Rusk County, WI Cemetery Detail

Rusk County, WI

Cemetery Detail

APOLLONIA CATHOLIC CEMETERY
Location: Town of Stubbs, T34N R8W, on U.S. Highway 8, west of the village of Bruce, on east side of Tyman Avenue across from the Protestant cemetery. WN 28:3:182

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

APOLLONIA PROTESTANT CEMETERY
Location: West side of Tyman Avenue, across from Apollonia Catholic Cemetery. Sexton: Russel E. Cameron, Rt. 2, Bruce, Wisconsin (in 1982). WN 29:1:61-62; 37:3:158 (additions)

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

BLUE HILLS (NATHANIEL LUTHERAN) CEMETERY
Location: On County Truck O in Atlanta Township, T35N R8W, northwest of village of Bruce. WN 25:4:214

Burial List: Blue Hills (Nathaniel Lutheran) Cemetery

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

BRUCE CATHOLIC CEMETERY
Bruce Catholic Cemetery Location: North of the Bruce Protestant Cemetery, on North East edge of the village of Bruce. Records kept by Norma Moon, Bruce, Wisconsin (in 1985). WN 31:3:206; 31:4:275

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

BRUCE PROTESTANT CEMETERY
Location: North edge of Village of Bruce, Town of Stubbs. Well kept records at Bruce Village Clerk's office. WN 35:4:279-282; 36:1:55-58; 36:2:109-113

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

GLEN FLORA LUTHERAN CEMETERY
Location: 2 miles north of U.S. Highway 8, on Thatcher Road. Records kept at the Glen Flora Lutheran Church. WN 31:3:205-206

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

GLEN VIEW CEMETERY
Location: County Highway B, north of U.S. Highway 8, Glen Flora, Town of True. Records kept by Pat Krisik, Glen Flora, WI (in September 1988). WN 35:2:133-134

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

HILLCREST CEMETERY
Location: On the northeast edge of the village of Hawkins, South Fork Township. WN 31:1:61-62; 31:2:129-130; 31:3:205

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

HOLY HILL CEMETERY
Location: T36N R9W. WN 26:2:107

The Rusk County Atlas printed in 1914 shows a church and cemetery in T36N R9W. However, when we inquired about it of a farmer, George Schultz, he directed us to the former site of Holy Hill Catholic Church, where, in the former churchyard, a lone white wooden cross stands.

This is the grave of a migrant logger who came from Cleveland to work in a mill at Birchwood, Sawyer County., Wisconsin. He was killed in an accident at the mill. His foreman was Emil Schultz, father of George. Emil made the white cross that marks the grave in totally wild woods that could never be found by a stranger to the area.

The following data was given us by George Schultz:

KLIMENT, Joseph - killed 1916
We then were told that there had been four burials made in the former cemetery that bears no markers. Mr. Schultz directed us to the John Gargulak home to learn who the burials were. We were given the following names and approximate dates:
GARGULAC, Aldrich - brother of John, shot at age 16, born 1897
GARGULAC, Hilda - sister of John, dc 1920, about 15 years
GARGULAC, Mary (Zetik) - mother of John, dc 1918, about 42 years
GILEK - infant of Charles GILEK

 

St. John's Catholic Church, Birchwood, Wisconsin has the death and burial records.

The community is known as Pre Bram in Wilson Township, Rusk County, Wisconsin, and was settled by a group of people from Czechoslovakia, who came and bought the land (1912) cleared by the loggers of the Knap-Stout Logging Company.
---Taken from "WSGS Newsletter Vol. 26 No. 2, page 7" - September 1979

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

HOLY TRINITY CATHOLIC CEMETERY
Location: On County Trunk Highway I, approximately 1 1/2 miles southwest of the Village of Conrath, Town of Willard. WN 41:3:177-178

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

INGRAM CEMETERY
Location: On Old Highway 14, at the west edge of the village of Ingram, Lawrence Township. Records kept by Hank Manula, Glen Flora, Wisconsin (in 1985). WN 31:4:275-276; 32:1:53

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

ISLAND LAKE CEMETERY
Location: T33N R8W Town of Big Bend. At Island Lake near junction of County Trunk D & WI Highway 40, adjacent to Church of Christ. WN 25:3:155-156; 25:4:213

Burial List: Island Lake Cemetery

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

MAPLE VALLEY (NATHANIEL LUTHERAN) CEMETERY
Location: T35N R8W, Section 19, Atlanta Township. First cemetery of Nathaniel Lutheran Church, where the early settlers of the Blue Hills were buried. It is south of the Blue Hills Fire Tower on Norwegian Road, northeast of the village of Weyerhaeuser. WN 25:4:214

Burial List: Maple Valley (Nathaniel Lutheran) Cemetery

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

MUD LAKE INDIAN CEMETERY
Location: Northwest 1/4 of Southeast 1/4 of Section 27 on the south shore of Mud Lake. Deed recorded March 20, 1897, Vol. 79, page 108, at the Ladysmith, Wisconsin Courthouse. Cemetery is reached by turning off of U.S. Highway 40 onto Old County Truck D, south of Island Lake; then at Sand Lake, turn left onto dirt road. WN 26:2:107

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

POLISH CEMETERY
Location: Strickland Township, on the northeast side of Old Highway 14, about 3 miles west of the Village of Weyerhaeuser. This cemetery is also known by the "locals" as the Jaworski Cemetery. The cemetery is less than mile southeast of the Bass Lake Inn tavern. The entrance to the cemetery is unmarked.

Burial List: Polish Cemetery

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

RIVERSIDE (CATHOLIC SECTION) CEMETERY
Riverside Catholic Cemetery Location: Northeast of Ladysmith, on County Trunk Highway J, along the north bank of the Flambeau River. WN 38:4:241-242; 39:1:43-44; 39:2:109-110; 39:3:167-168; 39:4:229

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

RIVERSIDE CEMETERY
Riverside Cemetery-Main Entrance   Location: Northeast of Ladysmith, on County Trunk Highway J, along the north bank of the Flambeau River. Records kept at the Rusk County Courthouse. WN 39:4:230-232; Riverside Cemetery-West Side 40:1:37-40; 40:2:105-106; 40:3:163-166; 40:4:227-230; 41:1:43-46; 41:3:178

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

ST. ANN'S CATHOLIC CEMETERY
St. Ann's Catholic Cemetery Location: T36N R7W (Murry), about 10 miles north of the village of Bruce on U.S. Highway 40, at Murry. The cemetery is adjacent to the St. Ann's Catholic Church, Murry (Town of). WN 28:3:181-182; 37:3:158 (additions)

St. Ann's Catholic Church was built as a community project in the early 1900's. The church was sold to a private individual by the Diocese of Superior in the 1990's. The cemetery is still maintained.

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

STS. PETER & PAUL CATHOLIC CEMETERY
Location: North of U.S. Highway 8, on the west edge of the village of Weyerhaeuser, Stubbs Township. Records are kept at the Sts. Peter & Paul Catholic Church, Weyerhaeuser. This cemetery was laid out in 1936 as an addition to the old cemetery west of the village on old Highway 14. WN 27:4:227-228; 28:1:53-54

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

SERVANT'S OF MARY CONVENT CEMETERY
Location: On north bank of the Flambeau River, west of the Convent, College Avenue West, Ladysmith, Wisconsin. WN 36:2:114; 39:4:229

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

SOUTH FORK CEMETERY
Location: Approximately 4 miles north of the Village of Hawkins, off of County Highway M. WN 37:3:157-158

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

SOUTH LAWRENCE CEMETERY
Location: South of Ingram on Highway 73, adjacent to the South Lawrence Mennonite Church, Town of Lawrence. Records are kept at the church. WN 32:4:268

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

STRICKLAND/ASSUMPTION CATHOLIC CEMETERY
Location: Adjacent to Assumption Catholic Church, Strickland (Town of), Wisconsin. T34N R9W, Strickland Township. WN 28:2:117-118; 28:3:181

West of Weyerhaeuser is the settlement of Strickland, named for S.P. Strickland. He and Weyerhaeuser were involved in the operation of a mill on what is now Packer Lake. The Township of Strickland was organized in 1897, but the Strickland settlement traces its origin back to the 1880's.

Settlers of Polish origin came to Strickland and neighboring Weyerhaeuser from Europe and from the coal fields of Pennsylvania. Settlers at Strickland erected the Assumption B.V.M. Catholic Church, which is still being used. It never was an incorporated village, and the only real industry remaining is raising cranberries.
---Taken from "WSGS Newsletter Vol. 28 No. 2, page 21" - September 1981

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

TONY CATHOLIC CEMETERY
Location: Separated from the Tony Protestant Cemetery by a driveway. Comprises west half of cemetery. Records kept by Richard Leonhard (in September 1987). WN 34:2:135-136; 34:3:207-208

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

TONY PROTESTANT CEMETERY
Location: South side of U.S. Highway 8, 1/2 mile west of the Village of Tony, Town of Dewey. Records kept by Warren Dorman (in June 1987). WN 34:1:57-58

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

WEYERHAEUSER CATHOLIC CEMETERY
Location: Between Strickland and Weyerhaeuser on Old Highway 14, T34N R9W. WN 28:1:54; 28:2:117

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

WEYERHAEUSER PROTESTANT CEMETERY
Location: On U.S. Highway 8, within Village limits, Weyerhaeuser, Town of Stubbs. WN 37:3:155-157

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

WOODLAWN CEMETERY
Location: North side of County Truck G on the west side of Sheldon, Marshall Township. Records kept by Sexton, Frank Kozial (in 1981). WN 32:1:54; 32:2:123-124; 32:3:193-194; 32:4:267-268

Return to List: - Cemeteries Home - By Name - By Township

Home
Guestbook
Email Webmaster

 

  Copyright, 2003 by R. Marie Mickalunas, Webmaster
Last Revision Date: 01/28/03