Alberta GenWeb Digital Archives

Alberta GenWeb Digital Archives
NOTICE: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed Alberta Digital archivist with proof of this consent. The submitter has given permission to the Alberta Digital Archives to store the file permanently for free access.

COUNTY OF TWO HILLS No. 21 - Excerpts taken from the "Story of Rural Municipal 
Government in Alberta 1909 to 1983" by the Association of the Municipal 
Districts and Counties

Contributed for use in Alberta Digital Archives by Darlene Homme 


Canada needed strong, hard-working men to open the vast unbroken, uninhabited 
lands of the West. In 1896 Clifford Sifton, a young Manitoba lawyer, offered a 
solution-the mass immigration of sturdy central Europeans. Sir Wilfred Laurier, 
then Prime Minister, accepted Sifton's idea and between 1896 and 1914, many 
thousand immigrants came to Canada, some of them settling in the north-eastern 
oart of Alberta, the nresentCountv of Two Hills No. 21.

The earliest available record of the institutions of our local government is 
contained in the minute book of L.I.D. No. 27-M-4 wherein it states that the 
L.l.D. was first organized in August of 1904, comprising of townships 53 and 54 
in ranges 15 and 16, west of the 4th meridian. The first meeting of the council 
was held on January 20, 1905, with Joe Czerniawsky as chairman and councillors 
Yan Turczyn, Miron Voroszczuk, and Peter Svarich. Peter Svarich was also the 

On April 8. 1905 the first meeting of L.I.D. No. 27-J-4 for townships 53 and 54 
in ranges 13 and 14 was held in the Fairwood school house with E.H. Wynn-
McKenzie secretary-treasurer, Dan McColman chairman, and councillors J. W. J. 
Laird, J. E. Mahaffey and Wieler.

Local Improvement District No. 28-J-4 with Townships 56 and 57 range 12 as 
Division 1; township 55 range 13 as Division 2; townships 56 and 57 range 13, 
Division 3; township 55 range 14, Division 4; and townships 56 and 57 range 14, 
Division 5; all south of the North Saskatchewan River, was organized in 1905. 
The first council meeting was held at Soda Lake on May 12th. The Councillors 
were Alexa Lusak, Prokop Iliuk, Elias Rawluk, Jos. H. Weber, and Albert Paradis. 
Jos. H. Weber was elected chairman and A.M. Boutillier, secretary-treasurer. On 
February 10th, 1906 Jas. E. Cunningham was hired secretary-treasurer for $50.00 
per annum, holding that position until 1909 when C.T. McGowan's application was 
accepted at $85.00 per year. It is interesting to note that in Division 1 there 
were only four ratepayers, hence the council requested the Department for 
permission that it become part of Division 3.

Local Improvement District No. 27-H-4 was established in 1909, the first council 
meeting being held of May 3rd at the home of R. C. Fife on SW32-54-12-W4. The 
councillors were Herman Blok for Division 1, comprised of township 53 range 11; 
Maxim Tomyn for Division 2, township 53 range 12; R.C. Fife for Division 3, 
township 54 range 12; and Harry Chomik for Division 4, township 54 range 11. 
Maxim Tomyn was elected chairman and G.L. Smith appointed secretary-treasurer at 
an annual salary of $80.00. In 1911 Mr. Smith retired and Maxim Tomyn became the 
secretary-treasurer holding the position until December of 1940.

The evolution of local government of the present County of Two Hills No. 21 may 
be divided into five phases. The first phase is that of Local Improvement 
Districts described above. During the period of 1904 to 1917, school districts 
were set up with one-room and two-room schools dotting the area. Many settlers 
came from the Ukraine, Romania, and other parts of Europe and such names as 
Myrnam (peace to us), Sober (assembly). Slawa (glory) Boian Marea, Pobeda, 
Pruth, Luzan, Borowich, Krasnohora, (beautiful hill), Szypenitz, Beauvallon, St. 
Laurent and Brosseau were given to schools, post offices, and districts. The 
immigrants were God-loving and God-fearing people. Many churches were built and 
on Sunday, after a hard week's work, families travelled by wagon, buggy or 
democrat to give thanks for the freedom and happiness they were enjoying, 
freedom which they did not have in the old country. Community halls were built 
so that they could assemble for plays concerts, educational and entertaining 

Early road work in local improvement districts consisted mainly of cutting down 
high spots, filling low places and building small bridges so that traffic could 
move about. The first marketing centre was Edmonton, about 100 miles away, and a 
little later, Vegreville. Road building and repairing equipment consisted of 
road plows, two- horse slips, and four horse fresnos. The road crew usually 
consisted of a foreman, a plow team, two or three fresnos, and men to help dump 
the fresnos. The daily wage was $3.00 per team of 4 horses and $2.50 for the 
foreman. In most cases the earnings were applied on taxes which were levied at 
the rate of from 2 cents to 3% cents per acre.

Phase two covers the period from 1917 to 1944, local improvement districts being 
formed into nine-township Municipal Districts. L.I.D. No. 27-M-4 and L.I.D. No. 
27-J-4 became the Municipal District of Norma No. 515, with its offices in 
Vegreville, secretary-treasurer N. Mcintyre; Reeve, O.F. Johnson and first 
councillors John Dobko, Jas. Wilson, W. Malarski, T. Hodgins and D. Shyshiak. In 
1918 L.I.D. No. 28-J-4 became the Municipal District of Eagle No. 545 with A. M. 
Boutiilier secretary-treasurer; Stefan EIiuk, Reeve, and councillors Geo. 
Cucuirian, John Duger, Alex Gordey, Geo. Strynadka, and John Holowajczuk. In the 
same year L.l.D. No. 27-H-4 became the Municipal District of Sobor No. 514. Its 
secretary-treasurer was Maxim Tomyn; Reeve, Wasyl Humen, and councillors Wm. 
Koshuta, John Lyzanchuk, Win. Buk, and George Chomik.

It is regrettable that there are no records for Local Improvement Districts for 
townships 53, 54 and 55 in ranges 7, 8 and 9, being the Myrnam and Derwent 
areas. The minute book available starts with the second meeting of the council 
for the Municipal District of Ukraina No. 513, held on March 26th, 1921. The 
councillors attending the meeting were Peter Bielich, Win. Koluk, Joe Caruk, Dan 
Yacey, Peter Makohonyk, and A. Pankow. The secretary-treasurer was N. Bednarsky. 
On October 15th, 1921, K. Maughan was appointed secretary-treasurer until his 
resignation in October, 1924. John Gereluk was then hired and continued in 
office until 1938.

During the years 1917 to 1944 much progress was made. The Canadian Pacific 
Railway was constructed in 1928, running from west to east across the Municipal 
Districts of Eagle, Sobor, and Ukraina. Hamlets of Whitford, Kaleland, Musidora, 
Morecambe, Beauvallon, and Slawa, and villages of Willingdon, Hairy Hill, Two 
Hills, Myrnam, and Derwent sprang up. Myrnam and Vegreville Municipal Hospital 
Districts were organized. Willingdon private hospital was built. Municipal 
District of Norma purchased International TD 18 tractor and scraper. Municipal 
District of Eagle purchased its first Caterpillar 60 tractor and scraper and in 
1942, the Municipal District of Ukraina purchased an Adams 412 grader. Roads 
were greatly improved. Agriculture being the basic occupation of the residents 
of the district, worthy contributions were made by District Agriculturists, Wm. 
Pidruchney, Alex Charnestski, Fred Magera, and District Home Economist Hanka 

The third stage evolved in 1944, the four Municipal Districts amalgamated to 
form the large unit, the Municipal District of Eagle No. 81. In the February 
General Election for councillors there were twenty-seven candidates. Ejected 
were Mike Karpchuk for Division 1; Mike Chmilar, Division 2; Win. F. Elkow, 
Division 3; Win. Chrapko, Division 4; Tom J. Horon, Division 5; Dan Lutzak, 
Division 6; and, Win. A. Yusep, Division 7. At its first meeting held at 
Vegreville on March 8, 1944 - S.P. Mulka was appointed secretary-treasurer, John 
Tomyn, Assistant, Mary Ropchan, Stenographer, and Steve Petasky as clerk. The 
office was located in Two Hills in a building donated by the Two Hills Board of 
Trade. Honorable mention should be made of E.H. Wynn-McKenzie, secretary-
treasurer from 1905 to 1944, Maxim Tomyn, secretary-treasurer from 1917 to 1940, 
A.M. Boutillier from 1914 to 1942 and John Gereluk from 1924 to 1938. They 
served faithfully and made valuable contributions.

In 1944 the first road from Two Hills to Highway No. 16 at Lavoy was gravelled. 
During the period the Two Hills Municipal Hospital Distrtct was established. The 
Agricultural Service Board was organized in 1945. This brought a closer liason 
between the Department of Agriculture, the council and the farmers. The first 
very efficient field supervisor was P.M. Shavchook, and with Fred Magera as 
District Agriculturist, they devised and carried out agricultural programs 
designated for the betterment of farming in the Municipality. Between the years 
1944 and 1955, seed cleaning plants were built at Vegreville, Willingdon and 
Myrnam. Agricultural programs of Brucellosis control, tree planting, use of weed 
chemicals, and cattle spraying were developed.

In 1955 the fourth stage of local government, the co-terminous boundary unit of 
the Municipal District of Eagle No. 81. was set up. For many years the small 
school districts were a separate entity providing educational needs in the 
communities by authority unto themselves and the Provincial Government. In 1937 
the small districts disappeared and the enlarged school unit, the Two Hills 
School Division No. 21 was formed. School superintendents F. Hannochko and N. 
Myskiw and secretary-treasurers W. Halina, E. Boida, S. Petasky, and P.M. 
Shavchotk contributed a great deal to the progress in education in the area.

In establishing the co-terminous boundaries, the Municipal District of Eagle No. 
81, lost nine townships to the County of Minburn, of the former Norma 
Municipality. Areas gained were four miles of townships 53,54 and part 55 in 
range 6 south of the North Saskatchewan River and township 56 range 12 part of 
town-ship 56 range 11 north of the Saskatchewan River. The number of electoral 
div-isions was reduced from seven to five. In 1959 the Two Hills School Division 
and the Municipal District agreed to build a joint office. In 1960 the office 
building, one of the finest in the Province at that time, was erected at Two 
Hills. Co-op-eration between the two bodies was excellent leading to the fifth 
and final stage of local government, that of the County system of 

On January 1, 1963 the County of Two Hills No. 21 was established. The 
administrative body of the county comprised of Reeve J. Dudar, councillors, P. 
Mudrvk, A. Boida, G. Harasym, M. Mehalcheon. J.A. Tkachuk and L. Hutskal; 
secretary-treasurer S.P. Mulka; assistant secretary-treasurer P.M. Shavchook; 
super-intendent N. Myskiw; and Field Supervisor. M. Mudrvk. The County Council 
and the town and village representatives, Geo. E. Pawliuk, Win. Chorney, and M. 
Karbashewsky were the school committee with chairman, G. Harasym.

The County has an area of 671,690 acres inclusive ot lana and water. The total 
assessed valued for 1969 taxation purposes as determined by the general 
assessment is $12,137,700. Its boundaries are defined by County of Minburn to 
the south, County of Vermilion River to the East, County of Lamont on the west, 
and the North Saskatchewan River to the north, with township 56 range 12 and 
part of township 56 range 11 north of the River. Three bridges span the North 
Saskatchewan River, the Elk Point bridge, the Duvernay bridge and the Shandro 
bridge. The fourth bridge at Myrnam is presently under construction. According 
to 1966 census, the population is 5.528. its market centres being the town of 
Two Hills, and villages of Derwent, Myrnain, Hairy Hill and Willingdon. At 
Duvernay, seven miles north of Two Hills, the Western Chemicals Ltd, (now 
Chemcell Limited) have a chlorine and caustic soda plant. The plant is an asset 
to the County in that it provides employment to many residents and contributes 
to the taxes levied.

The County is served with health unit facilities having the Minburn-Vermilion 
and Vegreville Health Units. The Vegreville health unit has a sub office at Two 
Hills. Hospital services are provided by the Myrnam, Two Hills and Willingdon 
Another service provided for the ratepayers is recreational facilities at Sunset 
Lake, Lao Sante, and Sandy Lake, Picnic grounds are available at Luzan and 

The County has a full line of modern road building equipment. Its 1044 miles of 
gravelied roads and 552 miles of improved dirt roads are maintained regularly 
and kept open year round to traffic and to 38 contracted school buses, conveying 
1343 pupils to five centres. The Department of Highways maintains 28 miles of 
paved Highway No.36; 12 miles of bituminous and 58 miles of gravelled Highway 
No. 45; 5 miles of paved and 8 miles of gravelled Highway No. 41.

From 1946 to 1969, John A. Tkachuk served as reeve, councillar, chairman of the 
School Committee, the Agricultural Service Board and the Vegreville Health Unit. 
He devoted his services unselfishly and for his contributions he was awarded the 
Centennial Medal. To those who have not been recorded but who contributed to the 
welfare and successful operation of local government, we express our sincere 


During the years 1969 to 1982, much progress was made. Alberta Transportation 
paved the following Secondary Roads within the County of Two Hills No. 21:

-	S.R. 881 - 15 miles
-	S.R. 857-8 miles
-     S.R. 637-10 miles

The natural gas activity boomed with the construction of 10 gas plants within 
the county-these being constructed and operated by the following:

-	Westmin - 5
-	Merland -3
-	Hudson's Bay- 1
-	Provident - 1

Also, there are presently 800 gas wells and 10 oil wells within the county 

The County of Two Hills also constructed its own natural gas utility in 1975 for 
the supply of Natural Gas to its rural people, with the present hook-up or 
burners being 883.

Western Truck Body Limited took over the chemical plant after its shut down, and 
presently manufactures truck boxes for all types of trucks - e.g. A.G.T., 
Alberta Power, etc.

Alberta Transportation constructed a new airport within the county in 1980, 
which is in joint ownership with the Town of Two Hills.

Two major lakes within the county (Sandy Lake & Lac Sante) were developed, 
producing 31 lots at Sandy Lake and 120 lots at Lac Sante which provides 
recreation areas for the county residents and urban people.

Alberta Transportation also constructed two (2) open bridges within the county. 
One north of Myrnam on S.R. 881 and the other located between the Hamlets of 
Duvernay and Brosseau on Highway No. 36. Both bridges cross the North 
Saskatchewan River.

In the past decade, farming operations have quadrupled in size due to 
modernization and mechanization. There are presently a number of extensive hog 
operations, a few poultry operations and one buffalo ranch within the county 

Since the period 1969 to 1982, five municipal elections were held within the 
County of Two Hills No. 21 with the results being as follows:


Division 1 - Peter Mudryk- 1958- Nov. 1971
-J.R. Bober- Nov. 1971 to present 

Division 2-John Dudar- 1956 to present

Division 3- Fred Hasiuk - June, 1968 - Oct. 1977
	-June, 1980 to present
- Alexander Boida - Oct., 1977 - Sept., 1979 (deceased)
Division 4- Robert Bachelet - Nov., 1969 - Nov., 1980
- Marshall Kotowich - Nov., 1980 to present 
Division 5- Walter Verenak - Nov., 1967 to present 

Division 6-Dennis Ursuliak- Nov., 1967- Oct., 1980
- Metro Stefaniuk - Oct., 1980 to present 
Division 7- Bill T. Kokotailo - Nov., 1968 - Oct., 1980
-	Nick Dushenski - Oct., 1980 to present

School Trustees

Derwent - John F. Fedechko - Oct., 1969 - Oct., 1971
-John Mudryk-Oct., 1971 -Oct., 1977
- Frank Bielech - Oct., 1977 to present 
Myrnam - M. Kaluzniak- 1969- Oct., 1971
-P. Pawluski-Oct., 1971 -Oct., 1974
-	Sylvia Yacey - Oct., 1974 - Oct., 1977
- Mary Karbashewski - Oct., 1977 to present 
Two Hills - George E. Pawliuk- 1969- Oct., 1977
- Steve Shybunka, Oct., 1977 to present 
Hairy Hill - Steve Bidulock - 1969 to present

Willingdon - Lloyd Babiuk - 1969 - Oct., 1980
-	Georgina Hauca - Oct., 1980 to present

During the period 1969 to 1982 Office Administration was as follows:

S.R Mulka-to June, 1972
D.M. Hassen - July, 1972 to September, 1973
S.R Mulka - September, 1973 to January, 1974
RW Marcichiw-January, 1974 to June, 1977
G.N. Popowich -	June, 1977 to present (Now County Administrator)

Assistant Secretary-Treasurers
PM. Shavchook-to January, 1972
Marshall Mudryk- February, 1972 to September, 1973
G.N. Popowich-January, 1977 to June, 1977
Ed Heberling-August, 1978 to February, 1980
Mike Majcher-September, 1980 to November, 1981
John Kozmak- February, 1982 to present

N.	Myskiw-to June, 1971
WA. Cherniwchan-June, 1971 to August, 1978
R.H. Cunningham-August, 1978to November, 1978 (Acting)
D.L. Yakimowich - December, 1978 to present

Contact |  Copyright 1997-2011 ALBERTAGenWeb