ophir plantation


Ophir Plantation

Location: six miles northwest of Pinopolis; Berkeley Co., SC
Constructed: ----

History: Ophir Plantation, six miles northwest of Pinopolis, is one of the ancestral homes of the Porcher family. First owned by a Porcher, it has never passed out of the hands of the family, and is now owned by Henry F. Porcher, of Memphis. Of all the old Porcher estates, only Cedar Spring and Ophir remain in the hands of the family.

From the time of its appearance in Carolina, the Porcher name spread rapidly. Isaac Porcher, M. D., the Huguenot emigrant, whose Huguenot Bible (now two hundred and twenty-eight years old) is still owned by his descendants in Pinopolis, arrived in 1685. Before his death in 1727 he either owned or had owned property at Jamestown Santee, Orange Quarter on the eastern branch of Cooper River, Goose Creek French settlement and upper waters of Ashley River. His descendants prospered and spread rapidly throughout lower, middle and upper St. John's and St. Stephen's Parishes. It was the emigrant's grandson, Peter Porcher, of Peru, who first secured Ophir some time prior to the Revolution. Upon his death in 1793, Peter left his three sons his three plantations, Peru, Mexico and Ophir. His second son, Colonel Thomas Porcher inherited Ophir and built the house there about 1816. He is the ancestor of all the "Ophir Porchers," and many there are: twenty-four children, fourteen of whom lived to maturity. A large church was built for the plantation slaves, remains of which were standing until a few years ago.

Associated Surnames: Porcher

Associated Plantations: Cedar Springs (Berkeley Co., SC); Mexico Plantation (Berkeley Co., SC); Peru Plantation (Berkeley Co., SC)

Associated Free White Names

Associated Black Slave Names


Description of Associated Architecture