|P. E. MARKHAM.|
P. E. Markham, mayor of Cody and one of the well known
sheep raisers of Wyoming, belongs to that alert type of American
citizens who is ever ready to utilize an opportunity for the
legitimate advancement of individual fortunes or for the promotion of
public good, and so well balanced is he that he never concentrates
his attention upon one line to the exclusion of the other,
recognizing that his duty lies in both directions. A native of
West Virginia. Mr. Markham was born February 23, 1860, a
son of John E. and Olivia (Deardorff) Markham, both of whom spent
their entire lives in West Virginia. where the father followed the
occupation of farming as a life work.
P. E. Markham is indebted to the public school system of West Virginia for the educational opportunities which he enjoyed. He was reared in the usual manner of farm lads and on attaining his majority left home and set out to see the country. He spent one summer in Ohio and Indiana and from that section drifted on west to Iowa and Nebraska. He worked for wages as a farm hand in Iowa for one year and in the spring of 1883 removed to Nebraska, and in the spring of 1885 settled on a homestead in Dawes county, building the first cabin in his township. He there took up his abode and tried dry farming. While proving up on his homestead he worked for the Burlington Railroad Company. In 1895 he returned to Iowa, where he spent the years 1895 and 1896, but in the spring of 1897 he again heard and heeded the call of the west, making his way to Deadwood, South Dakota. In the fall of that year he returned to Iowa and in the spring of 1898 came to Wyoming, spending the succeeding year or two in herding sheep at Bates Hole in Natrona county. In the fall of two he made his way up into the Big Horn basin and in the spring of 1901 took up his abode in Cody. During the succeeding two years he herded sheep for wages, but in 1903 entered into partnership with F. E. Gilmore in the sheep business, a connection that proved most pleasant. Mr. Markham speaking of Mr. Gilmore as "one of the best men I ever knew." Mr. Gilmore is now a resident of Red Bluff, California. He came to Cody in 1892 and herded sheep until 1895, after which he went to Idaho and purchased a bunch of yearling ewes for a dollar and ten cents per head. These he trailed into the Big Horn basin in the vicinity of Cody and thus was actively identified with sheep raising interests in Wyoming for a number of years. In 1906 he removed to California, having in the meantime made a fortune through the careful conduct of his business interests. He now owns five hundred acres of tillable land and four thousand acres of grazing land in the Sacramento valley and is still profitably conducting his business affairs. For several years past Mr. Markham has been operating independently and is at the present time running only about three thousand head of sheep. He has made judicious investments in real estate and is today the owner of some valuable city property.
On the 15th of June, 1915, Mr. Markham was married to Miss Minnie A. Jubb, of Chicago, and to them has been born a daughter, Sarah Agnes. Mr. Markham belongs to Shoshone Lodge, No. 21, A. F. & A. M.; to Cody Chapter, No. 10 R. A. M.; Constantine Commandery, No. 9, K. T.; and Kalif Temple, A. A. 0. N. M. S., while his wife is a member of the Order of the Eastern Star in Chicago. He is likewise identified with Sheridan Lodge, No. 520, B. P. 0. E.; and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias lodges, the last two located in Cody. He is also a member of Acorn Camp, No. 71, W. 0. W., of Woodbine, Iowa. He ranks as one of Cody's foremost citizens—a man forceful and resourceful, strong in his ability to plan and perform, strong in his honor and his good name.