| Home | Next Page
The Townships and Communities
... Grover, Coleman, Crivitz, Dunbar)
1892, Grover separated from Peshtigo and was admitted as a township.
Ernest Lepinsky was the first representative to the county board.
Lepinsky, A.H. Colburn and F. Weinhart were the first officials of the
new town. This area was originally settled by Harvey England, who came
from New York state in 1864. England owned 160 acres, and was primarily
engaged in farming and lumbering. He had been instrumental insetting up
the Town of Peshtigo. today, Gover has a population of 1,540, and
includes the unincorporated communities of Harmony and County Line.
first white man to make a permanent settlement in what was to become the
Town of Coleman (then known as Sugar Bush) was Joseph Brault, in 1870.
He had just built a cabin when the Peshtigo Fire left him surrounded by
a vast, desolate region. He resolved to stay on his land, and soon a
colony of French people became his neighbors. Owing to bad roads, the
beginnings of Coleman were slow, until the opening of the Milwaukee and
Northern Railroad, in the early 1880s. One of the first industries in
Coleman was the Little River Mill, built by Richardson, but unsuccessful
in its operation until purchased by E.E. Bolles and Company, around the
turn of the century. The Brault Mill also contributed to the success of
the community in the early days, as it sawed lumber for farmers of the
surrounding countryside. Coleman was organized as a township in 1893.
1897, Crivitz became a township. In the early 1860s, Levi P. Hale and
John Seymour set up a trading post about six miles northwest of the
present village of Crivitz. In later years, this became known as Ellis
Junction, named for William Ellis, superintendent of the Peshtigo Lumber
Company which gave the right of way through this area. Ellis Junction
was a main stop of this railroad. It was platted in the mid 1880s by
Ellis and Fred Bartles, and named for the latter's birthplace, Crivitz,
Germany. Crivitz incorporated as a village in1913, although it dissolved
as such fourteen years later to become a part of the Town of Stephenson.
Finally, in 1974, it was again incorporated, and by last census has a
population of 960.
years after the formation of Marinette County, Dunbar became a township.
A.C. Wells was its first representative to the county board. Dunbar is
said to take its name from a lumbercamp cook who took charge of supplies
for lumber camps as they were dropped at the railroad station, in the
1880s. As the trains neared the station, trainmen could be heard to
call, "Anything for Dunbar today?" At the beginning of the
century, Dunbar was still primarily a lumber town, with a population of
400. Its chief industry was the Girard Lumber Company, though it was
also the headquarters of the Dunbar and Wausaukee Railroad. Today the
township has a population of 320. Twelve Foot Falls Park, a fine
recreational area, is located here.
| Home | Next