FRANK N. CARRON.
Frank N. Carron, a civil and mining engineer who is now superintendent of Water Division No. 4, with headquarters at Rock Springs, was born in Towanda, Pennsylvania, September 1, 1884, a son of James and Annie (Bennis) Carron, the former a native of Canada, while the latter was born in Pennsylvania. In young manhood the father removed to the Keystone state, where later he became buyer for a large hide and wool house at Towanda. Subsequently he removed toNewark, New Jersey, where he now resides with his daughter. His wife, who was reared, educated and married in Pennsylvania passed away in 1892, at the age of thirty-nine years. In their family were seven children: Mrs. Nellie Costello, who died in Towanda, Pennsylvania, in 1911; Robert E., who is a first lieutenant with the One Hundred and Forty-first Field Artillery, U. S. A., now stationed at Camp Mills, Ohio; Mrs. Florence Florshee, of Newark, New Jersey; James, who is now with the United States forces in France; Frank N., of this review; and two who died in infancy.
Frank N. Carron was the fourth in order of birth in that family. In his boyhood he attended the parochial schools of Towanda and following his graduation he entered upon preparation for the engineering profession, taking postgraduate work in St. Agnes Academy. He began the practice of his chosen profession in connection with the Lackawanna Coal Company of Pennsylvania, with which he was identified for four years. He afterward became superintendent of the Kanawha Coal Company of Spring Hill, West Virginia, and a year later he became associated with C. P. Collins, of Johnstown, Pennsylvania, with whom he remained for five months. On the expiration of that period he removed to Colorado, where he was connected with irrigation engineering projects for a year. Removing to Kentucky, he followed railroad engineering for six months and then returned to Colorado, where he again spent two months. In 1909 he arrived in Rock Springs, Wyoming, where he entered into business relations with the Union Pacific Coal Company, with which he was thus associated until June, 1917. He is now engaged in private practice as a civil and mining engineer and on the 1st of September, 1917, he was appointed superintendent of Water Division No. 4. He also is proprietor of the Commercial Hotel, a newly furnished commercial men's headquarters at Rock Springs, which is liberally patronized. He stands very high in professional circles, his long experience and close study making him a man of marked ability in his chosen field. He is enabled to speak with authority upon many involved and important engineering projects and his standing is further indicated in the fact that he belongs to the American Institute of Mining Engineers.
On the 2d of January, 1914, in Salt Lake City, Mr. Carron was united in marriage to Mrs. Clara (Kuske) Walling, a daughter of Charles and Julia Kuske, of Olivia, Minnesota. By a former marriage Mr. Carron had a daughter, Gladys, who was born in Greensburg, Pennsylvania, in 1905 and is now attending school in Rock Springs.
Fraternally Mr. Carron is connected with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. His is a most creditable career and one which indicates clearly what may be accomplished by determined effort and unfaltering perseverance on the part of the individual, for Mr. Carron worked his way upward entirely on his own account and studied by candle light while serving as an apprentice with the Lackawanna Coal Company of Pennsylvania. Within four years when with that company he had advanced to the superintendency and today he is prominently connected with engineering projects in the west, being engineer for a number of coal mining companies in Sweetwater county. He is one of the representative and honored residents of Rock Springs and his life record should serve to inspire and encourage others, showing that success is not a matter of genius, as held by some, but is rather the outcome of clear judgment, experience and indefatigable energy.