|HARRY IRWIN, M. D.|
Dr. Harry Irwin, who is engaged in the practice of
medicine and surgery at Encampment, Carbon county, was bown November
4, 1867, at Livermore, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, a son
of John Irwin. The family is of Scotch-Irish lineage and the
grandfather on crossing the Atlantic settled in Pennsylvania,
where his son, John Irwin, was born and reared. The latter became a
successful agriculturist of Pennsylvania and was also engaged in
farming in Illinois and in Wisconsin in early life, but afterward
returned to Pennsylvania and passed away near Livermore on the 29th
of October, 1889, when sixty-five years of age. His wife bore the
maiden name of Margaret J. Rankin and was born near Armagh, in
Indiana county, Pennsylvania. She, too, was a representative of
one of the old families of that state, of Scotch and Holland descent.
She died October 22, 1913, at the age of seventy-six years.
Of their family of seven children, three sons and four daughters, Dr. Irwin was the second in order of birth. He acquired his early education in the public schools of Livermore and afterward attended Eldersridge Academy at Eldersridge, Pennsylvania, where he was graduated with the class of 1888. His early life had been spent upon the home farm and he attended school during the winter seasons, while working in the fields through the summer months. He afterward became a student in the Washington-Jefferson College, matriculating in the fall of 1888, and there he won his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1893. He devoted the succeeding seven years to educational work, teaching successfully in the schools of Canonsburg, Johnstown and Allegheny, Pennsylvania. In 1896 his alma mater conferred upon him the degree of Master of Arts. He regarded teaching, however, merely as an initial step to other professional labor and, having determined upon the practice of medicine as a life work, he enrolled as a student in the medical department of the University of Colorado in 1900 and was graduated with the class of 1904, at which time his professional degree was conferred upon him. During the year thereafter he was an interne at St. Joseph's Hospital at Denver, Colorado, and since that time he has engaged in private practice, being located in Encampment throughout the intervening period. On his removal to that place he was made physician to the Pennsylvania-Wyoming Copper Company. While he continues in the general practice of medicine and surgery, he largely specializes in the treatment of the eye. He is also interested to some extent in ranching and stock raising but devotes the greater part of his time and attention to his professional interests.
Dr. Irwin is a member of the Masonic fraternity, being identified with Encampment Lodge, No. 19. He has long been a close student of philosophy and psychology and is a great reader. He has the largest library on philosophy and science in this section of the state and he keeps in touch at all times with the trend of modern scientific investigation and research as well as with the advancement in his profession. He is a member of the Wyoming State Medical Society and by reading and study he keeps abreast of the efforts of the most prominent representatives of the medical profession throughout the country.