Page 943-944 BREAGE

(Transcription by Althea Johnson. Check originals for confirmation)


Breage is a parish, situated near the coast, on the road between Helston and Marazion, 7 miles east from Marazion, 8 south from Gwinear and 3 west from Helston terminal station on a branch of the Great Western Railway.  In the Truro division of the County, hundred and petty sessional division of Kirrier (west), Helston union and county court district, rural deanery of Kirrier, archdeaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro. The church of St. Breage is an ancient building of stone and granite, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles separated from the nave by arcades of seven arches, transepts, south porch, and an embattled western tower, surmounted by four pinnacles and containing a clock and 2 bells, dated 1831 and 1771: in the north transept are portions of the old carved oak roof, with elaborate corbels and beams: the east windows of the chancel and south aisle are memorials respectively to Caroline Isabella Wilson 1846-54 and Elizabeth Wilson, 1780-1866; the west window of the same aisle commemorates the marriage of T.R.H. the Prince and Princess of Wales, March 10th 1863, and was erected by the parishioners; there are monuments to the Coode family, 1671-94, and others of modern date: Margaret (Blague), Wife of Sidney, first Earl of Godolphin ? was buried here, September 27th 1678;in the south aisle are three helmets, two bearing the Godolphin crest; there are 641 sittings; in the churchyard, near the south entrance, stands the head of an ancient cross.  The register of baptisms dates from the year 1607; marriages and burials, 1559.  The living is a vicarage, with that of Germoe annexed, vicarial tithe rent-charge (Breage) £510, (St Germoe) £105, gross yearly value £515, net £140, with residence and 5 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Crown, and held since 1888 by the Rev. Jocelyn Barnes M.A. of Worcester College, Oxford. 

There is a Mission church at Ashtown. There are Wesleyan chapels at S. Breage, Carleen, Ashtown, Hendra, Trenwheal and Keneggie; Bible Christian chapels at Churchtown and Herland Cross and Ashtown; and Free Methodist at Ashtown. In this parish is Godolphin Hill, 495 feet and Tregoning Hill, 596 feet above the sea level; on the summit of the latter are the remains of an entrenchment, measuring about 106 by 92 yards; on the western declivity of the hill is a well, and part of its southern base is dotted with tumuli; along the cliffs at Methleigh are many graves of bodies washed in by the sea; and at Trewavas Head stands a singular columnar rock, known as “the Bishop.”  Foote’s charity, of £10 yearly, is distributed as follows:- £2 10s to the school, and £2 10s. for the poor, and £5 to the parish of Germoe; there is also £7 16s. for poor widows of this parish.  At Breage there is now little or no tin mining or streaming industry, though it was once a prosperous mining centre. The Duke of Leeds, ?? Lord Churston and Charles Trelawny esq. and Edward Coode esq. ? are lords of the manor and principal landowners.  The soil is light; subsoil, granite.  The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats.  The area is 7,161 acres (including 105 of water); rateable value, £9,423; the population in 1881 was 3,017.


RINSEY is a village on the sea coast, 2 miles south-west; TREW, 1 mile north; CARLEEN or CARRLEON, 1 ½ miles north; KENEGGIE, 4 miles west; PENGERSWICK, 3 miles west, is the site of an ancient castle, built in the 16th century, and formerly the residence of the Miltons; most of the building is now ruinous, but a battlemented tower of three stages(?temp. Hen. VIII.) still remains; ASHTOWN is 1 mile west from Breage; other villages in this parish are HENDRA,  2 west-south-west, TREGUNNO, 1 south, TRESCOW, 4 north-west, TREVERVAS, 2 west-south-west, and HERLAND, 2 north-north-west; PORTHLEVEN, 2 ½ south-south-east, is a fishing village, partly in this parish and partly in Sithney.


Parish Clerk, William Pidgeon.


POST OFFICE – Miss Mary Nicholas, sub-postmistress. Letters, through Helston, arrive at 10.30 a.m.; dispatched at 2.35 p.m. Helston is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

ASHTOWN SUB-OFFICE – Miss Bessie KING, receiver. Letters arrive 11.30 a.m.; dispatched 2.10 p.m.


North British & Mercantile, J.B. Nicholas


A School Board of 5 members was formed April 4th 1871; Rev. J Barnes, Chairman; J.B. Nicholas, is Clerk to the board; Humphrey Roberts, attendance officer.

Church, at St. Breage, Church Town, supported by the Vicar of the parish; average attendance, 130; William Pidgeon, master; Miss Peters, mistress.

Board, Wheal Vor (mixed), for 140 children: average attendance, 60;Miss Mary Pope, mistress.


CARRIERS – James Beckerleg, to Penzance, tues. & thurs.; John Rosewarne to Helston, wed & sat


Barnes Rev. Jocelyn M.A. The Vicarage

Corry Rev. Henry Wm., Calebnas Row

Robertson Rev. Donald Elphinston, Rinsey

Treweeke The Misses, Methleigh




Andrewartha Jas Eade

Frmr, Keneggie

Argall Albert Edward

Farmer, Sunnyvale, Pengersick

Argall Alfred Francis

Mine agent, Church Town

Argall William

Mine Manager & Purser & accountant

Bennett Paul

Farmer, Tolmanor

Breage Granite Quarry Co. (William Argall)

Purser & Manager

Broad Henry


Bryant John

Shoemaker, Church Town

Carter Francis

Farmer & registrar of births & deaths for sub-districts of Breage & Germoe

Curtis John

Mine agent, Keneggie

Curtis John, Jun

Farmer, Keneggie

Davey Henry

Farmer, Keneggie

Davey Stephen

Farmer, Chynoweth

Davey Stephen

Farmer, Trevena

Eade Jane (Mrs)

Trelawny’s Arms P.H., Trew

Eustice William Geo.

Lion & Lamb P.H., Ashtown

Great Hand? Fortune Tin Mine (Great Wheal Fortune Co.)

(Wm. Argall, purser; P Curtis, agent)

Harry Wm Henry

Shopkpr, Ashtown

Hosking Martin

Farmer, Pembro

James Jsph Harry

Shopkpr, Ashtown

James William

Farmer, Trevurvas

Johns William (Mrs)


Joyce Jn. Adams

Wheelwrt, Church Town

King Bessie (Miss)

Shopkeeper, Post Office, Ashtown

King Wm

Draper & Grocer, Church Town

Kitto Mary (Mrs)

Farmer, Pengersick

Kitto Mary Ann (Mrs)

Shpkpr, Keneggie

Lukey Joel

Farmer, Leseave

Marks Henry

Farmer, Keneggie

Matthew Francis Wm

Farmer, Trenno

Metal & Flow Mine

Sec. Charles Brougham Parry; manager William Argall; agent Stephen Pope Curtis

Matthew James

Farmer, Trevalence

Nicholas John Bennets

Builder, shipping agent & clerk to the school boards of Breage & Germoe, Church town

Nicholas Mary (Miss)


Parry David

Farmer, Crava

Polglase Thomas

Coach & Horses P.H., Keneggie

Richards Phillippa


Richards Thomas

Farmer, Pellor

Richards Thomas

Farmer, Treworlas

Richards William, Jun

Farmer, Little Methleigh

Richards William

Farmer & Assistant Overseer, Keneggie

Richards William (Mrs)

Farmer, Little Methleigh

Roberts Humphrey

School Attendance officer

Rogers William

Queen’s Arms P.H., Church Town

Rogers Wm

Blacksmith, Church Town

Rowe Jacob

Farmer, Sethoe

Sampson Richard

Farmer, Hendrea

Stephens James

Farmer, Tremerne

Sidney Godolphin Tin Mine Limited

William Argall, manager; Alfred F Argall, agent

Thomas John

Farmer, Trevorvas

Thomas Wm. Davey

Farmer, Keneggie

Tippitt Jas & Mary

Farmers, Trewithic

Toy Johannah (Mrs)

Shopkeeper, Trew

Tredrea James

Shopkeeper, Church Tn

Tregear John

Farmer, Pentreath

Tregoning Clay & Brick Works

Wm. Argall, manager & purser

Treweeke Geo

Frmr & Cattle dlr, Trequean

Tripconey George

Farmer & Carman, Trevorwas