|HARRY S. COVER.|
Harry S. Cover, a concrete contractor of Thermopolis who
is conducting a constantly developing business, was born in Macomb,
Illinois, November 29, 1861, a son of Erastus and Lovina (Lafferty)
Cover, the former a native of Baltimore, Maryland, while the
latter was born in Bellville, Ohio. They were married in Sandusky,
Ohio, and soon afterward removed to Illinois, where the father
engaged in farming, making his home in that state until 1868,
when he became a resident of Cameron Junction, Missouri.
It was there that Harry S. Cover was reared to young manhood and in the common schools of that locality acquired his education. In 1879, when a youth of eighteen years, he made his way to Wyoming and through the following winter was employed in the rolling mills at Laramie. In the spring of 1880 he went up into the Medicine Bow country, where he worked in a tie camp. In 1882 he removed to Buffalo, where he engaged in plastering and contract work until 1893. After two years spent in Sheridan, where he again engaged in plastering and contract work, he arrived in Thermopolis in 1895 and has here made his home for more than twenty-two years. He brought with him a bunch of cattle and for twelve years was actively and successfully engaged in raising cattle and horses, becoming one of the well known stock men of this section of the state. He afterward spent some time in Portland, Oregon, for the purpose of educating his children there, but during the past four years has engaged in cement contracting in Thermopolis, being the leading contractor in his line in the city. He has recently completed the St. Regis Hotel, a modern brick building of thirty-two rooms, which he has leased for five years. This will return to him a most gratifying annual income and he and his wife are contemplating spending much of their time upon the Pacific coast, probably in the beautiful city of Portland—the city of roses.
It was in March, 1882, that Mr. Cover was united in marriage to Miss Luanna C. Stanley, a relative of Henry Stanley, the famous explorer. Mrs. Cover was a daughter of Harris Stanley, who came to Wyoming in 1874 from Texas, settling at Medicine Bow. He crossed the plains to California in 1852 and was on government survey work for several years in the Golden state. Mrs. Cover has been a resident of Wyoming for forty-three years. Her memory therefore forms a connecting link between the primitive past and the progressive present—between that period when the work of progress and civilization seemed scarcely begun and the period in which the state presents all that is of value in the development and the upbuilding of a modern commonwealth. ,
Mr. Cover gives his political allegiance to the republican party and served for several years as deputy sheriff when still a resident of Fremont county, Wyoming. He belongs to Thermopolis Lodge, No. 26, I. 0. 0. F., and is now serving as district deputy. He is also connected with the Modern Woodmen of America. His wife is a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal church and is connected with several of the ladies' auxiliaries of the lodges with which her husband is identified, being a member of the Daughters of Rebekah and the Royal Neighbors. She is also active in Red Cross work and both Mr. and Mrs. Cover are deeply interested in all those matters of citizenship which have to do with the advancement of public interests and the adoption of higher living standards.