|DAVID J. HOWELL.|
David J. Howell, assistant United States attorney, dates
his residence in Wyoming from 1908, at which time he took up his
abode in Cheyenne and entered upon the practice of law. He was born
in Maryville, Missouri, on the 26th of May, 1887, and is a son of
David J. and Elizabeth (Stewart) Howell. In the family were three
sons and a daughter.
David J. Howell, the youngest of the children, was educated in the public schools and was graduated from the high school at Maryville, after which he entered the University of Kansas and continued his studies in the University of Missouri, being graduated from the latter institution with the class of 1908. Immediately afterward he came to Wyoming, taking up his abode in Cheyenne, where he became associated in law practice with Hugo Donzelmann, who afterward admitted him to a partnership, that association being maintained until May, 1914, when Mr. Howell was appointed assistant United States attorney and the partnership was accordingly dissolved. It was the recognition of his ability as a representative of the bar that led to Mr. Howell's appointment. While advancement in the legal profession is proverbially slow, he has nevertheless made steady and substantial progress, proving his ability to handle intricate and involved legal problems. He thoroughly prepares his cases, studying closely and investigating every point at law that has any possible bearing upon his case.
On the 14th of July, 1915, Mr. Howell was united in marriage to Miss Olive B. Hetzel. He is a prominent Mason, belonging to the Consistory and to the Shrine, and he belongs to the Young Men's Literary Club. He is much interested in the state and its development and maintains a progressive attitude upon all questions of public importance. He is esteemed for his genuine personal worth as well as for his ability. His political allegiance is given to the democratic party and he is one of the active workers in its ranks. He served as secretary of the county central committee and for one term was its chairman. He occupied the position of assistant county attorney in 1911 and in 1912 and he is making an excellent record in his present position, carefully safeguarding the legal interests of the federal government throughout this district.