The mainly one-room schoolhouses represented on these pages are correct as of the early portions of the 20th century. We welcome additional information and class photographs from patrons and students of those schools. Anyone with additions or corrections to this list is asked to contact the Langlade County Historical Society Museum at (715) 627-4464 or e-mail at
firstname.lastname@example.org. These pages will be updated frequently.
FOREST VIEW: This district was well-named for the children trudging to and from daily tasks at school who had a wonderful panorama of natureís art to view. The school was erected in 1900 and replaced a frame structure and, earlier, a log cabin. The 1922-23 teacher was Leona
OLD NEW: GOOD LUCK The first log school was erected here in 1891 and was used until 1909 when a frame school was built. The enrollment averaged six to eight pupils. The 1921-23 teacher was Blanche Bonnell.
LIBERTY BELL: This district was situated in the northeastern part of the township, with an area of 5,760 acres Not much is written about this school, although it is known that the [922-23 teacher was Luella Joles. School officials were Martin Strandberg, clerk; A. Engles, director; and W.W. Scott, treasurer.
ELM WOOD: This school district was created in 1908 and was located in the southeastern portion of Vilas township. The first school was built in 1882 and was a one-room log cabin. It was used advantageously for years and early teachers were L. Hermanson, Mrs. M.A. Dexter, Hannah Reader, S. Gunderson, Emma Molzberger, Mary Cadigan, Theresa Wanniger, Ella Rynders, J. Ross, Adell Muscher, Allie Kennedy, Olive M. Space, Alice Casper, Ruth Graves and Irene Marshall. A new school was built in 1898 for $375 and was used until 1921 when a modern brick building was erected at a cost of $8,000 by H. Hoffschmidt.
In addition to the schools listed above, various maps and histories of Langlade County make reference to other educational facilities. Elcho was home to a Lakeview School perhaps an early forerunner of the graded school, and Robert Dessureauís 1922 makes no mention of Highland and Lincoln Schools, probably small facilities in the town of Polar. Other schools not mentioned in the history, but included in 1922 maps, were Brown Bear, located mid-distance between Little Chicago in Neva and Forest in Upham; Freeman, located in the hinterlands of the town of Langlade; Ackley School, located in the center of Ackley township; Phlox, cited between Strassburg in Rolling and Maple Grove in Norwood; and Langlade and Wilson, located amidst a hodgepodge of educational facilities in far western Langlade County. County children relied on these schools, and many others whose memories have faded into mist, for advancement and education toward the 21st century. They performed their missions well