Bits & Pieces page 2
Bits & Pieces from Moulton Advertisers & Lawrence County Area papers


There is a woman in this town who has a shotgun loaded to the mussel for us, but uless she is good on the wing we apprehend no damage
(MA 2-19-1903)
There are 125 cases of small pox in Birmingham, and the disease is rapidly spreading. (MA 2-5-1903)
Our Old People (MAThursday October 2, 1890)
The following are a few of the many old people yet living in
this county. We hope to get the names of all other over 70 years
of age for publications at an early day:
Terrill HEFLIN 88
Jeptha WEST 85
Tandy KEY 74
Michael WERT 75
Darius LYNCH 81
Thos. STEWART 84
Pleaa SIVLEY 82
Howard ROBERTS 84
J.W. KEYS 78
Jon. A. MCVAY 72
Hugh CROW 85
Reason YOUNG 82
G.W. Almon 75


The following persons have made application for pensions in Lawrence County:
R.A. Adkins,John G. Allen,W.H. Anders, J.W. Armstrong , C.J. Aston,Levi Avery,
John B. Barbee,S.W. Barnes, B.J. Bass,R.H. Bayne,Rufus Berryman, H. Blankenship, S.F. Bradford, G.W. Bradley,
A.J. Brown, L.W. Brown, J.A. Borden, Philip Borden, Thomas Bowling, W.H. Burden,S.N. Burks, A. Callahan, T.J. Clark
W.F. Costlow, G.W. Crook, F.M. Crow, H.J. Crow, J. D. Crow, A.H. Daniel, Wm. Davidson, John G. Dawson, A.E. Ellis, Samuel Evans, R.D. Finney, J.H. Fuller, R.M. Graham, Elisha Gray, John H. Gray, C.C. Hames, J.B. Hamilton,
E.N. Hampton, G.T. Harrison, D.G. Hawkins, Wm. Hawkins, J.A. Haynes, W.T. Heard, T.H. Heflin, John C. Hensley,
D.C. hill, R.T. Holliman, Tandy Key, Steven Key, G.B. Knight, D.C. Lambert, Wm. Latham, Abner Lee, J.W. Lefever,
J.G. Leigh, Geo. J. Letson, John H. Ligon, M.S. Lindsey, E.R. Little, Wm. Martin, J.K. McBride, Duncan McClesky,
Lewis McCleskey, Wm. J. McMahan, Z.G. McVay, J.T. Moore, Sam. L. Muston, W.H. Muston, C.J. Norton, J.W. Norton, Mereda Odell, J.F. Patterson, John Reed, P.A. Roberts, G.W. Roden, R.R. Romans, J.W. Roy, J.T. Royer,Frank Seamans, J.W. Shadix, M.V. Shelton, J.D. Slayton, John B. Southern, A.J. Spiller, E.J. Stanley, M.L. Tanksley, G.W. Terry, J.S. Thrasher, R.S. Vest, H.G. Waldrep, S.B.Waldrep, J.T. Wallace, F.M. Washburn, S.R. Weems, J.W. West, M.A. Wiggins, H.A. Wilbanks, M. Yarbrough, W.P. Zills

Females: Malha Amer, A.A. Beavers, E.J. Benson, Mary Callahan, A.G. Carrol, S.J. Christian, L.E. Darnell, M.A. Dawson
Terece Dilbeck, Matilda Dobbins, Docia A. Dunlap,R.J. Elkins, E.A. Ellis, H.M. Finney, Elizabeth Garrison, Nim Garrison,
S.A. Garrison, E.S. England, Jane Gregory, Virginia Hames, Jeminia Hatton, Mary A. Henley, Mary Ann Hill, S.E. Hill, Martha Hodges, M.E. Holoway, Nancy G. Horton, Fannie B. Johnson, S.A. lackey, Sarah E. Lang, Nancy H. Lester, Hattie M. Letson, Mary A. Love, S.A. McDaniel, S.A. McDowell, Martha McGee, Easter A. Owen, Sallie Pearson, Eliza Pike, R.A. Pitt, Margaret Preist, Manervia Pruit, M.E. Randolph, Nancy Rucker, Jan Sapp, Vina Sims, R.A. Spain,
F.E. Sparks, A.A. Steenson, Susan Tims, M.C. White, M.L. White, M.J. Wilkerson
N.G. Dleashaw and F.O. Gibson, examing board. (MA)

To Brother BARBEE.
Danville, Ala., 2-21-1909.
Dear Bro. White & Son, I was reminded by Wesley STOVER of my promise made last summer to you and him, to get up the
names of those still living that went to school with Bro. Barbeeto Professor COOPER at Oakville. I can only get up the following
names of the living: John M. WEST, Wesley STOVER, John Anderson BEATY, John A. MEADOWS, one who lives in Ziles Co. Tenn. Charley GIBSON who lives in Tex. I certainly enjoy reading his writings. I notice one mistake concerning Rollin HAMPTON,
killing himself. It was John HUNTER, father of Dick HUNTER who went to school to Mr. COOPER. I do not know if sister
Mat LINDSEY (nee Kitchens) went to Mr. COOPER, when Brother BARBEE went or not. I know she went to him. I think he taught two schools at Oakville. I went to school to Bro. Barbee ten months, at Speak's school house and 5 at Oakville. I sometimes think I would know him should I see him if he were beardless and grin at me when he would get me hacked or I had made a bad mistake in my recitation, which was very often. S.E. WEST (MA 2 Mar 1909)

We print the from Col. Curry to Judge Kumpe. It will no doubt prove to be interesting to many of our readers.
Columbus, Ohio, January 24, 1916
Judge J.C. Kumpe,
Moulton Alabama.
My Dear Judge:
I have received your letter of the 19th, informing me that there was a Roll Book of Company 8, 1st. O. V. C. in your office.
I remember well your courtesy in forwarding to me a morning report book of the same company a few years ago. Please forward the book to my address by Parcel Post and as soon as it is received, I will acsertain the postage, and will remit to you at once. It seems remarkable that after almost 54 year since that book was left in the Court House at Moulton that it would be found, which recalls vividly the date of the capture of a number of soldiers of my regiment at Courtland, being under guard at your court house. During the fight at Courtland, July 23th [sic], 1862 and when I was taken prisoner, a hole shot thru my hat and I will send you in this letter a little cut of the hat, which is still in my possession. It was a pretty close call and if any of Gen. Roddy's men still reside in your vicinity, I will be pleased to have you exhibit the cut for them to see it and if any of them were in that fight, tell them I have forgiven them long ago for their attempt to take my life and the hairs breadth escape I had at that time. After I was taken prisoner at Courtland, one of the guards caught a fine gray horse on which I was allowed to ride from Courtland to Moulton. A few miles out from Courtland we were halted and a confederate sergant rode up to me and stated that the horse I was riding was his brother's and that if he was killed I would get the contents of a revolver which he held in his hand. I understood afterwards that his brother was killed, that his name was Johnson and he was a Lieutenant in an Alabama regiment. I also recall our fight at Moulton May, 29th 1864 in which Roddy's brigade was engaged. I will send you under separate cover a little pamphlet containing an account of the reunion of my regiment in 1914, in which is published a cut of your Court House of which you so kindly sent me a photograph. Also a little history which may be of interest to any of Roddy's men who were in any of those fights.
Thanking you again for your courtesy and with kindest personal regards, I remain,
Very truly yours,
W. L. Curry.

The following sketch is taken from the pamphlet referred to in the above letter: 
The picture of the old Court House, located at Moulton, Ala., recalls the fight of Courtland, Ala., in which about twenty soldiers
 of Companies E and K were stationed at Courtland with two companies of the Tenth Kentucky Infantry.
On the morning of July 25th, this detachment was attacked by General Frank Armstrong's brigade of Confederate Cavalry, 
numbering about 1799. The Confederates closed in on three sides of the camp and after holding the position for about one hour in
 which it was reported that seventeen were killed and twenty-seven wounded, the command surrendered. All the cavalry charged
 through the lines and escaped expecting [excepting] about twenty including Captain Eggleston, Captain Cutler and Lieutenant Alkire,
 captured, and with the infantry numbering one hundred and thirty-four prisoners. Of Company K the captured were Captain Cutler, 
Orderly Sergeant W. L. Curry, Sergeant A. S. Chesas, A. L. Sender, John Winters, S. P. Clark, John Johnson and Wm. Johnson, all 
deceased, except Chears and Curry. Of Company E I do not recall the names of any excepting Colonel Eggleston and Lieutenant Alkire
, both dead.
In the skirmish the balls whistled around pretty lively and one passed through my hat, cutting the cross sabers in two, tearing the crown 
out, ruffling the hair, but not drawing blood. I still have the hat with cross sabers intact.
The first day we were mached  to Moulton, some twenty miles, and in the first night slept in the yard and the next day quartered in the 
Court House, on a good soft bench, but no blankets. The slaves had not then been freed and on the march we were halted at a plantation
 house and the slaves would bring out large iron wash kettles, build a fire put the kettle on the fire, partially filled with water, and then pull 
off roasting ears from the field corn, which we would husk boil and eat. As we had neither salt, bread, crackers or meat, we did not eat the
 raw corn with much relish.
When we were quartered in the Court House the boys organized a congress and enacted some very radical laws. Among others I recall one 
law, passed by a unanimous vote, to require the Confederates to furnish salt for the green corn, but the important question was how to 
compel the execution of the law, and some very flowery speeches were made along that line. In the midst of this important session, in which 
the oratory would have brought the blush to Patrick Henry, we were interrupted by the bugles sounding "boot and saddles," and on looking 
out of the windows there was a great commotion. The cavalrymen were saddling their horses; the teamsters were harnessing up their mules 
and everything indicated that the enemy-our friends-were going to attack, much to our joy. But our hope was soon blasted, as the guard 
rushed us to the streets and the order by General Armstrong was, "Move those prisoners out on the road to Tupelo, Miss., on double quick
." The fellows who did not get to deliver their prepared speeches, had to "ask leave to print," but it is doubtful whether their addresses ever
 appeard in the "Congressional Record." We moved out about sundown, surround by cavalry with drawn sabers, with orders to "whack" any
Yank who attempted to escaped . I do not think any survivor can forget that march from sundown to midnight, without halt or drink of water 
on a sultry night after a day with the thermometer at about one hundred.
After marching us around over northern Alabama and finding that we could not be sent through the lines to their prisons in the East, we were
 paroled and in a few month exchanged and returned to the regiment.
After we had re-enlisted and returned from "Veteran Furlough" when on the march from Nashville in May, 1864, to join General Sherman's 
army on the  Atlanta campaign, we passed through both Courtland and Moulton and the Court House at Moulton was then used as a 
Confederate hospital . The sick and wounded were sitting around under the shade of the trees looking very comfortable and we did not halt or
disturb them. We marched east about three miles and went into camp and next morning, Sunday, May 29, General Roddy's brigade of cavalry 
attacked our brigade at daybreak, but we defeated him after a sharp fight in which the artilery  played an important part, taking a large number of 
prisoners. We took a good deal of glory in the defeat as Roddy's command was part of Armstrong's brigade when we were captured nearly two 
years before.
I secured a photograph of the old Court House under the following circumstances. When General A. L. Harris was governor of 
Ohio, he received a letter from Judge J.C. Kumpe, residing in Moulton, informing him that a "Morning Report Book of 
Company E, First Ohio Cavalry, was among other books on the shelves in the Court House and that he would be glad to 
send it to any member of the regiment, if the name and address was sent to him." Governor Harris handed the letter to me and 
I immediately answered and sent the required postage. The book was forwarded to me and I delivered it to Captain John 
C.O. Harra, commander of Company E, and it is now in his possession. I then wrote Judge Kumpe, making inquiry 
whether the old Court House was still standing and that if it was I would be pleased to have a photograph of it, if he would 
inform me as to the expense,and through his courtesy, I received the photograph from which the cut was made. The picture 
will remind any of the comrades who may survive of the days of more than fifty-two years ago when we were prisoners of
 war within those walls. The following is an extract from one of Judge Kumpe's letters:
Moulton, Ala., Aug. 19, 1912.
Col. W. L. Curry,
Columbus, Ohio.
Dear Sir: 
"The trees in the yard during the war were tall Black Locust trees, but they were removed several years since, and the trees now
 in the yard are Water Oaks and Sugar Maple. Mt. Hope is 12 miles west of Moulton and Tuscumbia 30 miles Northeast  of 
Moulton. Colonel Roddy, afterwards  Gen. Roddy, moved to New York after the war, went into the cotton business and died 20
 years ago. Many of his men live around this place. This was his home until he went to New York." (Moulton Advertiser 9 Feb 1916)

Confederate Soldier Pays Moulton Visit
P.M. LEMAY of Town Creek, 87 years old and one of our few remaining Confederate veterans, visited Moulton Monday and paid
this office a pleasant call. Mr. LeMay seems to be in good healt and appears to be a man of about 70 years.
Mr. Lemay was in Company I, 11th Alabama Cavalry, Burtwell's regiment under Capt. Crenshaw. He was a great admirer of
General Nathan B. FORREST and had the honor and the pleasure of taking part in the last battle of the Civil War with him at
"The fall of Selma."
After the war Mr. Lemay was parolled by a federal officer in one of the north rooms of the Wheeler home at Wheeler.
Mr Lemay remembers the Freedman's Bureau established at Courtland after the war, shere for about a year, the negroes were
fed by the government. He remembers the old Ku Klux Klan, organized at Pulaski, Tennessee by Gen. Forrest and how they put
a certain element of negroes back in the quarters where they belonged, and how when the government quit feeding them, they went
to work, many of them making good citizens. He remembers when cotton was carried from his section down the river on a
flat-boat to Florence to be marketed. He says the hardest times he ever saw were the two years just prior and the one just
following the close of the Civil War.
Mr Lemay says that we should hark back to the days when every man's cabin was his palace, when peo;le made a living at
home and stayed out of debt and when congressmen were capable of understanding that budgets could be balanced by
reduction of expenditures as well as by an increase in taxes. Submitted by Janice Newman

Moulton Advertiser- Sept 5,1901 ( this was also in the Advertiser on pg B-5 Sept 6,2001)
Extracts from a letter from Capt. John M. McGHEE to this paper. Brownwood, Tx Aug. 24, 1901. Maj. D.C. WHITE
Dear Old Friend- I have been flat of my back for more than a week, and my mind has been continually returning to
Lawrence County and particulary to the dear old red hills of Moutin- to the days when you and I were young and happy;
and the future appeared so birght and rosy to us; and it almost appalls the imagination when ones tries to comprehend the
momentous and wonderful changes that have taken place since those happy days. In 1846 my father was elected sheriff and
moved to Moutlon, I was eight years old. The merchants then, as I recollected them were Hugh D. BOAZMAN, Frank
OWENS, John MOORE, Thomas & Henry WARREN, John MARTIN, and M. WERT. No Little town could boast of a
more honorable, fair dealing set of merchants that they were. They have long since passed over the "great divide" and many
of those who filled their places have also answered the last "roll call". In those days the old town could boast of a class of
citizenship equal to any in the state, good solid people, among them we call to mind,The OWENS,WERTS,McCORDS,
self sire, Col.Nelson H. WHITE, who I had the pleasure of claiming as one of my very best friends.
With good wishes for you I am your friend, John M. McGhee

Revolting Crime Is Charged In Lawrence County. Mrs. PARJAL's Dead and Mutilated Body Found by Railroad and Her Husband
Remanded to Jail Without Bail. A special from Decatur to the daily papers of Monday reads as follows: What seems to have been
one of the most diabolical crimes which has ever been committed in this portion of the state took
place near Hillsboro, in Lawrence county, about twelve miles west of here on the Southern railroad yesterday.
The lifeless and badly mutilated body of Mrs. Emmett Parhal, a white woman, about 21 years of age, was found on the track
of the Suthern Railroad, about one mile this side of Hillsboro, and her husband was at once accused of having murdered her and
placed her body on the railroad track. A passing train mutilated the body to such an extent that it was almost unrecognizable.
Mrs. Parhal was in a delicate condition at the time and it is said that her husband had accused her of being unfaithful to him.
Witnesses say that the two had quarreled in the depot at Trinity before leaving for Hillsboro. They were walking to Hillsboro down
the Southern track at the time of the murder. Parhal claims that he did not murder his wife, but that a passing train which was
unobserved by them struck her before he could assist her in getting off the track.Public sentiment seems to be somewhat divided in
the matter, some believing that the husband is guilty and others believing the story he tells.The coroner of Lawrence county held an
inquest over the body last night, but the decision was not given out. A preliminary trial was held in Hillsboro this afternoon and
Parhal was remanded to jail without bond. He was taken to Moulton, the county seat of Lawrence county.
Luther Hodges, an intelligent negro about 16 years of age, who was a witness before the preliminary trial, told The Advertiser
reporter the following story: "I live at Trinity and work for a well boring company. I knew Mr. Parhal and his wife. They had
been separated for about 6 months. She lived near Hillsboro and he lived near Trinity. He came to Trinity late Saturday and
borrowed my revolver. His wife was there at the time. He did not tell me what he wanted with the revolver. Later I heard that he
and his wife were quarreling in the depot and was advised to go and get my gun from him, which I did. Later they left, walking
down the railroad track in the direction of Hillsboro and Sunday a negro man found Mrs. Parhal's body lying on the railroad track
cut all to pieces. Mr. Parhal could not be found at the time but later saying he had gone only a short distance with her and then
cut across the fields on his way home. Mrs. Parhal had passed her home, some distance from the place where her body was found.
While in Trinity on Saturday evening Mr. Parhal accused his wife of going with another man. I examined the track where the woman
was lying on the railroad and there was no blood there but only grease on the track.She was so badly cut up that you could not tell
whether the train did all of it or not. Mr. Parhal told Constable Pool at Trinity, 'I'll kill her if she doesn't quit following me.' They say
that Mrs. Parhal was in a delicate condition." Parhal was about 21 years of age, and his wife about the same age.
He was a share cropper and resided on a farm near Trininty. (Leighton News 21 Jul 1905) (Note: Last name was Parham.)

In the summer of 1864, seated on the front porch of the old homestead; which nested quietly at the foot of the Grimes Mountain,
in the beautiful and picturesque portion of North Alabama known as the Courtland Valley, were my father and mother. They were
discussing war in general. The old homestead refered to was located three miles from the old and aristocratic town of Courtland.
The big gate (which is still standing to day) opened from the beautiful grove of stately old trees into a public thoroughfare known then
as now, as the Russellville Road.
It was known that a command of Federal soldiers had camped along the line of this road, further down the valley, a day or two
previous, but as nothing more had been learned of their movements up to this time, my parents were beginning to breathe a little
easier; for they had had more than one experience with these passing armies, among whom, as is the case of every body of
soldiers, were a number of pilfering raiders, who had taken everything from the place they could get their hands on; not being
content with taking the horses they also took all the provisions they could find. So it was not strange that they were feeling more
cheerful when they thought the danger about over.
Another most serious complication was, that my father, who was then a young man, about 22 years of age, was a Confederate
soldier and was at home on a furlough; he well knew that the hated "Yankees" would make it exceedingly warm for him, should
they in passing, find him there. As they were discussing these facts, the conversation was brought abruptly to a close by the
appearance of faithful old Ben, the trusted old family servant (who bye the bye, died only a few months ago) announcing to
"Mars Felix" that the "Yankees" had camped down the road about 25 miles distant in the vicinity of Tuscumbia the night before,
and that they were marching up the valley and would more than likely pass the old place within a few hours.
As a natural result of this startling announcement, all was uneasiness and bustle again. Uncle Ben was at once put to work storing
the provisions away to a hiding place of safety, which he did by tearing up the kitchen floor and burying them thereunder.
This having been accomplished, my father remembered that he had several hundred dollars in "Greenback" and also a large sum
of Confederate money. There being a dense skirt of woods directly across the road from the homestead, a bright idea presented
itself to him, he would quietly walk over into those woods, and when certain that he was out of the reach of any human eye he
would safely hide that valuable roll of money; he proceeded among the trees and dense foliage until satisfied that all would be safe,
he then took from his person a long leather pocket book, in which the money had previously been carefully placed, finding close by
a hollow log, he placed the valuable little bundle therein, and after covering it with dead leaves, which were lying thick upon the ground,
he meandered slowly homeward, feeling confident that he would at least have his little sum of money spared him, in case the unwelcome
visitors did come. So confident was he that all would be well that he did not tell my mother what he had done, she all the time thinking
he would either keep what money he had about his person or would make some safe disposition of it.
That night the army arrived and as others had done before it, halted at the gate, they came into the great grove, marched
directly up to the house, which they ransacked from top to bottom. My father in the meantime was safely hid away somewhere
about the premises. The "Yankees" having completed their search finally left, taking with them what they wanted.
My father did not impart to my mother the fact that he had hidden the money away safely in the woods, until after the raiders had
taken their departure, he felt buoyant in that he outwitted them in saving his money. As soon as he deemed it prudent to venture to
do so, he proceeded to the hiding place of his treasure, when he reached the spot he was almost dumbfounded, and no wonder,
for lying all around the end of the log, torn into strips was his Confederate money, instinctively he felt in the pile of leaves within the
hollow of the log for the pocket book, it was there, he opened it, but the valued "Greenback" was gone and in its place was a piece
of brown paper, on which was written in a plain bold hand the inscription "You dam Reb, mind how you hide your money in hollow
Slowly and sadly he turned his face homeward. When he arrived at the gate, his young wife, my mother, was awaiting him there,
as he approached nearer she discovered that something was wrong with him, and she queried, "Papa are you sick?" he answered
her not, but simply handed to her the little piece of brown paper. Of course no other explanation was needed.
The subject of this sketch, which is one of the most eminent divines of the Southern Methodist Church, having occupied the pulpit of
several of its most prominent churches, and is at present the pastor of the leading church in a western city.
Though all these years have passed, he still has in his possession that little piece of brown paper, which he occasionally looks at and
then gives vent to a deep sigh.

Sad Tragedy.
A heart-rending tragedy took place at Hillsboro on Friday evening last, in which one of our best citizens was sent into eternity.
The circumstances, as related to us, are as follows: About 11 o'clock a.m., Mr. June VAUGHAN and Mr. J. L. PARVIN had a fight in
which the former gentleman was considerably worsted. This row was settled by Mr. Albert Vaughan, brother of June, and it was
thought that there would be no more disturbance between the beligerent [sic] parties. The Messrs. VAUGHAN mounted their horses
and went to their homes, some three or four miles in the country. Mr. Sidney VAUGHAN, who was at home, seeing his brother
bruised and bleeding, was greatly exasperated and notwithstanding the pleadings of his young wife, he jumped on his horse and
went to town, followed by his two brothers and a Mr. DUNEVANT, who halted just out-side [sic] of the corporation.
Sidney, mad and bent on vengence, rushed on to the scene of terror. Meeting Mr. Parvin at the depot, he accosted him thusly:
"You have whipped my brother, and it's you I intend to kill ." Mr. PARVIN remarked, "I thought the matter had been settled."
Firing commenced, and Mr. Parvin received three wounds, one ball passing through his heart which caused instant death.
Two shots were fired at Mr. Vaughan, one passing through his left ear and with this slight wound he made his escape and is
now at large. Mr. Parvin was shot down in sight of his invalid wife, who must soon follow him to that "borne from whence no
traveler ever returns." On Sunday following, his body was buried at Red Hill Cemetery, six miles east of this place, where a
large number of people (larger than was ever before seen at a country burial) went to pay the last sad tribute to the departed hero.
Peace, a sacred peace, to the noble dead.Mr. DUNNEVANT, and the Messrs. Albertand June Vaughan were arrested
as being accessery to the killing but gave bond for their appearance at the preliminary trial which commenced in Hillsboro
on Tuesday last. We learn that Sidney, who did the killing, and whose whereabouts is known only to friends, will give himself up
to the proper authorities and stand his trial with the others. Able counsel have been employed on both sides, and without further
comment we leave the people to form their own opinions. They were all our personal friends, considered them quiet, law abiding
gentlemen, and our hearts were made sad when we heard of the lamentable occurrence. (Moulton Advertiser 26 Jul 1877)


A List of Merchants Who Have Done Business in Leighton in the Past Twenty-Five Years.
A. & H. C. Leckey, R. E. Petty, Col. S. J. Leggett, Tom Alexander, John F. Alexander, S. J. Murphy, Capt. J. A. Madding,
T. L. Hall, Mrs. H. C. Leckey, App Little, Kumpe & Young, C. H. Robinson, R. K. Goodwin, W.F. Bell, Robert Cleere.
Carter, Alexander & Company, J. W. Carter & Co., King Bros, Carter & McGwire, P.S. King, McGwire & Goodwin,
J.C. Shaw, Sadler & Alexander, John Moore, H. W. Warren, Moore & Horn, John Galbraith, Watson & Gordon,
McCormack & Pasly, John Wallace, Jas. P. Hennigan, Z. T. Higdon, T. J. McMichael, R. P. Morrison, R. W. Hennigan,
Falk Brothers, Alexander & Looney, H. P. Loony, Wm. Joiner, Rand & Kumpe, Aycock & Galbraith, Lon Little,
Oswald King, Jr., J. M. McGehee, Robt. McGwier, Spangler & Bro., Spragins & Hopkins, W. D. Allen, John D. Vinson,
J. R. Spragins, Spragins & Higdon, J. B. Spragins, E. C. Spragins, Alexander Bros., Slaughter & Carter, Rufe Nichols,
Dr. G. R. Sullivan, Saint Bros., Greenspan & Wiseman, J. H. Hall, McCormack & King, H. Hurley, Higdon & King,
C. N. Sanderson, Hurley & McClung, L.A. Carter, W.F. McGwier, T. L. Hall & Bro., D. G. Mitchel & Co.,
Wiseman & Rosenberg, Wm. McCormack, Krisman & Perry, W. P. Little & Bro.
About sixteen per cent would be an average of this living list who have been and are now tolerably successful.
(Leighton News 2 Mar 1894)


Summary Vengence.
On Friday morning the 20th of May, a young man about 20 years old who lived with his parents about a mile from Tom TERRY's 
dwelling, came to Terry's cow pen, where Mrs. Terry and her little daughter, Mary LOVETT, (a child of her first husband) 11 years 
old were milking, and enquired of Mrs. Terry if she had seen his father's cow. While he was present Mrs. Terry directed Mary to 
go down to the spring and make preparations to do a days washing. Horn was seen by the child to pass near the spring a few 
moments after her arrival, but he did not speak to her. He was next seen in Mr. Terry's field by two of his hands of whom he made 
inquiry of the cow, and was directed by them to go to a certain old field which the cattle frequented. He consented to do so, and 
after asking where Mr. Terry was at work, he left them.
But instead of going in the direction of the old field, he was seen to go towards the spring. What transpired at the spring as reported 
by the child and corroborated by the confession of HORN is as follows: He commenced the conversation with her by asking if she did 
not have to work very hard? He next asked her age and then made indecent proposals to her. This frightened little Mary and to escape
 she said she must "make haste and carry a bucket of water to her mother." When she started to leave the spring, Horn followed and 
attempted to knock her down with a stick. She screamed and fortunately was heard by her mother who was at the house, distant near 
100 yards. He struck her repeatedly, but the child succeeded in parrying the blows from her head, receiving them on her arms, which 
were bruised from the wrists to the elbows. He succeeded in knocking her down at last, and then deliberately cut her throat twice on the
 left side, evidently attempting to sever the carotid arteries. The veins were cut, but owing to the dullness of the knife, the arteries escaped.
 He left her, thinking, he says, that she was dead, but noticing some manifestations of life he returned and cut her across the wind pipe and 
on the right side of the neck. Mary was unconscious, when her mother reached her, having fainted from loss of blood, but after a little while 
she recovered and told who did the fiendish deed. Horn was immediately arrested, confessed his crime, was turned over to the officers of the 
law, and placed in the Calaboose of the town of Courtland.-About 11 o'clock that night a party of men went to the house of the Constable, 
took from him the keys of the prison, and taking therefrom the prisoner, hung him within the corporate limits of the town.
The verdict of the community was, that this monster had, by his villany, placed himself beyond the pale of the law; and the safety 
of the lives and virtue of its daughters, demanded his immediate execution.
The little girl is doing well at this time, and we have the assurance of the attending physician, that she will recover.
(Moulton Advertiser 19 Jun 1874)
Kidnapped and Assassinated.
Hon. W.T. LAWLER, probate Judge of Madison county, was kidnapped and  assassinated, at Huntsville, last Wednesday night.
Judge Lawler lived out some distance from Huntsville on a farm, but was in town on that fatal night attending a Chatauqua with his 
wife when he was called by wire to the probate office where it is presumed the tragedy occurred. He was knocked senseless, taken 
to near Whitesburg, shot twice, weighted down with irons and his body thrown into a slough.Judge Lawler was serving his first term 
and after a bitter campaign had been nominated to succeed himself which no doubt led up to his assassination.
Three men have been arrested and one of them spirited away to Birmingham for safekeeping. Warrants are out for others implicated
in the plot, some of them prominent politicians and excitement runs high throughout Madison county.
Three companies of State troops are in Huntsville on duty and Attorney General MARTIN is also there in person conducting the 
investigation. Judge BRICKELL has convened a special Grand Jury, and horrible developments are expected which will no doubt be 
shocking in the extreme. It is an awful state of affairs, but it only shows what greed for fame and riches will lead some people to do.
(Moulton Advertiser 21 Jun 1916)


Grant McBRIDE tanked up on wild-cat whiskey last Sunday, and then went on the war-path. At the colored church he raised a 
disturbance and broke up a congregation of worshippers. The brethren became indignant and swore out two warrants against 
him, but this only made Grant more furious and he made a break for his double barrel shot gun. He then proceeded to paint the 
town red, and for a time the soft rays of the evening sun bore a livid hue. Whites and blacks alike were threatened, women
 fainted and children screamed, the town was intimidated and laid submissively at his feet, but fortunately Grant fell into the strong 
arms of Deputy Sheriff James T. MASTERSON who very kindly conducted him to a place of safety-to a quiet cell in our County bastile 
(sic) where he is waited on like a king and where he will have ample time for reflection. Grant ordinarily is a peaceable man, a hard
 worker and a good farmer, but moonshine whiskey transforms him into a rattle snake in disposition as it does all who use it. His old 
mother, his young wife, his little child and his sisters are all bowed down with grief, while Grant himself no doubt laments over his 
unfortunate condition.  (Moulton Advertiser 27 Apr 1905)
We learn that 7 out of 9 children have recently died of scarlet fever a few miles west of Moulton. (Moulton Advertiser 27 Nov 1902) 

The dark deeds of last Friday will not be soon forgotten by the people of this place and vicinity. Blood flowed in these streets as it 
never flowed before. Men of strong nerves were shocked at the ghastly sight. The sun had gone down beneath the blue waves, and 
the dim star-light added horror to the sickening  scene. Upon the ground in the red mud was the life-less form of Elijah PARKER. 
Over his body was a weeping brother, and not far away was Alexander ALRED groaning in the agonies of death; and still further on 
the hurrying horsemen caught James Alred, who was also seriously wounded. He was brought back, and with James Parker, was 
imprisoned in the county jail until the next morning.
The circumstances are as follows: Friday evening, James Alred and his son Alex were in town, and under the influence of whiskey, 
were ready to revenge any wrong. James Parker was also in town, drinking and acting in a shameful manner. His bro. Elijah Parker, 
seeing that James was robbed of his reason tried to get him home. A negro and one of the Alred boys wrestled in which the negro was 
thrown, and from this the fight was started; Result:-Elijah Parker was killed by a pistol shot entering his right breast, near the nipple; 
Jas. Parker was badly, but not dangerously cut on the body and head; James Alred was seriously cut in the back of the neck; 
Alex Alred received an ugly stab in the back under the right shoulder blade, which may prove fatal and end his earthly career. The three 
living combatants have been bound over to appear at the next term of our circuit court; but Elijah, where is he? Before whose great 
tribunal did he appear, and was he prepared for the final judgement? Before whom was he tried, and who advocated his cause? His 
warfare is over; over his grave a wife stands weeping, and around her feet are two fatherless little girls. Gloom, dark and thick, settles 
around the hearthstone. The wail of the widow is heard surging up from a broken heart; the orphan's cry comes piercing into our ears; the 
groans of a hoary bearded father, and the sobs of an aged mother, tell of the grief and sorrow which hover around their homes. But the 
heart grows sick; we lay the pen aside, and in doing so, would throw the mantle of Charity over the whole scene.
(Moulton Advertiser 21 Apr 1876)

On Monday night of last week Bob RAINS murdered his brother, Bones Rains, who enjoyed the reputation of being a quiet citizen. He left part o f the knife blade, with which he struck the fatal blow, sticking in his brother's body. The crime was committed just across the line in Morgan county,and of course the trial will be at Somerville. When arrested in Moulton on Thursday following,

Bob said he did not know that his brother was dead. This reminds us of the Bible account of Cain killing his brother, a synopsis of
which will be found in the fourth chapter of Genesis-"And Cain talked with Abel his brother; and it came to pass, when they were in
the field, that Cain rose up against his brother and slew him. And the Lord said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said,
I know not. Am I my brother's keeper?"Deputy Sheriff, James M. ECHOLS, came down Friday and carried Rains to Morgan county.
A large crowd gathered at the jail to see the prisoner leave,who bowed politely to all as he stepped into the hack.
Bones Rains, who was killed by his brother, was a Baptist preacher. We learn the gentlemen who captured Bob are about to
rake in $400 as a reward. Again-we hear that Bob has been lynched and then we hear it contradicted. Still again-we hear that
Bob and Bones murdered WILLIAMS, the mail rider and were fighting over the stolen money when Bones was killed.
(Moulton Advertiser 17 Jan 1889)

Mrs. Ruth J. SCIVALLEY Murdered Last Friday
News was received here late Friday afternoon that Mrs. Scivalley, who resided a few miles east of town, had been murdered.
Granville Scivalley, her son, who is said to be crazy, has been arrested and is in jail here charged with the crime.
The boy shot Mrs. Scivalley in the head with a shotgun, tearing away a large part of one side of her head. After committing the
crime he started for Decatur, and was riding on the Standard Oil wagon which was on the return trip from Moulton. Sheriff Lee
was notified of the crime and called the sheriff of Morgan County who sent a deputy out to meet the oil wagon and arrested the
boy and placed him in the Morgan County jail. He was brought back here Sunday and placed in jail.
The boy has been to the asylum twice, but his mother had secured his release. His father and brother both met violent deaths said
to have been caused by the acts of the boy, who is now the murderer of his mother.
(Moulton Advertiser 20 Feb 1918)

Public Sale,
March 18, 1897
Circuit Court
The criminal week of the Lawrence County Circuit court adjourned last Thurday. Below are the name of those who will
sever the State for the nest few years, and they are all able bodied men. Henry SEARCHY, a negro, goes down for 50 months for grand larceny. Dallas HIGHTOWER, the post office burglar, plead guilty and get 25 months. Rufus WILLIAMS, for aiding prisoners to escape, plead gulity and tool the lowest sentence. We learn that there is a movement on foot to have him pardoned, and we hope it will suceed. Rufus iMoulton Advertiser,Thursday December 14,1882

Indians- We understand that about 40 Carets & warriors of the Chickasaw Nation passed through Tuscumbia on Monday last, on their way to Franklin Tennessee. (CH 8-20-1820 )

I hereby forward all persons from trading for a note on me for Thirty Five dollard made payable to Oliver U. Kid given on June last and due 25th day of December next, as I am determined never to pay it, it being fraudulendy obtained. David KNOTT (CH 7-8-1830)

Hillsboro Hotell
J.T. LANDERS Proprietor
The proprietor calls the attention of the public to the well known fact that his house is neatly and well furnished, and is prepared to give those who stop with him the best accommodations. Meals gotten up on short notice and in super style. Keeps always on hand a full supply of oysters, besides all the deheacies of the season. Polite clerks and servants in attendance. J.T. Landers, Prop'r Hillsboro, Ala (2-27-1879)

Dr. C.J. Massenburg- Having removed to Wm.R. Hanserd, Esq, in Simm's settlement, offer his professional services to the public. Strict and close attention will be give in all cases submitted to this care. Charges moderate. 2-11-1842 (AS 2-10-1842)                  

Hillsboro, Ala., May 20, 1892
Messrs. WHITE & WHITE:
Sirs;There was a difficulty on last Sunday evening, between Mr. Will SHELTON and Mr. John TATHAM. It occurred at my father's house
at the Chalybeate spring. It seems that Mr. Tatham was gaining the attention of my sister, Maggie, over Mr. SHELTON, when Shelton
wrote her a note requesting her to discard Tatham. She answered no. Then Shelton called to Tatham that there was a settlement to
make between them. Tatham answered, anywhere besides here, and before Tatham could get his hat Shelton drew his pistol, but
Maggie runs between them, and as Shelton had to fire over her shoulder, he missed Tatham; then as Shelton went out the door
Tatham fired, the ball passing over Shelton's head and entered the wall of the house in the hall. As my father got there about this
time, he got the matter settled without any blood being shed.
Yours truly,
S. A. McBRIDE (Moulton Advertiser 26 May 1892) (Note: Willie Shelton to Maggie McBride married 6-Jul-1892)

In Chancery:  Fourth District North Western Chancery Division, C. F. CROW vs. G. W. LONG.  Defendants A. L. LONG and Fount LONG are non-residents of Ala. And that A. L. LONG resides at Cuba in the state of Texas and the Fount LONG resides at Waxahachie in the state of Texas.  The said A. L. and Fount LONG to answer or demur to the bill of complaint in this cause by the 24th day of Jan. 1898, etc.  D. C. GOODLETT, Register. ( MA December 30, 1897)

Sale of Estate of Obediah Stover, Desceased
The undersigned administrator fo the Estate of Obediah Stover, late of said county, deceased, by virtue of an order made by the Honorable Probate Court of Lawrence County, Alabama, will offer for sale, on the premises fo said decedent, in said county, on the 14th day of June 1869, the land belonging to said estate as follows, to wit:
The SE 1/4 of SW 1/4 of Section 35; the W 1/2 of SW 1/4; teh NE 1/4 of SW 1/4,and the SW 1/4 of SE 1/4 of Section 35; the SW 1/4 of SW 1/4 of Section 27; the N 1/2 of NW 1/4 of Section 31; the SE 1/4 of SW 1/4 of Section 27; the SW 1/4 of NW 1/4 Section 12; and the SE 1/4 of NE 1/4 of Section 33; all in Township 8 Range 6 west for one half cash and balance due 1st of January 1870. Purchaser will be required to give note with two and more good and sufficient securities, and a lien retained on the land to secure the payment of last half.
D. DAY, Adm'r of O. STOVER, dec'd May 24th, 1869 (MA Jun 11, 1869) Contributed by: Charity Goodwin

During my absence, MR Wm E. WALKER will attend to my business. Those who are indebted to me are requested to make payment to him.
John ANDERSON (CH 8-20-1830)

Mrs. Martha Jane WILLIAMS of Templeton, in trying to keep and infant from killing itself the other day, fell against the door facing and
cut a great gash in her forehead. Dr. Price Martin examined the wound and while the skull is believed to be cracked, teh poor woman is doing
very well. (MA 3-12-1903)

A Bloody Deed
On Thursday night of last week a dark and bloody deed was committed in Courtland.A man by the name of WILLIAMSON--formerly a successful prize fighter of Canada--was murdered and robbed.He had been on a big drunk,was pit in the calaboose several time's and as often taken out by his brother.His head was crushed to a jelly,his body stripped of it's clothing and placed ,on the R.R.tract,but was discovered and removed before being mutilated by the train.The investigation is still going on,and the only reliable information that we could obtain is that William D.MAYFIELD, formerly of Moulton and at the time of the killing Marshall of Courtland,with two negroes,having been arrested,charged with the crime.Of MAYFIELD and the negroes  are guilty they should be severly punished and if innocent, they must be acquitted.We hope to be able to give our reader's a full account of this shocking crime in our next issue.We wil state that Mr.W.T.SIMMONS,who was foreman of the investigating jury,deserve much praise for his efforts to ferret out the guilty parties.
Contributed by:
[email protected]s needed at home to assist in feeding and clothing his family. There were three jury tials, resulting in one conviction and two acquittals. Bob MARTIN was acquitted of the charge of embezzlement and Pat BANKSTON of the charge of arson. Two men were released from prison, and there are five in jail, among thme a spectacle gentleman who is charged with running a gambling house in Courtland.On Saturday the 27th instant at the plantation of Benjamin S. POPE on the west side of the Meridian road, seven miles north of
Huntsville. Will be sold to the highest bidder, the following property belonging to Alexander Pope (who has removed from the
county) viz:
Household and kitchen furniture consisting of mahogany dining, card and tea tables, beaureau, candle stand chairs, bedsteads,
and bedding, bed and table linen, glass china and table ware, parlour and chamber glasses, time-piece, fowling pieces, a
collection of fancy prints with general variety of useful and valuable articles in house keeping-also two light waggons, plantation
tools, several head of horses, merino sheep, cattle with several likely negroes among whom is a good cook wench. All sums
under 50 dollars cash, all sums over that amount a credit of 90 days, with approved security. Sale to commence at 10 o'clock.
B.S. Pope, John D. BIBBS, Agents for A. Pope. (Huntsville Republican 23 Dec 1817)

We have just learned the murder of Mr. Flaval Vivian, at his residence near Washington Court house, on Monday Night Last. He was settling at the supper table and was shot through the door which was standing open. Mr. V was one of the most respectable citizens of Washington County and not having had a quarrel with anyone, suspicion is at a loss upon who to settle. Moblie Chron. (MB 8-21-1839)

MA= Moulton Advertiser
TU= The Union
ASW=Alabama State Wheel
FL= Friend of the Laborer
LA=Leighton News
CE=Courtland Enterprise
CH-Courtland Herald
MB- Moulton Banner
AS-Alabama Statesman