Bethel Methodist Cemetery, Est 1865
Union County, Arkansas
Publication:El Dorado News-Times Date: Saturday, October 15, 2005
Church to celebrate its 140th anniversary
Independent Methodist Church will hold homecoming services Sunday celebrating
its 140th anniversary.
According to a release from the church,
Construction of the foundation was done with split logs on pier and beam.
The inside of the church has since been paneled and carpeted, but no structural changes have been made since it was built. The building is still used for weekly Sunday worship services and music accompaniment is provided on an antique concert grand upright piano manufactured by The Sterling Company of
In the 1880s, the church was not only used for Sunday services, but also for a schoolhouse. According to church records, school was only held for three months in the summer and three months in the winter to accommodate spring planting and the fall harvest.
The earliest pastor on record was the Rev. Benjamin Joseph Perry. Perry was a native of
Regular weekly services are held at every Sunday. Homecoming services will begin this Sunday at for worship, followed by dinner on the grounds and a gospel singing. Everyone is invited to attend, with a special invitation to all former members and pastors.
The church is located on U.S. 167, approximately two miles south of the U.S. 82 bypass.
Union County Home Page
This site may be freely
linked, but not duplicated
in any way without consent.
© 2000-02 by Arkansas-Cemeteries Mailing List Homepage
The copyright (s) on this
page must appear on all
copied and/or printed material.
All rights reserved! Commercial use of material within this site is prohibited!