Listed below are articles where BREAGE or people from Breage are specifically mentioned.

Extracts from Transcripts By:

Rita Bone Kopp
OPC for St Stephen In Brannel

For full details visit: cornwall england newspaper



BENNEY - NICHOLAS - At Woodend, Australia, December 30, William Henry (Willie), eldest son of William Benney, of Torleven Farm, Sithney, to Elizabeth Hebbard (Lizzie), eldest daughter of Mr. J.H. Nicholas, builder, Breage.  (3 FEBRUARY 1887, Thursday)


POPE - LATTY - At Penzance, March 12, Mr. Edwin Pope, of Kenneggy, Breage, to Miss Eleanor Latty, of Marazion. (3 MARCH 1887, Thursday)




SAMPSON - At Hendra, Breage, April 13, the wife of Mr. Alfred Sampson, of a daughter. (21 APRIL 1887, Thursday)



Sudden Death At Camborne - A widow, 80 years of age, and named Craze, a native of Breage district, died suddenly from the spitting of blood at Camborne on Wednesday evening. Deceased was staying with her granddaughter (Mrs. Daniel Heard, of West Charles-street) at the time of her death. (20 June 1887, Monday)



The Breage Murder - Much sympathy is, says a correspondent, felt among the fellow workmen of Thomas POLGLASE, now known as the 'Breage murderer.' Polglase was commonly known by his neighbours and fellow miners as 'Ould England,' from the habit he had of saying. 'Here's off through Ould England,' whenever he left work and started on his long walk home. He was noted for his extraordinary appetite, the size of the pasties brought to mine with him being the wonder of his comrades. He was known at the mine as anything but a morose or vindictive man, but, at the same time, he was regarded as far from sharp witted. Indeed, the 'bal' maidens were in the habit of making him the subject of their practical jokes. It is believed at Breage that Polglase had a good deal of money secreted on his premises, and that he really feared that he was going to be robbed. That he should be condemned to penal servitude for life seems an outrageous excess of punishment. (13 January 1887, Thursday)


Narrow Escape At Porthleven - James BRYANT, a lathmaker, in the employ of Porthleven Harbour Company, on leaving work at five o'clock one day last week, went to the public-house on the Breage side to have some beer. He remained about an hour. When he left it was very dark and instead of going in the direction of his home, he walked over the jetty opposite the public-house. He fell on to the sand outside the harbour, breaking his right thigh. Fortunately the tide was out at the time, or he must have been drowned. For two hours he lay there, calling for help as long as he was able, before he was discovered. Then a young man from Helston, hearing groans as he was passing the spot above where the injured man lay, gave an alarm, and he was soon rescued from his perilous position. If he had not been discovered when he was he would in a few minutes have been drowned, for the tide was coming in fast and had washed away his hat. His rescuers had to walk through water up to their waists to bring him to the steps of the jetty. Mr. ARNOLD, surgeon, Porthleven, was quickly in attendance, and did all that was necessary for the injured man, who is 73 years of age. It is not very probable that if he recovers he will be able to walk again. The harbour is situated in the centre of the place; the population is between 2,000 and 3,000 and rapidly increasing; there are no lights, and several accidents of a similar description, some of which have terminated fatally, have happened at the place. (27 January 1887, Thursday)


West Kirrier Petty Sessions - Wednesday, 19th inst. - Before the Rev. Sir Vyell VYVYAN, Bart. (chairman), and J.S. DAVEY.

Drunkenness - Thomas COLLICK was charged with being drunk at Breage on December 25th - Defendant pleaded guilty. - P.C. Kendall proved the case. He found the defendant helplessly drunk by the road-side. He lifted him up, but he was too drunk to stand alone. He helped him to his home at Ashton. - Defendant was fined 5s. and 10s 6d. costs. (27 January 1887, Thursday)


Fire At Breage - At mid-day on Saturday the house of Mr. William Richards, Tresowas-hill, Breage, was accidentally set on fire. One of the children went to put a lighted piece of fuzze into the fire, but having his attention diverted by his brother, he put it instead into the wood corner, a large recess adjoining the fireplace, and which contained a quantity of furze. This was instantly in a blaze. The children ran out
affrighted and gave the alarm, but by the time the parents, who were in another part of the house, knew what had happened the house was in flames. It was with great difficulty that a small part of the furniture
was saved. There was no water or means near by for putting out the fire. The house and furniture were uninsured. (20 June 1887, Monday)