by his wife, Cora Mae Coffelt; children, Rosa Mae Evans of Stuttgart, Delores Robinson of Arlington, Texas, Homer Coffelt of Lonoke and Elmer Coffelt of Carlisle; four grandchildren, eight great-grandchildren and two sisters, Inez Carpenter and Drewsilla Brown, both of Carlisle. Services were Friday at Carlisle United Methodist Church with interment in Hamilton Cemetery by Boyd Funeral Home of Lonoke. Memorials may be made to the Carlisle Volunteer Fire Department.

Burial: February 15, 2002, Hamilton Cemetery, Hamilton, Arkansas

Occupation: retired from Layne Arkansas Co

i. ROSA MAE4 COFFELT, b. Private.

ii. DELORES COFFELT, b. Private.

iii. HOMER COFFELT, b. Private.

iv. ELMER COFFELT, b. Private.

4. GORDON PINK3 COFFELT (MARY BELLE2 CASE, ANDREW JACKSON "JACKSON"1) was born March 25, 1924 in Cottonwood Community, Lonoke County, Arkansas, and died July 30, 1988 in Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas. He married (1) BARBARA SUE MOORE Private. She was born Private. He married (2) MEDA JEANETTE VESTAL Private. She was born Private.

Notes from Otis McElhaney says:

Hamilton Cemetery, Carlisle, Lonoke County, Arkansas: Section B, Row 2, Grave 41, Deceased ID # 2162.

Cause of Death: emphasima

Military service: U.S. Navy during World War II S1

Social Security Number: 432-32-6012

i. WANDA SUE4 COFFELT, b. Private.
6. iii. TAMMY IRENE COFFELT, b. Private.

Generation No. 3


i. JAMIE FAYE5 BULLARD, b. Private; m. MARVIN ALEXANDER, Private; b. Private.

ii. JAMES CECIL "JIM" BULLARD, b. Private.

6. TAMMY IRENE4 COFFELT (GORDON PINK3, MARY BELLE2 CASE, ANDREW JACKSON "JACKSON"1) was born Private. She married THOMAS CALTON HALE Private. He was born Private.

i. CODY THOMAS5 HALE, b. Private.

By Great Granddaughter Nancy Fillinger

Thanks, Nancy 

Powell, Ohio

June 2001




Andrew Jackson Clements was born in Pike County, at New Hartford, Illinois, February 15, 1851, and died at his home in Lonoke, January 18, 1919.

His father, Abner Clements, was born in Pulaski, Tennessee, September 15, 1818, and was one of the oldest and best pilots on the Mississippi River during the Civil War. His mother, Elisabeth Brown Clements, was born in New Hartford, Ill.

Mr. Clements’ early days were spent in Tennessee, coming to Lonoke some forty years ago, he engaged in business and has since been one of the town’s leading business men and citizens. At the time of his death he was the proprietor of the Majestic Hotel and is widely known throughout the state.

He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Mattie Galbraith Clements, and two children, Jack and Miss Floy Clements, and three children by his first wife, who was Sue Galbraith, Mrs. Minnie King, Mrs. Nannie Clements Corn of Lonoke, and Mrs. Mittie Crumpton of Memphis, two sisters, Mrs. Richard Webber of Little Rock, and Mrs. M.A. Lassiter of Lonoke, one brother, Geo. W. Clements of Little Rock.

The funeral services were held Monday morning at the family rooms at the Majestic Hotel, conducted by Revs. L.E.N. Hundley of the Methodist church; G. L. Boles of the Baptist church and J. F. Ross of the Presbyterian church. Interment was in the Lonoke cemetery where loving friends of the deceased and family covered the grave with beautiful flowers.

       The Democrat joins the host of friends of the bereaved ones in extending consolation in their sad hour.

My Daddy

Submitted by, Linda Temple Acrey

Thanks, Linda

In Memory of W. D. (Bill) Temple

My daddy was a farming man, just a regular farmin’ man was he
He wore khakis most all of his life, but that later changed to green.  He drove that pickup truck everywhere you could possibly believe As he bounced over many a newly planted field just to see
How the crops were coming along, for a farmin’ man was he.  Billy D. was his name in younger days, but he was always just Daddy to me.

He was up at the break of dawn working ‘till dusk, you see,
For he was a farming man and out farmin’ was he.  He was red faced from the endless days of staying in the sun, Just having to stay put working the job till it was done.  I, when quite young, with my little golden curls, always by his side would be Riding over, around, and through the fields just to see what we could see.

Daddy always championed whoever was the little man because that’s where you knew his heart truly was.  That man would almost give you the shirt off of his back, But please believe me when I say, you never betrayed his loyalty, For you could rest assured, he would pay you back quite royally--As that was just the way it was; I tell you, just the way it really was.

Daddy was a farming man; out checking crops in that Ford truck was he.  While farming around a thousand acres, owning three hundred and twenty down near the Bayou Meto at the very south end of Lonoke County.  For down at home, that water was easily pumped and flowed quite freely, The fine sandy soil was so productive that you could easily judge and that solid and sturdy home place sat high up on that Brummitt ridge.

A Democrat supporter that could be counted on all the way
For every election he always made sure to get out and vote,
No matter who the Democratic man of the hour happened to be
Or even if the person was really worthy of note,
No Republicans would there ever be for Billy D.!
Because he was a farming man, a farmin’ was he.

Daddy had sparkling blue eyes that lit up as he spoke
And that he loved to do as he shared a good joke
My daddy was a true son of the South, born and bred
And he always carried a hidden pistol until he was nearly dead,
Never straying far from his beloved home or his wife Louise
Because he loved his family, was devoted to his mom, for a good son was he!

During WWII, with a rating of Chief he served in the U.S. Navy
With that red, white, and blue patriotism so deeply imbedded in Billy D.  Staying gone for six long years, from 1940 until 1946, mostly at sea, Daddy came home on a leave, married my mother on July 6, 1943.  When WWII finally ended, he left Norfolk, Virginia leaving behind the sea Home to Arkansas where he and my mother Louise truly wanted to be For my daddy was a farming man and a farmin’ man was he.

Daddy farmed all those years retiring in 1968 only when truly necessary.  Later, he would work at Kellwood, the local hometown-sewing factory.  Some days, he might ramble out to visit Clifford or Junior, his old buddies, For those men surely loved to talk a lot as they ‘shot the breeze’ Talking of good duck hunting trips, and such they had all once enjoyed, For duck hunting he always dearly loved and appreciated.

Now on the late afternoon of February 15, 1984 my Daddy did die,
So, on a beautiful Sunday afternoon, we laid that daddy of mine to rest in the dear soil of the one place he truly had always loved,
Down in Lonoke County, Arkansas with some of the best.  For my daddy was a farming man, and all his days, a farmin’ man was he, Still tied to the soil, even in death, was a blessed way for my daddy to be.


Written on November 23, 2002 By Billy D.’s girl, Linda Temple Acrey
So his grandchildren may know their legacy.

This is the story of my Great Grandmother Mary Ella Hedgecock Davis Hodges.  I have only lately learned about her life and deeply regret that I did not know her better.  Indeed I had the chance as my mother and I spent Sunday afternoons on her porch across the street from the Courthouse in Lonoke.  But I was a kid and I sat and fidgeted, rolling my eyes at my mother to take me home to my big city North Little Rock activities when, in fact, I was in the presence of a truly grand woman, a survivor of many experiences and hardships.  If only I could spend a few minutes with her now.  

Submitted by:  Crystal Burney  

Thanks, Crystall

Mary Ella’s Story  

Mary Ella Hedgecock’s parents were Mary Elizabeth Vittitoe, 1837 Mississippi , and John H. Hedgecock, 1841 Georgia .  Mary Ella Hedgecock’s maternal grandparents were John H. and Frances Robinson Vittitoe.  She never knew them; they were both dead by 1850.  Her paternal grandfather was John Hedgecock, the elder, having arrived in Caroline Township , Prairie County between 1850 and 1860.  

On 12 Sep 1860 , Mary Ella’s parents, John H. Hedgecock, 20, married 22 year old Mary Elizabeth Vittitoe in Prairie County , Arkansas .  Mary Ella Hedgecock was born on 30 Jun 1861 , near Hickory Plains, Prairie County .  

John H. Hedgecock (the younger), the father of the Mary Ella, joined the Confederate Army, Company B, 25th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry, at Jackson Port on 19 Mar 1862.  

The Prairie County Historian, Marilyn Hambrick Sichel of DeVall’s’ Bluff, Arkansas , lists John H. Hedgecock as killed in the Civil War in 1863.  She reports that there may be a document in the courthouse at Des Arc indicating that Mary Ella’s mother applied for County Assistance due to the death of her husband, the father of her small child. By 1870, Mary Elizabeth Hedgecock, Mary Ella’s mother, was gone as well.  

By 1870, Mary Ella Hedgecock, 9 years old, an apparent orphan, is found on the Hickory Plains farm of her grandfather, 51 Year old John Hedgecock.  

Elder John Hedgecock, Mary Ella’s grandfather, married on 19 Jul 1873 at 52.  His bride was 22 year old Elizabeth (Betty) Griffin .  The marriage was short-lived.  Seventeen months later, elder John Hedgecock was dead.  In January of 1875, his widow, Betty Griffin Hedgecock became the third of what would be at least five wives of Uriah Ashley.  At that point, Mary Ella, fourteen, had lost her mother and father, she never knew either Robinson grand-parent, and her Hedgecock grandfather was no longer alive to look after her.  Her aunt Martha Vittitoe Wilson and her uncle William Henry Harrison Vittitoe lived nearby.  It is not known if they took her in.  When Mary Ella Hedgecock married, the Hedgecock name disappeared from Prairie County , Arkansas .  

In Lonoke County , Arkansas , Mary Ella Hedgecock married George L. Davis on 27 Dec 1876 .  Mary listed her age on the marriage document as 16.  In fact, she was only 15 by a few months.  

Living on a farm in Eagle Township , Lonoke County , AR , George and Mary Ella Davis had three children:  John Oscar Davis, 1879, married Sulie Calclasure; Rena Davis, 1881, married Clifton Glover; and Mattie Davis, 1883, married James Arthur Hester.  By 1886, George Davis was gone.  Mary Ella Hedgecock Davis was a widow at 25 with three small children.  

Within the year, Mary Ella married a second time.  She married William R. Hodges on December 1, 1886 .  William R. Hodges, the younger, was the son of William R. Hodges and Mary Hodges from Tennessee .  They had settled in Prairie (Lonoke) County about 1855.   I believe the Hodges Fairview farm was the lifelong home of Mary Ella Hodges.  

The Fairview farm was located on the east side of what is today called Davie Glover Road in Lonoke County , near Furlow between Lonoke and Beebe.  Davie Glover Road runs north and south between Smyrna Road and Highway 289. The farm and house survived into the 1950s.  It was a very modest house, built up on piers surrounded by fields.  There was no electricity, running water or evidence of indoor plumbing into the 1950’s.  Fairview farm had an outside well, and was surrounded with fields of strawberries, cotton, and watermelon vines.  Mary Ella lived there for approximately fifty years.  She worked in those fields barefoot and delivered her seven children there with only the help of “an old granny-woman”.  Her children report that the open ditches were “full” of poisonous Water Moccasin snakes.  Mosquitoes were so bothersome that the folks slept with nets around their beds.  

At the time of her marriage to Will Hodges, Mary Ella began calling herself Ella.  She had joined a family of several “Marys”. Will and Ella Hodges had two more children:  Grover Cleveland Hodges, 1887, and Effie I. Hodges, 1898.  

By 1910, Ella was nearly finished raising her five surviving children, but she was not done yet.  Her eldest son, John Oscar Davis lost his young wife to a fire in the home by 1910.  So, Ella again became the caretaker of three small children.  Widowed herself, she continued to work the farm with her son, John Oscar Davis, for about 40 more years.  

Mary Ella Hodges, even after leaving the farm to move into Lonoke, never had any modern conveniences, refrigeration, etc.  When company arrived, they would catch a chicken, wring its neck and fry it up.  Now that made an impression on a 7 year old city girl!  

By the 1950’s, Ella Hodges and her son Oscar Davis lived in a tiny white frame house on the courthouse square in Lonoke , Arkansas .  Ella, a handsome and sweet woman, had beautiful snow-white hair.  She dipped snuff and a coffee can was always by her side as she sat on the porch in her rocker looking out over the Square in Lonoke.  In November of 1952, the Arkansas Gazette sent a reporter to photograph her on the porch of her house marking a paper ballot in the Presidential Election.  She was 91 years old, having been 59 years old before women were granted the right to vote.  One summer day about 1955, she inquired of me “I hear tell they are wearing something called Bermuda shorts down in Little Rock .  Is that true?”   It is not known if she ever left Lonoke County .  

Mary Ella died on 23 Mar 1960 at the age of 98.  When asked about the cause of death, my mother said "she got tired".  Mary Ella Hodges is buried in the Hicks Cemetery on Mount Zion Road west of Highway 31 between Beebe and Brownsville.

My Great Grandmother, Mary Ella Hedgecock Davis Hodges, orphaned during the Civil War, widowed at 25 and again later in life, bore 7 children, buried four, cared for her orphaned niece and three grandchildren, farmed for more than seventy years, and continued to keep house for her eighty year old son until “she got tired”. I wish I had listened to her stories and what she had to teach me.

Submitted by:  Barbara Mashburn

Thanks, Barbara

Bible Records of Sarah Jane (Fletcher) Mashburn

In the posscession of Mary Emaline (Mashburn) Potter  

1st page:  

Mathew Mashburn was born November 25, 1803 and died March 20th 1868, This Dec 1 1889  

Levi Mashburn was born June 1st 1849 died March 16, 1895  

Pheby Elen Mashburn died November 5, 1898  

Ethel Smart was born October 15, 1897 and died August 30, 1898  

2nd page:  

William Levi Potter Grandson Levi and Malinda Mashburn, son of Ruben and Mary Potter was born September 30, 1889 

Finey Lucinda Jane Mashburn daughter of James and Sarah Mashburn was born August 9, 1889 and seperated this life September 23, 1889  

Albert Potter was born March 31, 1895 died October 8, 1905  

Levey Mathew Mashburn died November 10, 1913  

3rd page:  

Levi Mashburn was born June 1 1849  

Malinda Mashburn was born March 7, 1843  

James Anderson Mashburn was born March 22, 1868 died October 17, 1926  

Levi Mathew Mashburn was born March 18, 1870  

Mary Emaline Mashburn was born August 4, 1872  

William Zebulum Montgomery Mashburn was born October 5, 1875  

Pheby Elen Mashburn was born November 12, 1877  

4th page:  

Margaret Jane Mashburn was born March 22, 1880  

Martha Texas Ann Mashburn was born July 9, 1882  

Lilly May Mashburn was born May 19, 1885  

Pinctney Mashburn was born December 4, 1887 died at birth  

Mary Jane Smart was born November 3, 1898  

Ruben Lenord (R. L.) Potter was born November 5, 1917 

Orginial OBITUARY for Rev. Charles Chaddick

OBITUARY Rewritten

Given to me by Warren L. Chadick of Edmond OK. in letter dated 31 Oct 1996

(He did not give a source for this or date)

CHADDICK Rev. Charles Chaddick was born in Tenn. May 18, 1820, was converted and joined the Methodist Church in 1837; was married in 1841; licensed to preach in 1845; moved to Arkansas in 1848 where he lived and labored until August 14, 1888, where he quietly and triumphantly passed over the river to enjoy the reward of the faithful.  Bro. Chaddick was a great sufferer for more than two years before his death, from that worst of afflictions, cancer, by which two-thirds of his face was literally destroyed.  As a Local preacher, Bro. Chaddick was above ordinary and was loved and honored by all who knew him  a safe counselor, a faithful friend to every interest in the Church.  As a friend and neighbor he was kind and accommodating.  He will be missed and his life held in affectionate remembrance by all who sustained intimate relations to him.  He was a man of strong religious convictions; his works expressed his faith in the Christian religion, for his conduct was at all times consistent with his profession.  A few weeks before his death I was talking with him about his suffering.  Said he, "You think you could not endure what I am now enduring?  I thought, when this cancer first started that I could not endure any more, but I have found that as the suffering increased so did the grace of my Lord; his grace was my sufficiency then it is my strength now.  Doctors and medicines have failed, friends have grown weary, but the Lord seems to be drawing nearer every day."

Servant of God, well done;
Rest from thy loved employ;
The battle fought, the victory, won.
Enter the Master's joy."

W. J. Rogers