Jackson County historical timeli

Jackson County historical timeline

1760  The Cherokee had 64 large towns starting at Guntersville and spread north along the Tennessee River. The largest was at Crow Creek, one half mile north of the river. There were other local towns at Sauta, Nickajack, Long Island, and some smaller towns in Paint Rock valley.
1767 Lt. Timberlake brought some early white settlers to this area, who did not stay because of Indian trouble.
1775 US Declaration of Independence
1784 Known Indian village at Sauta
1785 A land office was attempted to be established in the Bridgeport area to sell lands of the "Great Bend" .Indians resisted. This area was claimed by the sate of Georgia at that time.
1789 Attempt to sell local land by The Tennessee Land Company
1790 Yazoo Land Company attempted land sales
1793 Eli Whitney invented the cotton gin
1800 The Cherokee resisted an attempt by the government to get them to give up local lands. White settlers were reported living near Sauta.
1805 Georgia Road completed between Savannah and Nashville. Route near NE Jackson County.
1812 War of 1812
1813-14 Alabama Creek Indian wars.

White settlers in Paint Rock Valley and Doran Cove area.

1816 Immigration into the area grew and there was a great demand and shortage of corn
1819 Area officially open to settlers Feb 17. Cherokee ceded lad north of the river, then called The Cherokee. Alabama admitted to Union Dec 13. Jackson county became a county with the county seat at Sauta. Court was held in Sauta Cave.

Mud Creek Baptist Church established

  Bellefonte area had been purchased by Stephen Carter and G. W. Higgins from James Riley, a Cherokee who received a 640-acre reserve under Cherokee Treaty of 1819. These two men donated land for the court house.
1820 Population 8,129 white, 622 black. Squatters were living among Indians prior to this date. Sequoyah reportedly presented his alphabet to the Cherokee near old Sauta.

First mail route established from Huntsville into Jackson County.

1821 Sauta had all but died out. A mail route was established at Bellefonte

Mud Creek Association formed.

1822 Larkins settled at Larkinsville and bought a great amount of land.
1823 A post office was established at Bolivar and at Woodville . The Cherokee formed the Cherokee nation to resist the attempt to take their lands.
1828 The "Atlas" steamboat came up the Tennessee River. Courthouse completed at Bellefonte
1830 Population 11,418 white. 1,282 black. Woodville was a prosperous village. River canal dug at Huntsville.
1831 Sam Moore from Bellefonte became Governor.
1833 The Cherokee accepted an agreement to move to their western lands..
1834 There was a school at Bolivar. Coffetown was growing, now Langston. Robert Scott came to Bellefonte.
1835 Citizens could work on roads in late summer in lieu of paying taxes. . LAST CHEROKEE TREATY was Treaty of New Echota signed December 29, 1835.
1836 Cherokee cession. Area south of the Tennessee River added to the county and opened for settlement. Camden founded at present day Paint Rock.

Seminole Indian wars. Jackson County men went to fight.

General Road law enacted, required men to work 10 days repairing/building local roads.

1838 Mail route in the Big/Little coon areas.
1839 Robert Scott received his first local land grant
1840 Population 13,868 white. 1,852 black. School at Pleasant Grove. Coffetown rivaled Bellefonte as river port
1842 First land titles issued for land on Sand mountain, land south of the river
1846 Bellefonte Era newspaper published
1847 Post office at Birmingham, now Princeton.
1849 Birmingham named changed to Princeton.
1850 Population 11,754 whites. 2,334 black. Settlers at Pisgah. Robert Scott moved to Scott's mill area
1854 Jonesville had a post office. Name changed to Bridgeport. Post office at Scott's Mill.

Tracks of Nashville, Chattanooga, and St. Louis Railroad were completed from Bass through Stevenson and Bridgeport on to Chattanooga

1856 Tracks of Memphis and Charleston Railroad were completed from Decatur to STEVENSON
1857 Memphis and Charleston RR signed contract with NC&STL to run their rail cars from Memphis on in to Chattanooga over the NC&STL tracks from Stevenson to Chattanooga.
1858 Growth started around depot at Samples, now Hollywood
1860 Population 14,811 whites. 3,472 blacks. Freight depot built at Scotts Mill. Settlement was on the north side of the RR tracks.
1861 Name of Scott's Mill changed to Scottsborough. WBTS started
1865 WBTS ended. Bellefonte and Bridgeport had been almost destroyed.
1868 Vote to move the Court house to Scottsborough near center of the county and on the railroad . County records moved to Scottsborough. City was incorporated and the name changed to Scottsboro, population 370.
1870 Population 16,350 whites. 3,060 blacks.
1871 Masonic hall built in Scottsboro
1875 Austin College built at Stevenson
1876 Camden renamed Paint Rock. Post office at Fern Cliff on Sand Mountain.
1879 A railroad line was started off the main line at Limrock to run to Belmount Coal Mine on Cumberland Mountain.
1880 Population 21,074 whites. 4,033 blacks
1881 There were four water powered gins in Crow valley. Great Scottsboro fire occurred-Feb
1883 Scottsville Manufacturing Company, that made bridges and trams was started in Scottsboro. It failed by 1890.

Porter house burned with family inside. Hughes boys convicted and hanged for the crime.

1887 Northern capitalist moved to Bridgeport the town boomed and grew to 5,000 by 1890
1889 A small college was started at Scottsboro.
1890 Population 24,000 whites. 3,800 blacks
1891 Scottsboro population 960
1893 Panic caused failure of Bridgeport boom
1899 Langston incorporated
1900 Population 26,000 whites. 3,600 blacks
1930  Great depression , Scottsboro Boys trial

TVA worked to build dams

1941 WWII
2005 County population 55,000, Scottsboro 16,000