Dave Hopkins is possessed in substantial measure of that quality which for want of a better term has been called commercial sense. He is a well known jeweler of Green River, where he is building up a business of gratifying and substantial proportions.
He was born in Carbon, Wyoming, December 13, 1887, a son of the late David W. Hopkins, who was a native of Wales and who in young manhood left that little rock-ribbed country to cross the Atlantic to America with his parents, who first located in Illinois. David W. Hopkins, who was at the time thirteen years of age, afterward completed his education in Kingston, Illinois. He then took up coal mining and throughout his entire life was identified with mining interests. For a long period he remained in Illinois but in 1884 removed westward to Wyoming, settling at Carbon. His last days were spent in Rock Springs, where he died at the age of sixty-three years, being called to his final rest in January, 1912. He was quite active in politics as a supporter of the republican party and he stood as a loyal advocate of all civic interests tending to advance the general progress and improvement. He belonged to the Church of the Latter-Day Saints. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Margaret Jones, was born in Illinois, her parents being natives of Wales. Mrs. Hopkins is still living and makes her home in Rock Springs. By her marriage she became the mother of five children, four of whom survive.
Dave Hopkins, whose name introduces this review, acquired a public school education in Rock Springs and when a lad of twelve years accepted a position as messenger boy with the Western Union at that place, receiving a wage of fifteen dollars per month. Later he was employed in connection with various mercantile establishments and at length entered upon an apprenticeship to J. W. Crocker, the leading jeweler of Rock Springs, under whose direction he acquainted himself with all branches of the jewelry trade. He likewise studied for a time with the firm of Tarbox & Gordon at Omaha, Nebraska, and at the Bradley Institute in Peoria, Illinois, he completed his trade. In 1911 he came to Green River, where he entered the store of Frank R. Crocker and eventually he purchased the business, becoming owner in August, 1916. This he has since successfully conducted. He has a well appointed store, carrying an attractive line of jewelry, and his success is growing month by month.
On the 10th of May, 1909, in Green River, Mr. Hopkins was married to Miss Lena Tolton, a daughter of Edward H. and Emma (Robinson) Tolton, who were pioneers of Wyoming, becoming very prominent in Green River. Mr. and Mrs. Hopkins have two daughters: Margaret, who was born May 23, 1910, in Green River; and Grace Elizabeth, born June 21, 1912.
Mr. Hopkins votes with the republican party, which he has supported since age conferred upon him the right of franchise. He served as town clerk in 1911, 1912, 1913 and 1914, making an excellent record by the prompt and faithful manner in which he discharged his duties. He has membership with the Elks lodge at Rock Springs. Starting out in life a poor boy, he has advanced steadily, the course of his orderly progression being easily discernible. Laudable ambition has been one of the basic principles of his business career and persistency of purpose has enabled him to overcome difficulties and obstacles. He has earned for himself an enviable reputation as a careful man of business and in his dealings is known for his prompt and honorable methods, which have won him the deserved and unbounded confidence of his fellowmen.