School District 17 was set aside by the order of the county commissioners in January of 1855. Joseph Johnston was elected first chairman and Charles Smith, clerk. Wm. Johnston, Knud Salveson and Daniel Pomeroy were chosen as trustees; but, Daniel Pomeroy resigned and Segor Anderson was selected to fill the position. By 1858 the district name was changed to 48 as there was another district 17. Later it became district 16.
The record book gives details of the first building for which a tax of $200 was raised. The trustees gave specific directions for the painting of the building. It was to be red with window and door frames, cornish and corner boards to be white. The door was to be blue or slate color. This building west of Houston was always known as "The Little Red Schoolhouse." It became a community center and meeting place for religious services. In 1876 a new building was erected south of the first site.
Records show there were 57 scholars in 1860. Expenses for the year were as follows: broom & tin dipper 40 cts. siding for the back house 50 cts. going to Caledonia for the school money, three times, 2 dollars. for glass 20 cts. whole amount $3.10. $75.72 was drawn from the county for the year.
|Amidon||Willie||1878, 1879, 1880|
|Fowler||Carrie A.||1857, 1858|
|Harris||Melvina||1861, 1862, 1863|
|Marsh||Charles||1875, 1876, 1877|
|Smith||Charles||1861, 1863, 1869, 1875|
These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in this format for profit or presentation. This includes linking to this site using frames, by any other organization or persons without the written and posted permission from this site's Coordinator(s).
Last updated 11.11.2003