ALBERT G. HAMILTON. M. D.
Dr. Albert G. Hamilton, who is engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery at Thermopolis, ranks with the leading surgeons of the state, his marked efficiency in that line winning the admiration of professional colleagues and contemporaries. He acts as surgeon in charge of the New Hopewell Hospital and under his direction many important operations have been performed.
Illinois claims him as a native son. He was born in Mattoon on the 8th of August. 1863, and is a son of James and Margaret (Hoskins) Hamilton. He was educated in the public and high schools of Mattoon, and determining upon the practice of medicine as a life work, he was then graduated from the medical department of the University of Ohio at Cincinnati as a member of the class of 1888. He has since pursued post-graduate work in the West Side Hospital of Chicago in 1900 and in the New York Polyclinic in 1910, and about a month each year attends the clinics at different hospitals throughout the country. He entered upon the active practice of medicine in Humboldt, Illinois, where he remained from 1888 until 1892 and then went to Springfield. Nebraska, where he continued in the active practice of medicine until 1906. The latter year witnessed his arrival in Thermopolis, Wyoming, where he has since remained, and in the intervening period, covering twelve years, he has made continuous progress in his profession, gaining distinction as a prominent representative of medical and surgical practice. He has particularly specialized along the latter line and his marked ability has brought him to the front. He thoroughly understands anatomy and the component parts of the human body, is cool and collected in emergencies and with steady nerve and hand he performs the multitudinous delicate duties that feature in surgical work. In 1909 he established the Hopewell Hospital in Thermopolis and has made it an institution of value to the state. He belongs to the North Western Wyoming Medical Society and his high professional standing is indicated in the fact that m 1911 he was elected to the presidency of the Wyoming State Medical Society, serving as the head of the organization for two years. He was also a charter member of the Clinical Congress of Surgeons of North America and he belongs to the American Association of Railway Surgeons and to the American Medical Association. He is now engaged in the erection of a hospital at a cost of seventy-five thousand dollars, which is equipped with the Hot Springs baths and all modern appliances of that character, making it one of the finest institutions of the kind in the state.
Dr. Hamilton has served as coroner of Sarpy county, Nebraska, holding the office for three terms. In Masonry he has attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite, belonging to Nebraska Consistory, No. 1, A. & A. S. R., and he is also a member of Tangier Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., of Omaha. He is likewise connected with the Knights of Pythias and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. While prominent and popular in these organizations, he concentrates the major part of his time and attention upon his professional duties, which are extensive and arduous. He has been actuated in all that he has done by a laudable ambition to make his service of the greatest benefit to his fellowmen and in all of his professional work is most conscientious, while his developing powers have placed him in the ranks of the most skilled surgeons of the state.