MRS. ANNA BELLE SMITH.
Mrs. Anna Belle Smith, capably filling the office of county treasurer of Sheridan county and making her home in the city of Sheridan, was born in Fort Collins, Colorado, June 9, 1875, a daughter of Frederick F. and Mary Frances Newcomer. Her father was born in Hagerstown. Maryland, and was a son of a prominent Baltimore merchant. At an early age he joined the Eighteenth Maryland Regiment and was wounded at the battle of Antietam. He also fought Indians on the plains of Wyoming in the early '60s and for a time was stationed at Camp Douglas in Salt Lake City, being there during the period of the building of the Mormon Temple. He heard Brigham Young preach his first sermon in the tabernacle and was a witness of other events which marked the early history of that region. He was afterward stationed at Fort Bridger, Wyoming, at the time when a part of his regiment, under General Carrington, was massacred at Fort Phil Kearney. About 1869 he was united in marriage to Miss Mary Frances McGuire, of Maryville, Missouri, and emigrated to Colorado with the family in the early '70s. Indian troubles were prevalent during the trip overland. In the fall of 1883 he removed with his family to Wyoming and settled on a homestead in Prairie Dog valley, where he became a prosperous farmer and stockman. He died of apoplexy in Sheridan, Wyoming, September 13, 1913, at the age of sixty-four years, while his wife passed away in Sheridan, February 25, 1909. Their surviving children are: B. A. Newcomer, a resident of Banner, Wyoming: Edwin V. Newcomer, also living at Banner; Mrs. E. B. Williams, whose home is at Ucross, Wyoming: and Mrs. Smith, of this review.
Reared upon the western frontier, Mrs. Smith acquired a public school education in Sheridan county and afterward had the benefit of a course in the business department of the Wyoming State University in 1900 and 1901. Thus liberally educated, she occupied important positions to the time of her marriage. Previous to entering the business college she had successfully taught school in Sheridan county for six years and after her course at the State University she held positions as stenographer in banks and law offices until her marriage.
It was on the 8th of February, 1904, that Anna Belle Newcomer became the wife of Ernest S. Smith, formerly a member of the firm of James P. Smith & Sons, grain dealers of Chicago. To them was born a daughter, Helen Frances, whose birth occurred January 6, 1905. After becoming a widow in September, 1906, Mrs. Smith secured the position of stenographer to the superintendent of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company at Sheridan and also occupied a clerical position in the real estate office of C. B. Holmes. Her business interests have been carefully and wisely managed and she is now a partner in a ranch owned by herself and her brother, Edwin V. Newcomer, which they received as a part of the estate of their father. Frederick F. Newcomer. Mrs. Smith also owns an attractive bungalow at No. 351 East Works street in Sheridan. Mrs. Smith gives her political allegiance to the democratic party and served as assistant deputy county clerk from January 1, 1911, until January 1, 1917, or for a period of six years. In November, 1916, she was elected to the office of county treasurer and entered upon the duties of the position in January, 1917. She is making an excellent record in this connection, having had long and varied business experience which well qualifies her for the tasks which now devolve upon her. She has been quite prominent in democratic circles in her section of the state and is vice president of the Women's National Democratic League for Sheridan county and president of the Sheridan Section. She was appointed chairman of the Women's Democratic Central Committee of Sheridan county and she attended the national democratic convention in January, 1916. She keeps well informed on all the vital public questions of the day and is a broad-minded woman whose worth is widely recognized in the county in which she makes her home. She is a communicant of the Episcopal church, is a member of the Daughters of the King and of St. Peter's choir, thus taking an active part in church work, and she is widely known in political, business, church and musical circles in Sheridan.