(Part 2: Cornwall)

Page 45-46 BREAGE

(Transcription by Althea Johnson. Check originals for confirmation)


Breage is a parish near the coast, on the road between Helston and Marazion, 3 miles west from Helston terminal station on a branch of the Great Western Railway, 7 east from Marazion and 8 south from Gwinear, in the Truro division of the County, hundred and petty sessional division of Kirrier (west), Helston union and county court district, rural deanery of Kirrier, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro. The church of St. Breage is an ancient building of stone and granite, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles separated from the nave by arcades of seven arches, transepts, south porch, and an embattled western tower, surmounted by four pinnacles and containing a clock and one bell, dated 1771: in the north transept are portions of the old carved oak roof, with elaborate corbels and beams: the east windows of the chancel and south aisle are memorials respectively to Caroline Isabella Wilson 1846-54 and Elizabeth Wilson, 1780-1866; the west window of the same aisle commemorates the marriage of their majesties King Edw. VII and Queen Alexandra, March 10th 1863, and was erected by the parishioners; there are monuments to the Coode family, 1671-94, and others of modern date: Margaret (Blagge), Wife of Sidney, first Earl of Godolphin K.G. was buried here, September 27th 1678; in the south aisle are three helmets, two bearing the Godolphin crest; the church affords 300 sittings; in the churchyard, near the south entrance, stands the head of an ancient cross: the church was thoroughly restored and reseated with open benches in 1890- 1891, at a cost of  £4,000. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1607; marriages and burials, 1559.  The living is a vicarage, with Germoe annexed, joint net yearly value £332, with residence and 5 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Crown, and held since 1888 by the Rev. Jocelyn Barnes M.A. of Worcester College, Oxford. 

There is a Mission church at Ashton. There are Wesleyan chapels at S. Breage, Carleen, Ashton, Trenwheal and Keneggie; Bible Christian chapels at Churchtown, Herland Cross and Ashton and Free Methodist chapels at Ashton and Rinsey. In this parish is Godolphin Hill, 495 feet, and Tregoning Hill, 596 feet above the sea level; on the summit of the latter are the remains of an entrenchment, measuring about 106 by 92 yards; on the western declivity of the hill is a well, and part of its southern base is dotted with tumuli; along the cliffs at Methleigh are many graves of bodies washed in by the sea; and at Trewavas Head stands a singular columnar rock, known as “the Bishop.”  Breage was once a prosperous mining centre, but little or no tin mining or streaming is now carried on.  Foote’s charity, of £8 8s. yearly, is distributed as follows:- £2 2s to the school; and £2 2s. for the poor, and £4 4s. to the parish of Germoe; there is also a sum of £7 16s. given by the Duke of Leeds for poor widows of this parish. The Duke of Leeds, Lord Churston, Maj. Gen John Jago-Trelawny, of 5 Atheneum Terrace, Plymouth, and Capt. Richard Carlyon Coode, of Polapit Tamar, are lords of the manor and principal landowners.  The soil is light; subsoil, granite.  The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats.  The area is 7,263 acres, 9 of water and 121 of foreshore; rateable value, £9,243; the population in 1891 was 1,690.


RINSEY is a village on the sea coast, 2 miles south-west; TREW, 1 mile north; CARLEEN, or CAERLEON, 1 ½ miles north; KENEGGIE, 4 miles west; PENGERSICK, 3 miles west, is the site of an ancient castle, built in the 16th century, and formerly the residence of the Millytons; most of the building is now ruinous, but a battlemented tower of three stages (temp. Hen. VIII.) still remains; ASHTON is 1 mile west from Breage; other villages in this parish are HENDRA,  2 west-south-west, TRESCOWE, 4 north-west, TREVERVAS, 2 west-south-west, and HERLAND, 2 north-north-west; PORTHLEVEN, 2 ½ south-south-east, is a fishing village, partly in this parish and partly in Sithney.


POST OFFICE – Miss Anna Olive Nicholas, sub-postmistress. Letters through Helston, arrive at 10 a.m.; dispatched at 2.45 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Porthleven is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 3 miles distant.

ASHTON SUB-OFFICE – Miss Bessie KING, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive 10.25 a.m. from Helston; dispatched 2.35 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Porthleven is the nearest money order & telegraph office 4 miles distant. 

Wall Letter Box, Coach & Horses, Keneggie, cleared at 2.15 p.m.



A School Board of 5 members was formed April 4th 1871; Joseph Nicholls, Church Town, clerk to the board; Thomas BOWDEN, Wheal Vor, attendance officer.

Board, Wheal Vor (mixed), for 140 children: average attendance, 66. Miss Mary Pope, mistress

 Church, at St. Breage, Church Town, supported by the Vicar of the parish; average attendance, 131; William Pidgeon, master.


CARRIERS – John Charles, to Penzance, tues. & thurs. & Helston, sat.; Thomas Tregear & Stephen Hoare to Helston, wed & sat


(Marked thus + should be addressed Marazion R.S.O.)

Barnes Rev. Jocelyn M.A. The Parsonage

Broad Mrs. Church Town

Stephens Henry, Church Town




+Andrewartha James Eade

Farmer, Keneggie

Beare Thos.

Shoe ma., Church Town

Bennett Paul

Farmer, Tolmennor

Blight Thomas

Farmer, Trevena

Breage Granite Quarry Co. (Thomas Eustice)

Purser & Manager

+Coast Guard Station (Board of Trade rocket apparatus No. 276)

William Badcock, chief boatman, Prussia Cove

Cock Wm

Trelawney’s Arms P.H. Trew

Eustice Edmund Truscott

Temperance hotel, Ashton

Eustice Loveday (Mrs)

Shpkpr, Ashtn

Eustice William George

Lion & Lamb P.H., Ashton

Gilbert John Hy.

Farmer, Trevorian

+Gilbert William John

Coach & Horses P.H., Keneggie

Harry Constance (Mrs)

Shpkpr, Ashtn

Hosken Frederick

Farmer, Penbro

James John

Farmer,Church Town

James Jsph Harry

Shopkpr, Ashton

James Susan (Mrs)

Farmer, Trevena

James William

Farmer, Trevervas

Joyce John Adams

Wheelwright, Church Town

King Bessie (Miss)

Shopkeeper, Post Office, Ashton

King Robert

Farmer, Pengersick

King Wm

Drapr & Gro, Church Town

Kitto Francis & Christopher

Farmers, Pengersick

+Kitto Mary Ann (Mrs)

Shopkeeper, Keneggie

+Marks Henry

Farmer, Keneggie

Matthew Francis William & Son

Farmers, Tranno

Metal & Flow Mine

George E. Collins, manager

Michell Henry

Farmer, Methleigh

Nicholas Anna Olive (Miss)

Postmistress, Church Town

Nicholas Joseph

Builder & Carpenter, Church Town

Nicholls Joseph

Clerk to school board, Church Town

Nicholls Stephen

Registrar of births & deaths for sub-districts of Breage & Germoe, Church Town

Perry David

Farmer, Crava

+Phillips Brothers

Farmers, Keneggie

Richards Alfred

Farmer, Pellor

Richards Jane (Mrs)

Shopkeeper, Church Town

Richards John

Farmer, Rosemaber

Richards John

Farmer, Trevalence

Richards Thomas Mitchell

Farmer, Treworlas

+Richards William

Farmer, Keneggie

Richards Jane (Mrs)

Farmer, Little Methleigh

Rogers William

Queen’s Arms P.H., Church Town

Rowe Jacob

Farmer, Sethnoe

Rowe William

Farmer, Tregew

Sampson Thomas

Farmers, Hendra

Sampson Trevenen

Farmer, Trevervas

Stephens James

Farmer, Tremearne

+Thomas Hy. Davey

Farmer, Keneggie

Toll John Henry

Farmer, Trevervas

Toll Simon

Farmer, Pengersick

Tredrea Jas

Shopkpr, Church Town

Tregear John

Farmer, Pentreath

Tregoning Hill Brick & China Clay Co.

John Martin, manager & purser

Treloar Jn.

Shopkpr, Church Town

Tripp Thos. Hy.

Farmer, Trevervas

Tyacke John

Farmer, Chynoweth

Williams Frnk

Blacksmith, Church Tn