Van Camp was a little community located about 3 miles from New Martinsville on Rte 180 going towards Middlebourne. On Nov 1, 1879, John M. Van Camp and his wife, Margaret A., made a deed to the Trustees of the Van Camp Methodist Episcopal Church for $1.00 for a place of worship. The first Trustees were John M. VanCamp, Melvin Van Camp, John H. Evans and Nelson Martin.
The cemetery was established before the church, having burials made in the 1850's. The earliest burial with a marker is Modie Meredith, born and died in 1851.
It is not known when the services were stopped, probably in the 1940's. The church was sold and torn down in 1975.
On July 28, 2001 Dr. Jack Furbee unveiled a Marker honoring the town of Van Camp. This was a project that was two years in the making. Barbara Minor of the Wetzel Chronicle was present and wrote an article in the Wednesday, August 1, 2001 edition of the paper.
There were many family members along with others on hand for the dedication. Later Dr. Jack Furbee and Beecher Rhoades led them up the hill to visit the Van Camp cemetery and view the graves of John M. Van Camp who was a Civil War Veteran and his wife Margaret A. Van Camp.
Stuart G. Steingraber of Anaheim, Ca sends us his descendants of Steven Van Camp.
Dr. Jack Furbee has sent us some stories about his memories of Van Camp.
Where in the Hills