Racine County ALHN

History of Mound Cemetery

As published in "The History of Racine and Kenosha Counties" (Chicago: 1879), page 423

Mound Cemetery is beautifully situated, on elevated ground, west of the city limits, embracing twenty-one blocks, or fourty-nine acres of land. Sylvan Dell Creek winds its way gracefully through the grounds, and is spanned by a handsome wooden bridge. The property was purchased by Norman Clark and Mr. McKenzie, of a half-breed Indian named Wilmot, living at Buffalo, and nineteen acres thereof was by then sold to the city in 1850. Subsequently 30 acres were added. No doubt this was at one time an Indian burial ground. Many Indian skeletons and instuments of war have been exhumed from the mounds. According to a statement made to the writer by one of the former sextons, more than one hundred remains of Indians have been taken there within his personal recollection. A well-finished frame building stands within the inclosure, serving as a sexton's office, with additional room for a morgue or dead-house. This building was originally intended for a chapel. The grounds are well cared for, and embellished by flowers and shrubbery. Annually, a committee of three Aldermen are appointed to superintend the business of the cemetery. The sexton has full charge of the ground and the sale of lots, the deeds of which are issued by the City Clerk. The first interment occurred in these grounds in 1852. The first sexton of this cemetery, Owen Roberts, was appointed in 1852. Next came Dr. Stewart, then Mr. Roberts again filled the office until 1874, when his son, John H. Roberts, succeeded him, remaining in charge until 1876. Mr. Decker was then appointed and followed by Mr. Raymond, who resigned, when the present sexton, Levi Yantz, was appointed.

Click here to go to

Back to the Racine County Cemetery Page