|L. V. STRYKER.|
L. V. Stryker is now vice president of the First
National Bank of Lovell. He was born in Union county, Iowa, on the
27th of September, 1882, and is a son of Charles S. and Alena A.
(Campbell) Stryker, the former a native of Pekin, Indiana, while the
latter was born at Blue Grass, Iowa. They were married in Muscatine,
Iowa, in 1869 and in 1870 became pioneer settlers of Union county,
that state. where the father took up his abode upon a tract of raw
prairie land, which he developed into a fertile farm. He assisted in
making Union county
one of the most highly improved counties of that state. He was there
engaged in the live stock business for many years and served as
a trustee of the State Agricultural College for two years. He was
also one of the prominent factors in the prohibition movement in the
early days of Iowa and through his aggressiveness in behalf of the
temperance movement killed his own political power, for public
sentiment had not at that time attained the point which it has now
reached in favor of the temperance movement. Mr. Stryker is now
living retired in Creston. He has always been a very active and
earnest worker in the Methodist Episcopal church and his influence
has been a potent factor in the moral progress of the district in
which he makes his home. He is a member of the Masonic
fraternity and his wife is identified with the Order of Eastern Star.
L. V. Stryker, whose name introduces this record, was reared and educated in Creston, Iowa, and attended the public and high schools of that pity to the age of seventeen years, when he entered his father's insurance and loan office and for four years was engaged in soliciting insurance and loans. During that period he devoted his leisure time to the study of law and acquired a limited knowledge of the legal profession. In 1903 he removed westward to Red Lodge, Montana, and soon afterward became a resident of Bridger. While there he was united in marriage on the 25th of July, 1904, to Miss Lorena Crawford, of Creston, Iowa, the wedding ceremony being performed in Bozeman, Montana.
Mr. Stryker was associated with the bank owned by Ammoretti, Barclay & Company of Bridger from 1904 until 1906, when he removed to Lovell, Wyoming, to organize the Lovell State Bank, the first banking institution of the town and one of the first in that part of the state. The bank was organized with a capital of ten thousand dollars, Mr. Stryker becoming the cashier, while the president of the institution was a non-resident. The financial policy of the bank therefore devolved upon Mr. Stryker's shoulders and he was the youngest bank cashier in the state at the time. In the fall of 1906 the bank was sold and was conducted under different management until 1910. When the bank was sold Mr. Stryker went to Thermopolis to accept the position of assistant cashier in the First National Bank of that place, with which he was connected for two years, acting for one year as assistant cashier of the First National, and then when that institution organized the Wyoming Trust Company, he was made cashier of the latter. A year later he disposed of his interests there and engaged in ranching in connection with James W. Barr, their place being known as the Barr ranch. Mr. Stryker also used his desert and homestead rights near Himes, twenty-five miles north of Basin. In the fall of 1910 he returned to Lovell and became associated with a number of residents of this section of the state, together with Roy J. Covert of Billings, in the purchase of the Lovell State Bank and again he assumed the duties of cashier of that institution, in which he had been the cashier. In February, 1911, the capital stock was increased to fifteen thousand dollars. Linder the new management the business had a healthy growth. In May, 1916, the bank was converted into the First National Bank, with a capital stock of thirty thousand dollars. Mr. Stryker continued to act as cashier until the following January, when he was elected vice president of that institution and was succeeded in the position of cashier by Sidney T. Smith. On the 20th of November, 1917, the total resources of the bank were two hundred and ninety thousand dollars—a fact which indicates that under the management of Mr. Stryker the business of the bank has greatly increased.
To Mr. and Mrs. Stryker has been born a son, Leroy Vernon, who is yet at home. The parents are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Stryker belongs to Absarokee Lodge, No. 30, A. F. & A. M., and is a loyal adherent to the teachings of the craft. He stands for progress and improvement in the community and is recognized as a leading and progressiYe citizen. He was active in organizing and building the Community Congregational church, becoming chairman of its board of trustees. He is also a member of the Commercial Club of Lovell. He is likewise a member of the National Geographic Society and the American Red Cross. His wife is now county chairman of the women's department of the National Council of Defense in Bighorn county and she was chairman of the Young Men's Christian Association drive in their part of the county. She is also state treasurer of the Wyoming Federation of Women's Clubs and has been very active in all Red Cross work.