|Submitted by Wilma King
Transcribed by Marsha Boles
2nd In August 1859, Rev. Wm. L. Moffat visited
us & organized a church on the 12th of Aug, at which
time 32 names wer entered on the records, with two
ruling Elders. /// * (see notes) Dr. James Cooper, & William R.
Chesnut, by certificate, & examination; and called
their place of Worship Prosperity, and on the Sabbath
Aug 14th the Lord's Supper was administered.
About the first day fo December 1859 Rev. Wm. L
Moffatt settled with us and became our Pastor.
From the organization of Prosperity and until the
organization of Newhope, the history of Prosperity
will be found in the records, which is in a statistical
form, which includes the members of Newhope.
In the fall fof 1854, Mr. Moffatt demetted the change
of Prosperity to Presbytery, which was sustained.
We were supplied after Mr. Moffatt left us by the
brethrin Rev. John Patrick, & Rev. Monroe Oats,
one month from each year. /// * Mr. Oats July 1865
Mr. Patrick Aug 1865. Each of the administered
the Lord's Supper. (**Rev. J. R. Marion probably better part
of Aug to the first part of September 1870.) Rev. M. Oats
April 1869 & RevJohn Patrick in Aug 1869. The first
Holding a communion in the lower settlement, & the other
In the upper settlement.(*** Rev. T. P. Marion in June 1870
See report of Presbytery in 1870 book).
Rev. J. P. Davis, Aynod Missionary, came in to our
bounds in the latter part of 1870 & continued his labour
until after the 3rd Sabbath of Jully 1871, during which time
he organized a church in the upper settlement, on Saturday
April 2, 1671. & called their church Newhope.
* 3 digit mark – unfamiliar abbreviation, repeated on this page
Best interpretation “riz” or “biz” (seems to mean – include).
* * Simple strike marks on each word as if to denote entry error.
* * * Bracketed remarks as if late entry and a correction of prior stricken sentence.