More Meuret family information/stories

This page is presented FREE because of the efforts of myself and other volunteers.


All the following are given to this page by Neva - [email protected].  Please contact her for further information about this family.


4405 12th Street

Riverside, CA 92501

Phone (909) 684 9889

Fax: (909) 779 2972

Interview of Victory LeDuc by Shirley " Sug" Meuret at the Meuret Family Centennial Reunion, 1955 in Wausau, Wis.

Meuret Grandparents: John Henry Meuret (We call Henry P. ntg) Born 1825, La Petite Fontaine, near Belfort, France attended church in nearby town of Lachapelle - Sous Rougemont, France. John Henry P Meuret - Died Feb 5, 1896 (in Wausau). Catherine Gousset Voltz Meuret, wife of John Henry P Meuret was born Feb. 28, 1828 at Anjeot, near Belfort, France - Died July 13, 1902 (in Wausau) Aged 71 years.

Their children: Kate, John, Mary, Louie, Frank, Frank E, Henry, Elizabeth, Jane and Joseph twins.

He, John Henry Meuret, with his wife and 2 children, Katherine and John, and 2 brothers (Francois and Jacques) sailed from Marseille and landed at New Orleans. Francois Meuret (about 1851) settled in Beloit. They moved to Beloit, Rock County, WI. They stayed a short time and there they learned of The Pinery. So they hurried here to Marathon Co. One of the Meuret bothers, Jacques Meuret, settled on an adjoing farm. The first winter here, Henry and his family lived in a cook shanty that was abandoned by the DuBay Lumber Mill on the Eau Claire River, which was located on the present Meuret farm. In the year 1855 they built a home and homesteaded 80 acres of land which is still the Meuret farm and later bought 240 acres more.

John Henry and Catherine had 8 other children all born on the farm on the banks of the Eau Claire Riv. He took his oxen and with other Catholics pulled out the stumps to clear and to build St, Mary's Church and parsonage. Until St. Mary's first church was built, church services were held in Mrs. McIndoes home located where the old Wausau public library now stands. This area was considered or called a village named "Big Bull Falls".

The Pines were tall and dark and thick and the Indians lived among them.

John Henry Meurey died in 1896 and Henry, his 7th child, inherited the farm. Henry had married Emma Auguata Koepp.

For many years John Henry Meuret was a logger and farmer. Later he worked for the Milwaukee Road as watchman for a long wooded bridge that was built to span the Eau Claire River. The wooden bridge has since been replaced by a steel structure located now south of the city between Wausau and Schofield. Henry started a family business, The Meuret Dairy, selling milk to the people in Wausau.

Such few supplies were in the village that the pioneers went to Stevens Point for supplies with their oxen.

This information obtained from a distant cousin, Mrs. Victory Chaignot Le'Duc Foltz (age 81 in 1955) 914 Second Ave. who attended the Meuret Centennial. Victory was also born in Belfort, France and came to America in Nov. 1883. She sailed from LeHarve, France at the age of 8 yrs and her family settled in Kelly in 1884 to be near their Meuret relatives. She has resided in this area ever since.

Mrs. Victory Chaignot Le'Duc Foltz's father and Charles John Meuret's grandfather, John Henry P Meuret were first cousins.


MHMT (1905-1992)

Document #3: Copied from Meuret Family Bible and Remarks


John Henry P. Meuret and Catherine Gousett (Voltz)

Henry P. Meuret came to America in 1853 from:

AW Maire Dela Petite Fontaine

Dept. Div. Haut Rhin, France

(may have been born there)

His wife Catherine Gousett (Voltz)

AW Maire Dela Chapele

Sous Rougemont, France

(Anjeot near Belfort) copied from the bible

MHMT Remarks:

Henry P., Jacques. George, Franciou, (Frank) and other French people came to New Orleans in 1853. They stayed in this area a couple of years, then headed up the Mississippi River. Frank stayed in Beloit, Wisconsin (Newark Township) area. The rest came up to Wausau and farmed along the Eau Claire River. This area was called "Frog Town". Some Meurets left here and went to Nebraska and Iowa. They lost track of each other through the years.

I found four Meuret’s in the telephone book in Wenatchee, Wisconsin. I wrote and Harry Meuret answered my letter. That’s how we got together several generations later.

Henry P. Meuret was my Paternal Grandfather.

Margaret Meuret Tidd (written about 1978)



MHMT (1905-1992) written about 1980

#4 The Koepp Family

Emma Augusta Koepp was born in Posen, Germany, the youngest child of John Herman and Philomena Elfman Koepp. Her father was German and her mother was Dutch. Her mother died when Emma was 2 and 1/2 years old.

John Herman Koepp had a flour mill in Posen. He ground the farmers grain into flour. He was a kind, quiet man. His hobby was raising fruit trees on his ten acre tract of land.

John married again , so Emma had a step mother, who was like the story book type of step mothers we read about.

When Emma was old enough to do a little work she had to watch the geese while they ate in the stubble fields around the mill. Emma was barefoot and the stubble cut her feet. It was a lonely, monotonous job during summer vacations to watch the geese. Many times she had the geese of neighbors in the flock, too.

Emma had one brother, Edward, and one sister, Alvina. They all went to school and it was the rule that all German children learned English as well as German in Grade School. (The Kaiser’s sister was Queen of England).

When brother Edward became 18 he was to go to serve in the Kaiser’s army for 3 years. Grandpa wsn’t happy about this, so he had Edward take his cousin’s papers and arrangements were made for Edward to go to America, the land of golden opportunity. In those days no man could leave Germany unless he’d served in the army and had his papers to prove it. Germany had a big standing army.^

Later on Grandpa sold his mill and he and Alvina and Emma came to U.S. Mother told me Forest Street in 1885, when she came here, was just 2 ruts in the woods.

Alvina married and so Emma stayed and kept house for her father. They had a couple acres by the Wausau Junction. The French kids had to pass her house on their way to town or church. Emma soon got acquainted with some of them and went along to Mass with them at St. Marys. Grandpa thought that was alright. No harm done. Emma had been confirmed German Lutheran in Germany.

Emma learned to speak French as the French kids couldn’t speak the two languages she knew. That was the beginning of the Romance between Emma Augusta Koepp and Henry Meuret which was to last for the rest of their lives.


Writings of Margaret Helen Meuret Tidd (1905-1992)

Document # 6 Summer Time on The Farm



Fair Time

Oh, the joys of going to The Fair. When I was real young, (1910) Mother took all of us to the Fair. She’d pack a big basket of lunch and we’d walk to the street car line. Mrs. Swanson and her kids would join us. We took the street car.

At the Fair Grounds (Marathon County Memorial Park) we all had our Fair ticket which was given to us the last day of school with our report card - Then Mother and Mrs. Swanson (and the picnic baskets) were seated in rockers in the old white building inside the gates. There all the Mothers sat. We kids ran away to see the sights, smell the odors, and enjoy the hustle and bustle of a County Fair. We listened to the Hawkers and Hucksters - we watched the mini shows outside the tents - we walked thru the cattle bans, we came back ever so often for a sandwich and away we’d go again. We’d lean against the fence and watch the harness races. Then ’bout 3:30 we’d be on our way back via the street car and shank’s mare to The Farm, in time to do the evening milking - a tired, happy bunch of kids.

Later on, Mother didn’t go along, but delegated sister Anne to take us to the Fair. Then we stayed for the fire works.

Alvin Gruenwald, Mother’s nephew and, of course, my first cousin, used to come from Athens, WI every summer and visit for a few weeks. How we disliked him. We were jealous of him. Mother petted him!!! He was her only sister’s son and she let him do things we couldn’t do - We could only go on the Milk Wagon once in the summer, but Alvin got to go along every day he wished to go. Now, I ask you, is that fair? We got scolded lots of times because Alvin tattled! He was a thorn in our side! He grew up, joined the U S Navy and became a dentist. Now he’s dead - Alvin died in 1983.

My second cousin Frank, (wife was Clara DeLisle) was a widower as long as I can remember. I only knew his son, Alex, who came to The Farm real often with his three eldest boys. Alex and my Dad, Henry, liked each other and Dad treated him like a brother or son. I remember Cousin Frank speaking of Sylina and Emma who later married a Lillie.

Growing up on The Farm was full of good things - we had good parents, good food, good clothes, a good Christian life, and a happy home.

Written by Margaret Helen Meuret Tidd ca 1984.


This is from a letter from Neva, about Jacob Meuret's grave.

Feb. 10, 2001

Dear Meuret Family Members,

We are all descendents of Jean Henri Meuret and Catherine Marchal, either from Francois, Jacques (Jacob), or Henry P Meuret.

They came from France by steerage, leaving their country, home, church, family, friends, and a familiar way of life, on a perilous journey to try to carve out a new future for themselves and for us, the generations who were yet to be born. They brought their wives and babies and a pitifully small bundle of necessities. They carried grape and fruit tree cuttings and seedlings for food, and rose cuttings and lilac sticks for the soul. They brought their music and songs and poetry and a legacy of courage and a joy of life, and, over 150 years later, The Meuret Clan is here, each person living a life style made possible by our brave ancestors so long ago. We are scattered from Chicago westward to Washington State.

One of the 3 Meuret brothers lies today in an unmarked grave at Woodlawn Cemetery, Snohomish County, Washington. The site was discovered by a Volunteer Genealogist who was Indexing and Catagloging the graves.

Jacques "Jacob" Meuret rests there, departed since 1902 - Block 2, Lot 98 , Space 2, unacknowledged but not forgotten by his family. We remember our people.

May God bless all the Meurets, living and dead



Article donated by LOUISE MARIE WEBBER COX, 1989

Excerpt: page V


Just South of the Bartlett farm, and across the road, Frank Meuret and family, coming direct from France, took a homestead in 1851. A daughter, now residing in Nebraska, writes thus of their early experiences.

"We came from France, and after a long voyage on the water, we arrived in New York, from there by train to the Great Lakes and on the Great Lakes to Milwaukee, from there, by train to Beloit and from Beloit by oxen out to the little homestead. Of course none of us could speak a word of English. The first night that we slept in our little crude log cabin, the snow blew in so furiously that we had to put parasols up to keep it off the bed. I also recall that we bought eggs from Mr. Bartlett at three cents a dozen."

At this time there were few settlers, but the district grew rapidly. Long before his death, Mr. Meuret had fine buildings on his place. The log house was remodeled until you would never guess that the backbone of the present house was made out of the "Forest Primeval". He kept adding farm after farm to his original homestead, and raising stock until he had the largest stock farm in Newark.

He and his wife, both lived on the farm until death claimed them. Then the farm passed into the hands of strangers. At the present time it is owned by Casper Weber, a prosperous farmer who is noted for his beautiful herd of purebred holstiens. Two demonstrations of the cattle have been held at this farm the past years.


Among others of the first settlers we find the name of Henry Miers, a native of England, who first settled in the Southwestern part of our district. On an old abstract we find, "Unite States of America to Henry Miers, Sept. 24, 1845, " and then follows a description of the 120 acre land tract he purchased.

In 1853, it was sold to Luke Osgood, who retained it only three years, when it reverted back to Mr. Miers. In 1868 sixty acres of this land became the property of Charles Miers, a son, who married a daughter of Frank Meuret. (note: Mary Francis "Mate" Lestin Meuret)

Mr. Miers served in the Civil War nearly four years, and was in the Calahoble Prison situated on the Alabama River, for 114 days. He is still living, at the present time, March28, 1922, at his present home in Neligh, Nebraska. He has passed his 90th year, but his mind is s clear as ever, though, per chance his limbs Are not as spry as when he marched so bravely off to the war in 1961.

The other 60 acres of the Miers Homestead was purchased by John Edwards, who with a friend, walked all the way from Canada to try his fortune in the Wilderness, for such it was at that time. Mr. Edwards and wife and two children, Kate, who died many years and John Jr who became owner of the farm upon the death of his father in 1845. It is still in his possession.


Return to Stories and Histories main page

Return to Marathon County home page